Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
394,081 - 394,100 of 533,887 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe what you want! Who cares. You just have to understand that MOST others in our great world do not see the world according to you.
Your own Pope 14 months ago stated that AGNOSTICS have a better chance at going to the kingdom of heaven than do social catholics.
You are a social catholic. Sorry for the bad news!
And you Michael, need to understand that the Catholic Church, the Catholics on this forum and the majority of Catholics throughout the world, do not "fit into" or believe the "exaggerated, overstated and disproportionated" hyped-up statistics that you are "forever" (digging up). You say you don't care what I believe--but as I told you before---"you do care" because otherwise---you wouldn't still be on this forum. and you would be off somewhere living in the "same old bondage" of anti-catholic hatred for Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church........The fact is that it (bugs you) that you can't get ANYONE to believe ANY--yes---ANY CATHOLIC, to accept your anti-catholic vengeance, hostility and "blown out of portion" statistics....... Correction Michael--but I am Orthodox Roman Catholic and you are the Prodigal Son (social, ex-Catholic--or is it atheist or agnostic now!! Bad news?? Yes--(for you) at least for the time being----- until like the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11 when he eventually -----"came to his senses"!!!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
If your co-workers ask you if you have faith in Christ and you tell them you do, how will they be able to tell if your faith is sincere?
By my works. If you don't have works, do you have faith? If you don't have faith, are you saved?

Faith AND works brother.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you very much for that info. The actual Dead Sea Scrolls came to the Science Museum of MN last year and I missed it. I confess, I only recently been interested, thanks to a presentation I heard from a former Protestant Minister, Dr. John Bergsma.
God bless.
Clay
Peace

It does lend support for Christian development....Somehow, I feel, there is a denial of authority for who cannonized the Bible, and a revisionist mentality to what is acceptable, or a rebellious spirit....
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
By my works. If you don't have works, do you have faith? If you don't have faith, are you saved?
Faith AND works brother.
What would your co-workers say if you claim to have faith in Christ and your lifestyle or works do not reflect your faith?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
YEP!!!
And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
Jesus spends a lot of time talking about what we are to DO to be saved, and not just about having faith. I'm rather unfamiliar with your denomination's thinking on 'faith alone' Hank, can you share with me?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting I did not know that Robert. I know that originally they were denying it and their was a lot of debate about realeasing what they had. Originally I had heard they could not read them to to their fragile nature, which in part is true. However on quick google search I came up with this article which has some interesting tidbits. Mikey will be very upset. lol
The scroll also describes the Messiah as a "leader of the community" who was "put to death." This reference pointing clearly to the historical Jesus of Nazareth is creating shock waves for liberal scholarship that previously assumed that the Gospel account about Jesus was a myth. Jesus is the only one who ever claimed to be the Messiah who was crucified. The genealogies recorded in both Matthew and Luke's Gospels, reveal that Jesus was the only one who could prove by the genealogical records kept in the Temple that He was the lineage of King David as the "Son of Jesse." Since the tragic destruction of the Temple and its records in A.D. 70 it would be impossible for anyone else to ever prove their claim to be the Messiah based on their genealogical descent from King David. Additionally, the scroll identified the Messiah as "the sceptre" which probably refers to the Genesis 49:10 prophecy, "The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be." This scroll confirms the historical truthfulness of the New Testament record about Jesus and His crucifixion. The evidence from the scroll suggests that the Jewish Essene writer acknowledged that Jesus of Nazareth was the "suffering Messiah" who died for the sins of His people.
...When we consider the total amount of evidence that confirms the biblical record about Jesus of Nazareth we can have confidence that we know more about the life and resurrection of Christ than we know about any other person in the ancient world. God has not left us in darkness concerning the truthfulness of the miracles, prophecies and teaching of His Son, Jesus Christ.
http://www.grantjeffrey.com/article/article1....
Dust Storm
Peace

Interesting site....

This article mentions also that some of the other N.T., books were(debatable) in the Qumran caves.(Acts, Romans, Timothy, James)

I think that those who argue that nobody wrote anything down, and that it was an invention, have definitely lost their argument with the Dead Sea Scrolls....

What most people don't think about is that it took years to write all of these scrolls down..., they didn't have a computerized copier....So even the date 68AD is not the true time when they were written, only the time when they were sealed away....

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

who="Michael"
Robert says....
..brainwashed!
Michael says....
..(lol)Brainwashed!.. No my good friend Robert, that is what people say about religious people. You just had it backwards.
Its obvious people of faith can't stand being questioned. It all stems from growing up in the church. I remember I was there back in the day. They teach that. Religion class, never ask questions, wait until math or spelling and ask all the questions you like.........about math or spelling.

Wrong churches, Michael. I've never gone to one where I was not allowed to ask questions...and I got answers, too.

