Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
391,041 - 391,060 of 533,731 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Gotta run. Later.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

preston wrote:
<quoted text>NOw maybe some of you people will understand why I say that those who get saved receive the "spirit" of Christ instead of being Baptised or Filled with the Holy Ghost.
and people like marge doesnt know what she is talking about.there is a difference between receiving the "spirit" of Christ and being filled with the Holy Ghost
Preston,

Also, the Apostle Paul:

Acts 19:6

6 When Paul placed his hands on them,[[[the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.]]]
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Not nasty, just sayin'........ Tell me YOUR STORY: about HIS GLORY. When were you first convicted of your need to be saved? When did you come to saving faith in Jesus? Have you had a life changing experience? Do you KNOW that if you died tonight, that you would go to heaven? What is the GOOD NEWS for Anthony?
Yes, praise God, I have experienced all of these things by His grace through His Body, the Church. But I think your evangelical schtick is what St. James was talking about.
dr fill

Wheeling, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

World around us wrote:
What is the percentage of priests who are abnormals and sex perverts?
I would venture to say that 50% of priest are child molesters.And 25% of the remaining 50% are homo's.And the pope is well aware of what goes on.So he should be in jail.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

preston wrote:
Philip went into Samaria to preach the Gospel there. While he was there, miracles and wonders occurred by his ministry, and demons were cast out of many people. As a result they were baptized.
Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
They supposedly already "received" the Holy Ghost.
Acts 8:14-16 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Here is what occurred after the two apostles arrived.
Acts 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
The above experience shows us that one does not "receive the Holy Ghost" automatically when one is baptized
preston

lol. Don't get mad.....But that is very Catholic of you.(smile)

You do know in Catholicism Confirmation is a process(generally) in younger folks, and the laying on of hands by the priest(traced back to the apostles) more or less is a sign and seals the process of receiving the Holy Ghost.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>You might want to add
Acts 10:44-48
King James Version (KJV)
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Have to understand your baptisms, 7th...

Acts 10:46-47

46 For they heard them ~~~speaking in tongues~~~ and praising God.

Then Peter said,

47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.[[[[[They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”]]]]] going back to Acts Chapter 2.....APOSTLES
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>So do you believe that one can live a 'life' of sin and still be a christian? OSAS? I don't.
Not unless they repent. Is there a point in time before the end of ones life where it becomes too late? What's the difference between a baptist preacher who has an adulterous affair for 2 weeks or two years if they both repent?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO reference here to the Holy Spirit at all. The Holy Spirit ONLY works in the hearts of christians. NOt in an institution. The Holy Spirit guides christians(individually), This is the church. The biblical definition of a church is a (called out assembly). What man is the 'leader of the RCC?
Thanks for your opinion.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>I am in your debt however, as I am appreciating how much more progressive God is in dealing with "slavery" contrasted with other cultures at the time this verse(you like so much,lol)/law was given....
That statement moved you higher on the list! How stupid can you really be? You must be a poe.
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>Just a note, slavery as we perceive the word today is not the same as when this law was written.(I would explain further, but...,
since what I write means nothing to you. I will keep silent.)
Let's see:
1500BCE One person could own another.
1500CE One person could own another.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally sell his slave.
1500CE The master could legally sell his slave.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally own slave and pass that slave and the slaves offspring off to his heirs.
1500CE The master could legally own slave and pass that slave and the slaves offspring off to his heirs.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally kill his slave.
1500CE The master could legally kill his slave.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally sell the slave's wife and child.
1500CE The master could legally sell the slave's wife and child.
That is the same.

