Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 19,700)

Showing posts 393,981 - 394,000 of511,731
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Show me.
Matt. 7:18 - Jesus says that sound trees bear good fruit. But there is no guarantee that a sound tree will stay sound. It could go rotten.

Matt. 7:21 - all those who say "Lord, Lord" on the last day will not be saved. They are judged by their evil deeds.

Matt. 12:30-32 - Jesus says that he who is not with Him is against Him, therefore (the Greek for "therefore" is "dia toutos" which means "through this") blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. This means that failing to persevere in Jesus' grace to the end is the unforgivable sin against the Spirit. We must persevere in faith to the end of our lives.

Matt. 22:14 - Jesus says many are called but few are chosen. This man, who was destined to grace, was at God's banquet, but was cast out.

Luke 8:13 - Jesus teaches that some people receive the word with joy, but they have no root, believe for a while, and then fall away in temptation. They had the faith but they lost it.

Luke 12:42-46 - we can start out as a faithful and wise steward, then fall away and be assigned to a place with the unfaithful.

Luke 15:11-32 – in the parable of the prodigal son, we learn that we can be genuine sons of the Father, then leave home and die, then return and be described as "alive again."

John 6:70-71 - Jesus chose or elected twelve, yet one of them, Judas, fell. Not all those predestined to grace persevere to the end.

John 15:1-10 - we can be in Jesus (a branch on the vine), and then if we don't bear fruit, are cut off, wither up and die. Paul makes this absolutely clear in Rom. 11:20-23.

John 17:12 - we can be given to Jesus by the Father (predestined to grace) and yet not stay with Jesus, like Judas.

John 6:37 - those who continue to come to Jesus He won't cast out. But it's a continuous, ongoing action. We can leave Jesus and He will allow this because He respects our freewill.

John 6:39 - Jesus will not lose those the Father gives Him, but we can fall away, like Judas. God allows us not to persevere.

John 6:40 - everyone who sees the Son and believes means the person "continues" to believe. By continuing to believe, the person will persevere and will be raised up. Belief also includes obedience, which is more than an intellectual belief in God.

John 6:44 - Jesus says no one can come to me unless the Father "draws" him. This "drawing" is an ongoing process.

John 10:27-28 - when Jesus says, "no one shall snatch them out of my hands," He does not mean we can't leave His hands. We can choose to walk away from Him.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/salvation.ht...
Free Mind

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you were another one Born by CHANCE! only into the one true church..........to become what your parents demanded you become........just like them!
BUSTED!
One of the most reliable bets in America.....

Tell me your parents' religion, and I will "guess" your religion.

I'd be correct better than 80% of the time.

Amazing how the Greatest Power in the Universe works in such an arbitrary manner ...... or at least so say some.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/12/holiday-...
The Catholic League has battled it out with Silverman's group in the past, even posting opposing signs on each end of the Lincoln Tunnel in 2010. But Catholic League spokesman Bill Donohue said Silverman went too far this year.
"This year it's different," he said. "This is vile. When you depict Jesus on the cross with a crown of thorns, this is exploitative. We as Christians never harass, intimidate or insult atheists. But they can't seem to say,'We simply disagree with you.' They have to insult us."
"We as Christians never harass, intimidate or insult atheists." ROTFLMAO!
Why are you laughing....I'm not catholic so I could care less about you're post. Thanks for sharing though.....

So how old were you when you were at the presbyterian church and when did you realize they are lost? Were your mommy and daddy members there?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Teaching that one becomes a christian when someone poors water over thier head as an infant is a false and dangerous doctrine. Even ROB(the priest) agreed with that.
Both Fr. Dye and I agree that pouring water on a childs head is NOT salvific. Both Fr. Dye and I also agree that being born again by water and the Holy Spirit in water baptism IS salvific. So do all of the earliest Christians and the 2000 year teaching fo the Catholic Church.

