Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
389,301 - 389,320 of 532,517 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Back after your "Thanksgiving" break of stirring up trouble and right into it again eh Kay?
I can't find your article on BCN.
BTW, can you give me book, chapter and verse where the angels are singing at Jesus's birth?
Who's really adding to scripture Kay?
Easy: Luk 2:8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
Luk 2:9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
Luk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
Luk 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Luk 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Luk 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Luk 2:15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
Note verse 13. Todays BCN.
Cute...you call me Sapphira, but "I" am making trouble?
KayMarie
The pope said the angels were not singing. My bible doesn't say they were singing. Your KJV doesn't say they were singing.

Yes, Sapphira, you are stirring up trouble.
ReginaM

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
Back after your "Thanksgiving" break of stirring up trouble and right into it again eh Kay?
BTW, can you give me book, chapter and verse where the angels are singing at Jesus's birth?
Easy: Luk 2:8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
Luk 2:9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
Luk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
Luk 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Luk 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Luk 2:15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
KayMarie
I don't see anything about singing here. Perhaps you misunderstood Anthony's request.

According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present.
Pope debunks Christmas myths

He also debunks the claim that angels sang at the birth, a staple theme of Christmas carols.

The book, which is being published in multiple languages in time for Christmas, is the third in a series by the pontiff. The previous two volumes dealt with Jesus' adult life and his public ministry.

Alessandro Speciale, Vatican correspondent for the Religion News Service, told CNN the pope was not so much aiming to debunk myths as trying to show that the Jesus depicted in the Gospels is a real historical figure, who walked on earth and talked to people like anyone else.

But while the book points out that the Gospels do not support the presence of animals at Jesus' birth -- a detail apparently added in later centuries -- the pope does not suggest they should be thrown out of the Nativity scene, Speciale said.

"The pope is a traditional man and he doesn't want people at all to change their traditions," Speciale said.

The Vatican quotes Anthony Valle, a professor of theology, as saying the pope has been open to scientific inquiry in his own study of Jesus' life.

"The pope is not against the historical critical method at all, in fact, he uses it, he appreciates it," Valle said.

He sees the pope as using "both faith and reason" in his efforts to bring the life of Jesus closer.

Monsignor Philip Whitmore, who translated the book into English, said the pontiff used his writing to explore "the inner meaning of the infancy narratives, showing how they pick up on Old Testament themes and develop them in new and unexpected ways."

"The pope helps us to understand the world where Jesus was born. Caesar brought peace to the Roman Empire, but this tiny child brought something much more wonderful: God's peace, eternal life, an end to sin and death," Whitmore added.

"Anyone who's wondering why Christmas came to be such a great celebration in the West can find the answer right here. The pope explains how the birth of Jesus changed history forever."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/europe/va...
ReginaM

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
KayMarie
I don't see anything about singing here. Perhaps you misunderstood Anthony's request.

According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present.

He also debunks the claim that angels sang at the birth, a staple theme of Christmas carols.

The book, which is being published in multiple languages in time for Christmas, is the third in a series by the pontiff. The previous two volumes dealt with Jesus' adult life and his public ministry.

Alessandro Speciale, Vatican correspondent for the Religion News Service, told CNN the pope was not so much aiming to debunk myths as trying to show that the Jesus depicted in the Gospels is a real historical figure, who walked on earth and talked to people like anyone else.

But while the book points out that the Gospels do not support the presence of animals at Jesus' birth -- a detail apparently added in later centuries -- the pope does not suggest they should be thrown out of the Nativity scene, Speciale said.

"The pope is a traditional man and he doesn't want people at all to change their traditions," Speciale said.

The Vatican quotes Anthony Valle, a professor of theology, as saying the pope has been open to scientific inquiry in his own study of Jesus' life.

"The pope is not against the historical critical method at all, in fact, he uses it, he appreciates it," Valle said.

He sees the pope as using "both faith and reason" in his efforts to bring the life of Jesus closer.

Monsignor Philip Whitmore, who translated the book into English, said the pontiff used his writing to explore "the inner meaning of the infancy narratives, showing how they pick up on Old Testament themes and develop them in new and unexpected ways."

"The pope helps us to understand the world where Jesus was born. Caesar brought peace to the Roman Empire, but this tiny child brought something much more wonderful: God's peace, eternal life, an end to sin and death," Whitmore added.

