Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683876 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#405314 Nov 27, 2012
who="New Age Spiritual Leader"
Incorrect supposition.
We live in this world, because we were born and have not died.
Placing qualifiers on why you live, just shows how much Self is a Major part and role in it.
Learn it, live it, love it. It's the only one you have.
confrinting with the word wrote:
Incorrect supposition.
We live in this world, because we were born and have not died.
Placing qualifiers on why you live, just shows how much Self is a Major part and role in it.
Learn it, live it, love it. It's the only one you have.
Read more slowly.
We live(you agreed)
In a sin-sick world (much evil, sickness, etc.) TRUE
BECAUSE OF UN-BELIEF. True again. I've seen some wonderful times with little pain or sorrow when people were living clean...trusting God. I've also seen the pain and death when people shunned God.
KayMarie
Read more slowly.

One will only view the world as "in sin" - like you do, if they continue to dwell within what they speak of.

There are many parts of this world that has not the evils you expect or fear, so your analogy is again through your own eyes - Self.

BTW - I've also seen pain and death on those who shun Buddha.

Your point makes no sense - but only to you. Again, we have arrived at Self.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#405315 Nov 27, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>YOU DON"T KNOW? YOU the GREAT CATHOLIC SCHOLAR? Are you serious. Let me ask you another way. Is there ANY OTHER WAY TO GET TO HEAVEN b;ut by the BLOOD OF JESUS AND HIS SACRIFICE AT CALVERY? And do you think God would have require the sacrifice of His only Son if there was any other way??????????
Do you seriously think God requires nothing of you but for you to sit on your rear and cry you're saved? If you do, then you haven't read Matthew 25!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#405316 Nov 27, 2012
Can you imagine, a supreme being, the creator of all, requiring you, the created, to do anything for it?

Can you imagine this supreme being requiring you to preform rituals to please it?

How f'ing stupid are you?
What do you require of your child?
I require him to BE OBEDIENT. I TEACH him to love...
KayMarie
Can you imagine torturing your son, for eternity, for simply not believing in you?

Or for making a simple mistake and dying before he could ask for your forgiveness?

No, you would never torture your child for eternity for making any mistake! And you ain't a supreme being!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#405317 Nov 27, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
If you read the Ten Commandments , you will see that God wanted us to Love Him and our fellow man.
Not steal,
Not kill,
Not commit adultery.
etc.
They are all about our treatment of each other.
and to obey God's Commandments is to, Love Him with all our heart soul and might.
If we don't love our fellow man we can not love God.
Even with all our faults we are to love each other .
We are to forgive and show mercy to each other.
Help the weak and poor.
These are God's Commandment's given to Moses for all man kind.
Can you imagine torturing your son, for eternity, for simply not believing in you?

Or for making a simple mistake and dying before he could ask for your forgiveness?

No, you would never torture your child for eternity for making any mistake! And you ain't a supreme being!

Albuquerque, NM

#405318 Nov 27, 2012
...through a ritual of baptism you do.
Please stop trying to mislead others by not expressing the truths that exists.
You also do a ritual - to show "God"/Jesus that you are a follower.
There is no difference in what Catholicism does and what Fundamentalism does.
Face the fact that the only difference between the two is, you choose to be baptized, whereas in Catholicism, it is not the norm.
Either way, you still do what they do.
You are clueless...
KM
Not at all.

But I can't see your so-called "Christian love" in the last statement above.

Do you always tell others that they are clueless, and always thinking you are right.

Do you als tell them that you know the mind of "God" so they better be quiet about everything?

You are the clueless one - and more than likely, it is because you have listened to the nonsense of men, instead of Jesus.

Your old-school mentality has not been valid for quite some time.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#405319 Nov 27, 2012
Live Action wrote:
<quoted text>did you leave out the part where it says you will pay for the sins of your fore fathers.
Amen !!! While we will be accountable before Yahweh for our own sins. The sinful nature of our forefathers indeed is passed on through poverty, sickness and disease, culture, etc.

Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#405320 Nov 27, 2012
who="Anthony MN"
"In short...."
Stirring up trouble again aren't you Kay? No, Catholics don't believe we are saved by any rituals. If you were sincere and not just a disingenuous trouble maker you'd know this. But thanks anyway.
Is your name 'trouble'?
Yes, you do believe in rituals. If some priest doesn't baptize you, then confirm you, then absolve you...you are lost, for sure. I listen to all of you, and at no time have I found you to say that 'Jesus died for me, so I trust FULLY IN HIS SACRIFICE FOR ME'.
I appreciate the pastor who baptized me, and those who pray for me. I love all those who teach me. But JESUS alone is my savior. The others are just 'helpers' to encourage my faith.
KayMarie
Then you don't pay very close attention.
I've said it more than once.
Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Savior of the World. There is no other name, in the Heavens or on the Earth, by which we are to be saved. He died on the cross to save us from the consequence of our sins, and rose from the dead to bring us to everlasting life.
This is the Catholic faith.
You can pretend to be an authoritative teacher of the Catholic Faith.
Okay.
So granted.
Now, whenever you misrepresent Catholic Teaching, you will be held responsible for it.
You have presented yourself as an authoritative teacher mpre than once, refusing to defer to Catholics who insist that what you say we believe is not correct.
Never do you acknowledge that you do not really know, and that the question really ought to be addressed to a Catholic, or even better, a priest.
So you can have your claim, that you know better than Catholics and even priests what the Catholic faith teaches.
Were I you, I'd think very carefully about what you have done, but I am pretty sure you never will. Your hatred for Catholics and the Catholic Church is simply too strong for you to ever say something so simple as "I don't teally know that."
Good luck.
You'll need it.
Rob

