Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 548,910
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#405996 Nov 30, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> The Holy Spirit 'guides' individuals who He indwells, NOT institutions. If as you believe, the POPE is the spiritual leader of the RCC. And(as you agreed) said POPE was a wicked unregenerate, unchristian man, where is the leadership? And to take it a step further, If (as you agreed) said POPE was a non-christian and therefore could not possibly be the 'VICAR OF CHRIST' what has become of APOSTLEIC SUCCESION? It of necessity CEASES.
The Holy Spirit guides the Church Christ founded (see Matt.16:18) The Holy Spirit also guides individuals. Individuals can fall away. The Church cannot (see Matt. 16:18)

And actually, I did not agree that a pope was "a wicked unregenerate, unchristian man" and "a non-christian". Essentially, I agreed that some popes were very sinful.

Please do me a favor and answer these questions; If a baptist preacher is having an adulterous affair with one of his congregants, does that mean the gospel he preaches on Sunday is not true? Is he not saved? Is he not a Christian?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#405997 Nov 30, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert...thank you for being so respectful....
You wrote:
When one is baptised in water, aren't sins washed away?
Yes, that is what baptism is for...plus, you receive a gift from God...the "gift" of the Holy Spirit aka the "indwelling" of the Holy Spirit...Acts 2:38...
You wrote:
That inludes, past, present, and future....How far into the past?
Until you know the difference between good and bad...right and wrong...or understand what sin is....SIN IS AN ACT COMMITTED BY THE INDIVIDUAL....
Deuteronomy 1:39
39 And the <<<little ones>>> that you said would be taken captive,~~~your children who do not yet know good from bad~~~—they will enter the land. I will give it to them and they will take possession of it.
If children are not old enough to decide against Christ, are they old enough to decide for Christ?
Can an infant/small child act on this with his heart?
Romans 10:9-10
9 If you declare with YOUR MOUTH,“Jesus is Lord,” and believe in YOUR heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For it is with YOUR heart that YOU believe and are justified, and it is with YOUR MOUTH that you profess YOUR faith and are saved.
It DOES NOT say "father's mouth, mother's mouth, godfather's mouth, godmother's mouth, grandfather's mouth, or grandmother's mouth....it says YOUR MOUTH.
You wrote:
What about original sin?
This is where you fall into false teachings as there is NO such thing as original sin...
We DO NOT INHERIT the SINS of our fathers...
Ezekiel 18:18-20
18 <<<<<But his father will die for his own sin,>>>>> because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people.
19 “Yet you ask,‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live.
20 ~~~~~The one who sins is the one who will die.~~~~~[[[[The child will NOT share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child.]]]]] <<<<<The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.>>>>>
You wrote:
When does one start to sin after they are born?
When they know the difference between good and bad, right and wrong, and they have been TAUGHT what SIN is.....
Robert...would you let your 12 or 13 year old child get married??.
Truth good friend

Thanks for your response....

My immediate reply is that which you quote, Romans 10:9

" That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Since it is God that knows the heart of an infant, and an infant is not able to confess..., as his knowledge and understanding are not yet developed, infant baptism is legitimate because of the heart....It is kind of a glass half full/half empty issue. And since God's Grace is more than sufficient for salvation, let God have the Glory....

Another way to put it, if one is brain damaged, so that knowledge of sin is eliminated, does that make them ineligible for salvation, again by God's Grace, and God knowing the heart? I think yes. To God be the Glory.

But that brings us to sin. And the sense of sin. I am really glad you brought this up. I am studying this at this time....I am finding the older I get, the more quickly I know something is a sin. And ifwhen I sin, the more quickly I seek penance.

But sin and the sense of sin is growing duller in our culture, and seems the world over....I might attribute it to the destructiveness of the last century(although we think of technology as advancement), all the wars and dedication to them the world over seems like it was on the rise....What do you think?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#405998 Nov 30, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Do you believe that one of these lost,unchristian people could be the 'VICAR of CHRIST'?"
We really have a language barrier here. Do you consider every person who sins a "lost, unchristian"? No, I believe a "lost, NON-Christian" could not be appointed the Vicar of Christ. But if you mean to imply that you know for certain that these men weren't Christians and that they did not repent before death and that everyone who is a "saved Christian" never sins, well, you've got quite the line of communication with God that no one else has.
There is a vast difference in one who has a momentary lapse of judgement and one whose whole lifestyle is evil and sinful. And one who has NEVER given any indication of a life changed by Christ. David backslid and missed the mark BUT David was a man after God's own heart. David did show a profound belief in God. Peter denied Christ and cursed, but Peter certainly was a believer and convert. The records of the lives of these POPES reveal no such evidence.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#405999 Nov 30, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you always turn nasty? That's not very Christian of you.
Not nasty, just sayin'........ Tell me YOUR STORY: about HIS GLORY. When were you first convicted of your need to be saved? When did you come to saving faith in Jesus? Have you had a life changing experience? Do you KNOW that if you died tonight, that you would go to heaven? What is the GOOD NEWS for Anthony?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#406000 Nov 30, 2012
preston wrote:
Philip went into Samaria to preach the Gospel there. While he was there, miracles and wonders occurred by his ministry, and demons were cast out of many people. As a result they were baptized.
Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
They supposedly already "received" the Holy Ghost.
Acts 8:14-16 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Here is what occurred after the two apostles arrived.
Acts 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
The above experience shows us that one does not "receive the Holy Ghost" automatically when one is baptized
Hey Preston,

