Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,442
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#404620 Nov 24, 2012
StarC wrote:
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church IS alway in agreement with Scripture!!
Read it slowly so you can understant...
Both Paul and Jesus have said.....
Jesus much prefers that priest do not marry. He made this quite
clear when He praised the Apostles for giving up "all" to follow
Him, saying, "And every one that hath left house, or brethren, or
sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands for
name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall possess life
everlasting." (Matt. 19:27-29).
And St Paul says …: "He that is
without a wife, is solicitous for the things that belong to the
Lord, how he may please God. But he that is with a wife, is
for the things of the world, how he may please his wife: and he
is divided." [1 Cor. 7:32-33]
"In other words, matrimony is good – Christ made it one of the holy sacraments of His Church – but it is not conducive to that complete dedication which is incumbent upon those who submit themselves to another of Christ's holy sacraments – that of Holy Orders. Even so, the unmarried state of the Catholic priesthood is not an inflexible law – under certain conditions a priest may be dispensed from this law."
Can't be any more clear.
4 replied....
<quoted text>
Read carefully, slowly and maybe 30 or more times.[lol]..
BOTH ARE BIBLICAL!!!!!
AS stated above.
So the RCC is biblical when it allows the priests to marry, and it is biblical when it restricts the priests from marrying. Wellll, I guess that makes as much sense as any of the rest of your posts.(rolling eyes, raising left eyebrow, and wondering what in the world is wrong with you).
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#404621 Nov 24, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
We sacked Constantinople and later Pope John Paul II publicly apologized to the Orthodox.
Basically, Pope John Paul II took the high road and bit his tongue.
Because the Orthodox did horrible things to Catholics prompting the sacking.
Am I right? Im not an actual historian, but i feel i read enough books to get a birds eye view of that time period.
I welcome any correction or info..
This would be a good start. I would encourage you to read it and bookmark the page to study the many great articles accompanying it on the side.

The Sack of 1204, what happened?
By Mark Bonocore

I've recently been reading a book by John J. Robinson called "Dungeon, Fire, and Sword --a history of the Crusades". Robinson is clearly no friend of the Roman Catholic Church, and I will even go so far as to say that he is anti-Catholic in his point of view, but he does give an interesting account of the Crusader's sack on Constantinople in 1204. I thought I'd share this with you, so that we might explore the history. This is why I'm using "anti-Catholic Robinson" as the source. While I am certainly not defending the atrocities committed, I think many will find it enlightening that the sack of Constantinople was not a "diabolical plan" sponsored by the papacy. It was a very sad story all around.

http://www.catholicbridge.com/catholic/orthod...
Fr Robert Dye

Muskogee, OK

#404622 Nov 24, 2012
StarC wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving, All!
"The Church of ALL people have six new Cardinals, from America, Lebanon, India, Nigeria, Columbia, Philippines…
“Vatican Radio) Pope Benedict XVI created six new Cardinals on Saturday in an Ordinary Public Consistory for the purpose here at the Vatican. The six new “Princes of the Church” are: Archbishop James M. Harvey, Prefect of the Papal Household; His Beatitude, Bechara Boutros Raï, Maronite Patriarch of Antioch in Lebanon; His Beatitude, Baselios Cleemis Thottunkal, Major Archbishop of Trivandrum in India and head of the Syro-Malankara Church; Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan of Abuja, Nigeria; Archbishop Ruben Salazar Gomez of Bogotá, Colombia; and Archbishop Luis Antonio Tagle of Manila in the Philippines. The Cardinals are the “Clergy of Rome”. They are responsible for electing the Bishop of Rome, who is the Pope: the Successor to St. Peter, and Vicar of Christ on Earth – the universal Pastor of the universal Church. Pope Benedict XVI took the universality of the Church as the theme of his allocution to the participants in the Consistory, focusing the meaning of the word,“Catholic”–“A word,” he said,“which indicates an essential feature of the Church and her mission.” Below, please find the full text of the Holy Father's allocution“
“I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church”
http://en.radiovaticana.va/articolo.asp...
The thing I found most interesting is that two of the new Cardinals of the Catholc Church are not Roman ... they are from other rites.
Rob
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#404623 Nov 24, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Your post here is down right offensive,and because you really believe that I rely on Protestant propaganda to make a n opinion about the RCC.I was raised a Roman Catholic,lived amongst hundreds of RCs of cultural and thnic baskgrounds which included:Italian,Polish,Slovak ,and Ukrainian Catholics.Oh I forgot the biggest group the I R I S H. So treating me as though I have been brainwashed or completely influenced by Prots is wrong and offensive.
I know just as much about the history of the RCC as you do,and was raised in a strong Catholic family who were very strong in keeping Catholic beliefs close to them.
You are the one who has no clue!
Agree, and it shows.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#404624 Nov 24, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Every religious belief in the history of mankind had martyrs.
The Muslims that flew the planes into the WTC martyred themselves.
Put your own head on the chopping block if you are that strong a believer? I dare you.
If anyone today in america claimed they were dieing for some religious belief whether setting themselves on fire or some other form of death, I would believe everyone would say......they are crazy.
What say you?
For the Muslims who die along with the bombs or whatever they use in the killing of others,to be seen as martyrs, really only Muslims could truly view them as such.

