Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
393,781 - 393,800 of 533,041 Comments Last updated 34 min ago
Pad

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Herme good friend
The N.T. quotes of O.T., is not a basis of accepting the Deuterocanonical books....
If it were, then we would need to throw out, "Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Solomon", since they are not quoted in the N.T....
Jesus, went to the Feast of the Dedication....what we now called Hannukah..., this was the defeat of Greco-Assyrian by the Maccabees....Fortunately, the Deuterocanonicals has I and II Maccabees. They of course have history and theology in them, and is the great final and solid statement by Jesus in the Temple, to the authorities that he is the Son of God.
It is a pity that Protestantism through out the Books of the Maccabees, they lost much of the linkage between Jesus and the latter part of Israel's history, and prophecy, that "the Gentiles will see the Savior of Israel...."(I Macc 4:11), and the continuation of the Hannukah....
But than again my good friend,if any person wants to read Maccabees,they can get a hold of a Catholic Bible and read it for themselves.We have two Catholic Bibles in this house and both contain the Books,the Protestant Bible do not have.

By the Way how are you doing? Keeping up with everything? With the holidays and so on,work,and feeling like you are coming down with something,life is at times a challenge.But nothing compared to those who have had tornadoes of recent,and the whole upper East Coast and what they face.I can't complain!

The news is always a challenge to watch,after awile you want to just watch a good movie,and forget about all that is happening in this world.

The people here in Illinois have many challenges,we are faced with a full House of Democrats who are using everything in their disposal to make waste of anything good we have in this state.Long forgotten is the bi-partisanship that was so a century ago.Now we have the liberal slicing away of our pensions,and everything else.Many people I know have left the state,even some of the relatives I love who are staunch liberals have left and are living in states that are mostly Republican.

Aside from Politics,hope you and your family are doing fine,and the Christmas season will be a blessing to you as never before! In Christ!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>What is your definition of believe?
Believing that the moon circles the earth is really a passive thing. We see it, we know the science behind it, we accept and admit it as fact, it doesn't require anything of us, but it happens nonetheless. Biblical "belief" is to not only acknowledge and accept, but also to obey. Remember, even the demons believe. St. James clearly combines the need for faith and obedience to Christ's commands in the definition of "belief".

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
James tells us that faith is faith and works are works. They are two separate entities, and must be coupled together to achieve salvation. Faith (a mental process) and works (an action) are required for salvation.
When James asks “Can his faith save him?,” the answer is a resounding NO. James is talking about salvation. The answer to the question is NO because we must add works to our faith. Works just don't flow automatically out of true believers. The Bible never says anything about false faith or saving faith. Faith may truly exist, but it is not enough to save us. Even the demons believe in Jesus and tremble. Remember, James was talking to "saved Christians" in his epistle. Yet James continues to warn them to avoid sin and do good, or they will lose their salvation. That is because their faith was not enough to save them.
Abraham is a perfect example. Even though he was justified in Genesis 15, God still required him to sacrifice his son (a "work") which justified him in Genesis 22. If Abraham would not have added this work to his faith, he would have fallen out of favor with God. Thus, James says that Abraham was justified by his works.
Faith and works are required for salvation. God accepts them when done in a system of grace. This means we don't view God as a debtor who owes us, but as a loving Father who will reward us out of His goodness. Neither our faith nor our works can please God outside of grace. The key distinction is law versus grace. We are saved by God's grace through faith and works, and not faith alone.
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/justificatio...
~~~

Works do not determine our destiny... they determine our rewards.

READ WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT WORKS...

1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest:

for the day shall declare it,

because it shall be revealed by fire; and

THE FIRE SHALL TRY EVERY MAN'S WORKS of what sort it is.

1Co 3:14 IF THE MAN'S WORKS ABIDE,

which he hath built thereupon,

HE SHALL RECEIVE A REWARD.