If I may....

Philip could NOT impart the POWER of the Holy Spirit to others.

Acts 8:13

13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere,[[[[[astonished by the ~~~~~great signs and miracles~~~~~ HE SAW.]]]]]

Only the apostles had the ability to impart the POWER of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands.

Acts 8:14

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God,~~~~~they sent Peter and John to Samaria.~~~~~

The apostles sent Peter and John....

Why????

Only by the laying on of the apostles' hands was the POWER of the Holy Spirit given.

Preston, look at this verse carefully:

Acts 8:18

18 When Simon <<<SAW>>> that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money.

Now, do we see the ~miraculous powers~ being performed today???

NO!!!

WHY???

The ~~~miraculous powers~~~ CEASED to continue once those who had been given this POWER DIED as the POWER could not be passed on.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406001 Nov 30, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
And actually, I did not agree that a pope was "a wicked unregenerate, unchristian man" and "a non-christian". Essentially, I agreed that some popes were very sinful.
?
So do you believe that one can live a 'life' of sin and still be a christian? OSAS? I don't.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#406002 Nov 30, 2012
Full of Love wrote:
Please remember our family your prayrs.
My brother's son,Michael Paul is dying as I type.
He is only 43 yrs old.
My brother lost his wife and their chidren lost their mother this time last year.
Also,remember his mother's family.
I feel so sad for my brother.I know what it is to lose a child.
Thank you and God bless.
FOL,

I am so sorry that your family are going through this difficult time....

My prayers are with you and your family at this time for comfort and strength from our Lord.

Blessings!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406003 Nov 30, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> There is a vast difference in one who has a momentary lapse of judgement and one whose whole lifestyle is evil and sinful. And one who has NEVER given any indication of a life changed by Christ. David backslid and missed the mark BUT David was a man after God's own heart. David did show a profound belief in God. Peter denied Christ and cursed, but Peter certainly was a believer and convert. The records of the lives of these POPES reveal no such evidence.
Aside from the fact that all you know about the lives of these popes and the culture in which they lived comes from anti-Catholic sources, can you tell me at what point in a person's life that an act of true repentance would be too late for Christ's forgiveness?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406004 Nov 30, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I can say for certain that bearing false witness, or in this case intentionally lying about one's faith, is not indicative of a "saved Christian". Keeping working on it my friend.
Please correct me.

Location hidden

#406005 Nov 30, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
No, try again....
Why would you make a blanket statement about people you know nothing personally about and ONLY because they don't accept the belief of YOUR deity? Most I am sure live productive lives, follow the laws of the land, just like you, but just because they decided or their families decided that they had no belief in a higher power how does that make them fools?
MAYBE -- you wouldn't be filled with so much blind hatred -- if your belief system made sense.
Free Mind good friend

Oh alright.....I was writing to Michael, and he wasn't listening. So I didn't want to repeat myself for nothing....

My answer is this....I respect their decision. They have free-will to choose. Although I don't think they are well informed, and thus makes them foolish....Let me explain:

Consider it this way....What is more important?

If one must break the speed law in order to save a life, which is the wiser course of action?

If one must break civil law(being a "citizen") in order to save a life one concludes the priority is correct, while being informed.

But which is more important civil law, or religous law? In our case it is an "inalienable" right to have religion, therefore religion trumps civil law. And this again is a prioritized list.

