Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,315
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#406246 Dec 1, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Catholics I know are Catholic by choice. By that I mean they are adults now and have a choice.
Your theory that we are stupid sheep or something doesn't hold up. I could easily walk into any thousands of protestant churches in my area and leave Catholicism behind.
Or like you, could choose not to believe at all.
Maybe you could recruit me into atheism.
I doubt you could because Atheist theories on how we got here sound way more silly than religious beliefs.
Clay says.....

.......doubt you could because Atheist theories on how we got here sound way more silly than religious beliefs.

You don't believe we are known as the species of Homo Sapien?
Do you believe we are exactly the same today as when you believe God created mankind?

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fos...

Why do you not allow yourself to learn about our world outside of what your church teaches you? You have so much to learn, but fear in doing so. Very Sad!

Fun Facts

Lake, MI

#406247 Dec 1, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~
What you believe is a lie that has been propagated across the world
and is the reason the the CHURCH IS BEING OVERTAKEN BY THE DEVIL TODAY..
FOR STARTERS..
THE LAST WORDS OF JESUS... BEFORE HE LEFT THE EARTH
WERE.
Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
YOUR POWERLESS DENOMINATION ...AMONG OTHERS,,,HAVE DENIED TIE HOLY GHOST POWER (THE DUNAMIS THE JESUS SAID THE CHURCH WOULD RECEIVE)
AND ACT AS IF JESUS LIED...
GOD'S POWER (THAT WAS AVAILABLE TO THE APOSTLES)
IS AVAILABLE FOR TRUE BELIEVERS
IT HAS HAS NEVER DIMINISHED ONE IOTA
GOD WILL NOT FORCE HIS POWER UPON UNBELIEVERS SUCH AS YOUR SELF
~~~
2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 --> Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:<--
from such turn away.
"--> Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:<--"
I feel you may be overlooking...
http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/scrip...
http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/l...
Questions?
http://avemariaradio.net/catholic-online-radi...
marge

Ames, IA

#406248 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of several protestant pastors who have divorced and remarried. Many high profile protestants have done the same. They say they are saved and nothing can cause them to loose their salvation. They continue to preach.
Most Christian communities (until the last few years) considered this living in sin. It is a continuous sin, repeated every day until they die.
Since when is living in an adulterous relationship with no intention of stopping it only ONE sin? Are their divorced and remarried people in your congregation? Are they saved, unlost, Christians?
there is a reason for divorce you know, and probably ninty-percent of the married population commits adultury, including with their mind.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#406249 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of several protestant pastors who have divorced and remarried. Many high profile protestants have done the same. They say they are saved and nothing can cause them to loose their salvation. They continue to preach.
Most Christian communities (until the last few years) considered this living in sin. It is a continuous sin, repeated every day until they die.
Since when is living in an adulterous relationship with no intention of stopping it only ONE sin? Are their divorced and remarried people in your congregation? Are they saved, unlost, Christians?
I know of 40 women in italy who wrote to the pope demanding celebacy be changed because they are GIRLFRIENDS OF ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIESTS.......OMG!

http://www.theweek.co.uk/people-news/14307/pr...

ANTHONY just GOOGLE....CATHOLIC PRIEST GIRLFRIENDS.....

and read the many, many stories of what goes on behind the scenes while you are blasting the protestant clergy for being adulterous. Names of the priests are given. Oh my!

you keep throwing protestant mudpies but your own church yard has the BIGGEST PILE OF MUD than they know what to do with.........but you will NEVER! report on these less than genuous gentlemen, now will you?

Carry on with your rant about the others now......UNBELIEVABLE!
(lol)

LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#406250 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>BABIES are precious,how their angels amuse the God of all Creation! Babies should never be considered in any way shape or form destined for hell,or a limbo,or anything but with the LORD.
I cannot imagine the God of all mercy and truth,who weighs all the balances,who sets everything in motion,who CREATED everything we see and cannot see,to take a baby and condemn it to hell or a limbo just because that baby was not baptized.There is something disturbing about a belief that suggests even for a second that God our heavenly Father would destroy infants because they were not baptized.
Can we find a Scripture both in the OLD or NEW Covenants that concludes without a doubt that infants can be damned to an eternity in hell,or placed in a limbo,separated from the presence of God for an eternity? YET,we hear many Christians both in Catholic and Prot circles that will say that an aborted baby goes immediately to heaven and even grows there.Surely that baby was not baptized before its was killed in the womb.It is unthinkable to consider an eternal hell for innocents.
I have personally no problem with infant baptism as far as using it as a rite for introducing the baby into the family of God or as deication to the LORD.But to even hint that the baby if not baptized is destined to a Christless eternity,brings on a character of God that defies His Mercy,Compassion and the New Testament Good News.NONE of us are worthy without Christ.
