Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
393,881 - 393,900 of 532,499 Comments Last updated 2 min ago
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>It is not 'my homework'. You are the one making the argument. Show what you base it on. Otherwise all you are offering is an opinion. Yours is a pretty silly post.
You made a statement earlier. No link. No presentation of facts. Nothing. Just pure propaganda.
To me, its a serious topic. But I can't easily post links from my phone.. Every time I try, it gets messed up. So I'm sorry if I'm relying on you to do a litter homework yourself.
The question should be: why did Luther tell people that the books should be removed because its not part of the 'official Jewish Canon'? When the Jewish Canon came AFTER Christianity!
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a litte more than Luther, but he opened the can of Chaos. The Sadducees did not believe anything beyond the first 5 books were scripture. I guess certain Jews added a bunch at the council of Jamnia in 90AD. They took some out according to other Jews who include those today. They all reject Jesus.
Forget the Fathers who quoted from them. Forget that Christians were using them to proclaim Christ. Forget that even Luther put them in an appendix and at least one version of the KJV had references linking the NT to the old. It drives the KJV onlyists nuts. They promote the idea ignorantly that because something was declared it suddenly appeared and was never taught nor believed. It is the most pathetic and weak argument ever, but they use it over and over. Yet when they make a statement of faith when protestants challenge each other on their doctrines, it was not just declared at that moment. That dog don't hunt.
Very correct. And thanks for the input.
I used Luther because he's better known.

Every Jewish community prior to 90Ad had their own canon of scripture. The Christians -in a round about way - forced the Jews to establish one set.

Luther, basically sided with the Jews of 90 A.D instead of The Christians of 33 A.D.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with any of the discussions at hand. I guess I could throw out arbitrary news articles about stupid evangelicals all day long, but that's not what I'm here for. Is that why you're here? If so, your time would be better spent on the huffington post website.
Really? What is the discussion at hand? Posts on this thread are all over the map. What is the discussion at hand? And what are you here for?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you have changed your name again.
I have not jumped on you , I have been avoiding you like the plague.
Every morning I go on that site and post the bible verse of the day. Once again you assume I sent you a personal post, but hey they say convict either makes us sad, mad , or glad.
Guess which one applies to you ??
And you do look like Larry King.
I have inlarged my fonts, that is how I am able to see the post now, so stop yelling at me you are hurting my eyes.
why dont you just open your eyes and look at the date on that profile. I came on this forum using it and christian rabbi.

didnt you see last night that Disciple KNEW EXACTLY WHO I WAS.

but you still havent said anything about 4bdn and his filthy mouth talk yet you jumped all over me WHEN I DIDNT ATTACK ORIVLLE AS YOU LIED ABOUT.

all you ever had to do was go to the lower right hand corner and increase the view.

but Hey,I never expected you to say anything to him for his filthy mouth, it matches your lying mouth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge,I have made my peace.
It doesn't matter what he has said about me.
No need to dredge it all back up.
thanks, that Is what I told her,marge was just trying to cause more trouble if there isnt enough.

only you and disciple have kept your word,about us not fussing with each other

marge didnt even go 24 hours before she broke hers and LTM did go two weeks or so,
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Akiba.

We know from the Dead Sea Scrolls, that at least one Jewish community, regarded the 7 books as scripture.
We know that the official Jewish canon did not. Why? Because Christians were using those 7 books as scripture. The Jews wanted to distance themselves from the Christian community.
!
And how do we know that? You give no evidence. Just your opinion. You are wasting my time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
So Preston isn't a Christian or saved then right? Faith Alone wasn't cutting it? I have to wonder since you have called him Satan numerous times if he was one of those who never really got saved but could know for sure.
well I know that I am Saved, and I know that any person who follows the likes of ellen white isnt, but that is who 4bdn has buddied up with to go against me.

but dont you worry, they got you going to hell with the rest of all catholics.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey...there you are! And there's Cathie!! Very nice picture. You look much like I imagined you would and Cathie is adorable. You both look very happy and make a lovely couple.
thanks, reggie. she has been a great companion for many decades and I hope many more

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
And i'm sure what he said was a lie anyway, blessings to you.
you still dont get it do you?

that people get angry with each other and make peace and KEEP THEIR WORD.

you dont get it because you arent a christian in the first place.

which is why you broke your word within 24 hours, even many sinners wouldnt be that quick.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you have changed your name again.
I have inlarged my fonts, that is how I am able to see the post now, so stop yelling at me you are hurting my eyes.

YOU CAN GO BACK TO EARLY PART OF THIS FORUM , SAY AROUND 675 AND YOU WILL SEE MY NICK OF ATEMCOWBOY, SO QUIT LYING.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
And i'm sure what he said was a lie anyway, blessings to you.
LIKE i SAID, IF YOU KNEW WHAT WE WERE EMAILING EACH OTEHR ABOUT, YOU WOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

well maybe not you. but almost everyone else would be.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Suppose I give you links from independent historians or maybe even the President of Israel, stating that the official Jewish Canon of scripture was not established until 70 yrs after Christianity began - under the direction of Rabbi Akiba.
Would you then accept it? Nope.
We know from the Dead Sea Scrolls, that at least one Jewish community, regarded the 7 books as scripture.
We know that the official Jewish canon did not. Why? Because Christians were using those 7 books as scripture. The Jews wanted to distance themselves from the Christian community.
Fast forward to the 16th century and you will see how Martin Luther participated in Satans finest hour by snatching countless souls from the Church - with a couple false doctrines and LESS Bible - and no Eucharist!
Clay
Peace

One of the interesting aspects of the Qumran caves, sealed up in 68 A.D., is that fragment 7Q5 is from the Book of Mark. So to add to your argument, "Why didn't the Jews cannonize that Book?"

