Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589813 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#409644 Dec 15, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
VI. I Have Been Saved (past event)
Rom. 8:24 - for in this hope we were saved (but, again, why "hope" if salvation is a certainty?)
Eph. 2:5,8 - for by grace you have been saved through faith.
2 Tim. 1:9 - He saved us and called us through grace and not by virtue of our own works outside of His grace.
Titus 3:5 - He saved us in virtue of His own mercy, and not by our deeds.
VII. I Am Being Saved (present event)
1 Cor. 1:18 - for the word of the cross is folly to those perishing, but for to us who are being saved, it is the power of God. Salvation is not a one-time event. It is a process of perseverance through faith, hope and love.
2 Cor. 2:15 - for we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved. Salvation is a continual process.
Phil. 2:12 - we are working out our salvation through fear and trembling. Salvation is an ongoing process.
1 Peter 1:9 - you obtain the salvation of your souls as the outcome of your faith. Working out our salvation in fear and trembling is a lifelong process.
VIII. I Will Be Saved (future event)
Matt. 10:22, 24:13; Mark 13:13 - again, Jesus taught that we must endure to the very end to be saved. Salvation is a past, present and future event (not a one-time event at an altar call).
Mark 16:16 Jesus says whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.
Acts 15:11 - we believe that we shall be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus.
Rom. 5:9-10 - since we are justified by His blood, we shall be saved.
Rom. 13:11 - salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. How can we be only nearer to something we already have?
1 Cor. 3:15 - he will be saved, but only as through fire.
1 Cor. 5:5 - Paul commands the Church to deliver a man to satan, that he will be saved in the day of the Lord.
2 Tim. 2:11-12 - if we endure, we shall also reign with Him. This requires endurance until the end of our lives.
Heb. 9:28 - Jesus will appear a second time to save those who are eagerly waiting for Him.
James 5:15 - the sacrament of the sick will save the sick man and the Lord will raise him up.
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/salvation.ht...
Now, I ask you respectfully to answer my questions;
If you are saved instantly, no ifs, ands or buts, when you accept Jesus into your heart, how can you look to something (like good moral behaviour) AFTER this event and make any kind of judgement about their salvation?
If a person "gets saved" and behaves the way you think they should for 20 years and then decides to run of with another man's wife and dies shortly thereafter before repenting, is he still saved?
If not, why not?
Anthony, I am convinced that after al of this discussion you really have little ability to explain your faith or defend your beliefs apart from running to a catholic site to post spam. I see no progress in our communication and can really not see much use in continueing. I sincerely hope that a christian comes into your life who can help your understanding. I am afraid that I have not. I wish you well.
Clay

United States

#409645 Dec 15, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>And if a person buries a statue of Joseph(upside down) in the ground and believes that this helped them to sell thier house, would that be idolatry?
I don't understand why you're asking this. Was this done by someone you know?
To me, that sounds like superstition...and that violates Catholic teaching.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#409646 Dec 15, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
I'm not speaking for Preston Kay, but you have made some really disparaging statements about the pope and Catholics, and even after you were shown your error you continue to deny any wrongdoing. I for one would never mention it again if you were admit your mistake. What if find so disturbing about you and your husband is that you seem unwilling to consider it. It's almost as though you feel that because its Catholics you're hurting, you have no need to feel remorse, like we're not even human beings worthy of respect. I'm willing to offer an olive branch, but only if you stop spitting on us.
Anthony...I have said nothing disparaging about Catholic Christians. I have even commented that I have Catholic relatives and friends. I have commented on some teachings of Catholicism, which are in conflict with Christianity (perhaps included the Pope who apparently sees himself on the same level as God).
You are proving my position; the CC is foremost in Catholic teaching/thought, so much so that you feel personally attacked...and will attack me. The CC comes first, Jesus/God comes second in your teaching.
Defend the gospel. Let the CC do what all of us must do: PUT GOD FIRST.
KayMarie
This must be some kind of record! You've told at least five lies in three short paragraphs! You've dug such a deep hole, I'm afraid you'll never get out of it. God help you.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#409647 Dec 15, 2012
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
I have declared myself a genius. After all this time in Topix it finally hit me what OSAS meant. What a brain-huh?
Eureca! And what is that Hermie?
Clay