I am not seeing the how the meaning of the word has changed. So the true reason of why you will not explain the difference, is because there is no difference. You are either a liar or an idiot.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

DEFENDER of Blessed MARY wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert writes "... how much more progressive God is in dealing with slavery"
No Robert, "progressive" would be God condemning the immorality of slavery, period.
But if your god can only make it relatively less cruel than other cultures (in your mind only, btw), then you are referring to a weak, waffling god.
Maybe the same god who couldn't destroy chariots because they were made of iron?
His statements confuse me. Is he really that stupid, that gullible, or a poe?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth good friend
Thanks for your response....
My immediate reply is that which you quote, Romans 10:9
" That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Since it is God that knows the heart of an infant, and an infant is not able to confess..., as his knowledge and understanding are not yet developed, infant baptism is legitimate because of the heart....It is kind of a glass half full/half empty issue. And since God's Grace is more than sufficient for salvation, let God have the Glory....
Another way to put it, if one is brain damaged, so that knowledge of sin is eliminated, does that make them ineligible for salvation, again by God's Grace, and God knowing the heart? I think yes. To God be the Glory.
But that brings us to sin. And the sense of sin. I am really glad you brought this up. I am studying this at this time....I am finding the older I get, the more quickly I know something is a sin. And ifwhen I sin, the more quickly I seek penance.
But sin and the sense of sin is growing duller in our culture, and seems the world over....I might attribute it to the destructiveness of the last century(although we think of technology as advancement), all the wars and dedication to them the world over seems like it was on the rise....What do you think?
Robert,

If God says with "YOUR MOUTH" then that is what He means....

We do not have the authority to charge that....an infant cannot confess with THEIR MOUTH....

Confessing Christ is so important....

"Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also CONFESS BEFORE MY FATHER who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before my Father who is in heaven."

We surely want Jesus to CONFESS us before our Father who is in heaven....

If we deny Christ and not CONFESS with OUR MOUTHS, then we are going to be lost....

Look how important this is:

"For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when he comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."

An infant/small child cannot understand all of this....

Listen to the Apostle Peter:

"Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. Jesus answered and said to him, Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

What Christ pleased by his confession???

ABSOLUTELY!!!

No disrespect but I do not see how anyone can justify infant/small child's baptism....

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Free Mind good friend
Oh alright.....I was writing to Michael, and he wasn't listening. So I didn't want to repeat myself for nothing....
My answer is this....I respect their decision. They have free-will to choose. Although I don't think they are well informed, and thus makes them foolish....Let me explain:
Consider it this way....What is more important?
If one must break the speed law in order to save a life, which is the wiser course of action?
If one must break civil law(being a "citizen") in order to save a life one concludes the priority is correct, while being informed.
But which is more important civil law, or religous law? In our case it is an "inalienable" right to have religion, therefore religion trumps civil law. And this again is a prioritized list.
So atheists deny not only God/religion, but they reject the civil law prioritizing religion....In other words they are uninformed or misinformed in their decision. This makes them foolish in their choices....
I've noticed that you like to use analogies that only play to your religion.

Religious laws do not trump civil laws, but only in your mind.

Please provide a citation to the fact that shows what you have said to be factual, true and "law".

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> The Holy Spirit ONLY works in the hearts of christians. NOt in an institution. The Holy Spirit guides christians(individually), This is the church.
Can you provide any factual support to support your speculation?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>You might have bit off more than you can chew on this topic you choose here Free Mind.
Catholics do not want to believe that Mary was an ordinary woman,the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception already launches Mary into that semi divine state no other human being can enter.
I have always believed that Mary being a Jewish woman,born in sin as the rest of us,is even with a greater testimony of faith in regards to her Son.Because it was in her virginity that He was kept in a holy state,and since sin is passed through the male seed,the woman' virgin state is the sacred temple of His conception.
Mary's compliance with allowing her body to receive that Holy Seed from God the Holy Spirit,knew her state as the Handmaiden of the LORD.She knew that God is her Savior,and that His using her in the Holiest Plan of Salvation,includes hher salvation as well,and what greater testimony could Mary have than to not only know the Savior but to be saved from sin herself.
Mary represents humanity in a way that no other woman could possibly know,she bears in her womb the Holy Child Jesus,and she is saved from sin,knowing the new life within,but actually experiencing the full pregnancy of God the Son in her body.What could be more blessed,no other woman can testify to the magnitude of what Mary experiences in the full development of the Life of Christ in her womb in the state of pregnancy.
It is more glorious that Mary like all women born of human flesh was saved from sin,and was chosen to bear in her body the Holy One of Israel. Sin is of no obstacle to God her Father,as she yielded complete contro of her body and soul to HIM who saves,as He is the only Savior.Jesus would be the ONE who had to purchase our salvation with His own body,flesh and blood.But Mary had the priviledge to experience salvation from sin through the Father,the prophet Isaiah calls the ONLY Savior.
Mary is blessed,beyond words with the magnitude of her salvation from sin,and being the Mother of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,who laid down His life for our salvation.It is doubly wondrous for Mary in that she experienced from the Father salvation,and she later watches her beloved Son go through the horrible torture of His entire being for the salvation of all humanity!
Pad good friend

Here is something you might consider, and others....We all know that Mary is Blessed because of being the Mother of Jesus. It is a rather common acceptance by all Christians be they Protestants,or Catholics, non-denominational....