1Co 3:15 IF ANY MAN'S WORK SHALL BE BURNED he shall suffer loss:

BUT HE HIMSELF SHALL BE SAVED; YET SO AS BY FIRE.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you know me as Preston. I used this nick when I first came on here and I reverted back to it.
wanted to show people that I am a happily married man with a wonderful wife,
like you.
Just noticed the picture preston, you're a nice looking couple.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes--and the TRUTH needs to be "parroted" over and over again, to bible only heretics like you, 4GVN who (are forever) trying and feed your "molded crackers" of "distorted and false interpretation of the bible" to Catholics on this forum--(who "know the TRUTH" of the Word of God and TRUE Church History.
Nasty little 'bird brain' aren't you. lol
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Bible Verse Of the Day

16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Proverbs 6:16-19 (KJV)

www.Christ.com

LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Personality
Dec122012December 12, 2012
... that they may be one just as We are one ...—John 17:22

Personality is the unique, limitless part of our life that makes us distinct from everyone else. It is too vast for us even to comprehend. An island in the sea may be just the top of a large mountain, and our personality is like that island. We don’t know the great depths of our being, therefore we cannot measure ourselves. We start out thinking we can, but soon realize that there is really only one Being who fully understands us, and that is our Creator.

Personality is the characteristic mark of the inner, spiritual man, just as individuality is the characteristic of the outer, natural man. Our Lord can never be described in terms of individuality and independence, but only in terms of His total Person—“I and My Father are one”(John 10:30). Personality merges, and you only reach your true identity once you are merged with another person. When love or the Spirit of God come upon a person, he is transformed. He will then no longer insist on maintaining his individuality. Our Lord never referred to a person’s individuality or his isolated position, but spoke in terms of the total person—“... that they may be one just as We are one ....” Once your rights to yourself are surrendered to God, your true personal nature begins responding to God immediately. Jesus Christ brings freedom to your total person, and even your individuality is transformed. The transformation is brought about by love— personal devotion to Jesus. Love is the overflowing result of one person in true fellowship with another.

Bible in One Year: Hosea 9-11; Revelation 3
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, James was talking to "saved Christians" in his epistle.
What does that mean, Anthony? Obviously the term means something very different to us. Are there any other kind of Christians? Are all 'saved' persons, Christians? What do YOU mean by "saved Christians'?
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just not truthful 4gvn. You need to stop with that, if you want to be a Christian. If your theology can stand on its own merits, you don't need to say thing like "the Roman Catholic Church decided at the council of Trent that some books needed to be in the Bible"
The Catholic Church felt the need to publicly state things due to heretics preaching falsehoods. In the case at the Council of Trent, Luther and his victims were running around telling everyone the Church added scripture to the Hebrew canon. In fact, they were saying many falsehoods about scripture to get people to leave the the Church- Luther was participating in Satans finest hour.
The official Jewish Canon did not get established until 70 yrs after Christ died and rose. The Jews did this in response to the growing Christians and left out the 7 books Christians were using -in order to distance themselves from them.
So the Roman Catholic Church stood up at the Council of Trent to address the issue because Luther conveniently left out the truth of Biblical history in order to win people away from Catholicism. Who could question what he was saying? They certainly couldn't Google anything to cross check him!
I pray you don't just plug your ears at this.
Sorry to again disagree, Clay, but I believe it is quite truthful. Surprisedyou can't see it.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Acting like a child again...
IGNORED.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And, we don't even have to look too closely to see your childish behavior....
Ignored.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>4gvn I read this passage last night befor ebed time.
II Timothy Ch: 2 V: 3-7
Sorry 7th, not sure I understand the correlation.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Works do not determine our destiny... they determine our rewards.
READ WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT WORKS...
1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest:
for the day shall declare it,
because it shall be revealed by fire; and
THE FIRE SHALL TRY EVERY MAN'S WORKS of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 IF THE MAN'S WORKS ABIDE,
which he hath built thereupon,
HE SHALL RECEIVE A REWARD.
