Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#408591 Dec 11, 2012
Bible vere of the Day

For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

Luke 9:26 (KJV)

www.Christ.com

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#408592 Dec 11, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
U.S. laws prohibit breaking the speed limit, failing to stop at red lights, murder and theft. By your reasoning one must say that the U.S. didn't say that, because those things are on DIFFERENT PAGES.
You seem only to want to argue. I would suggest that you wish to 'break the law'(God's law). If you can persuade yourself that His law is wrong, or does not exist, you MIGHT be able to salve your conscience...at least for a little while.
KayMarie
Pay attention, this is where your logic fails.

The laws you quoted are from imperfect men, the laws I quoted are from a perfect god.

Speaking of god's laws, are you breaking any? Daily even? Yet you are not concerned with that! Why is that? If god and his judgment is so important to you, why do you not care that you are breaking his laws?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#408593 Dec 11, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the correction! If you christians are right, your god made me dyslexic.
How can you take me seriously? I only quote the bible, I did not write it.
You're welcome

Anyone can quote it...many don't understand it.

You said you were an ex-presbyterian....that explains why you're lost.
LTM

#408594 Dec 11, 2012
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
This Evening's Meditation
C. H. Spurgeon

----------

"Ye serve the Lord Christ."—Colossians 3:24.
O what choice order of officials was this word spoken? To kings who proudly boast a right divine? Ah, no! too often do they serve themselves or Satan, and forget the God whose sufferance permits them to wear their mimic majesty for their little hour. Speaks then the apostle to those so-called "right reverend fathers in God," the bishops, or "the venerable the archdeacons"? No, indeed, Paul knew nothing of these mere inventions of man. Not even to pastors and teachers, or to the wealthy and esteemed among believers, was this word spoken, but to servants, ay, and to slaves. Among the toiling multitudes, the journeymen, the day labourers, the domestic servants, the drudges of the kitchen, the apostle found, as we find still, some of the Lord's chosen, and to them he says, "Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ." This saying ennobles the weary routine of earthly employments, and sheds a halo around the most humble occupations. To wash feet may be servile, but to wash His feet is royal work. To unloose the shoe-latchet is poor employ, but to unloose the great Master's shoe is a princely privilege. The shop, the barn, the scullery, and the smithy become temples when men and women do all to the glory of God! Then "divine service" is not a thing of a few hours and a few places, but all life becomes holiness unto the Lord, and every place and thing, as consecrated as the tabernacle and its golden candlestick.

"Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see;
And what I do in anything to do it as to Thee.
All may of Thee partake, nothing can be so mean,
Which with this tincture, for Thy sake, will not grow bright
and clean.
A servant with this clause makes drudgery divine;
Who sweeps a room, as for Thy laws, makes that and the action fine.
LTM

#408595 Dec 11, 2012
Wisdom from Oswald Chambers
Am I getting nobler, better, more helpful, more humble, as I get older? Am I exhibiting the life that men take knowledge of as having been with Jesus, or am I getting more self-assertive, more deliberately determined to have my own way? It is a great thing to tell yourself the truth.
The Place of Help

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#408596 Dec 11, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How can I leave the Catholic Church when no one can provide one shred of evidence that the Church is not who they say they are?
I have posted numerous times on this forum, on how the RCC (not the so-called "Church") has not upheld any "truth".

How much more do you need me to post, before you do believe it?

What specific piece of evidence are you looking for and I will try to find it for you.

One piece of evidence that you've dismissed already, is the belief that Jesus is "God" - exclaimed by your hierarchy in the 5th and 6th centuries, but not one piece of evidence to secure that.

How much more? Or will there never be enough?

Again, you get to make the choice of what to believe - Self.

No religion required.

There - I've given you two pieces of evidence that supports my position that the RCC is not what it claims.

In a nutshell - one could also claim that since Christianity, doesn't teach all of what Jesus taught, then this in itself, shows a lacking of "truth".
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#408597 Dec 11, 2012
4GVN wrote:
Question: "How can I be saved?"
Answer: This simple, yet profound, question is the most important question that can be asked.”How can I be saved?” deals with where we will spend eternity after our lives in this world are over. There is no more important issue than our eternal destiny. Thankfully, the Bible is abundantly clear on how a person can be saved. The Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas,“Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”(Acts 16:30). Paul and Silas responded,“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved”(Acts 16:31).
I love St. Paul. But I don't love him more than Jesus, and I don't love him enough to ignore everything that Jesus said we must do to have eternal life.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#408598 Dec 11, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
Certainly Jesus knew that there would be life after His death.(We should know that too.) He said beforehand that, "No one takes My life. I GIVE IT." He also said that in three days He would raise up His temple (body).
No sacrifice? Try telling someone who is being tortured to death with nails and thorns and and a spear that they are not sacrificing anything...especially when they are doing it willingly, and out of love FOR YOU!
I don't see you doing that...you don't even show kindness to anyone on here...
KayMarie
There is a huge difference between 'knowing' something and having 'faith' in something. You have faith that there is an afterlife, you have never been in heaven, so you cannot say that you know that it is there.

Do you know that I have not sacrificed anything for anyone? No, but because I am an Atheist, you have faith that I have not. Well, you faith is wrong. I, being an Atheist, realize that this is my only time to do the right things in life.

How many times do you stop, late at night, and give a lift to a stranger? Why is it that I see 20 cars drive by a man stranded on the side of the road and I, the Atheist, is the only one to stop? Out of those 20 cars, 14 of them would claim to be christian, yet it is me that stops.

The first thing you will claim is: "I am a woman and I cannot take the chance." But isn't your god going to protect you? I have no god and I stop. You have no faith in your god to protect you.

