Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
389,321 - 389,340 of 539,066 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

Since: Nov 08

usa

#404259 Nov 23, 2012
here's one for you to judge fact or fiction.........By Elliott Jones

TCPalm news

FORT PIERCE —
A motorist who was blowing her horn and going 100 mph in a 30-mph zone on U.S. 1 in Fort Pierce at 1 a.m. Tuesday told officers God told her to do it.

Regardless, Melissa Miller, 41, of Port St. Lucie, was arrested on charges of reckless driving and speeding.

She was taken to the St. Lucie County Jail and placed under a $375 bail. In addition to reckless driving, the resident of the 400 block of Northwest Marsala Terrace, is charged with violation of her probation for leaving the scene of an accident with injuries.

After she was stopped, an officer quoted her as saying she was speeding "because I was letting the Lord spirit guide me," according to a police report. She attributed her lengthy horn blowing to "the Lord telling me to do it."

JETHRO:is she telling the truth? or not? did god speak to het and tell her to drive like she did? or is she nuts?..if god can talk through a donkey why not a stereo.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#404260 Nov 23, 2012
good day people.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#404261 Nov 23, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
As to animals in the Nativity scene, though they are not specifically mentioned, WOULD NATURALLY BE IN A STABLE.
One sideline Protestant group is protesting Christmas,too, by saying that He was not born in a stable.
They say that the word "inn" means 'guest room', so Jesus was born in the 'guest room'.
One only has to read more carefully to see that "there was NO ROOM in the INN (guest room)".
There is a war on against Christianity, and Christmas in particular.(An old pagan holiday???)
KayMarie
If I were you I would just say you were wrong in mocking the pope on this subject. Now, it just looks like you're trying to talk your way out of the trouble you stirred up for yourself.
preston

Waverly, OH

#404262 Nov 23, 2012
As to animals in the Nativity scene, though they are not specifically mentioned, WOULD NATURALLY BE IN A STABLE.
One sideline Protestant group is protesting Christmas,too, by saying that He was not born in a stable.
They say that the word "inn" means 'guest room', so Jesus was born in the 'guest room'.
One only has to read more carefully to see that "there was NO ROOM in the INN (guest room)".
There is a war on against Christianity, and Christmas in particular.(An old pagan holiday???)
KayMarie
the "stable" was a small cave, and i doubt if cows were in this small cave, since most cows were down in Bashan where the good pasture is located.

the only animal that might have been there would have been a small burro
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#404263 Nov 23, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that Christianity wasn't forced upon the people, and they all knew what would happen to them if they got caught celebrating the Mass, makes it a remarkable religion. It basically functioned 'underground' for centuries.
Jesus said "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, Baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and Behold, I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, TO THE CLOSE OF THE AGE"
All but one of the Apostles were captured and put to death. All the men they ordained were put to death. I believe 30 of the first Bishops of Rome (Popes) were killed?
wikipedia.org/wiki/list_of_popes
It has to divinely guided that we are still here today.
CLAY says.......All but one of the Apostles were captured and put to death. All the men they ordained were put to death. I believe 30 of the first Bishops of Rome (Popes) were killed?

If that is true, What purpose did that serve? Whats the upside to it? 2,000 years later and only 18% of the entire world is baptized catholic and today most don't even practice their faith according to the american bishops conference in 2010.

If you wouldn't do it and I wouldn't do it, why would you think its neat that they did it?

Extremist muslims flew airplanes into the trade centre in the name of their religion/God, believing they immediately went to heaven. You don't believe that but they do.

David Karesh and others believe they died in the name of God.

Where does it become acceptable and when does it become not acceptable?

What purpose does it really serve, other then sensationalism?

ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#404264 Nov 23, 2012
KayMarie
I agree that animals might have been in the stable because it was, well, a stable. The Pope probably thinks so, too, but there's no account of these things in scripture. I think you're missing the point of his book(s)...and I find it very disheartening that you're missing it because of your anti-Catholic bigotry.

Think about what you wrote above, Kay. There's a war on Christianity. What are some of the arguments used by secularists? How are they addressed by the Pope's latest work? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#404265 Nov 23, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I've also read various Protestant commentaries that state there was no actual singing by angels, that the words were spoken.
As Alessandro Speciale said in the CNN piece, the Pope was trying to show that Jesus is a very real historical figure, not some flowery myth. The Pope likes Christmas carols and traditional nativity scenes just as much as anyone else. They're just not biblical.
What I find to be the saddest thing is how so many, so often massivley distort virtually everything said. Politicians have nothing on the tabloid journalism exploiting out of context statements and stirring a flurry of nonsense. False witness has no meaning too often it seems. I have never seen a Protestant in here apologize for a lie they spread. NOT ONE! EVER!
Orville