"Anyone who's wondering why Christmas came to be such a great celebration in the West can find the answer right here. The pope explains how the birth of Jesus changed history forever."
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...I know, the ignorance that spews from them daily is nothing short of a miracle in itself. I have not read the book, but articles that start with the man in a dress and a funny hat says blah blah are par for the course for those who claim they love the Lord like LTM and KM. Dispicable people without a single speck of truth in them.
Most Protestants have the misunderstanding that whatever a Pope says even if he prefaces it with an opinion is changing the gospel. lol Yet, their ministers very very often say in my opinion, you may disagree etc. Scholarly work is of no importance.
According to at least one protestan source albeit biased against the church the Pope was merely saying that he believed the Angels spoke not sang and that it was believed that their voices were like song. He did not say it never happened nor was it in the gospel. That would be a fair statement, but since I have not seen the exact quote forgive me for not trusting secular and protestant tabloids as we have seen them so accurate so often in here. ROTFL
I have no problem with "Hark the Herald". I love the idea that they were singing, but it's sad to see sola scriptura protestants blasting the pope when they're following an unbiblical tradition of their own. lol. Hope you have a blessed Advent.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
The pope said the angels were not singing. My bible doesn't say they were singing. Your KJV doesn't say they were singing.

So, it says PRAISING. I did have the wrong paper, however. It was Zionica.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Anthony! Looks like the Pope is more 'bible only' than they are. Who'da thunk it! I'm looking forward to reading his book.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Regina, I hope your were able to celebrate in comfort. I haven't read it yet either, we'll have to discuss it afterwards. Have a blessed Advent season.
preston

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
it didnt take him any time to start trouble again. his first post back was ana ttack on me becaise I checked out a profile and found this poster started trouble on different forums and of course mr fraud had to say something smar.

and LTM aint smart enough to realize that these two are only here to cause stife.

as evil as those two are, they should THANK God that he hasnt punished them for their inequity
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
All of Christianity for the first 1,800 yrs. Including Orthodox and Protestants understood Jesus had no blood siblings. If one were to put away their modern English Bible, and transform themselves into the time period of Jesus. And read scripture if THEIR language an culture, it becomes clear as can be.
Just another example of the Born Again movements undoing of sacred scripture based on their limited and ignorant understanding.
Also, what do you care? You're an Atheist.
Clay says......

........If one were to put away their modern English Bible, and transform themselves into the time period of Jesus. And read scripture if THEIR language an culture, it becomes clear as can be.

Michael says...How does it become clear Clay? Why put away your modern english bible? Is the bible wrong when it states..

1) "brothers of Jesus sons of Mary"

2) Is the bible wrong when Paul says "JAMES THE BROTHER OF THE LORD"

3) Is the bible wrong when it states Jesus FIRST born son of Mary. That means more children.

4) Is it wrong when it says is this not the son of the carpenter and all his brothers are with us.(lol)

5) Brothers are mentioned James, Joseph, Jose, Judas,

Catholics are caught up in this perpetual virginity of mary and the only way they try and save face is to state the BIBLE IS WRONG!
Thats not good!

excuses excuses excuses!

Clay says.....

All of Christianity for the first 1,800 yrs. Including Orthodox and Protestants understood Jesus had no blood siblings.

None of these people lived when Jesus supposedly lived. If Jesus lived his entire life a JEW wouldn't the Jews know best? They lived with him.(lol)

Catholics are hell bent on this perpetual virginity of Mary and are caught up and painted into a corner.

I have never seen so many twists and turns to make the story anyway you want it to turn out the way you want it.(lol)

BUSTED!

ReginaM

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...I know, the ignorance that spews from them daily is nothing short of a miracle in itself. I have not read the book, but articles that start with the man in a dress and a funny hat says blah blah are par for the course for those who claim they love the Lord like LTM and KM. Dispicable people without a single speck of truth in them.
Most Protestants have the misunderstanding that whatever a Pope says even if he prefaces it with an opinion is changing the gospel. lol Yet, their ministers very very often say in my opinion, you may disagree etc. Scholarly work is of no importance.
According to at least one protestan source albeit biased against the church the Pope was merely saying that he believed the Angels spoke not sang and that it was believed that their voices were like song. He did not say it never happened nor was it in the gospel. That would be a fair statement, but since I have not seen the exact quote forgive me for not trusting secular and protestant tabloids as we have seen them so accurate so often in here. ROTFL
I've also read various Protestant commentaries that state there was no actual singing by angels, that the words were spoken.