1Co 3:15 IF ANY MAN'S WORK SHALL BE BURNED he shall suffer loss:
BUT HE HIMSELF SHALL BE SAVED; YET SO AS BY FIRE.
"Go also to 1 Cor 3:11-17. This is another section that is squarely opposed to your view about rewards v. salvation. In this section, using metaphors, Paul explains that those who do good will be saved, and those who do evil will be condemned (the metaphors Paul uses are gold, silver v. wood, hay). There is a clear polarity between doing good which leads to salvation (v.14) and doing bad which leads to damnation (v.17). This is not about "less rewards."

Verse 15 poses another problem for you. Paul says that those who built with both materials will suffer loss but will still receive their reward. In order to receive the reward, the person must pass through fire. This fire purges the person of the defects which led to the bad works in the first place. The Greek for "suffer loss" refers to a punishment through expiation. In your theology, there is no place for a post-death punishment by fire process before a person is saved. This isn't about receiving "less rewards" because the person STILL receives the reward (which is salvation). Yet the saved person first receives a fiery expiation for their sins after their death.

Jesus also never teaches that "faith alone" leads to salvation. He always focuses on works, not as the basis of more rewards, but to obtain salvation. In fact, Jesus even says "by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned" (Matt 12:37). So you see, Rick, there is nothing about receiving salvation by "faith alone." The Bible is clear that we must add works to our faith to obtain salvation. As James says, we must be doers of the law, and not hearers only, deceiving ourselves. This is the teaching of the Fathers and the 2,000 year-old Catholic Church."

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

LTM wrote:
Bible Verse Of the Day
16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
Proverbs 6:16-19 (KJV)
www.Christ.com
YOU WERE SO QUICK TO JUMP ON ME OVER MY ALLEDGED ATTACKS ON ORVILLE THAT NEVER TOOK PLACE, WHY ARE YOU SO SILENT ON THIS PEVERT (4BDN)WHO JUST TALKS SO FILTHY TO HOJO ?

CAPS SO u CAN READ THEM WITH YOUR SUPPOSEDLY POOR EYESIGHT.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> What does that mean, Anthony? Obviously the term means something very different to us. Are there any other kind of Christians? Are all 'saved' persons, Christians? What do YOU mean by "saved Christians'?
OSAS is a false and dangerous doctrine. Not all who claim to be Christians will be saved.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I was going to type a really biting insult but I will restrain myself. It is impossible to dialogue with you. t is impossible to debate with you. I have only so much time in this life and am sorry but cannot engage in a dialogue that is not a dialogue. I tried. I learn from dialogue with others here.I leaern from more study.Many of the questions you raise are answered by theology.I am sorry but there is no need to convince you.I wish you well.
Many times I have started to post something and the Holy Spirit has whispered in my ear,'don't do that'.
The Oracle

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

JLDWolfe wrote:
Arguing with a Christian is like playing chess with a chicken. No matter how good one is at chess, the chicken will simply knock all the pieces over, crap on the board, and strut around like it won.
This entire conversation is a bunch of chickens clucking over a fairy tail.
I know that pisses you off, so FORGIVE me ;)

Occasionally in life one comes across a quotation which makes one think "I wish I had said that". The foregoing is such a quotation. It is a positively brilliant observation.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16,21; 3:2,5,10; Eph. 2:8-9 - many Protestants err in their understanding of what Paul means by "works of the law” in his teaching on justification. Paul’s teaching that we are not justified by “works of the law” refer to the law of Moses or to any legal system that makes God our debtor. They do not refer to good works done in grace with faith in Christ. This makes sense when we remember that Paul's mission was to teach that salvation was also for the Gentiles who were not subject to the "works of the law." Here is the proof:
James 2:24 – compare the verse “a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” to Gal. 2:16 –“a man is not justified by works of the law,” and Rom. 3:20,28 –“no human being will be justified in His sight by works of the law.” James 2:24 appears to be inconsistent with Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28 until one realizes that the Word of God cannot contradict itself. This means that the “works” in James 2:24 are different from the “works of the law in Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28. James is referring to “good works”(e.g.,clothing the naked; giving food to the poor) and Paul is referring to the “Mosaic law”(which included both the legal, moral and ceremonial law) or any works which oblige God to give us payment. Here is more proof:
Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16 - Paul's phrase for "works of the law" in the Greek is "ergon nomou" which means the Mosaic law or Torah and refers to the teachings (legal, moral) and works (ceremonial) that gave the Jews the knowledge of sin, but not an escape from sin. We have further proof of this from the Dead Sea Scrolls which provide the Hebrew equivalent ("hrvt ysm") meaning "deeds of the law," or Mosaic law. James in James 2 does not use "ergon nomou." He uses "ergois agathois." Therefore, Paul’s "works of the law" and James' "works" are entirely different types of works. Again, they could never contradict each other because the Scriptures are the inspired word of God.