It is a mindset built with a cultural,political and economically driven vision of conquest!Islam has a long history of conquering other nations and implementing Muhammad's way to Allah.Muslims believe in reliving history,they are not satisfied to let things of the past to rest and most likely be forgotten.It is something that Christians and Jews might have flawed in,forgetting the past to remind their future generations.

Michael,the Muslims know how to even take their sins and use them to glorify the Caliphates of the past,and to endear them to the children.That could be also in that ARABS,Persians and other eastern and middle eastern groups know how to pass on the legacies of the conquests of the past to their offspring.

For many reasons the Middle Eastern and those who embraced Islam in various countries,have been wise to make sure that every generation knows without a doubt when and why Islam was victorious.Many of our youth have no clue as to what makes Judaism and Christianity solid pillars of truth in God.and that is due to the lack of reminding and teaching our offspring.It is important that our youth know history,as well as their religious affiliation.

Islam has not failed in this way that is why fanaticism is part of the makeup in Muhammad's followers for centuries,and to this day,strong and resilient.No matter how much we despise the fact that many Muslims are ardant followers of that Prophet,and are willing to kill both others and themselves for him,it is because they know how to include each generation into their mindset.Christians and Jews clearly have failed in making sure that our offspring know why our faith is so important to us.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#404625 Nov 24, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing I found most interesting is that two of the new Cardinals of the Catholc Church are not Roman ... they are from other rites.
Rob
Could it be possible that the next Pope may not be Roman Catholic? Interesting thought..
Pad

Rockford, IL

#404626 Nov 24, 2012
Dust Storm wrote:
Deut. 19:18-19
18 The judges must make a thorough investigation, and if the witness proves to be a liar, giving false testimony against a fellow Israelite, 19 then do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. You must purge the evil from among you.
Inquisition
WHAT happen to grace,and Christ? I thought the RCC at the time of the Inquisition believed they represented the Christ of Calvary? Jesus needed help as so many were becoming heretics,so the RCC had to set up the inquisitorial court system to corner heretics and eliminate them? Whatever the question that rose in the minds of those people back than,and the many popes who supported it over a 6 century period, the inquisition was the most tragic series of events against humanity that ever existed in the hands of a Religious institution such as the RCC who implemented it.

There is no excuse for believers to ever distort the Word of God,especially the New Testament in order to murder,steal,and plunder other human beings.I could see if the RCC only for a short time used the Inquisition,and a few bad popes clouded the picture,but 6 centuries? The blood of many martyrs of various faiths are on the hands of the RCC,and Pope John Paul 2nd's many trips to apologize to countless numbers for the sins of the RCC and often on the issue of the Inquisition,brings afresh the sordid history of that church.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#404627 Nov 24, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>WHAT happen to grace,and Christ? I thought the RCC at the time of the Inquisition believed they represented the Christ of Calvary? Jesus needed help as so many were becoming heretics,so the RCC had to set up the inquisitorial court system to corner heretics and eliminate them? Whatever the question that rose in the minds of those people back than,and the many popes who supported it over a 6 century period, the inquisition was the most tragic series of events against humanity that ever existed in the hands of a Religious institution such as the RCC who implemented it.
There is no excuse for believers to ever distort the Word of God,especially the New Testament in order to murder,steal,and plunder other human beings.I could see if the RCC only for a short time used the Inquisition,and a few bad popes clouded the picture,but 6 centuries? The blood of many martyrs of various faiths are on the hands of the RCC,and Pope John Paul 2nd's many trips to apologize to countless numbers for the sins of the RCC and often on the issue of the Inquisition,brings afresh the sordid history of that church.
Protestants like to leave out the mass killings committed by them against Catholics.
catholicapologetics.info/apolo getics/protestantism/protin.ht m