So atheists deny not only God/religion, but they reject the civil law prioritizing religion....In other words they are uninformed or misinformed in their decision. This makes them foolish in their choices....
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406006 Nov 30, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Spirit guides the Church Christ founded (see Matt.16:18) The Holy Spirit also guides individuals. Individuals can fall away. The Church cannot (see Matt. 16:18)
?
There is NO reference here to the Holy Spirit at all. The Holy Spirit ONLY works in the hearts of christians. NOt in an institution. The Holy Spirit guides christians(individually), This is the church. The biblical definition of a church is a (called out assembly). What man is the 'leader of the RCC?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406007 Nov 30, 2012
Gotta run. Later.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#406008 Nov 30, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>NOw maybe some of you people will understand why I say that those who get saved receive the "spirit" of Christ instead of being Baptised or Filled with the Holy Ghost.
and people like marge doesnt know what she is talking about.there is a difference between receiving the "spirit" of Christ and being filled with the Holy Ghost
Preston,

Also, the Apostle Paul:

Acts 19:6

6 When Paul placed his hands on them,[[[the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.]]]
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406009 Nov 30, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Not nasty, just sayin'........ Tell me YOUR STORY: about HIS GLORY. When were you first convicted of your need to be saved? When did you come to saving faith in Jesus? Have you had a life changing experience? Do you KNOW that if you died tonight, that you would go to heaven? What is the GOOD NEWS for Anthony?
Yes, praise God, I have experienced all of these things by His grace through His Body, the Church. But I think your evangelical schtick is what St. James was talking about.
dr fill

Mount Prospect, IL

#406010 Nov 30, 2012
World around us wrote:
What is the percentage of priests who are abnormals and sex perverts?
I would venture to say that 50% of priest are child molesters.And 25% of the remaining 50% are homo's.And the pope is well aware of what goes on.So he should be in jail.

Location hidden

#406011 Nov 30, 2012
preston wrote:
Philip went into Samaria to preach the Gospel there. While he was there, miracles and wonders occurred by his ministry, and demons were cast out of many people. As a result they were baptized.
Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
They supposedly already "received" the Holy Ghost.
Acts 8:14-16 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Here is what occurred after the two apostles arrived.
Acts 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
The above experience shows us that one does not "receive the Holy Ghost" automatically when one is baptized
preston

lol. Don't get mad.....But that is very Catholic of you.(smile)

You do know in Catholicism Confirmation is a process(generally) in younger folks, and the laying on of hands by the priest(traced back to the apostles) more or less is a sign and seals the process of receiving the Holy Ghost.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#406012 Nov 30, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>You might want to add
Acts 10:44-48
King James Version (KJV)
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Have to understand your baptisms, 7th...

Acts 10:46-47

46 For they heard them ~~~speaking in tongues~~~ and praising God.

Then Peter said,

47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.[[[[[They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”]]]]] going back to Acts Chapter 2.....APOSTLES
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406013 Nov 30, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>So do you believe that one can live a 'life' of sin and still be a christian? OSAS? I don't.
Not unless they repent. Is there a point in time before the end of ones life where it becomes too late? What's the difference between a baptist preacher who has an adulterous affair for 2 weeks or two years if they both repent?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406014 Nov 30, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO reference here to the Holy Spirit at all. The Holy Spirit ONLY works in the hearts of christians. NOt in an institution. The Holy Spirit guides christians(individually), This is the church. The biblical definition of a church is a (called out assembly). What man is the 'leader of the RCC?
Thanks for your opinion.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#406015 Nov 30, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>I am in your debt however, as I am appreciating how much more progressive God is in dealing with "slavery" contrasted with other cultures at the time this verse(you like so much,lol)/law was given....
That statement moved you higher on the list! How stupid can you really be? You must be a poe.
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>Just a note, slavery as we perceive the word today is not the same as when this law was written.(I would explain further, but...,
since what I write means nothing to you. I will keep silent.)
Let's see:
1500BCE One person could own another.
1500CE One person could own another.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally sell his slave.
1500CE The master could legally sell his slave.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally own slave and pass that slave and the slaves offspring off to his heirs.
1500CE The master could legally own slave and pass that slave and the slaves offspring off to his heirs.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally kill his slave.
1500CE The master could legally kill his slave.
That is the same.

1500BCE The master could legally sell the slave's wife and child.
1500CE The master could legally sell the slave's wife and child.
That is the same.

I am not seeing the how the meaning of the word has changed. So the true reason of why you will not explain the difference, is because there is no difference. You are either a liar or an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pope to visit Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia in Turkey Tue Serkan Turkbayram 6
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Mr Sir 8,518
Pope Francis leaves the beatification ceremony ... Oct 20 Belle Sexton 11
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Oct 18 ELIAS IBARRA 6
Catholic bishops take first step toward accepta... Oct 16 Mychihuahuawillbite 2
Pope Francis shows strong, unique leadership fo... Oct 15 Gremlin 2
Gradualism and Holiness Oct 15 RevKen 1

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE