Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 19,474)

Showing posts 389,461 - 389,480 of513,520
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Fr Robert Dye

Muskogee, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
As to animals in the Nativity scene, though they are not specifically mentioned, WOULD NATURALLY BE IN A STABLE.
One sideline Protestant group is protesting Christmas,too, by saying that He was not born in a stable.
They say that the word "inn" means 'guest room', so Jesus was born in the 'guest room'.
One only has to read more carefully to see that "there was NO ROOM in the INN (guest room)".
There is a war on against Christianity, and Christmas in particular.(An old pagan holiday???)
KayMarie
And of course, Jesus being placed in a manger (feedbox) has NO special symbolism whatever...
Rob

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your wife is back on stirring up trouble again by shaking her finger at the pope.
I guess neither you nor Kay know scripture half as good as you think you do. Maybe you could provide the book, chapter and verse where the angels are "singing" at Jesus's birth?
The Bible says....

Luk 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and -->saying,<--

Luk 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

definition of the word -->saying<-- as us in Luke 2:13...

&#955;&#949;&#769; &#947;&#969;
lego&#772;
leg'-o
A primary verb; properly to “lay” forth, that is,(figuratively) relate (in words [usually of systematic or set discourse; whereas G2036 and G5346 generally refer to an individual expression or speech respectively; while G4483 is properly to break silence merely, and G2980 means an extended or random harangue]); by implication to mean:- ask, bid, boast, call, describe, give out, name, put forth, say (-ing, on), shew, speak, tell, utter.

What ever the angels were doing they were praising God,,,

It seems ironic that you and your pope would be so concerned about whether the angels sang or didn't sing at the birth of Jesus

Ye he has no compunctions about lying concerning Matt 16: 17-19

Nothing that your Church claims about the pope and papal succession is written there.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you think it is flawed in the eyes of what you defend on a daily basis AnthonyMN.The truth of the matter is,that the RCC has saw fit to believe that God abhors idols made for worship of an unknown deity,and we agree with them on that,but God abhors any graven image especially made for the worship of Himself as well,in regards to His Son.Oh it's okay to have images as long as they are of Jesus? Well I wonder when the images of Jesus first began to circulate in the early centuries of the Christian movement? No doubt the Jews would have even more reason to hate us,because we violated the First commandment.
The Jews have every right to call statues of Jesus Idols,one because we claim Jesus is God,and two because no graven image should be made to worship gods and of course God himself.
How is the Incarnation flawed? Well AnthonyMN, I know that the Catholics no matter who they are have no real defense for the production and use of statues that misrepresent the PERSON of God in Christ Jesus.It is a thorn in the flesh of your belief system that continues to seaparate the Body of Christ till Jesus returns,what else is new? Many Catholics would be hopelessly distraught without the presence of statues in their churches for an atmosphere of worship.Thanksgiving is over,we already celebrated that day which is a national holiday,thank you!
Ok. Once and for all Pad. I'm Catholic, I DO NOT Idolize saints. I DO NOT worship statues. I DO NOT worship Mary.

Are you still accusing me of doing it?

If so, may God have mercy on you.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course, Jesus being placed in a manger (feedbox) has NO special symbolism whatever...
Rob
The New Covenant?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Dustorm:
That would be a fair statement, but since I have not seen the exact quote forgive me for not trusting secular and protestant tabloids as we have seen them so accurate so often in here. ROTFL

I love it..."...as we have seen them SO ACCURATE so often in here." :)

I know it was a typo...but it's cute anyway.

KayMarie
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Live Action wrote:
<quoted text>First of all i am not a christain that is like a insult to me for most Christians are the ones who love war adultery and sin all week and then ask forgiveness on sunday.
What about your sin and guilt LA?
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>Ever heard the phrase it's Not Over Til the Paper Works Done.
LOL You are Clueless.
I'll make you a deal. You show me why I should not be Catholic and if it checks out, I will leave.

Easy right?

I will warn you, that I will research whatever you tell me. I been down this road with lots of different Protestant sects..I was looking for a new 'church' once before. They didn't check out. Basically, I caught them lying about Catholicism. It seems they can't exist without being deceitful. I never ever heard the Catholic Church lie about them.. nuff said.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. Once and for all Pad. I'm Catholic, I DO NOT Idolize saints. I DO NOT worship statues. I DO NOT worship Mary.
Are you still accusing me of doing it?
If so, may God have mercy on you.
Making a image of a saint IS Idolizing it.
ReginaM

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
The New Covenant?
The Bread of Life.
4GVN