In N. Ireland there is a large rock with blood all over it. People still go there today to pay their respects to the Catholics who were slaughtered there while celebrating mass. They were using the rock as an alter.
Protestants only get one side of history told to them.. unfortunately, the teachers are bigots who wish to put the Catholic Church in a bad light.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#404628 Nov 24, 2012
Dust Storm wrote:
Deut. 19:18-19
18 The judges must make a thorough investigation, and if the witness proves to be a liar, giving false testimony against a fellow Israelite, 19 then do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. You must purge the evil from among you.
Inquisition
Are you that desperate to try to justify your evil church history?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#404629 Nov 24, 2012
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#404630 Nov 24, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Are you that desperate to try to justify your evil church history?
The Inquisition itself wasn't evil. It was noble and legit...so were the Crusades.
Protestants have been fed a huge BS sandwich for centuries, and they took a bite out of it.
Bigotry took precedent over truth.
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#404631 Nov 24, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>WHAT happen to grace,and Christ? I thought the RCC at the time of the Inquisition believed they represented the Christ of Calvary? Jesus needed help as so many were becoming heretics,so the RCC had to set up the inquisitorial court system to corner heretics and eliminate them? Whatever the question that rose in the minds of those people back than,and the many popes who supported it over a 6 century period, the inquisition was the most tragic series of events against humanity that ever existed in the hands of a Religious institution such as the RCC who implemented it.
It is so easy to play Monday morning quarterback isnt it? You will always fail to understand the time. You fail to see that mobs and witch hunts and anarchy was happening. You fail to see that Protestants were indoctrinating children into false teachings and seen as murderers of souls. You fail to see that they were causing uprising against the state and in fact were murdering members of the church. In fact since the church and state were intertwined they were seen as treasonous.

You live in a world of Rose colored glasses where you think the reformers were all lovey. I suggest you take a good hard look at the History of Protestants. I know Protestants had no hand whatsoever in what happened to Native Americans, slavery and of course Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, King Henry they were all flawless and that proves that Protestantism is the real church? Utter nonsense! You rail against Muslims, well Pad the Christian thing to do would be to just roll over right?

Princes, Kings, Emperors, Royal families were meddling in the affairs constantly and vying for power. You know when Christians were finally not being hunted they became the hunters. They could not tear down the pagan temples and burn the people within them fast enough. Protestants love to point at the church for the persecution of Jews forgetting your own bloody hands. Furthermore you ignore the fact that the Jews were protected quite often by the Church its a matter of Papal Bull.

No I dont think the Church owes any apologies for the inquisitions. It was a calm, reasoned approach which prevented far more bloodshed than would have otherwise occured. People begged to be given over for questioning to the church which was far more just then secular courts or mob lynchings. You dont want to see any facts you would rather bathe in myths and attack things you know nothing about with a log in your eye. Most Evangelical protesants in polls recently were very much in support of use of torture when the use of it was brought into question recently. How is that Pad? Because all Evangelical fundies like you who pick and choose your religion are so much more enlightened? Buy a clue.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#404632 Nov 24, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Your post here is down right offensive,and because you really believe that I rely on Protestant propaganda to make a n opinion about the RCC.I was raised a Roman Catholic,lived amongst hundreds of RCs of cultural and thnic baskgrounds which included:Italian,Polish,Slovak ,and Ukrainian Catholics.Oh I forgot the biggest group the I R I S H. So treating me as though I have been brainwashed or completely influenced by Prots is wrong and offensive.
I know just as much about the history of the RCC as you do,and was raised in a strong Catholic family who were very strong in keeping Catholic beliefs close to them.
You are the one who has no clue!
If you "really" knew (anything) about TRUE APOSTOLIC CHURCH HISTORY with regards to Our Lords one Catholic Church, as well as the true interpretation of the bible by the Early Church Fathers in 397AD, you would "still" remain a Catholic.-----or is it that attacking and ripping Jesus Christs One True Church is just part of your bible only Protestant aversion, hostility and vengance!!!
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#404633 Nov 24, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmmmm ...
I would agree with you ... in part ...
But ultimately, the most important aspect is goingbto be a new relationship with God thru Jesus ... a matter of being "reborn."
This part in particular really cannot take place until the age of reason.
While it is true that we as Catholics practice infant baptism, I seriously doubt it it truly ne essary for anyone who has not attained the age of reason.
Rob
4GVN responds : So Rob, if I undersstand your post correctly, you are saying that you don't believe that a person is "reborn" or as we would say "born again" or "Born from on high", when they are baptized as infants. Is that correct?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#404634 Nov 24, 2012
Preston, you said you would leave topix for ever if we could show where you lied. Well here it is. You called Rob a drunk. But Rob is not a drunk. In fact he hasn't been a drunk for many years. You are a liar and a FALSE accuser. Now get off of topix or everyone will see you for what you are. A mean, sick accuser of all believers and a LIAR! Bye- bye Preston.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#404635 Nov 24, 2012
From 1649 - 1652. One third of the Irish Catholic population was destroyed by the Protestants who wished to wipe out the Catholic faith in Ireland.
Priests were rounded up and murdered. Their bellys slit open as they hung from trees. Peasants were starved to death and woman and children were rounded up and sold into slavery.