Vancouver, WA

#404266 Nov 23, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>LET ME HELP YOU OPUT.
STARTED OUT AS cr, THEN ATEMCOWBOY, JONAH,pRESTON, REDWAX AND OCCASIONALLY, i WOULD USE SOME WEIRD NAME IF I WAS FROM MY PRIVATE FORUM.
AND THO IT ISNT A SECRET, TOPIX HAS LISTED ME IN iND, mICH oHIO. maybe ky.
what bothers me about theses people like marge who actually befriend you even after you wish me dead as I showed your post to LTM.
But I am not in the least concernend about marge liking or talking to you. she is the most unstable and ignorant persons on here. I had to set on her with her stupid psotsa that was already fulfilled in the Garden that she tied to use to promote OSAS.
the devil his way of grouping you people

You diverted again. Your not getting away easy Preston. Topix has nothing to do with your locations. Topix registers your I.P. location as revealed from your I.P. Very simple. You know what is coming.

I still petition Holy God toward you. BTW, "preacher". There is so such thing as death as you referred. More proof, your not of Holy God.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#404267 Nov 23, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
here's one for you to judge fact or fiction.........By Elliott Jones
TCPalm news
FORT PIERCE —
A motorist who was blowing her horn and going 100 mph in a 30-mph zone on U.S. 1 in Fort Pierce at 1 a.m. Tuesday told officers God told her to do it.
Regardless, Melissa Miller, 41, of Port St. Lucie, was arrested on charges of reckless driving and speeding.
She was taken to the St. Lucie County Jail and placed under a $375 bail. In addition to reckless driving, the resident of the 400 block of Northwest Marsala Terrace, is charged with violation of her probation for leaving the scene of an accident with injuries.
After she was stopped, an officer quoted her as saying she was speeding "because I was letting the Lord spirit guide me," according to a police report. She attributed her lengthy horn blowing to "the Lord telling me to do it."
JETHRO:is she telling the truth? or not? did god speak to het and tell her to drive like she did? or is she nuts?..if god can talk through a donkey why not a stereo.
......not to forget the donkey and talking snake both spoke fluent hebrew, and neither one of them knew the alphabet or had vocal chords.

Lets not forget the unforgetable story of Jonah almost drowning and God sends a BIG FISH for Jonah and spends 3 days swimming around in the belly of this big fish. Try that today people? Who was there to record such a story?

FACT?? or FICTION??

ALL TRUE STORIES!

Raise your hands in the air!!....ITS A MIRACLE!!!

I like the 3 little pigs story better......
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#404268 Nov 23, 2012
who="ReginaM"
I've also read various Protestant commentaries that state there was no actual singing by angels, that the words were spoken.
As Alessandro Speciale said in the CNN piece, the Pope was trying to show that Jesus is a very real historical figure, not some flowery myth. The Pope likes Christmas carols and traditional nativity scenes just as much as anyone else. They're just not biblical.
A whole host of angels praising God in the sky would be music to me.
Not Biblical? Examine every one of the items used for the Christmas celebration, and you will see that each of them 'fits' the scripture. Even the colors (red and green) were what John the Revelator saw when he saw the throne of God.
KayMarie
Again, Kay, I agree. But technically, it isn't described as such in scripture. I could be wrong as I haven't yet read his book, but I think the Pope's point is well taken. The man is a brilliant Christian scholar and theologian. No one does Christmas like the Bavarians, but that isn't the perspective of "The Infancy Narratives".
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#404269 Nov 23, 2012
Luke 2:8-20

[8] And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.[9] An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.[10] But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.[11] Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.[12] This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

[13] Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

[14] "Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."
[15] When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."

[16] So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.[17] When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child,[18] and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.[19] But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.[20] The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.
LTM

#404270 Nov 23, 2012
LUKE 2 .[11] Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.[12] This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

definition of a manger

man·ger (mnjr)
n.
A trough or an open box in which feed for livestock is placed.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#404271 Nov 23, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>the "stable" was a small cave, and i doubt if cows were in this small cave, since most cows were down in Bashan where the good pasture is located.
the only animal that might have been there would have been a small burro

Poor little burro all by himself!

No one outside of christian ONLY writers ever mentions the virgin birth story. Don't forget there were no christians, christianity had not yet even been invented, but only jews and they don't tell stories or believe in virgin mary story.

There is no recorded stories anywhere of King Herod slaughtering male infants. No recorded stories anywhere of Mary/Joseph/Jesus fleeing to Egypt.

As a young child I too was taught all these stories. I was fascinated until I reached the age of reason, 9.

Christian TRADITION only!

Every religious "belief" has their traditions and their followers were taught and believe as strongly in their hearts that their stories are true too.