In other words, as you say, the Jews when they did cannonize their books, did not want anything of Jesus being the fulfillment of prophecy....

By the way, I heard there were other fragments of N.T., scripture in the Qumran caves....Honestly, I will have to research this out a bit. But the implications are profound, that all the dating thusfar of N.T. books and the "theories" as to when they were written, are wrong. This would really trash a lot of theories....

Also, the Septuagint was the scripture used during the time of Jesus, Greek was the language of the day, and it had been since about 300 years B.C. When one bases their arguments that they are going by Hebrew Scriptures, such an argument becomes faulty....

If one goes by Jewish cannonization, it was a process of about 400 years, from 200BC to 200AD...So why didn't they include the Deterocanonicals? For the same reason they did not put in the N.T.
They point to Jesus, as the Messiah in a "strong" way.

And of course that includes strong support of Catholic teachings....So Luther wants his cake and eats it too....He rejected("ate") the Deuterocanonicals that point to Jesus, to "have" his "religion"....

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

towncrier wrote:
Some Protestants have been known to say that all the Apostles are equal, with St. Peter having no authority over them. Looking at the verses just referenced above, Our Lord clearly bestowed this right on St. Peter for the good of the Church; to avoid schisms like we see in the Protestant churches today!
All the apostles were equal. Christ is the foundation cornerstone. Ephesians 2:20,21...acts 4:8-11..........False religion teaches Peter to be the cornerstone, when he was just another apostle.
Senile Old Fool

Scotts Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Ho Ho Ho
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay
Peace
One of the interesting aspects of the Qumran caves, sealed up in 68 A.D., is that fragment 7Q5 is from the Book of Mark. So to add to your argument, "Why didn't the Jews cannonize that Book?"
In other words, as you say, the Jews when they did cannonize their books, did not want anything of Jesus being the fulfillment of prophecy....
By the way, I heard there were other fragments of N.T., scripture in the Qumran caves....Honestly, I will have to research this out a bit. But the implications are profound, that all the dating thusfar of N.T. books and the "theories" as to when they were written, are wrong. This would really trash a lot of theories....
Also, the Septuagint was the scripture used during the time of Jesus, Greek was the language of the day, and it had been since about 300 years B.C. When one bases their arguments that they are going by Hebrew Scriptures, such an argument becomes faulty....
If one goes by Jewish cannonization, it was a process of about 400 years, from 200BC to 200AD...So why didn't they include the Deterocanonicals? For the same reason they did not put in the N.T.
They point to Jesus, as the Messiah in a "strong" way.
And of course that includes strong support of Catholic teachings....So Luther wants his cake and eats it too....He rejected("ate") the Deuterocanonicals that point to Jesus, to "have" his "religion"....
Thank you very much for that info. The actual Dead Sea Scrolls came to the Science Museum of MN last year and I missed it. I confess, I only recently been interested, thanks to a presentation I heard from a former Protestant Minister, Dr. John Bergsma.
God bless.
Anthony MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
You can post stories about crappy Catholics all you want Sapphira. Do it in every one of your posts, I really don't care. Just don't pretend you're not doing it to stir up strife.
I don't pretend anything.
KayMarie
I have to agree with you there. There's no pretense in your desire to be spiteful, you do it for all to see.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> And how do we know that? You give no evidence. Just your opinion. You are wasting my time.
How can I give actual 'evidence'?

I'm relying on you to search the truth yourself.

Ever since I came on Topix. No. Ever since I became a Catholic by choice, I've researched countless claims by you guys. And every one doesn't seem to add up.
I suggest you kneel down and pray about it. Honestly, that's all I can say.
There IS historical evidence out there...
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Brother, you are headed straight to Hell.
But Jesus loves you.
...I never believed that an all loving God would send imperfect souls to a make believe place called Hell to burn for all eternity because they missed sunday mass once and forgot to repent for it.

makes no common sense.

BUSTED!

Anthony MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Really? What is the discussion at hand? Posts on this thread are all over the map. What is the discussion at hand? And what are you here for?
Well, we certainly weren't talking about idiot Catholic college staff supporting the Marxist president. Kay likes to throw out as much dirt on bad Catholics as she can when she has no response to the challenges posited by the Catholics here.

And I'm here to educate you protestants who are ignorant of Catholic teaching . Why are you here?

“What are you looking at?”

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
NASL
For the Christian, God is the Creator.(Gen 1:1)
For the New Ager, Gnostic, God is the Creation...
I get it....lol.
So go and talk to the air, earth, water, and fire, and see what your god says. I will stay with the Bible as the standard....
...and disregard those passages int he Bible, "because they aren't pertinent anymore".

Why do you cherry pick out of context?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Married in 8,121
More 5 hr True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... 5 hr Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes 6 hr ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Mon Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Mon Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••