Guest, next time you blurt out crusades crusades crusades inquisition inquistion....I hope you realize you haven't a clue on actual history.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#404636 Nov 24, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmmmm ...
While it is true that we as Catholics practice infant baptism, I seriously doubt it it truly ne essary for anyone who has not attained the age of reason.
Rob
Rob
Agree. But what do all of the catholics on here say to this statement??? The silence is deafening.
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#404637 Nov 24, 2012
Bible verse of the Day
For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

Mark 11:23 (KJV)

Sunday, November 25, 2012
This Evening's Meditation
C. H. Spurgeon

----------

"For He saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."—Romans 9:15.
N these words the Lord in the plainest manner claims the right to give or to withhold His mercy according to His own sovereign will. As the prerogative of life and death is vested in the monarch, so the Judge of all the earth has a right to spare or condemn the guilty, as may seem best in His sight. Men by their sins have forfeited all claim upon God; they deserve to perish for their sins—and if they all do so, they have no ground for complaint. If the Lord steps in to save any, He may do so if the ends of justice are not thwarted; but if He judges it best to leave the condemned to suffer the righteous sentence, none may arraign Him at their bar. Foolish and impudent are all those discourses about the rights of men to be all placed on the same footing; ignorant, if not worse, are those contentions against discriminating grace, which are but the rebellions of proud human nature against the crown and sceptre of Jehovah. When we are brought to see our own utter ruin and ill desert, and the justice of the divine verdict against sin, we no longer cavil at the truth that the Lord is not bound to save us; we do not murmur if He chooses to save others, as though He were doing us an injury, but feel that if He deigns to look upon us, it will be His own free act of undeserved goodness, for which we shall for ever bless His name.
How shall those who are the subjects of divine election sufficiently adore the grace of God? They have no room for boasting, for sovereignty most effectually excludes it. The Lord's will alone is glorified, and the very notion of human merit is cast out to everlasting contempt. There is no more humbling doctrine in Scripture than that of election, none more promotive of gratitude, and, consequently, none more sanctifying. Believers should not be afraid of it, but adoringly rejoice in it.

www.Christ.com

Wisdom from Oswald Chambers
We are apt to think that everything that happens to us is to be turned into useful teaching; it is to be turned into something better than teaching, viz. into character. We shall find that the spheres God brings us into are not meant to teach us something but to make us something. The Love of God—The Ministry of the Unnoticed
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#404638 Nov 24, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmmmm ...
Which strikes me as absurd. I'll grant, I don't know of any god to compare God to, but it seems to me that, if God is truly Good, He would not condemn unbaptised infants.
Jesus DID say it was necessary, but He also seems to make exceptions, such as the Good Thief.
Rob
Rob
Rob, have you truely considered the possibility that Jesus 'does not make exceptions' but perhaps there is a flaw in the understanding of what the 'GOSPEL' truely is and what part if any, baptism has in ones salvation. And perhaps there is a misunderstanding of what 'born of water' truely means. Is it possible that it is not in referance to water baptism at all?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#404639 Nov 24, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Agree. But what do all of the catholics on here say to this statement??? The silence is deafening.
Goodness 4gvn, he posted that 3 days ago and you keep re-posting it as if you're having a current conversation about it.
If Fr. Dye is on the same page with Rome (and I know he is) than its all good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Gee-Tee 8,721
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence 13 hr QUITTNER Dec 26 2014 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Dec 23 USA Born 83,901
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Dec 23 woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web