As Alessandro Speciale said in the CNN piece, the Pope was trying to show that Jesus is a very real historical figure, not some flowery myth. The Pope likes Christmas carols and traditional nativity scenes just as much as anyone else. They're just not biblical.
Pad

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church "does not" take the "spoken, stated and expressed words of Jesus (lightly)---but apparently YOU DO!!
In regards to the words that Our Lord "clearly speaks" in John 6:47-59 "For unless you eat my Body,(which is real food) and drink my blood (which is real drink)---you CANNOT---have ETERNAL LIFE!!
You still continue to "make up things" Confrinting regarding this "mentally disordered myth" that has infected you, saying that we as Catholics worship idols. What a crock of Protestant (bible only) BS!! With "ludicrous statements" like this--it only shows how "insecure" and desperate" you "need to be" in order to keep your hatred, hostility and "fire of vengence" (heated up) against Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church...... Condemning the faith of other Christians, passing judgement against the personal salvation of TRUE followers of Jesus Christ (especially Catholics) and listing of (a bunch) of bible verses is the "entire basis" of your ministry. NONE OF THIS makes you a Christian! Take an example from your wife KayMarie!---As I have told you "repeatedly" she is the ONLY true Christian in your family!
hojo,you may not worhip an idol of a calf,or a god that is foreign to the LORD our God,but any statue of Jesus is clearly breaking the first commandment.Jesus is G O D,is He not?Any image of Him is a false representation of WHO and what He is as being part of the Godhead,and that most of all He is the fulfilment of the Godhead,B O D I L Y.

That even moreso should not allow the people of God to make an image of the Fulfillment of the Godhead Bodily.The RCC has broken the first commandment and continues to do so every time it produces images of Jesus,Mary and anyone else that is connected with faith in God,the ONLY ONE who told His people to never make a graven image of such things or of people that represent the Living God.

I know all the arguments of statues that Catholics attempt to use to validate their breach of the first commandment of God.But that is sad and no matter how many centuries and years have gone by,the RCC still disobeys the LORD,God of Israel with the production and selling of i m a g e s that falsely represent Yeshua,Adonai ha Moshiach. If a church institution cannot get past the first commandment without disobedience,how can they be the only true and Apostolic church?

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
Hey jethro8,
According to followers of the Catholic Church, Jesus gave them every authority to do whatever they wanted to do and whatever happens to strike their fancy at the time -- and no-one is allowed to question this. They can even torture and murder heretics in Jesus' name if they so desire, because Jesus himself gave the Pope the authority!
-
Imagine that! The Pope AND his ardent followers - can do acts of horror that would most certainly make the Devil proud and claim that Jesus authorized them to! Then they can turn around (sometimes immediately and sometimes years later) and say "OOPS! we made a mistake and the individuals who did *those things* were evil and most certainly non-Catholic."
-
Yet they claim an UNBROKEN chain of popes going back to the time of Peter himself.(And everybody knows that some popes were so evil they would make even the devil blush.)
-
So. In an unbroken chain of popes - how can some be deemed as non-Catholic AFTER they are dead and buried, and yet at the same time, claim that there is an unbroken chain of popes?
-
Catholicism is nothing but double-think. It has to be. And because the truth is not in them. They can't handle the truth.
the apostles did not have eternal life and either do the popes,why is that? wouldn't it make sense to keep them alive to spread the true meaning of gods word? well the popes couldn't do it,but the apostles could of since they were in jesus' presence,and from 1st pope linus to date,none of them ever spoke to either jesus or one of the apostles.they use some truth,but it is twisted and turned to coincide with paganism.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
So, it says PRAISING. I did have the wrong paper, however. It was Zionica.
KayMarie
You were stirring up trouble like you always do, in this case, it was mocking the pope when you were ignorant of the facts. When someone is always in the attack mode they tend to have their blinders on. You should pray a little before you toss out the next insult.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
REGINA M. says......According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present.

What research?? The only writings about the virgin birth are in the gospels. Can't you read them and decifer what they say? No jews, no one from the entire mediteranean, no writers, scribes, statesmen, government officials, soothsayers, or philosophers ever mention the birth of a Jesus.
There is no other sources of information to do "RESEARCH" about the birth of Jesus.