But Jesus makes a teaching of such circumstances, and Luke 11:28

"But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.",

is a greater reason for being blessed.

We can enter into the same relationship of Mary and Jesus, which is being hearers and keepers of the word of God....Remember she heard, through the angel the Word of God, and responded, "May it be done unto me, according to thy Word." And this is even more of a reason for her being called blessed. And we too are blessed....that is happy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I've noticed that you like to use analogies that only play to your religion.
Religious laws do not trump civil laws, but only in your mind.
Please provide a citation to the fact that shows what you have said to be factual, true and "law".
NASL

1st Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution....The FIRST!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, and the FREE EXERCISE thereof....

So..., if one considers eternal law more important than natural law, and natural law more important than civil law, then the order is correct.

In other words, eternal life is more important than physical life, and physical life is more important than breaking the speed law....

Its the Law of the Land here in the U.S....New Agers might want to make natural law trump everything. And do everything they can to change it. But there it is in black and white....Read it and weap....
preston

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Preston,
I know that you disagree with me and that is fine...I respect you for that....
Just a little message for you:
John 7:38-39
38 Whoever [believes] in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”
39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.
***Believes = will receive
***Will receive what = Holy Spirit (later to receive)
***Spirit had not been given = Jesus had not yet been glorified
A promise that was foretold by scriptures:
Isaiah 44:3
3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring,
and my blessing on your descendants.
The Holy Spirit was given after the resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ to the right hand of the Father and was glorified.
Book of Acts Chapter 1 & 2, he (God) sent forth the Spirit upon His apostles on the day of Pentecost.(No water and no blood required)
God speaking through the Apostle Peter:
Acts 2:38
38 Peter replied,“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Why in the name of Jesus Christ???
Jesus' blood (spiritual)
Why be baptized???
For the forgiveness of your sins
And receive what???
The gift of the Holy Spirit
Why???
Because the Holy Spirit had already been poured out and Jesus had already been glorified.
Acts 5:32
32 We (APOSTLES) are ~~~~~witnesses of these things,~~~~~ and [[[[[so is the Holy Spirit,]]]]]****whom God has given to those who obey him.”*****
God working in baptism....ABSOLUTELY!!!
Romans 8:9-10
9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but <<<<<are in the realm of the Spirit,>>>>> if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you.*****And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.*****
10 ~~~~~But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to DEATH~~~~~ because of <SIN,> [[[[[the Spirit gives life because of righteousness.]]]]]
but Hank, the 39th verse that you are using is exactly the verse that I use to describe My Experience that I had 36 hours after I was Saved and 9 months, 1 day before I was Baptised in Water.

and I agree that it was a prophecy, however there was a condition to go along with those verses and you are not using it for some reason.

Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink

not everyone is as thirsty as I was, and I know no other person who has had that Experience besides myself.

it is proof that a person receives the Holy Ghost after they are Saved, as I received Him, but it doesnt prove that you received Him unless that Same Water that flowed from my belly alos flowed from your belly.

it is proof for me but not you or anyone else unless they can testify of that experience.

please address the two Incidents that I used to show that people never received the Holy Ghost even tho they have been baptised.

God is not the Author of Confusion, what He does for one, He can do for another.

what He didnt do for many, is proof that no Person received the Holy Ghost just because they got Baptised by Water.

If so, show me in the Bilbe of those who were Filled with the Holy Ghost by being Baptised with Water.

dont show me a bunch of Bible verses that skirt the issue, show me the people who were. that should settle this problem once and for all.

