Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#412134 Dec 28, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Is it your words or your deeds that identifies one as a christian? Can one live like the devil if they say they are christians and really be taken seriously?
The Bible itself records instances where God commanded that formal, legal inquiries—that is, inquisitions—be carried out to expose secret believers in false religions. In Deuteronomy 17:2–5 God said: "If there is found among you, within any of your towns which the Lord your God gives you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, in transgressing his covenant, and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, and it is told you and you hear of it; then you shall inquire diligently [note that phrase: "inquire diligently"], and if it is true and certain that such an abominable thing has been done in Israel, then you shall bring forth to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones."

It is clear that there were some Israelites who posed as believers in and keepers of the covenant with Yahweh, while inwardly they did not believe and secretly practiced false religions, and even tried to spread them (cf. Deut. 13:6–11). To protect the kingdom from such hidden heresy, these secret practitioners of false religions had to be rooted out and expelled from the community. This directive from the Lord applied even to whole cities that turned away from the true religion (Deut. 13:12–18). Like Israel, medieval Europe was a society of Christian kingdoms that were formally consecrated to the Lord Jesus Christ. It is therefore quite understandable that these Catholics would read their Bibles and conclude that for the good of their Christian society they, like the Israelites before them, "must purge the evil from the midst of you" (Deut. 13:5, 17:7, 12). Paul repeats this principle in 1 Corinthians 5:13.

These same texts were interpreted similarly by the first Protestants, who also tried to root out and punish those they regarded as heretics. Luther and Calvin both endorsed the right of the state to protect society by purging false religion. In fact, Calvin not only banished from Geneva those who did not share his views, he permitted and in some cases ordered others to be executed for "heresy" (e.g. Jacques Gouet, tortured and beheaded in 1547; and Michael Servetus, burned at the stake in 1553). In England and Ireland, Reformers engaged in their own ruthless inquisitions and executions. Conservative estimates indicate that thousands of English and Irish Catholics were put to death—many by being hanged, drawn, and quartered—for practicing the Catholic faith and refusing to become Protestant. An even greater number were forced to flee to the Continent for their safety. We point this out to show that the situation was a two-way street; and both sides easily understood the Bible to require the use of penal sanctions to root out false religion from Christian society.

The fact that the Protestant Reformers also created inquisitions to root out Catholics and others who did not fall into line with the doctrines of the local Protestant sect shows that the existence of an inquisition does not prove that a movement is not of God. Protestants cannot make this claim against Catholics without having it backfire on themselves. Neither can Catholics make such a charge against Protestants. The truth of a particular system of belief must be decided on other grounds.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-inquisitio...
truth

Perth, Australia

#412135 Dec 28, 2012
Satan used bible perfectly..calculated too.
They come in my name but still spiting over that name..corupt lips.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#412136 Dec 28, 2012
Clay wrote:
The Devil couldn't touch Church doctrine and dogma, so he settled for a corrupted Priest to do it...OUTSIDE of the Church.
Whats the first thing Satan did once he had Luther in his grasp?
He changed the meaning of the Eucharist..
Then he made every one think they didn't need the Church anymore. They only needed the New Testament and they could determine for themselves what Christianity is.
Thousands of cults later....he's got you all running around thinking you're going to Heaven no matter what ya do!
Tupac Shakur's Mom's eulogy: "my son went home to Jesus".
not so fast Mrs. Shakur. You son glamorized violence and promoted disgusting songs about woman.
You were told the wrong Gospel and so was your son. You guys were falsely mislead into thinking your faith in Christ was enough to get you into Heaven.
wise up 4gvn, you can't be teaching the wrong gospel.
The sad fact is Clay, that you don't even know what the GOSPEL is and can't, and never have shared it with anyone.
truth

Perth, Australia

#412137 Dec 28, 2012
Possessor is not Creator.

Nothing to do with creation if you descover..yes you descover but not created..as well in that name you call yourself creator..but i say to you.. you are man not real Creator.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#412138 Dec 28, 2012
who=" Anthony MN"
The "Roman" Catholic Church was written to by St. Paul. Your KJV would call it "Romans".
Thanks.

Paul was a Roman citizen, but he was fully Jewish, of the tribe of Benjamin. He was not a Catholic. The church at Rome was Jesus' church.

The Romans (Nero) burned many of them at the stake. Some of them were thrown to the lions.