The popes research...(lol)

The whole story about Jesus is just a christian tradition. Much like any other religion that has their action figures and characters and stories about them. Stories that you wouldn't believe, just like your stories that they don't believe.

TRADITION with a lot of fiction.....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

As to animals in the Nativity scene, though they are not specifically mentioned, WOULD NATURALLY BE IN A STABLE.

One sideline Protestant group is protesting Christmas,too, by saying that He was not born in a stable.

They say that the word "inn" means 'guest room', so Jesus was born in the 'guest room'.

One only has to read more carefully to see that "there was NO ROOM in the INN (guest room)".

There is a war on against Christianity, and Christmas in particular.(An old pagan holiday???)

KayMarie

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> Then how would you explain why nobody else likes you?
i like preston,there are a lot worse people on here than him.
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with "Hark the Herald". I love the idea that they were singing, but it's sad to see sola scriptura protestants blasting the pope when they're following an unbiblical tradition of their own. lol. Hope you have a blessed Advent.
So true! You as well.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>hojo,you may not worhip an idol of a calf,or a god that is foreign to the LORD our God,but any statue of Jesus is clearly breaking the first commandment.Jesus is G O D,is He not?Any image of Him is a false representation of WHO and what He is as being part of the Godhead,and that most of all He is the fulfilment of the Godhead,B O D I L Y.
That even moreso should not allow the people of God to make an image of the Fulfillment of the Godhead Bodily.The RCC has broken the first commandment and continues to do so every time it produces images of Jesus,Mary and anyone else that is connected with faith in God,the ONLY ONE who told His people to never make a graven image of such things or of people that represent the Living God.
I know all the arguments of statues that Catholics attempt to use to validate their breach of the first commandment of God.But that is sad and no matter how many centuries and years have gone by,the RCC still disobeys the LORD,God of Israel with the production and selling of i m a g e s that falsely represent Yeshua,Adonai ha Moshiach. If a church institution cannot get past the first commandment without disobedience,how can they be the only true and Apostolic church?
Your understanding of the 1st commandment is flawed. And your understanding of the significance of the Incarnation is flawed. Happy Thanksgiving!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church "does not" take the "spoken, stated and expressed words of Jesus (lightly)---but apparently YOU DO!!
In regards to the words that Our Lord "clearly speaks" in John 6:47-59 "For unless you eat my Body,(which is real food) and drink my blood (which is real drink)---you CANNOT---have ETERNAL LIFE!!
You still continue to "make up things" Confrinting regarding this "mentally disordered myth" that has infected you, saying that we as Catholics worship idols. What a crock of Protestant (bible only) BS!! With "ludicrous statements" like this--it only shows how "insecure" and desperate" you "need to be" in order to keep your hatred, hostility and "fire of vengence" (heated up) against Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church...... Condemning the faith of other Christians, passing judgement against the personal salvation of TRUE followers of Jesus Christ (especially Catholics) and listing of (a bunch) of bible verses is the "entire basis" of your ministry. NONE OF THIS makes you a Christian! Take an example from your wife KayMarie!---As I have told you "repeatedly" she is the ONLY true Christian in your family!
Stories written by men about another man, which in TODAYS world is called third party information or "hearsay" and not admissable in a court of law as to determine guilt or innocense or right from wrong.

Do you know if Jesus was literate or not?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

who="ReginaM"
I've also read various Protestant commentaries that state there was no actual singing by angels, that the words were spoken.
As Alessandro Speciale said in the CNN piece, the Pope was trying to show that Jesus is a very real historical figure, not some flowery myth. The Pope likes Christmas carols and traditional nativity scenes just as much as anyone else. They're just not biblical.

A whole host of angels praising God in the sky would be music to me.

Not Biblical? Examine every one of the items used for the Christmas celebration, and you will see that each of them 'fits' the scripture. Even the colors (red and green) were what John the Revelator saw when he saw the throne of God.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

preston wrote:
<quoted text>it didnt take him any time to start trouble again. his first post back was ana ttack on me becaise I checked out a profile and found this poster started trouble on different forums and of course mr fraud had to say something smar.
and LTM aint smart enough to realize that these two are only here to cause stife.
as evil as those two are, they should THANK God that he hasnt punished them for their inequity
It must be rather depressing spending all day looking for ways to attack your opponent. They should get out more.

Hope you had a nice time with your family yesterday preston.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Married in 8,121
More 8 hr True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... 8 hr Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes 8 hr ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Mon Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Mon Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••