There is one thing if we are disobedient,and called the children of disobedience,that puts us into Satan's camp,but that does not mean that innocent babies are the children of disobedience,as they are unable to offend God.Sin is of no obstacle to God,dedication and godly parents are a covering to a child's welfare before the Living God.If that baby dies in the meantime,It will not be a matter of the baby's soul to being saved,but that the baby is immediately with the LORD!
Amen Pad. I agree 100% with this comment.

{I cannot imagine the God of all mercy and truth,who weighs all the balances,who sets everything in motion,who CREATED everything we see and cannot see,to take a baby and condemn it to hell or a limbo just because that baby was not baptized.There is something disturbing about a belief that suggests even for a second that God our heavenly Father would destroy infants because they were not baptized.}
Clay

United States

#406251 Dec 1, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay says....
Most Catholics I know are Catholic by choice. By that I mean they are adults now and have a choice.
Michael says......how many devout catholic families would embrace their son or daughter if they left the faith? They would shun them just like Amish people do when they leave their belief ....
Id say more parents then children or young adults have left the faith. Including my own.
Then, when people are done living their lives, and they become elderly, they come back to the faith.
At least, that's the pattern I see.

So no Michael, I don't see any family pressure to remain Catholic.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406252 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony,the situations you bring out here are a thorn in the flesh to many congregations.Actually for ministers to divorce and re-marry and contiue ministries although becoming common place,meet with much resistance,and many denominations will not allow a minister to lead a church if they are divorced.
It is a concern to many believers that these things are happening without resistance or confrontation.In my church recently a man who has been a minister,divorced and married again,was asked to step down from his position,and he left the church disgruntled.He thought the church was judging his past.But we have to look at the Word.What is to stop that individual let's say again to divorce his present wife,and find another a year or so later,should he continue to minister? Compromising the Word seems to be second-place for many congregations.Most of the divorced ministers were married to believing wives,and have children from their first marriage.
How do those children feel about their fathers who were once strong ministers,having their mother alongside the father in many facets of ministry,and now their parents are divorced? The father remarries and has a congregation with him,how does he counsel couples who are struggling?When he himself abandoned his own marriage,his believing wife is now trying to fend for herself,no doubt the children are with the mother.It is wreckless to say the least,and I have seen a poor quality of vocational ability in those ministers who were divorced and have new families,their other families living away from them and having trouble surviving.The children are often disrespectful and abandon church.
I doubt the LORD is pleased with such situations!
No, He's not pleased.

Divorce is horrible, no question. Re-marriage was always considered adultery. It happens just as much in the Catholic Church as in protestant communities.

Follow the conversation though Dan. 4gvn says that becasue there were a handful of popes who lived sinful lives, the Catholic Church could not possibly preach the truth. His assertion falls flat the minute he realizes that every faith community has leaders that are sinful. We're all sinful, but that doesn't mean we can't preach the truth.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#406253 Dec 1, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how you twist the civil law of the 1st Amendmentment, into a religious law.
This civil law dictates that laws cannot be made to include a religious belief.
It's not the other way around as you like to believe it to be.
In other words, the Bible, a religious law to some, DOES NOT TRUMP civil laws.
Do you really believe religious laws carry more wait in a court of law about what is right and what is wrong?
Try using a Levitical "law" in court. You won't win.
NASL

You ask, "Do you really believe religious laws carry more wait in a court of law about what is right and what is wrong?"

Of course I don't, for two reasons.... It is not a religous law, but a person that goes to a civil court of law.

Secondly, civil court has nothing to do with what is right or wrong. Right and wrong are a moral issue, which comes from God.
(In our case in the U.S., at this time, laws are philosophically/religously based on European Christian Enlightenment values. This is changing.... So we are more fortunate, at this time, that Christianity and religion is called an inalienable right in this country. If we lived in a predomininately Muslim country, though a civil court existed, Christianity would be less tolerated, and a Christian would have rights curtailed/ or nullified. This makes civil law have nothing to do with right/wrong in a moral sense.)
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406254 Dec 1, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of 40 women in italy who wrote to the pope demanding celebacy be changed because they are GIRLFRIENDS OF ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIESTS.......OMG!
http://www.theweek.co.uk/people-news/14307/pr...
ANTHONY just GOOGLE....CATHOLIC PRIEST GIRLFRIENDS.....
and read the many, many stories of what goes on behind the scenes while you are blasting the protestant clergy for being adulterous. Names of the priests are given. Oh my!
you keep throwing protestant mudpies but your own church yard has the BIGGEST PILE OF MUD than they know what to do with.........but you will NEVER! report on these less than genuous gentlemen, now will you?