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#405321 Nov 27, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
If you read the Ten Commandments , you will see that God wanted us to Love Him and our fellow man.
Not steal,
Not kill,
Not commit adultery.
etc.
They are all about our treatment of each other.
and to obey God's Commandments is to, Love Him with all our heart soul and might.
If we don't love our fellow man we can not love God.
Even with all our faults we are to love each other .
We are to forgive and show mercy to each other.
Help the weak and poor.
These are God's Commandment's given to Moses for all man kind.
You obviously haven't read the 10 commandments and you certainly do not go out of your way to follow them.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#405322 Nov 27, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Can you imagine, a supreme being, the creator of all, requiring you, the created, to do anything for it?
Can you imagine this supreme being requiring you to preform rituals to please it?
How f'ing stupid are you?
What do you require of your child?
<quoted text>
It doesn't really matter what you think. You are but a small speck in the universe and you are not God. God has spoken quite often of eternal punishment. If you don't like to hear that, that's tough.
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#405324 Nov 27, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you listed these Sacraments in the wrong order, what comes after the "strengthening", if Confirmation is the third stage?
per your interpretation:
Baptism = beginning a new life [i.e. "born again"]
Eucharist = the nourishing
Confirmation = the strengthening
And then what?
He did not list them in the wrong order.
Baptism.
Confirmation.
Eucharist.
That would be the normal order for any adult who becomes a Catholic, and the normal order in the Eastern Rite and Orthodox Churches.
Rob

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#405325 Nov 27, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Had I a child, would I require anything or any action so that I would LOVE him or her?
No. Absolutely not.
Would I require anything of him or her, some conformity to what I believe is right, in order to grant my child an inheritance?
Yes.
If my children rejected what I taught them and told me they would not live according to the way I raised them, or tried to, would I still have love for them?
Yes.
But I would probably leave any money I might have to a shelter for the poor, or for pregnant woman, and NOT to my children, who rejected what I taught and instructed.
There is a difference between loving someone and granting them an inheritance.
A *big* difference.
Rob
You are comparing a bit of money to an eternity of torture in hell?

A *big* F'ing difference!

Albuquerque, NM

#405326 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you asked what sacrament came after Confirmation?
Sorry man, I wasn't diverting anything.
Say, you say we should be following Jesus and not men.
But I can't seem to find anywhere, where Christ wrote anything down? If you have some of His writings, that would be of huge value.
Let's recap, okay - to get you back on track.

My post was to Anthony, who listed those three sacraments - in a false order, but nonetheless - still listed them.

Hi implication was that baptism is the beginning and the Eurcharist was the end, while Confirmation with the "strengthening" {of one's Spirit - my emphasis}.

I basically responded to him, inquiring, if Baptism is the beginning and Confirmation only "stregthens" the Spirit [toward salvation], then what comes next.

You in turn, responded by stating the next two sacraments - Marriage and Holy Orders - both of which are optional to many individuals in the RCC, because they may or may not apply to one.

You basically 'diverted' from answering my post while staying on this discussion.

Like I said, neither of those sacraments reflect upon one's salvation.

In essence, confirming your baptism is the last step a person can take throuogh the RCC, whereas any future "action" to keep said "salvation" intact, requires nothing from noone, except the person who is performing the actions to achieve "salvation".

But like all so-called "Christians", you have to believe what other men tell you is true, in order to formulate a belief. This is where we are now.

Tony thinks rituals will save him.
KM thinks she never participated in a ritual, when in truth, she actually did, realized her error, and decided to call me names instead of admitting she was wrong. Arrogance will be her downfall.

Are you back on track?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#405327 Nov 27, 2012
DayStorm wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't really matter what you think. You are but a small speck in the universe and you are not God. God has spoken quite often of eternal punishment. If you don't like to hear that, that's tough.
Yes, it does matter what I think. Since I can think, I require some proof and some logic. Your religion fails to have any.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#405328 Nov 27, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL?
Why?
Do you believe it likely the Good Thief was baptized? To me, it seems rather unlikely ...
I'd come more to believeing Christ's own baptism counted for the remorseful and repentative thief than I would anything else presented thus far.

He got caught and was crusified so he must not been to Good at thieving either.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#405329 Nov 27, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you may have a point here LTM. If a person in their final moments realizes that all the times they had the opportunity to be baptized but rejected it, and still were able to beg Jesus for forgiveness in NOT getting baptized, I think He would forgive them. If their hearts remained hardened and still said it wasn't necessary, I don't think so.
huh, if Jesus forgive them why would they think it necessary?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#405330 Nov 27, 2012
THEY MISSED HIM!