Rom. 3:29 - Paul confirms that works of the law in this case refer to the Mosaic law by rhetorically asking "Or is God the God of the Jews only?" It does not mean "good works."
Rom. 4:9-17 - Paul provides further discussion that righteousness God seeks in us does not come from Mosaic law, but through faith. But notice that Paul also never says “faith alone.”
Rom. 9:31-32 - righteousness is pursued through faith, not works of the law. Again, "works of law" does not mean "good works."
Rom. 11:6,11 - justification is no longer based on "works" of the law, but on the grace of Christ. Why? Because salvation is also for the Gentiles.
Rom. 15:9-12 - Paul explains that Christ also saves the Gentiles. Therefore, "works of law" are no longer required.
More here; http://www.scripturecatholic.com/justificatio...
SO much for the 'FREE GIFT'. Yours ,you have to work,work, work for. And you have no idea,"How much work is enough"? You should be out beating the bushes trying to 'secure' your salvation. not here wasteing time. How are you doing so far? Are you on track this far? Have you done 'enough' good works for heaven 'for today'? And most importantly 'How do you know what (enough) is? No wonder you need to have a PURGATORY to fall back on.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you know me as Preston. I used this nick when I first came on here and I reverted back to it.
wanted to show people that I am a happily married man with a wonderful wife,
like you.
ATTEMCOWBOY says..... you know me as Preston!

....attemcowboy, Preston, who cares!!

You look just like LARRY KING!

marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Go also to 1 Cor 3:11-17. This is another section that is squarely opposed to your view about rewards v. salvation. In this section, using metaphors, Paul explains that those who do good will be saved, and those who do evil will be condemned (the metaphors Paul uses are gold, silver v. wood, hay). There is a clear polarity between doing good which leads to salvation (v.14) and doing bad which leads to damnation (v.17). This is not about "less rewards."
Verse 15 poses another problem for you. Paul says that those who built with both materials will suffer loss but will still receive their reward. In order to receive the reward, the person must pass through fire. This fire purges the person of the defects which led to the bad works in the first place. The Greek for "suffer loss" refers to a punishment through expiation. In your theology, there is no place for a post-death punishment by fire process before a person is saved. This isn't about receiving "less rewards" because the person STILL receives the reward (which is salvation). Yet the saved person first receives a fiery expiation for their sins after their death.
Jesus also never teaches that "faith alone" leads to salvation. He always focuses on works, not as the basis of more rewards, but to obtain salvation. In fact, Jesus even says "by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned" (Matt 12:37). So you see, Rick, there is nothing about receiving salvation by "faith alone." The Bible is clear that we must add works to our faith to obtain salvation. As James says, we must be doers of the law, and not hearers only, deceiving ourselves. This is the teaching of the Fathers and the 2,000 year-old Catholic Church."
'for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

words, not works.

May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written, "THAT YOU MAY BE JUSTIFIED IN YOUR WORDS, AND PREVAIL WHEN YOU ARE JUDGED."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 9 hr Ecko 8,182
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Jul 26 Link Forrester 3
More Jul 24 True Christian witness 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Jul 24 ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••