Carry on with your rant about the others now......UNBELIEVABLE!
(lol)
Mike, I stopped paying attention to everything you post quite a while ago. I just thought I should let you know that.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406255 Dec 1, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
{I cannot imagine the God of all mercy and truth,who weighs all the balances,who sets everything in motion,who CREATED everything we see and cannot see,to take a baby and condemn it to hell or a limbo just because that baby was not baptized.There is something disturbing about a belief that suggests even for a second that God our heavenly Father would destroy infants because they were not baptized.}
I pray that unbaptized babies go to heaven too. And the Church teaches us to pray for their souls. We baptize babies because we believe the bible says you must be baptized. What's disturbing is that while you claim to be bible only, you believe something about baptism that can't be found in the bible.
Clay

United States

#406256 Dec 1, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>It is not my faith that is challenged by these evil LEADERS of the RCC. It is a question you must answer.
Hold on now. My faith is challenged by an evil Pope? Oh no no no.
First of all,'evil' may not even apply. Keep in mind, gossip definitely played a role in history's verdict of these men.
Corrupt Popes? Yes I believe we had a couple out of 265.
But that strengthens my faith more than ever. Because I know Christ wasn't lying when He said "The gates of Hell shall not prevail" and "I promise to be with you til the end of age".
In other words, the man responsible for the day to day operations of His Church until He comes back, can't even topple it. Amazing. Those corrupt Popes did not have the ability to change Church teachings. That is evidence the Church truly is protected against the Devil when it comes to teachings on faith and morals. The Devil had his opportunity to bring down the Church when the head shepherd was 'evil'. Yet, he couldn't do it. So he settled for a radical Priest named Martin Luther. Voila, here you are, the product of this corrupt Priest. Sola scripture sola fide.
How is that working out for society so far?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406257 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Sin is accompanied by a mindset of compliance.When we sin,if we as believers do not confess our sins and repent of them,we are bound to the control the evil one attempts in deceiving and pollutting what God has given to the individual.
It is not just one sin,I am saying more a mindset that through deception occupies the thoughts and imagination influenced by sin.
Truth of course cannot be altered,but the way it is delivered and given to others by those who are bound in sin is distortion.When the priest of God gives in to personal sin,he takes a chance of becoming ultimately a deceiver,because he has allowed that which is holy in him to become cheapened by his sin.That is why we call things which seem holy and are not counterfeits.The people who fell into sin and error and were once enlightened distorted the truth within them,they cannot serve both God and the devil.
Imagine HS if a whole society of religious people who have truth,and they give in to corruption.The tentacles of evil deceit,cloud their thinking,and they eventually pervert the truth.I have seen churches or fellowships,that were once walking in wonderful truth,and they had a minister who fulfilled his own lusts walked in darkness,and lead that group down a path of sordid beliefs that tore the whole fellowship to shreds,and their youth forsook the Lord,abandoned real faith,and are now of the world,giving no thought of God.
There is a group of people in my neighborhood who live close to each other,were once part of a church fellowship where the minister led the whole group to stealing another fellowship,lied about another pastor and caused havoc for he and his wife.The people near me are no longer walking in faith,they are worldly and abandoned Christianity,they live unto themselves and do not want to hear anything about God.What's sad is that when trouble comes to their home they are hopeless,cuss and show their anger toward God whom they forsook,because of their connection with a pastor who was corrupt.
The truth of Christ prevails,but unfortunately we see people who distort the truth and lead others to destruction with them,all because they did not go to God to stop in its tracks the sin of the pastor from the beginning,which later caused division and a trail of unbelief,rather than real faith.
All that and still no answer to the 'specific question'.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406258 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a point to your questions?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406259 Dec 1, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay says....
Michael says......how many devout catholic families would embrace their son or daughter if they left the faith? They would shun them just like Amish people do when they leave their belief system.
Creation story?? Which one? There are two distinct creation stories in the bible. Which one you going with?(lol)
God creates adam out of dirt, makes a mistake and realizes man is lonely so he makes man fall asleep and removes one of his ribs to make woman. OKKKKAY!(lol) Let me see, God can snap his fingers and create the entire universe out of nothing, but in order to create a woman he has to figure out how to do it first?
I could write better fiction!
When did I ever call you stupid sheep? BAH BAH BAH1!
Now you sound like a fool.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406260 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony,the situations you bring out here are a thorn in the flesh to many congregations.Actually for ministers to divorce and re-marry and contiue ministries although becoming common place,meet with much resistance,and many denominations will not allow a minister to lead a church if they are divorced.
