Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,440
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412247 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you can call it an obsession when the church is still committing the same crimes.
Yeah...amazing that after 2000 years of Christianity people are STILL sinning. Whodathunkit?

FACT: Catholic priests abuse at a rate far lower than that of other males in the general population.

FACT: Almost all accusations against Catholic priests date from decades ago, and indeed nearly half of all abuse accusations concern priests who are already dead. In an institution of 77 million people, contemporaneous accusations of abuse against Catholic clergy in the United States are very rare, recently averaging only 8.5 allegations deemed "credible" each year.

http://www.themediareport.com/fast-facts/
Fun Facts

Saginaw, MI

#412248 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Most likely, you do not realize that you have proven all those religions, including the catholic religion, to be man made.
Ask yourself this very simple question: If the Earth is billions of years old or a few thousand; why did your god wait so long to correct his mistake?
Your religion claims that your god is prefect, knows everything and is everywhere, yet he sat back for thousands of years, knowing that 99.9% of the human, was going to be damned to hell.
One, because he only showed himself to a very small group of people and two, he waited so long before having himself or his son, depending on your beliefs, martyred to himself!
Sit back and take that in.
From St. Justin Martyr
"We have been taught that Christ is the first-begotten of God, and we have declared him to be the Logos of which all mankind partakes [John 1:9]. Those, therefore, who lived according to reason [Greek, logos] were really Christians, even though they were thought to be atheists, such as, among the Greeks, Socrates, Heraclitus, and others like them.... Those who lived before Christ but did not live according to reason [logos] were wicked men, and enemies of Christ, and murderers of those who did live according to reason [logos], whereas those who lived then or who live now according to reason [logos] are Christians. Such as these can be confident and unafraid" (First Apology 46 [A.D. 151]).

Questions?
http://avemariaradio.net/catholic-online-radi...
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#412249 Dec 29, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>do as we say,not as we do,if you do what the popes and vatican councilors have done in the past,your definately buying a ticket to hell.(if it exists),pope leo x "
“Since God has given us the papacy, let us enjoy it.”
“Christianity assumed a pagan character” as Leo doggedly pursued worldly pleasures.
That is right jethro I agree.
Man has crawled into a box of religion, and now they are trapped there.
Instead of sticking to the gospel that Jesus preached, they have created a tradition of man made religious doctrine. It has nothing to do with Christ, Jethro .
The catholic faith has built a man made institution, built on the teachings of corrupted greedy blood thirst men.
If I agreed with the catholic doctrine, I would be saying to people it is ok if they robbed, tortured, and murdered millions of people, its ok if the priest and nuns raped and beat little children, its ok if the POPE lied about it.
How anyone can sit in such a vile evil place and call it the only true church of Christ is mind boggling.
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412250 Dec 29, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're child abuse obssession is creepy. You should check with the VA hospital in your area, they probably have some good psychotherapists.
My comments go directly to the title of this thread.

Your denial is creepy, especially in light of your Church's own John Jay Report.

In fact, you have shown us with links that there is a Catholic cottage industry just for the deniers. Sick...

"The media made it up."

"The priests were provoked by the children."

etc...

ON TOPIC.....

Creepy = Catholic belief that Jesus used Bonito Mussolini to help protect his supposedly "only guided church" to avoid accountability in the largest child sex-abuse cover-up in world history.
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#412251 Dec 29, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Fool. That's all.
No Clay you have been fooled, big time.

Your catholic faith is not in the gospel of Jesus its in man made teaching. Of all your past Popes who were evil men.
They were not happy just torturing the body, they had to go farther and rape and torture heart, body, mind, and soul.
I know I will never convince you of that, but it is the truth.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412252 Dec 29, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
That is right jethro I agree.
Man has crawled into a box of religion, and now they are trapped there.
Instead of sticking to the gospel that Jesus preached, they have created a tradition of man made religious doctrine. It has nothing to do with Christ, Jethro .
The catholic faith has built a man made institution, built on the teachings of corrupted greedy blood thirst men.
If I agreed with the catholic doctrine, I would be saying to people it is ok if they robbed, tortured, and murdered millions of people, its ok if the priest and nuns raped and beat little children, its ok if the POPE lied about it.
How anyone can sit in such a vile evil place and call it the only true church of Christ is mind boggling.
How someone as ignorant and uninformed as you are and thinks she understands the bible, Catholic teaching and history is mind boggling.
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412253 Dec 29, 2012
Per a Catholic Apostolic Successor, who Jesus supposedly uses to deliver himself to mankind.....

Murdered women deserved it.

"Children are left outside alone, homes are dirty, meals are served cold or are fast-food-like, clothing is filthy,"

"They [women] trigger the worst instincts, leading to violence and sexual abuse. They should do a self-examination and think: did we ask for it?"