I showed you people in Samaria who beleived and never received the Holy Ghost and also those in Ephesus.

lets see you or anyone else show us someone who did receive teh holy Ghost by Water Baptism/

if it is Biblical, then it should be in the Bible.that should solve it easily enough.

luv u hank, you are a nice guy but you are not Biblically correct in this doctrine.
preston

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you always turn nasty? That's not very Christian of you.
now just chill out.lol .you knew that he wasnt a nice guy in the first place

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
NASL
1st Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution....The FIRST!
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, and the FREE EXERCISE thereof....
So..., if one considers eternal law more important than natural law, and natural law more important than civil law, then the order is correct.
In other words, eternal life is more important than physical life, and physical life is more important than breaking the speed law....
Its the Law of the Land here in the U.S....New Agers might want to make natural law trump everything. And do everything they can to change it. But there it is in black and white....Read it and weap....
I would love to have some of what you are smokin'! LOL!

I bet that does make a lot of sense to you... if you are really stoned.

Can your religious group legally walk in to any public school and baptize children? No. Civil law trumps your god's laws.
preston

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Preston,
If I may....
Philip could NOT impart the POWER of the Holy Spirit to others.
Acts 8:13
13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere,[[[[[astonished by the ~~~~~great signs and miracles~~~~~ HE SAW.]]]]]
Only the apostles had the ability to impart the POWER of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands.
Acts 8:14
14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God,~~~~~they sent Peter and John to Samaria.~~~~~
The apostles sent Peter and John....
Why????
Only by the laying on of the apostles' hands was the POWER of the Holy Spirit given.
Preston, look at this verse carefully:
Acts 8:18
18 When Simon <<<SAW>>> that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money.
Now, do we see the ~miraculous powers~ being performed today???
NO!!!
WHY???
The ~~~miraculous powers~~~ CEASED to continue once those who had been given this POWER DIED as the POWER could not be passed on.
sorry Hank, but the fact that Phillip wasnt an Apostle doesnt have anything to do with the Fact that he preached to those in Samaria and THEY BELEIVED AND WERE BAPTISED

YET DIDNT RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST.

SIMON DOESNT HAVE ANYHTING TO DO WITH THIS SO DONT BRING HIM IN WITH YOUR DIVERSION.

STAY ON TOPIC IF YOU WILL.

WE ARENT TALKING ABOUT ANY POWER OF THE HOLY GHOST, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT YOUR DOCTRINE OF RECEIVING THE HOLY GHOST WHEN A PERSON IS BAPTISED.

and that 18th verse says nothing about Power so why are you adding to the Scriptures? dont do that Hank, it aint right.

the Fact remains, they Heard, they believed, and they were baptised, YET THEY STILL WERE NOT FILLED WITH THE HOLY GHOST.

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Now that 15th verse agrees with what I mentioned a few weeks ago, when I went to a church and a woman was wanting to Receive the Holy Ghost and People Prayed for her but she still was not Filled, and then i went up and told the pastor that we should pray again and this time God would answer and He did and She was Filled and began to shout the victory
preston

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston,
Also, the Apostle Paul:
Acts 19:6
6 When Paul placed his hands on them,[[[the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.]]]
you arent proving any point, the Bible says what it says.

Gill says this.

And when Paul had laid his hands upon them,.... They having been before baptized, not by him, but by John, or one of his disciples, in the name of the Lord Jesus; just as Peter and John laid their hands upon the believing Samaritans, who had been before baptized by Philip, Acts 8:14 and the same extraordinary effects followed:

so whatever pont that you a re trying to make is moot.

since the Bible clearly agrees with me and not you.

And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain {disciples,}SEE THIS HANK.DISCIPLES, THAT MEANS ALREADY SAVED, THEY ARE NOT SINNERS AND THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN BAPTISED BY WATER. QUIT TRYING TO FOOL PEOPLE, HANK.

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Vatican releases schedule for Pope's trip to Al... 3 hr Barbarian 5
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 5 hr Scales Off 8,199
If Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin dona t like th... (Nov '13) 13 hr Finish this sentence 894
Pope's Turkish tour a surprising success (Dec '06) 21 hr fener 20
Filipino Catholics hails new saints 23 hr INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 36
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... Wed psycho 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Tue ELIAS IBARRA 60
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••