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch! The unlearned and unstable is showing in you over and over. You would make a good atheist taking things you dont understand and saying they contradict.
"Jesus stayed in the realm of the dead PARTS of three twenty-four-hour periods, not three whole days and nights. But the reference to three days and three nights comes out of Jonah 2:1 [1:17] rather than from the story of Jesus and causes no problem in view of the Jewish method of reckoning PART of a twenty-four-hour day for the WHOLE (see Gen 42:17-18; 1 Sam 30:1,12-13; 2 Chron 10:5,12; Esth 4:16-5:1; and rabbinic references in TDNT 2:949-950). Here is the only reference to his death and resurrection that Jesus made in the hearing of Jewish leaders. The chief priests and Pharisees will allude to it in recalling that he said he would rise 'AFTER three days'(27:63)....The reason is that Matthew's Jesus spoke to the Jewish leaders about staying in the realm of the dead three days and three nights. But Jesus rose ON the third day. Though the peculiarity of the Jews' method of reckoning time eliminates a necessary contradiction, Matthew suits the two different ways of phrasing the matter to the audience of Pharisees on the one hand (27:63 with 12:40) and to the historical event on the other hand (16:21; 17:23; 20:19)[which read 'ON the third day']." (Robert H. Gundry, MATTHEW: A Commentary on His Handbook for a Mixed Church under Persecution [Eerdmans, 1994], p 244-245)
Now for the scholarly Theological Dictionary of the New Testament referred to above as TDNT, edited by Gerhard Kittel, under "DAY" :
"The difficulty has often been advanced that there is a discrepancy between the ['on the third day'] of Matthew, Luke, and Paul and the usual ['after three days'] of Mark. But in this connection it has to be remembered that difficulties always arise in the reckoning of days according to Jewish usage. Thus
'in Halachic statements PART of a day is reckoned as a WHOLE day'
[Footnote has rabbinic source Str-B I,649 and the original Hebrew 'part of a day counts as a whole day' e.g. bNazir 5b; Pes 4,2]
"and already in the first century A.D. we read:'A day and a night constitute a -onah-([Hebrew for] a full day), and part of a -onah- counts as a whole -onah-'(jShab 12a,15,17)
"IT IS IN THIS LIGHT THAT WE ARE TO UNDERSTAND MATTHEW 12:40...Thus the Marcan narrative ['after three days'] means that Friday and the night up to the resurrection are each counted as a day, while Matthew, Luke and Paul...use a mode of expression ['on the third day'] which would be regarded as more correct by Greeks. Both forms are found in close proximity in Matthew 27:63f..." (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament [TDNT], vol 2, p 949f)
[Footnote 30 also refers to Josephus "inclusive" reckoning of days and references are given: Antiquities 7:280f; 8:214/218; 5:17]
The exact same point is made by Evangelical Protestants Kenneth Barker (Hebrew scholar and general editor of the NIV), and John Kohlenberger in the NIV Bible Commentary (Volume II: NT, Zondervan, 1994) that Jewish tradition says that an -onah- is a day and a night and that PART of an -onah- is considered as the WHOLE. They also state the "Wednesday crucifixion" idea is incompatible with "ON the third day" as I pointed out above (see Barker commentary on Mt 12:40, page 63).
This pretty well seals the case that "three days and three nights" (Matthew 12:40) should be understood "inclusively" as PARTS of three days as the Jews reckoned time, and we should not force the text into meaning "exactly 72 hours" or anything else that is unsupportable by any evidence. For more OT examples of "inclusive reckoning" :
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num56.htm much more here! The truth shall set you free!
Silly me. I just thought it 'might' be a good idea to take Jesus at his word. But of course, only if He agrees with the RCC. "and professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you think it is flawed in the eyes of what you defend on a daily basis AnthonyMN.The truth of the matter is,that the RCC has saw fit to believe that God abhors idols made for worship of an unknown deity,and we agree with them on that,but God abhors any graven image especially made for the worship of Himself as well,in regards to His Son.Oh it's okay to have images as long as they are of Jesus? Well I wonder when the images of Jesus first began to circulate in the early centuries of the Christian movement? No doubt the Jews would have even more reason to hate us,because we violated the First commandment.
The Jews have every right to call statues of Jesus Idols,one because we claim Jesus is God,and two because no graven image should be made to worship gods and of course God himself.
How is the Incarnation flawed? Well AnthonyMN, I know that the Catholics no matter who they are have no real defense for the production and use of statues that misrepresent the PERSON of God in Christ Jesus.It is a thorn in the flesh of your belief system that continues to seaparate the Body of Christ till Jesus returns,what else is new? Many Catholics would be hopelessly distraught without the presence of statues in their churches for an atmosphere of worship.Thanksgiving is over,we already celebrated that day which is a national holiday,thank you!
"As the sacred and life-giving cross is everywhere set up as a symbol, so also should the images of Jesus Christ, the Virgin Mary, the holy angels, as well as those of the saints and other pious and holy men be embodied in the manufacture of sacred vessels, tapestries, vestments, etc., and exhibited on the walls of churches, in the homes, and in all conspicuous places, by the roadside and everywhere, to be revered by all who might see them. For the more they are contemplated, the more they move to fervent memory of their prototypes. Therefore, it is proper to accord to them a fervent and reverent adoration, not, however, the veritable worship which, according to our faith, belongs to the Divine Being alone — for the honor accorded to the image passes over to its prototype, and whoever adores the image adores in it the reality of what is there represented."