If you don't, oh well.
Free Mind

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I know! They keep showing me how great it is to be christian! As a christian, you can get away with anything, cause god will forgive you! But if you ain't from the same sect as another christian, well you are just as damned to hell and the Atheist! LOL!
Brother, you are headed straight to Hell.

But Jesus loves you.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. You're problem is with St. James, he used the example of Abraham to illustrate the necessity of good works.
Gal 3:6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness".
Free Mind

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you laughing....I'm not catholic so I could care less about you're post. Thanks for sharing though.....
So how old were you when you were at the presbyterian church and when did you realize they are lost? Were your mommy and daddy members there?
Muslim?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Do you work for the AP now? No, the liberal and heterodox "Catholic" professors who work in the liberal so-called Catholic colleges (and who are being examined by the Church to see if they are worthy of the title "Catholic"), do not represent the Church and most of the world's Catholic. Your reporting was not a topic being discussed and it was just another one of your little jabs. As I said, before you were a nice lady, now you're acting the part of Sapphira very well.
Are you an editor with the power to decide what is discussed?
KM
You can post stories about crappy Catholics all you want Sapphira. Do it in every one of your posts, I really don't care. Just don't pretend you're not doing it to stir up strife.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you laughing....I'm not catholic so I could care less about you're post.
Then why would you reply?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you laughing....I'm not catholic so I could care less about you're post. Thanks for sharing though.....
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Muslim?
Troll.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Brother, you are headed straight to Hell.
But Jesus loves you.
He'll love me while sending me to eternal damnation? What a guy!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is a tool used to confirm judgement and actions as sacred.
NOTE -- Both sides in the American Civil War used the Bible to "prove" their positions.
Our good friend, the Vatican was one of the only entities in the world to recognize the South. They even sent a letter of support to President Davis.
Imagine that! If the "one true" claim is true, then Jesus was for the South!
But instead, we say da claim is .......... BUSTED!!!
People must have gotten a little smarter. When I started playing football, we would always have a team prayer and ask god to help us win. When I got older, the prayers only asked god to get us from injury.

Terrible thing is; we still lost some and kids still got hurt. What the hell was the prayer for?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>But than again my good friend,if any person wants to read Maccabees,they can get a hold of a Catholic Bible and read it for themselves.We have two Catholic Bibles in this house and both contain the Books,the Protestant Bible do not have.
By the Way how are you doing? Keeping up with everything? With the holidays and so on,work,and feeling like you are coming down with something,life is at times a challenge.But nothing compared to those who have had tornadoes of recent,and the whole upper East Coast and what they face.I can't complain!
The news is always a challenge to watch,after awile you want to just watch a good movie,and forget about all that is happening in this world.
The people here in Illinois have many challenges,we are faced with a full House of Democrats who are using everything in their disposal to make waste of anything good we have in this state.Long forgotten is the bi-partisanship that was so a century ago.Now we have the liberal slicing away of our pensions,and everything else.Many people I know have left the state,even some of the relatives I love who are staunch liberals have left and are living in states that are mostly Republican.
Aside from Politics,hope you and your family are doing fine,and the Christmas season will be a blessing to you as never before! In Christ!
Hi Pad good friend

I am in good health....And I am glad there are challenges....If I thought everything was great, then, there must be something wrong....lol....

I am glad you have the Deuterocanonicals around....I was actually reading through I Maccabees last night....

Also, a favorite of mine is the Book of Wisdom, during this last week, I have been going through it. Of course daily reading/prayer of about 10-12 Psalms, and various N.T., and O.T. books....At the present I am in Isaiah....

I am very fortunate to have the time to do so....

I am not too much connected to the modern news. I filtered it out of my life about 4-5 years ago. At most I spend 2 minutes a day on the news, with the internet on MyYahoo, and Drudgereport.

I am fortunate in LA, we have one of the most religous states in the U.S. It is a very charity oriented state, and family ties are very, very strong.