KayMarie
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone is leading you seriously astray with regard to this passage. There are two passages here where Jesus uses the "Lord, Lord..." phrase. He says in the first verse "Not every one that says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that does the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven."
"Not every one", means some, but not all. The ones that say "Lord, Lord" AND do the will of the Father shall enter the kingdom. "but he that does the will of my Father...", means that we are still ABLE to DO IT. The CONTEXT of this is that while they are still alive and able to say "Lord, Lord" AND do the will of the Father, they will enter the Kingdom.
Then in the NEXT passage He says "Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in your name, and cast out devils in your name, and done many miracles in your name?", meaning that in THAT DAY, saying "Lord, Lord" it will be too late.
Read the paragraphs before and after these verses. I think you will see the proper CONTEXT is that Jesus is discussing works. Doing good things, not just saying "Lord, Lord".
note verse 45

And he will answer,'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.'

These are Christians, first you have to be able to tell who is a Christian.

Clay says he can't tell if one is a Christian or not.. can you?

Besides that only Jesus can make one a Christian, not works.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

marge wrote:
note verse 45 And he will answer,'I tellyou the truth, whenyou refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters,you were refusing to help me.' These are Christians, firstyou have to be able to tell who is a Christian. Clay says he can't tell if one is a Christian or not.. canyou? Besides that only Jesus can make one a Christian, not works.
14Dec12.....

.....Good people (millions of dem) living good lives in da jungles and elsewhere who have Never heard of Jesus Christ will GO to Heaven.

Ps:....One needs not to be a Christian to go to Heaven. One needs only to love another as he would want them to love him.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

who="7th Day Catholics Rock"Huh surely you was not agreeing with him about the SMARGE comment ?

Of course not. Just saying that his language is filthy...not a good testimony.

KayMarie
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>14Dec12.....
.....Good people (millions of dem) living good lives in da jungles and elsewhere who have Never heard of Jesus Christ will GO to Heaven.
Romans 16:19 This is because what is known about God should be plain to them because God made it plain to them. 20 Ever since the creation of the world, God’s invisible qualities—God’s eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, because they are understood through the things God has made. So humans are without excuse.

**sorry Bob...you're wrong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

who="Truth"
Apostles, KayMarie...
Jesus was speaking to the APOSTLES...

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized EVERY ONE OF YOU in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and YOU shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto YOU, and to your children, and to ALL THAT ARE AFAR OFF, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

He hasn't quit making apostles...OR setting them in the church.
You have not BECAUSE YOU ASK NOT.

KayMarie
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>You are right. The rcc and You at least(not so sure about Rob) do say that. The scriptures do not.
If Rob believed that they were indeed salvific, why did he say that it was 'probably unnecessary'? Salvific, but probably unnecessary?
Anytime we do not do something God requires of us, we miss out on His grace and His blessings.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
What would your co-workers say if you claim to have faith in Christ and your lifestyle or works do not reflect your faith?
I suppose they'd call me a hypocrite, probably behind my back because I own the company and they might be hesistant to say it to my face...then again, some of my employees are pretty outspoken and yell at me for being too lenient on some of the less hardworking employees.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

who="Anthony MN"
Faith AND works brother.

Works are a RESULT of faith. "Show me...and I will SHOW YOU MY FAITH BY MY WORKS." Jesus said,'They shall know you BY YOUR WORKS.'

One who REALLY believes in Jesus (faith) will FOLLOW Jesus into doing good deeds/works.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
note verse 45
And he will answer,'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.'
These are Christians, first you have to be able to tell who is a Christian.
Clay says he can't tell if one is a Christian or not.. can you?
Besides that only Jesus can make one a Christian, not works.
Jesus is telling Christians that He will send them to everlasting punishment for not taking care of the least of His brothers. Don't you believe ALL Christians are going to heaven no matter what?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus spends a lot of time talking about what we are to DO to be saved, and not just about having faith. I'm rather unfamiliar with your denomination's thinking on 'faith alone' Hank, can you share with me?
Hey Anthony,

I am NOT a faith alone believer....

It is...FAITH WITHOUT WORKS is DEAD.....

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Any declaration of faith that does NOT result in a changed life and good works giving God the Glory is a false declaration: A dead faith!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Truth"
Apostles, KayMarie...
Jesus was speaking to the APOSTLES...
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized EVERY ONE OF YOU in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and YOU shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto YOU, and to your children, and to ALL THAT ARE AFAR OFF, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
He hasn't quit making apostles...OR setting them in the church.
You have not BECAUSE YOU ASK NOT.
KayMarie
God has NOT stopped making DISCIPLES NOT apostles....

No one today qualifies to be an apostle....KayMarie...
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose they'd call me a hypocrite, probably behind my back because I own the company and they might be hesistant to say it to my face...then again, some of my employees are pretty outspoken and yell at me for being too lenient on some of the less hardworking employees.
Go as far as to say you really aren't a christian????

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>"On the last day' is a reference to judgement day. The teaching is quite simple that at that time it is too late. Everyone will see Christ face to face and of course be brought to the realization of thier error and the fate they have chosen. But it will be TOO LATE. CONTEXT , Anthony.
Man, you seem to have the future account all wrapped up.

How did you find out this information?

I think you are making things up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Gee-Tee 8,204
Vatican releases schedule for Pope's trip to Al... Thu Barbarian 5
If Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin dona t like th... (Nov '13) Thu Finish this sentence 894
Pope's Turkish tour a surprising success (Dec '06) Thu fener 20
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 36
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... Jul 30 psycho 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Jul 29 ELIAS IBARRA 60
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••