LTM

#404272 Nov 23, 2012
Definition of MANGER

: a trough or open box in a stable designed to hold feed or fodder for livestock
Live Action

Edmond, OK

#404273 Nov 23, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>what ever you say, knowing him.
what about the burro, any truth to that?LOL
no no truth to that but thats what you get when you speak the truth people that persecute you I'm not in school anymore and words do not hurt me...
Pad

Rockford, IL

#404274 Nov 23, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your understanding of the 1st commandment is flawed. And your understanding of the significance of the Incarnation is flawed. Happy Thanksgiving!
Of course you think it is flawed in the eyes of what you defend on a daily basis AnthonyMN.The truth of the matter is,that the RCC has saw fit to believe that God abhors idols made for worship of an unknown deity,and we agree with them on that,but God abhors any graven image especially made for the worship of Himself as well,in regards to His Son.Oh it's okay to have images as long as they are of Jesus? Well I wonder when the images of Jesus first began to circulate in the early centuries of the Christian movement? No doubt the Jews would have even more reason to hate us,because we violated the First commandment.

The Jews have every right to call statues of Jesus Idols,one because we claim Jesus is God,and two because no graven image should be made to worship gods and of course God himself.

How is the Incarnation flawed? Well AnthonyMN, I know that the Catholics no matter who they are have no real defense for the production and use of statues that misrepresent the PERSON of God in Christ Jesus.It is a thorn in the flesh of your belief system that continues to seaparate the Body of Christ till Jesus returns,what else is new? Many Catholics would be hopelessly distraught without the presence of statues in their churches for an atmosphere of worship.Thanksgiving is over,we already celebrated that day which is a national holiday,thank you!
Live Action

Edmond, OK

#404275 Nov 23, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
"Nice talk" from a "so-called" Christian!!!
First of all i am not a christain that is like a insult to me for most Christians are the ones who love war adultery and sin all week and then ask forgiveness on sunday.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#404276 Nov 23, 2012
LTM wrote:
Definition of MANGER
: a trough or open box in a stable designed to hold feed or fodder for livestock
Kay mocked the pope because she read something in a news article. Factually she was wrong. Factually the bible says nothing about animals and angels singing, it's just tradition, nice tradition and something I have no problem with, but tradition all the same. The hypocritical thing about this sad chapter is that you guys are the ones caught adding to scripture.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#404277 Nov 23, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that animals might have been in the stable because it was, well, a stable. The Pope probably thinks so, too, but there's no account of these things in scripture. I think you're missing the point of his book(s)...and I find it very disheartening that you're missing it because of your anti-Catholic bigotry.
Think about what you wrote above, Kay. There's a war on Christianity. What are some of the arguments used by secularists? How are they addressed by the Pope's latest work? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
REGINA M. says........ agree that animals might have been in the stable because it was, well, a stable.

Bible says CAVE..........thats a long way from a stable.

Does anybody really know? NO!

----------

REGINA M. says......There's a war on Christianity. What are some of the arguments used by secularists

What war??

You and all religious people should be "joyful" in celebrating the fact that you live in a "secular society" that allows all religious people, like YOU to practice their religion in peace without fearing imposition. That would never happen in a theocracy. You would be told what to believe.

thank your lucky secualar stars REGINA M.

Today, in america every generation becomes less religiously observant than the generation before. Why? Has organized religion run its course like all the beliefs have done from the past?

The high water mark years of catholicism was 1962-68...since then its been on a slide. Lower number of baptisms, marriages, mass attendance, fewer catholic schools, fewer nuns, priests, and christian brothers. Why?

When the MOST holy catholics men and women don't answer the calling to the priest/sisterhood as they did in the past, than you know you are in trouble.

I can't believe the vatican isn't doing PRIORITY JOB #1 research as to why western world catholicism is going down.

Truth

Leesburg, VA

#404278 Nov 23, 2012
passinby wrote:
<quoted text>
There were two Shabbats that week; Pesach/Passover and the 7th. He died before Pesach/Passover Wednesday afternoon before sunset.
Now as for counting, evening and morning are considered a day from the very beginning. Unless you're claiming he raised Sunday night you can't get 3 days from Friday evening to Sunday morning Roman time. How about you respect the Hebrew scriptures, understanding, and Yahusha's own words and historical information about when Pesach/Passover happened at that time?
i think you destroyed your own argument with the 3PM Friday to 3PM Saturday; that's only 1 day. And then you devolve into mystical strangeness by talking about the number 40 being about completion? i think i'll rely on the actual word of YHUH and what Yahusha said would happen. That will keep me in good standing with YHUH. Because by your logic YHUH/YHUShA isn't capable of fulfilling his word of being 3 literal days in the tomb like Yonah not seeing corruption (which would happen by 3 days) and then resurrecting.
As for understanding the Hebrew way; i am a Hebrew (not a Jew) an actual descendant of Yshral/Yaaqob; speaking English or being born somewhere has nothing to do with it. Understanding Hebrew and Aramaic and accepting YHUH/YHUShA's testimony does.
Luke 13:32-33

32 He replied,“Go tell that fox,‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today (FRIDAY) and tomorrow,9SATURDAY) and on the third day (SUNDAY) I will reach my goal.’

33 In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!

Luke 24:21

21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place.

Luke 24:46

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Thu Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Aug 27 Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Aug 23 ELIAS IBARRA 46
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••