KayMarie
marge

Ames, IA

#412139 Dec 28, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was referring to those in His Church, not protest-ants (protesters of His Church).
Lose the pride, lose the arrogance that you are inspired and come home to His Church. God bless.
Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such a high priest, who sat down on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#412140 Dec 28, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Bible promises me eternal life (with out exception) if I beleive"
See my above post about Tupac Shakur. He was a gangster rapper. He is just one of millions that have been duped by your false doctrine into thinking they are 'promised eternal life without exception".
So Tupac is 'proof' that our gospel is wrong... but your murderig,torturing cover- up church is the REAL DEAL.
Make sense to you?
truth

Perth, Australia

#412141 Dec 28, 2012
Jesus did not say if others drove or rewrote..Are you for sure Anthony..no you are wrong?

Jesus say;'i am within you..if you believe your soul will flow as river.'

place where you gathering together you call church.

But i am within you..still i am not care what others think or misused.
truth

Perth, Australia

#412142 Dec 28, 2012
Jewish people reject Jesus.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#412143 Dec 28, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>You place blind faith in an instution who tells you that they are the 'one true church'. And you don't feel that you are intelligent enough to even question them. Jesus said 'come, LET US REASON TOGETHER'.
It's not an "institution", its the Church Jesus founded. I put my faith in the Church because it's Christ's Mystical Body.
preston