This is Jesus' one and only guided church folks.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412254 Dec 29, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
My comments go directly to the title of this thread.
Your denial is creepy, especially in light of your Church's own John Jay Report.
In fact, you have shown us with links that there is a Catholic cottage industry just for the deniers. Sick...
"The media made it up."
"The priests were provoked by the children."
etc...
ON TOPIC.....
Creepy = Catholic belief that Jesus used Bonito Mussolini to help protect his supposedly "only guided church" to avoid accountability in the largest child sex-abuse cover-up in world history.
I would guess that upwards of 90% of your posts are about child sex abuse, crude jokes about sexial acts with priests, organizations that support child sex, etc. You have a problem. You should get some help.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#412255 Dec 29, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...amazing that after 2000 years of Christianity people are STILL sinning. Whodathunkit?
FACT: Catholic priests abuse at a rate far lower than that of other males in the general population.
FACT: Almost all accusations against Catholic priests date from decades ago, and indeed nearly half of all abuse accusations concern priests who are already dead. In an institution of 77 million people, contemporaneous accusations of abuse against Catholic clergy in the United States are very rare, recently averaging only 8.5 allegations deemed "credible" each year.
Nothing that, I have found, suggests that you are correct. Not only are the abuses not 'far less', they are not 'less', at all.

Your source is quite bias.

Now, with all that said, sex abuse is committed equally among the population; why do we pick on religious groups?

Simple, religious groups claim that they are guided by god, jesus, and or the holy spirit and that most others who do not buy into their specific beliefs, are damned to hell.

Other than Penn State, I know of no other, non-religious organization that has tried to cover up sex abuse. do you?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412256 Dec 29, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
No Clay you have been fooled, big time.
Your catholic faith is not in the gospel of Jesus its in man made teaching. Of all your past Popes who were evil men.
They were not happy just torturing the body, they had to go farther and rape and torture heart, body, mind, and soul.
I know I will never convince you of that, but it is the truth.
You wouldn't know truth if it smacked you upside the head. I still think you're projecting from the abuse you received from your pentecostal minister father.
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412257 Dec 29, 2012
Catholics claim that Jesus gave the RCC special powers -- but then closed His eyes while these special powers were used to foster a worldwide, decades-long cover-up of child sex abuse.

Nope, this church is not what it claims -- for we know it by their deeds.

Jesus warned us and above all, Jesus is not a child abuse enabler.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#412258 Dec 29, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
From St. Justin Martyr
"We have been taught that Christ is the first-begotten of God, and we have declared him to be the Logos of which all mankind partakes [John 1:9]. Those, therefore, who lived according to reason [Greek, logos] were really Christians, even though they were thought to be atheists, such as, among the Greeks, Socrates, Heraclitus, and others like them.... Those who lived before Christ but did not live according to reason [logos] were wicked men, and enemies of Christ, and murderers of those who did live according to reason [logos], whereas those who lived then or who live now according to reason [logos] are Christians. Such as these can be confident and unafraid" (First Apology 46 [A.D. 151]).
Questions?
http://avemariaradio.net/catholic-online-radi...
Yeah, I have a question. How much did you have to smoke to buy into that?!?!
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412259 Dec 29, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
Per a Catholic Apostolic Successor, who Jesus supposedly uses to deliver himself to mankind.....
Murdered women deserved it.
"Children are left outside alone, homes are dirty, meals are served cold or are fast-food-like, clothing is filthy,"
"They [women] trigger the worst instincts, leading to violence and sexual abuse. They should do a self-examination and think: did we ask for it?"
This is Jesus' one and only guided church folks.
Wrong. The bishop is the successor, not the priest who was admonished by his bishop and volunteered to leave the priesthood.

You're a real chain yanker aren't you? Get help.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#412260 Dec 29, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I would guess that upwards of 90% of your posts are about child sex abuse, crude jokes about sexial acts with priests, organizations that support child sex, etc. You have a problem. You should get some help.
What do Penn State, the catholic church and the boy scouts have in common?

They all tried to cover up a terrible crime.

As a group, they decided to cover up crimes against children.

Which, of the three mentioned, has taken responsibility for their actions?

Penn State, the only non-religious group.
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412261 Dec 29, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I would guess that upwards of 90% of your posts are about child sex abuse, crude jokes about sexual acts with priests, organizations that support child sex, etc. You have a problem. You should get some help.
Nope, you only focus on that because you know deep inside -- like most normal humans -- that no worthy God would empower the Catholic Church and then allow such deeds in God's name.

It strikes at the heart of the RCC's claim -- which was the reason for the cover-up in the first place. DUH!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, if you wish to expand your horizons beyond abused children, I have posted links to other RCC absurdities today. Would you prefer to defend those instead?