United States

#409648 Dec 15, 2012
I have declared myself a genius. After all this time in Topix it finally hit me what OSAS meant. What a brain-huh?
Lol. Yeah it took me awhile too. Now you can run out and get properly 'saved', right?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#409649 Dec 15, 2012
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text> and yeah, Clay. I DO BELIEVE THAT MY UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT GOD TEACHES IS FLAWLESS,AND I HAVE PROVED IT MANY, MANY TIMES ON THIS FORUM, AND THE REASONING BEHIND MY WORDS ARE VERY SIMPLE, I BELIEVE WHAT GOD SAYS, HE MEANS AND WHAT HE MEANS, HE SAYS.
The confession of a 'NUT CASE".
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#409650 Dec 15, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you try and stop acting like the back end of a donkey for once. Why don't you answer that, you are still using John to fuel the fire that keeps you egging people to argue with you on here you are pathetic. "JOHN IS NOT HERE TO AGREE OR DEBATE WITH WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. GOD REST HIS SOUL.
JOHNS NAME IS IN THIS POST, IN RELATION TO THE FILTHY TALK THAT 4BDN DOES ALSO, LIKE ODDJG DID.AND YEAH JOHN DOES NEED TO BE MENTIONED ON THIS FORUM. HE BROUGHT MUCH INFO TO THIS FORUM, UNLIKE YOU, AND SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN TALKED TO AS 4BDN DID AND ONLY KAREN AND I HAD THE GUTS AND THE NERVE TO SPEAK AGAINST THAT FILTHY TALK. NOW WONDER THAT YOU DIDNT, YOU USE IT ALSO ON THIS FORUM

I AM ASKING 4BDN HOW HE KNOWS THAT ODDJG IS GONE IF HE ISNT HIM.

IF YOU CANT ANSWER A POST CORRECTLY THEN SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND KEEP QUIET.THIS IS WHAT YOU DID WHEN YOU ATTACKED ME WHILE IT WAS ORVILLE DOING THE ATTACKING. PS, you can use that word against me, you have twice before.NOW READ THIS!
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>the same goes for you, you and teh sda cultist wear those icons out.
so answer this for all of us.
how did you know that oddjg was gone?
was that you trolling his nick and cussing people out and talking filthy like you did to john?
to know that he was gone indicates that topix kicked you off using that nick. correct?

HE DOESNT ANSWER SINCE THE PROBABILITY IS THAT HE WAS USING ODJG AS A TROLL NICK,

and since this is a public forum, I will speak out as much and as ofter as I wish, expecially when he calls me names, AND YOU REMAIN SILENT. YET WHEN I SPEAK OUT, THE HOUNDS OF HELL ARE RELEASED AGAINST ME.I SPEAK OUT AGAISNT EVIL BEHAVIOR AND YOU TRY AND SILENCE ME FOR IT.LOL JUST LIKE THE DEVIL.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#409651 Dec 15, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>And if a person buries a statue of Joseph(upside down) in the ground and believes that this helped them to sell thier house, would that be idolatry?
Are you going to start answering our questions or are you going to plug your ears like a child and keep demanding we answer yours?
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#409652 Dec 15, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Clay"
The thing that boggles my mind is Catholics acknowledge God working in each and everyone your churches. You guys on the other hand, confiscate our Bible and use it against us, and spit on us.
Confrint, the Bible is not for you to safeguard. The proof is that you are a hateful person. Unwillingly to repent even though you been caught red handed lying about us.
This must be something new. I've known Catholics through the years, and they were never ALLOWED to go to a Protestant church.
The Word of God is not yours/ours, it is HIS.
KayMarie
Another lie. Keep it up, you're only inches from hitting bottom. Just a few more lies to go, and you'll be there.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#409653 Dec 15, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony, I am convinced that after al of this discussion you really have little ability to explain your faith or defend your beliefs apart from running to a catholic site to post spam. I see no progress in our communication and can really not see much use in continueing. I sincerely hope that a christian comes into your life who can help your understanding. I am afraid that I have not. I wish you well.
Well, I guess that's one way to escape answering tough bible verses and questions. I wish you well too. Keep working on your salvation with fear and trembling and hopefully you too will be saved and we can meet as friends in heaven.
Clay