Waverly, OH

#412144 Dec 28, 2012
truth wrote:
Possessor is not Creator.
Nothing to do with creation if you descover..yes you descover but not created..as well in that name you call yourself creator..but i say to you.. you are man not real Creator.
after BILL posted on your IP addy, Your English got a whole lot better.and since you have been in Aust. for several decades, you should speak that language fluently, saying that, I AINT GOING TO TAKE UP FOR YOU AGAIN. i BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE JUST BEEN JIVING US, WITH YOUR JIBBERISH.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#412146 Dec 28, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>So Tupac is 'proof' that our gospel is wrong... but your murderig,torturing cover- up church is the REAL DEAL.
Make sense to you?
Please provide a link where the Church murdered and tortured.
I have a quote ready from Pope Sixtus IV condemning the Spanish Monarchy for what they were doing. I assume that is the Inquisition you're referring to?
Why don't you actually read something on history, instead of relying on your cult pamphlets you all hand out to people.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#412147 Dec 28, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who=" Anthony MN"
The "Roman" Catholic Church was written to by St. Paul. Your KJV would call it "Romans".
Thanks.
Paul was a Roman citizen, but he was fully Jewish, of the tribe of Benjamin. He was not a Catholic. The church at Rome was Jesus' church.
The Romans (Nero) burned many of them at the stake. Some of them were thrown to the lions.
KayMarie
Catholic means "universal". It was the name given to the Christian Church. St. Paul was a member of the Catholic (universal Christian Church) and founded the Church in Rome with St. Peter. They were both martyred in Rome by the pagan emperor, as we're many other Catholics.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#412148 Dec 28, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not an "institution", its the Church Jesus founded. I put my faith in the Church because it's Christ's Mystical Body.
~~~

So Jesus mystical body has fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness...and it is exclusively the Roman Catholic Church?

Jesus died for all sinners,

not just a few heathens that claim a franchise and monopoly ON HIS GRACE.

The Apostle Paul wrote..

Eph 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

NOTE
Eph 3:6 --> That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:<--

Eph 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Eph 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Eph 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

Eph 3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
truth

Perth, Australia

#412149 Dec 28, 2012
29 4
thousand thousand thousand..
man melodic voice..

they hear my prayers..
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03447a.htm

25 3..is that true that we can be multiply soul..or someone used mine..did i used others..maybe.
Are you for sure Anthony who they are and who am I?
truth

Perth, Australia

#412150 Dec 28, 2012
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/150....
read did she liked fix up all..
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#412151 Dec 28, 2012
Catholics contend that the whole world is indebted to the Roman Catholic church for the existence of the Bible. This is another of their attempts to exalt the church as an authority in addition to the Bible.

Please notice the following from Catholic sources:
"If she had not scrutinized carefully the writings of her children, rejecting some and approving others as worthy of inclusion in the canon of the New Testament, there would be no New Testament today.
"If she had not declared the books composing the New Testament to be inspired word of God, we would not know it.
"The only authority which non-Catholics have for the inspiration of the Scriptures is the authority of the Catholic Church." (The Faith of Millions, p. 145)
"It is only by the divine authority of the Catholic Church that Christians know that the scripture is the word of God, and what books certainly belong to the Bible." (The Question Box, p. 46)
"It was the Catholic Church and no other which selected and listed the inspired books of both the Old Testament and the New Testament...If you can accept the Bible or any part of it as inspired Word of God, you can do so only because the Catholic Church says it is." (The Bible is a Catholic Book, p. 4).
The Catholic writers quoted above state that one can accept the Bible as being inspired and as having authority only on the basis of the Catholic Church. In reality, the Bible is inspired and has authority, not because a church declared it so, but because God made it so. God delivered it by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and declared that it would abide forever. "All scripture is inspired of God..." (2 Tim. 3:16). "...Holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit." (2 Pet. 1:21). "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away." (Matt. 24:35). "The grass withered, and the flower has fallen--but the word of the Lord endures forever." (1 Pet. 1:24-25). The Catholics are wrong, therefore, in their assumption that the Bible is authoritative only because of the Catholic Church. The Bible does not owe its existence to the Catholic Church, but to the authority, power and providence of God.
truth

Perth, Australia

#412152 Dec 28, 2012
http://www.google.com.au/search...
She have mystical wounds.
She is been protestant to reform church.
My previous telephone number stay entirely birth as well death.

Why I am wrong confe?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#412153 Dec 28, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
So Jesus mystical body has fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness...and it is exclusively the Roman Catholic Church?
Jesus died for all sinners,
not just a few heathens that claim a franchise and monopoly ON HIS GRACE.
The Apostle Paul wrote..
Eph 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
NOTE
Eph 3:6 --> That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:<--
Eph 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
Eph 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Eph 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
Eph 3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
Matthew 13:24-30
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#412154 Dec 28, 2012
Because it never was a Bible, till the infallible Church pronounced it to be so. The separate treatises, each of them inspired, were lying, as it were dispersedly; easy to confound with others, that were uninspired. The Church gathered them up, selected them, pronounced judgment on them; rejecting some, which she defined and declared not to be canonical, because not inspired; adopting others as being inspired, and therefore canonical." (What Is the Bible? p. 6).
"And since the books of the Bible constituting both the Old and the New Testament were determined solely by the authority of the Catholic Church, without the Church there would have been no Bible, and hence no Protestantism." (The Faith of Millions, p. 10).
In addition to the above, Catholics often boast that the Bible was written by Catholics, e.g., "All the books of the New Testament were written by Catholics." (The Bible is a Catholic Book, p. 14). When we consider the word "catholic" as meaning "universal," we readily admit that the writers were "catholic" in that sense; they were members of the church universal--the church of Christ which is described in the New Testament Scriptures (Col. 1:18; Rom. 16:16). However, we firmly deny that the writers of the New Testament were members of the Roman Catholic Church as we know it today. The Roman Catholic Church was not fully developed until several hundred years after the New Testament was written. It is not the same institution as disclosed in the New Testament. The New Testament books were written by members of the Lord's church, but they are not its author. God Himself is the author of the New Testament.

The Catholic officials above claim that without the Catholic Church there would be no Bible; they argue that mankind can accept the Scriptures only on the basis of the Catholic Church which gathered the books and determined which were inspired. Surely the Catholic Church cannot claim that it gave us the Old Testament Scriptures. The Old Testament came through the Jews (God's chosen people of old) who had the holy oracles entrusted to them. Paul said, "What advantage then remains to the Jew, or what is the use of circumcision? Much in every respect. First, indeed, because the oracles of God were entrusted to them." (Rom. 3:1-2; see also Rom. 9:4-5; Acts 7:38).

The Old Testament books were gathered into one volume and were translated from Hebrew into Greek long before Christ came to earth. The Septuagint Version was translated by seventy scholars at Alexandria, Egypt around the year 227 B.C., and this was the version Christ and His apostles used. Christ did not tell the people, as Catholics do today, that they could accept the Scriptures only on the basis of the authority of those who gathered them and declared them to be inspired. He urged the people of His day to follow the Old Testament Scriptures as the infallible guide, not because man or any group of men has sanctioned them as such, but because they came from God. Furthermore, He understood that God-fearing men and women would be able to discern by evidence (external and internal) which books were of God and which were not; thus, He never raised questions and doubts concerning the gathering of the inspired books.

If the Bible is a Catholic book, why does it nowhere mention the Catholic Church? Why is there no mention of a pope, a cardinal, an archbishop, a parish priest, a nun, or a member of any other Catholic order? If the Bible is a Catholic book, why is auricular confession, indulgences, prayers to the saints, adoration of Mary, veneration of relics and images, and many other rites and ceremonies of the Catholic Church, left out of it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 1 hr RayOne 8
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 1 hr Patriot 84,125
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 5 hr Crazy 9,205
News Pinoys in NY prepare for Calungsod's sainthood (Aug '12) Sun untilthelighttak ... 209
News Pope on free speech: What about turning the oth... Sat KristoFMYsagun 11
News Cuban bishop says news of papal visit brings 'h... May 1 the AWSOME Cowboy 1
News Woman excommunicated from Catholic Church calls... Apr 30 untilthelighttak ... 2
More from around the web