Be my guest... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412262 Dec 29, 2012
Why would Jesus "one true" and solely guided church ---------- require diplomatic immunity?

And why would Jesus use someone like Bonito Mussolini to protect His supposed one-true church?

Ouch!!!
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412263 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing that, I have found, suggests that you are correct. Not only are the abuses not 'far less', they are not 'less', at all.
Your source is quite bias.
Now, with all that said, sex abuse is committed equally among the population; why do we pick on religious groups?
Simple, religious groups claim that they are guided by god, jesus, and or the holy spirit and that most others who do not buy into their specific beliefs, are damned to hell.
Other than Penn State, I know of no other, non-religious organization that has tried to cover up sex abuse. do you?
Yes, they are far less. No, my source is not biased, it uses statistics from organizations that are not tied to the Catholic Church. Yes, the public school systems are filled with teachers whose abuse goes un-reported.

From the link I provided;

Per the US Department of Education (biased ?) "nearly 9.6 percent of [public school] students are targets of educator sexual misconduct sometime during their school career."

"Hofstra University's Dr. Charol Shakeshaft(biased?), the author of the study, to opine in 2006, "[T]hink the Catholic Church has a problem? The physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests."

Meanwhile, that same 2004 report cited an important study from the mid-1990s:

"In an early [1994] study of 225 cases of educator sexual abuse in New York, all of the accused had admitted to sexual abuse of a student but none of the abusers was reported to authorities."

The 1994 study also reported that only 1 percent of those abusive educators lost their license. In addition, most alarmingly, "25 percent received no consequence or were reprimanded informally and off-the-record. Nearly 39 percent chose to leave the district, most with positive recommendations or even retirement packages intact."

Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412264 Dec 29, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The bishop is the successor, not the priest who was admonished by his bishop and volunteered to leave the priesthood.
You're a real chain yanker aren't you? Get help.
OK, a successor-in-waiting --- a unique person whose supposed powers were bestowed directly by Jesus --- the powers that are supposed to validate the "one-true" claim.

I hope that clarifies.

Now, spin away :o)

This Priest is a reflection of his sick environment.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412265 Dec 29, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you only focus on that because you know deep inside -- like most normal humans -- that no worthy God would empower the Catholic Church and then allow such deeds in God's name.
It strikes at the heart of the RCC's claim -- which was the reason for the cover-up in the first place. DUH!!!!!!!!!!
Of course, if you wish to expand your horizons beyond abused children, I have posted links to other RCC absurdities today. Would you prefer to defend those instead?
Be my guest... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Yup, you spend an inordinate amount of time and effort focused on child sex. I think you need some serious help.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#412266 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What do Penn State, the catholic church and the boy scouts have in common?
They all tried to cover up a terrible crime.
As a group, they decided to cover up crimes against children.
Which, of the three mentioned, has taken responsibility for their actions?
Penn State, the only non-religious group.
There was no concerted effort to cover up.

From the 1950s through the 1970s, the Catholic Church, following the then-prevailing societal practice, sent suspected abusers to psychologists rather than calling the police.

In this respect, the Church was far from alone. When the Church was sending accused priests to psychological treatment, "the criminal justice system was doing the very same thing with convicted offenders – sending them to treatment instead of prison."

"From the 1950's to the 1980's, these treatment-based interventions for sexual criminals were not only enormously prevalent in the United States, but surveys of ordinary citizens showed that they were enormously popular …

"[T]he science of human sexuality and sexual offending is extraordinarily young. Virtually all of the information we utilize today regarding the treatment and supervision of sexual offenders has been discovered since 1985."
– Dr. Monica Applewhite, Ph.D.

Yet in almost every media account, the media has failed to provide this important historical context that the Church was following the then-reigning advice of experts to send accused priests to treatment.

"No one would hold a brain surgeon to today's standard of care for professional decisions he made in 1970. Yet the decisions made in 1970 by Catholic bishops, who routinely consulted with mental health professionals about sick priests, are being judged by today's standards. Today, the confidence of the mental health community about the likelihood of curing sexual disorders is far less than it was in 1970."
– L. Martin Nussbaum, "Changing the Rules" (America magazine, 2006)

Tragically, sending accused priests to treatment rather than reporting them to the police only resulted in a high rate of recidivism among those priests. According to the 2004 John Jay College report, 149 priests were "serial abusers" (10+ victims) and accounted for an alarming 26% of all of the abuse between 1950 and 2002.

Yet these 149 men represent only one-tenth of one percent of all priests who served in the Catholic Church in the United States between 1950 and 2002. Most accused priests (56%) have been the subject of only one allegation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Jesus saves 8,720
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence 9 hr QUITTNER Dec 26 2014 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Dec 23 USA Born 83,901
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Dec 23 woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web