United States

#409654 Dec 15, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony, I am convinced that after al of this discussion you really have little ability to explain your faith or defend your beliefs apart from running to a catholic site to post spam. I see no progress in our communication and can really not see much use in continueing. I sincerely hope that a christian comes into your life who can help your understanding. I am afraid that I have not. I wish you well.
I will give an unbiased analysis on you..
You didn't present enough credible arguments on behalf of your doctrines. There filled with quite a bit of ignorance.
And I think you been caught a few times spreading things that are not true about us Catholics. This was done AFTER you were made aware of the truth.(see your current posts about us supposedly using statues for idol worship)
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#409655 Dec 15, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person asks their neighbor to pray for them, knowing that it's only God who can help, is that idolatry?
Read the question again. You are totally off topic,'again'.
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#409656 Dec 15, 2012
THE ONE ON YOUR LEFT HELPED. huh?

WHAT IT MEANS IS THAT YOU CAN SIN LIKE THE DEVIL ALL WEEK AND WEAR YOUR BEST CLOTHES ON SUNDAY.

not really, some on here will tell you that it is a repenting way, others like 4bdn will do what they want, say what they will and then jump on you and anthony because you arent Saved according to what they think that you should be Saved from.

and then you have people like marge and LTM who dont know what they believe because it changes constantly.

and with gif and his wife, unless you follow benny hen, you are not a christian
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#409657 Dec 15, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you going to start answering our questions or are you going to plug your ears like a child and keep demanding we answer yours?
Think I will plug my ears.:)
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#409658 Dec 15, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person asks their neighbor to pray for them, knowing that it's only God who can help, is that idolatry?
So should I have a little plastic figure made of my neighbor and stick it on my dashboard? Apples/oranges
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#409659 Dec 15, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>The confession of a 'NUT CASE".
was that you trolling his nick and cussing people out and talking filthy like you did to john?
to know that he was gone indicates that topix kicked you off using that nick. correct?
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#409660 Dec 15, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Read the question again. You are totally off topic,'again'.
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#409661 Dec 15, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Think I will plug my ears.:)

hey LTM thinks for finding that paost, now I didnt have to go look for it since filthy mouth is on here, to answer those questions for all of us.
Clay

United States

#409662 Dec 15, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
http://www.topix.com/religion/ atheism/2012/12...
An analysis of more than 350,000 interviews conducted by Gallup in 2008 finds Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Arkansas to be the most religious states in the nation.
Where do these states rank in education?
#34 Alabama
#44 Tennessee
#45 Arkansas
#48 Mississippi
#49 Louisiana
#50 South Carolina
Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts are the least religious states.
#14 Maine
# 4 New Hampshire
# 3 Vermont
# 1 Massachusetts
Honorable mention: Pennsylvania at #5.
When people become successful - often as a result of a hard earned college degree - they do not have any room for God anymore.
I seriously doubt more education would equal less religion. I don't think its a sudden theological epiphany once you get your masters degree.

Whereas, the poor and down trodden reach out to God much more than the ceo up in Vermont.

Education itself has nothing to do with belief in God. There are many many people with high IQs who believe.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#409663 Dec 15, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand why you're asking this. Was this done by someone you know?
To me, that sounds like superstition...and that violates Catholic teaching.
It is done alot, Clay. In our local christian book store catholics have on several occasions come in to try to buy these 'icons'. Several people where I worked also have done this.
You falsly accuse (bear false witness) about christians worshipping God's word. But you never hear of this kind of practices with the bible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Sat pazuzu 61
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Gee-Tee 9,391
News Pope Francis endorses Catholic climate petition Sat Passing thru 8
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) Fri Ephesians 2 - 8 a... 4
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) Fri KristoFMYsagun 10
News Francis expects short papacy May 21 ELIAS IBARRA 12
News Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark May 21 ELIAS IBARRA 10
More from around the web