Your problem with me is, you don't live up to your god's standards, so you need to find someone, "worse {in christian terms}" than you to make yourself feel better.

You don't follow gods laws any better or worse than I do.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#408599 Dec 11, 2012
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome
Anyone can quote it...many don't understand it.
You said you were an ex-presbyterian....that explains why you're lost.
Help me understand this:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#408600 Dec 11, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the correction! If you christians are right, your god made me dyslexic.
How can you take me seriously? I only quote the bible, I did not write it.
You said:I am an ex-presbyterian. I remember as a young child thinking, If god would have put me there, I would have listened! Why didn't adam? The only answer I got was, You are human, you would have failed, too.
You mean it was a test that no one could pass?
Shut up and stop questioning god.

***and now you're mad at God. Maybe you should be mad at the ones who took you there.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#408601 Dec 11, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>You are obviously not looking for answers Anthony. You are merely looking to make a point. So make your point and quit playing silly games.
Make my point....hmmm. I would say that 'receiving' Him means trusting what He says we must do and actually doing it. I'm very fond of the parable Jesus told in Matt. 21:28.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#408602 Dec 11, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I love St. Paul. But I don't love him more than Jesus, and I don't love him enough to ignore everything that Jesus said we must do to have eternal life.
So you think St. Paul got it wrong?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#408603 Dec 11, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
So when are you going to start believing in Jesus in ALL of what he taught and spoke upon?
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlalpha.html
Why do you believe men?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#408604 Dec 11, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Make my point....hmmm. I would say that 'receiving' Him means trusting what He says we must do and actually doing it. I'm very fond of the parable Jesus told in Matt. 21:28.
Not true. If a friend came to your door, how would you recieve them? Jesus SAID 'I stand at the door(of your heart) and knock, if any man will OPEN THE DOOR and RECIEVE ME I will come in....

Albuquerque, NM

#408605 Dec 11, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
...and again, when are you going to begin trusting him with these teachings?

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

Wait a minute - I forgot - you don't believe in Jesus, only the men who brought you teachings they said were from Jesus.

I'll make a note of it, so I don't forget about this specific point.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#408606 Dec 11, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Simply He sacrificed His right to destroy His enemies,set Himself free and rule the world,than,rather than to allow the Free Will of human kind to receive Him by faith,using their free will to choose either to serve Him or to hate Him.He chooses to watch over us like a Shepherd rather than a tyrant.
You asked a good question Black Sheep,but you thought that Jesus really didn't sacrifice anything,as He is alive and surely dying and not rising would be somewhat a real sacrifice for such a person as He. Nevertheless,Jesus sacrificed His Right to vanquish His Enemies,to allow them the temporal victory of His B o d y by Crucifixion and death,but by His own Blood redeeming even His Enemies if they come to Him by faith.
What you are saying just does not make sense. I have known a lot of good fathers, mothers, and bosses who were not tyrants, but the children and subordinates towed the line. It doesn't take a tyrant to run a tight ship. It takes education, patience, and understanding. If your god was real, he would understand what people like me require to believe.

Does your god expect us all to be the same? Go into a school and you will quickly see that different children require different ways of teaching, to learn. If we are all so different, why does your god require that I learn about him the same as you?

One would think that a god was smarter than that.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#408607 Dec 11, 2012
This is a very profound point being made by John Salza to those of you who believe in the very dangerous and unbiblical doctrine of OSAS;

The doctrine of "once saved, always saved" was invented by John Calvin during the Reformation. Under this theory, the Protestant believes that one is saved when he accepts Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. This is comforting - after all, who wouldn't want assurance? According to this view, true Christians are the ones who will persevere to the end. For those who accepted Christ during their lives but did not persevere to the end, the doctrine calls these people superficial Christians. So true Christians will go to heaven and superficial Christians will not. Not only is this teaching not Scriptural, it is difficult to accept the teaching on reason.

The only distinction between a true Christian and a superficial Christian is that the superficial Christian did not persevere to the end. Otherwise, the two types of Christians appear to be the same. The superficial Christian has all the earmarks of a true Christian except that he did not persevere. But this necessarily means that the true Christian cannot know that he really is a true Christian either until the end of his life. He, too, won't know whether his conversion was genuine until the end of his life. Therefore, despite all the talk about assurance, he cannot be sure.

This doctrine, therefore, actually gives its adherents less assurance of their salvation. It necessarily imposes upon them uncertainty until the end. The Catholic (and Scriptural) view, however, does give assurance to the believer that he is in fact currently saved (a true Christian), and that, if he perseveres to the end, he will be saved at death. We also know that God will give all the graces necessary for us to be faithful to the end (because of our freewill, the question is always whether we will accept the grace or not). Thus, Catholics know that it is theirs to lose. Protestant Calvinists don't even know whether it is theirs to begin with.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/

Albuquerque, NM

#408608 Dec 11, 2012
LTM wrote:
Bible vere of the Day
For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
www.Christ.com
So why are you "afraid" of these words?

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#408609 Dec 11, 2012
Are we saved by GRACE or by our level of obdience? What does the bible say?

Albuquerque, NM

#408610 Dec 11, 2012
LTM wrote:
Bible vere of the Day
www.Christ.com
Correction - "ashamed" not "afraid", but no matter - both show a turning away from Jesus, in both regards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 8 hr Big Tiny 9,189
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 8 hr barry 84,080
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... Apr 25 Sherlayne 8
News Pope Francis visit to Cuba confirmed Apr 25 W A Y L O N 2
News Extremists sought in possible plot against the ... Apr 24 tomin cali 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Apr 24 JJF 664
News Ion Mihai Pacepa 46 minutes ago History often r... Apr 24 Tom Jones 1
More from around the web