It is a concern to many believers that these things are happening without resistance or confrontation.In my church recently a man who has been a minister,divorced and married again,was asked to step down from his position,and he left the church disgruntled.He thought the church was judging his past.But we have to look at the Word.What is to stop that individual let's say again to divorce his present wife,and find another a year or so later,should he continue to minister? Compromising the Word seems to be second-place for many congregations.Most of the divorced ministers were married to believing wives,and have children from their first marriage.
How do those children feel about their fathers who were once strong ministers,having their mother alongside the father in many facets of ministry,and now their parents are divorced? The father remarries and has a congregation with him,how does he counsel couples who are struggling?When he himself abandoned his own marriage,his believing wife is now trying to fend for herself,no doubt the children are with the mother.It is wreckless to say the least,and I have seen a poor quality of vocational ability in those ministers who were divorced and have new families,their other families living away from them and having trouble surviving.The children are often disrespectful and abandon church.
I doubt the LORD is pleased with such situations!
Duh!
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406261 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text> I have personally no problem with infant baptism as far as using it as a rite for introducing the baby into the family of God or as deication to the LORD.
Pad, it really doesn't matter in the least whether you have a problemwith infant baptism. The question is does God have a problem with it. Is it what He taught us?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406262 Dec 1, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Is there a point to your questions?
Well....yes there is indeed a point. Many protestant communities have divorced and re-married pastors preaaching the truth as far as they are concerned, yet according to Catholic doctrine (and the doctrine of the majority of protestant communities until a few years ago), they are living a life of sin in an adulterous relationship. Jesus spoke very harshly of adultery. If you insist that the Catholic Church could not be led by men who were living in sin, that they were ungodly and not saved and not Christians, how do you explain your protestant brethren?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406263 Dec 1, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You agree 100%? Does that mean you agree with Pad's statement that 'he personally has no problem with infant baptism?' Be careful what you aagree to.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406264 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No, He's not pleased.
Divorce is horrible, no question. Re-marriage was always considered adultery. It happens just as much in the Catholic Church as in protestant communities.
Follow the conversation though Dan. 4gvn says that becasue there were a handful of popes who lived sinful lives, the Catholic Church could not possibly preach the truth. His assertion falls flat the minute he realizes that every faith community has leaders that are sinful. We're all sinful, but that doesn't mean we can't preach the truth.
Anthony, baring false witness??? And you make so much noise about that. I NEVER said that or anything like that. WHAT I DID SAY was that because (SOME) POPES were some of the most evil men throughout history and were OBVIOUSLY not christians they cannot be aposlols. And therefore Apostolic Succesion ends there. If one believes that it ever began. If you are going to quote me, please do it correctly.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#406265 Dec 1, 2012
who="Clay"
I already did all of that a long time ago. Now what?
This is the part where you tell me I'm not really a Christian because I'm still Catholic and therefore not saved.
This is also the part where I tell you to get lost. You're no authority on Christianity nor the bible.

Now what? You, like others tend to speak for strangers, and tell them what they are going to think and say. That is not proof that you have found the peace/love/joy that is available through Jesus This is KM, not Gif, by the way. I have never told anyone that they are not 'Christian' simply because they are Catholic.

I understand that one has to follow Jesus for a while to learn to LOVE others...Muslims included...and enemies...and even in-laws! It doesn't come easy as our human nature is quick to 'feel' offense...but WITH HIM IT IS POSSIBLE.

So you tell someone to 'get lost' because they disagree with you on some points? Actually, my disagreement is not with you personally. You are not the RCC, even though you are submitted to it.

I had an experience Thursday. I met a man in the doctor's office who chatted with us about the things of the day, and he told me that he was a Catholic. I asked no questions, but in the process of the discussion he said that they had scripture readings in their Catholic school. He said, "We didn't read the Bible at home." He was...as far as I could see...a nice gentleman, but he was not familiar with the Bible.

We didn't read the Bible at home! What a statement.

If you have done all those things, at least you have a good start. Keep walking...He will help you as long as you are looking to Him.

KayMarie

My hope is not to offend or condemn, but to find some unity in Christ.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Wed Jesus saves 8,717
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence Tue Jeff Brightone 1
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Dec 23 USA Born 83,901
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Dec 23 woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web