They were looking for A Lion,
He came as a Lamb, and they missed him.

They were looking for a Warrior,
He came as a Peace maker, and they missed him.

They were looking for a King,
He came as a Servant, and they missed him.

They were looking for Liberation from Rome,
He submitted to the Roman cross, and they missed him.

They were looking for a fit to their mold,
He was the mold maker, and they missed him.

What are you looking for? Lion? Warrior?
King? Liberator? What are you looking for?

They were looking for their temporal needs to be met.
He came to meet their eternal needs, and they missed him.

He came as a Lamb to be sacrificed for your sin. Will you miss him?
He came to make peace between God and man. Will you miss him?
He came to model servanthood for all mankind. Will you miss him?
He came that we might have true Liberty. Will you miss him?
He came to give you eternal life. Will you miss him?

When we submit to the Lamb we will meet the Lion.

Join with the Peacemaker and we will meet the Warrior.

Work with the Servant and we will meet the King.

Walk with the Submitted and we will meet the Liberator.

Concern ourselves with the eternal and we will have the temporal.

If Jesus is not fitting into the mold you have,
then come to the mold maker and get His new one.

Submit to His plan for your life and you will see the eternal need met first,
then all the other things you have need of will be taken care of as well.

Author unknown

KayMarie
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#405331 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wasn't said person Baptized? Did they read the gospels and determined for themselves what Christ requires?
There are lots of variables to how people come to know Christ. All Catholics are saying is that God is the ultimate judge. And He will determine if a person gets saved. From scripture, we can see the significance of water baptism.
Water itself is pure; gives life to humans and is a necessary ingredient for all life.
I don't get the impression from the gospels that water is just a cute symbol they used to Baptize.
Even more than a symbol of washing and cleansing, it is a symbol of death ... drowning, The Flood..
It is for this reason that immersion is the more expressive form of the sacrament.
Rob
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#405332 Nov 27, 2012
4GVN wrote:
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, pretty snide, don't you think.
A "Rite of Christian Initiation" is what is done to prepare someone for becoming Christian.
In the primitive Church, the was on occasion concern about baptizing those not truly readyto live the faith, as they would often backslide, especially in the conversion of idolators.
A long period of instruction was the early Church solution ... a 40 day retreat, with prayer, fasting, and instruction, culminating in baptism, confirmation (an anointing with oil as a "sealing of baptism") and Holy Communion, all on the vigil of the "anniversary" of the Lord's Resurrection).
The season of Lent is the legacy of this practice. We still baptize, confirm, and admit to Holy Communion converts on this night (ideally, concluding just as the sun is rising, so the converts come from darkness of sin "into the Light" of Christ.
Before someone gets their nose outta joint, people who "convert" from another Christian faith are NOT, strictly speaking, "converts," although it is common (through laziness) to call them by that name.
The "Rites of Christian Initiation" are thus baptism, confirmation, and Eucharist.
For other Christiam gropus, they would probably be called (water) baptism, baptism of the Holy Spirit, and the Lord's Supper.
And answering your other post, I'm gonna have to go find it. I want to be especially careful how I answer.
Rob
Let me help you out. You will find it on Page 19380 in post #402221
I've already addressed this 2 or 3 times. I've no idea why you keep reposting it, but I don't see much point in typing in what I have already addressed.
Rob

Albuquerque, NM

#405333 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Say, you say we should be following Jesus and not men.
But I can't seem to find anywhere, where Christ wrote anything down? If you have some of His writings, that would be of huge value.
Correct - Jesus never wrote anything down, and we've gone over this before.

It really is redundant to do it again, huh?

I think we all agree, men wrote the Bible, not Jesus.

But what we all do not agree upon, is that "baptism saves."

Baptism should probably be used as a symbol of a new start, further strengthening oneself if their belief. Making it a step to salvation is fine and all, but that should not be the end of the line with baptism.

Many places of antiquity used bathing as a sign of cleansing and a new start. Its importance to them also showed how a person can be renewed with that sense of a new start, giving the person a sense of belonging is just one aspect.

IMO - one need not be immersed in water to uphold a belief in Jesus, if they know in their heart that he will help them in their life through meditating upon his teachings. In other words, "strengthening oneself through Jesus".

All-in-all - the mind does the immersing and baptizing.

"nothing created [human body] can enter the kingdom of God" - compare John 3:3
- In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
- "born again" in this case is a perception change that occurs within a person - "believing in Jesus".
+ not just a portion of Jesus, as Christianity promotes.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#405334 Nov 27, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Your a child of God?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'That's all he wanted': Spicer, a devout Cathol... Jul 22 seemoregood 1
News The pope praised him for providing for his pare... Jul 19 Laredo 3
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Jul 19 Dhimmi Democrat 33
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 18 Married in 10,571
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Jul 16 True Christian wi... 77
News Editorial: The Vatican's Failure in the Abuse S... Jul 13 seemoregood 1
News In Defense of Free Speech in the United States (May '15) Jul 11 Muslim lives don_... 6
More from around the web