But of course, modern day protestants know better....

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07664a.htm
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll make you a deal. You show me why I should not be Catholic and if it checks out, I will leave.
Easy right?
I will warn you, that I will research whatever you tell me. I been down this road with lots of different Protestant sects..I was looking for a new 'church' once before. They didn't check out. Basically, I caught them lying about Catholicism. It seems they can't exist without being deceitful. I never ever heard the Catholic Church lie about them.. nuff said.
Clay, read this and tell me how you don't worship idols;

Ezekiel 43:5-9

5Then the Spirit took me up and brought me into the inner courtyard, and the glory of the Lord filled the Temple. 6And I heard someone speaking to me from within the Temple, while the man who had been measuring stood beside me.

7The Lord said to me,“Son of man, this is the place of my throne and the place where I will rest my feet. I will live here forever among the people of Israel.

>They and their kings will not defile my holy name any longer by their adulterous worship of other gods >or by honoring the relics of their kings who have died.<

>8They put their idol altars right next to mine with only a wall between them and me. They defiled my holy name by such detestable sin, so I consumed them in my anger.

9Now let them stop worshiping other gods and honoring the relics of their kings, and I will live among them forever.<
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

<quoted text>
The Bible says....
Luk 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and -->saying,<--
Luk 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
definition of the word -->saying<-- as us in Luke 2:13...
&#955;&#949;&#769; &#947;&#969;
lego&#772;
leg'-o
A primary verb; properly to “lay” forth, that is,(figuratively) relate (in words [usually of systematic or set discourse; whereas G2036 and G5346 generally refer to an individual expression or speech respectively; while G4483 is properly to break silence merely, and G2980 means an extended or random harangue]); by implication to mean:- ask, bid, boast, call, describe, give out, name, put forth, say (-ing, on), shew, speak, tell, utter.
What ever the angels were doing they were praising God,,,
It seems ironic that you and your pope would be so concerned about whether the angels sang or didn't sing at the birth of Jesus
Ye he has no compunctions about lying concerning Matt 16: 17-19
Nothing that your Church claims about the pope and papal succession is written there.
So because you disagree with the meaning of Matt 16, you figure it gives your wife license to spread false information about what the pope writes. Talk about irony.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bread of Life.
Bread box? You lost me Regina:)
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Kay mocked the pope because she read something in a news article. Factually she was wrong. Factually the bible says nothing about animals and angels singing, it's just tradition, nice tradition and something I have no problem with, but tradition all the same. The hypocritical thing about this sad chapter is that you guys are the ones caught adding to scripture.
Anthony I didn't add anything I just posted what the Bible said In Luke. Then posted the definition of a manger, which is a trough that animals eat out of.
The Angel told the shepherd that Jesus would be laying in a manger, which is inside a stable.
Some people actually believe the manger is the stable it self.
the Angels could have been singing or they could have just stated.
About Jesus birth. Does it matter?? the Angel's brought the Good News that a Savior was born, and were they would find HIM.
The man who wrote the carol, wrote a beautiful song and had the angels sing the Good News message to the shepherds.
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Dustorm:
That would be a fair statement, but since I have not seen the exact quote forgive me for not trusting secular and protestant tabloids as we have seen them so accurate so often in here. ROTFL
I love it..."...as we have seen them SO ACCURATE so often in here." :)
I know it was a typo...but it's cute anyway.
KayMarie
Typo? It was well earned sarcasm, based on the never ending trash which you so called Christians post with no regard at all for the truth, reason or fairness. I guess you missed the rotfl, but that it went over your head is no surprise. Isn't that cute? Now you can resume your innuendo and false witness as it is what you do best.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

yikes...

Leviticus 26:30
I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars and pile your dead bodies on the lifeless forms of your idols, and I will abhor you.
I
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Oh here we go again, Rob knows something we don't know, but he won't tell what it is...

brb.
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Silly me. I just thought it 'might' be a good idea to take Jesus at his word. But of course, only if He agrees with the RCC. "and professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."
Well you professed yourself wise without understanding. You do of course realize that you just called most Protestants and scholars fools. So sorry the facts don't meet with your approval, you bet get on all those Protestants about that, because they dont know you are final word on what Jesus and bible really says.
ReginaM

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Bread box? You lost me Regina:)
Jesus is the Bread of Life. "I am the living bread come down from heaven." Bread is food, yes? Mangers were food troughs used to feed animals. The symbolism is that Jesus, our Bread, the food for our souls, was placed in a manger, a feeding trough. It also spoke to His humility and poverty. The Christian faith is very rich and multi-layered, exquisitely beautiful.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 389,461 - 389,480 of513,520
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••