Today, I went to a friends farm who invites everyone to come and pick mustard greens and turnips....I just got back from there with two bags....He just loves to plant and have people come and pick....I am so thankful to be where I am.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked for something by "God", not by Luke or "John".
I'm thinking you are getting it.
Wanna try again?
NASL

For the Christian, God is the Creator.(Gen 1:1)
For the New Ager, Gnostic, God is the Creation...

I get it....lol.

So go and talk to the air, earth, water, and fire, and see what your god says. I will stay with the Bible as the standard....
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge,I have made my peace.
It doesn't matter what he has said about me.
No need to dredge it all back up.
And i'm sure what he said was a lie anyway, blessings to you.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
You can post stories about crappy Catholics all you want Sapphira. Do it in every one of your posts, I really don't care. Just don't pretend you're not doing it to stir up strife.

I don't pretend anything.

KayMarie
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>It is not 'my homework'. You are the one making the argument. Show what you base it on. Otherwise all you are offering is an opinion. Yours is a pretty silly post.
Suppose I give you links from independent historians or maybe even the President of Israel, stating that the official Jewish Canon of scripture was not established until 70 yrs after Christianity began - under the direction of Rabbi Akiba.
Would you then accept it? Nope.

We know from the Dead Sea Scrolls, that at least one Jewish community, regarded the 7 books as scripture.
We know that the official Jewish canon did not. Why? Because Christians were using those 7 books as scripture. The Jews wanted to distance themselves from the Christian community.

Fast forward to the 16th century and you will see how Martin Luther participated in Satans finest hour by snatching countless souls from the Church - with a couple false doctrines and LESS Bible - and no Eucharist!
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>It is not 'my homework'. You are the one making the argument. Show what you base it on. Otherwise all you are offering is an opinion. Yours is a pretty silly post.
You made a statement earlier. No link. No presentation of facts. Nothing. Just pure propaganda.
To me, its a serious topic. But I can't easily post links from my phone.. Every time I try, it gets messed up. So I'm sorry if I'm relying on you to do a litter homework yourself.
The question should be: why did Luther tell people that the books should be removed because its not part of the 'official Jewish Canon'? When the Jewish Canon came AFTER Christianity!
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a litte more than Luther, but he opened the can of Chaos. The Sadducees did not believe anything beyond the first 5 books were scripture. I guess certain Jews added a bunch at the council of Jamnia in 90AD. They took some out according to other Jews who include those today. They all reject Jesus.
Forget the Fathers who quoted from them. Forget that Christians were using them to proclaim Christ. Forget that even Luther put them in an appendix and at least one version of the KJV had references linking the NT to the old. It drives the KJV onlyists nuts. They promote the idea ignorantly that because something was declared it suddenly appeared and was never taught nor believed. It is the most pathetic and weak argument ever, but they use it over and over. Yet when they make a statement of faith when protestants challenge each other on their doctrines, it was not just declared at that moment. That dog don't hunt.
Very correct. And thanks for the input.
I used Luther because he's better known.

Every Jewish community prior to 90Ad had their own canon of scripture. The Christians -in a round about way - forced the Jews to establish one set.

Luther, basically sided with the Jews of 90 A.D instead of The Christians of 33 A.D.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with any of the discussions at hand. I guess I could throw out arbitrary news articles about stupid evangelicals all day long, but that's not what I'm here for. Is that why you're here? If so, your time would be better spent on the huffington post website.
Really? What is the discussion at hand? Posts on this thread are all over the map. What is the discussion at hand? And what are you here for?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 393,981 - 394,000 of511,731
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Eyes on Christ 7,634
Greek Orthodox prelates denounce Catholicism as... 16 hr Joseph Paskudnok 2
Anglican priest ordained to Catholic priesthood... Apr 14 Highchurchman 5
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Apr 12 ELIAS IBARRA 17
Krakow prays to its saint John Paul II Apr 12 Clear Dharma 5
Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims Apr 10 Silent Crusader 4
Pope Presses Anti-AIDS Chastity Strategy in Africa Apr 8 Atheist Silurist 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••