Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 550,773
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#403563 Nov 20, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!
Thank you so much, Hank, you're a very dear soul. I went back and read some posts and saw where you were asking about me and Robert said he was praying. It means a great deal, you have no idea. Or maybe you do. Yes, I think you do. Thank you again, my friend. As always, hope you and your family are well. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Hey Regina,

You don't know how glad we are (my wife and myself) to hear that you are ok. My wife kept asking me, "have you heard from her yet?" We both were worried about you.

My wife and I put you on our prayer list and prayed everyday for you. Believe me, we know how those storms can be...we have been through many of them as we are not originally from Virginia.

I am so glad to see that people are helping out.

Do you need anything? I can use my resources and get your some help. Let me know.

Praise the Lord that you are ok.....
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#403564 Nov 20, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>

The Church functioned for the next 300 yrs before the letters of Paul would be considered inspired by the Holy Spirit!
You can't deny this history.
Mmmmmm...
Probably should be "It was close to 300 years before the Letters of St.Paul were formally declared to be inspired scripture at a council or synod."
The individual churches in various places were using them in the sacred liturgy before such declaration. In fact, it was such usage, which arose out of a sense of the divinely inspiried character of the writings, which led to the formal declaration, rather than the other way around.
I mention this primarily because we have had such misunderstanding by many Prots on this board, as if the CC were claiming that it is the declaration of the Church which made the writings scripture (divinely inspired). What we are actually saying is the RECOGNITION of this is expressed in declaration by the Church, after that first recognition grew within the individual church communities.
Work of the Holy Spirit, all around, in the writer, in the small communities, and finally, in the Council Declaration.
Mass in 2 min. Gotta go!
Rob
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#403565 Nov 20, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
There may be no evidence of Holy Tongues spoken by Jesus, but they are certainly a gift from Holy Spirit.
John 14:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
""Then Peter said unto them, Repent "(have a change of mind)", and be baptized"" "(i.e. immersed)" every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." "- with the evidence of speaking in tongues - ACTS 2:38.
Tounges:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =G--h5ZfWvugXX
Orville,

Today, we have the Word of God....we do not need the "speaking of tongues...."

Besides, the "speaking of tongues" was for the Jews....

In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
<<<<<I will speak to this people,>>>>>
but even then they will not listen to me,
says the Lord.”
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#403566 Nov 20, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>the truth that he and his wife are frauds doesnt bother me in the least. I aint in their skin.
and I would venture to say that I have called him a fraud a 1000 times or more.
God willing, it will be 5000 times in the future.
and you aint never been the type of being "proper" in the first place.
you and I BOTH know that you take turns being on one side or the other, and any person who agrees with you is as two faced as you are.
satisfied? I have always kept quiet as far as you were concerned because i already know the person that you are.lol
Preston says......

.......you and I BOTH know that you take turns being on one side or the other, and any person who agrees with you is as two faced as you are.

satisfied? I have always kept quiet as far as you were concerned because i already know the person that you are.lol

Michael says....

I don't take turns on anything. I am who I am, and if there is a loving God he would be proud to know, I use my own free will and judgements to make decisions, not like you who has so much mental baggage and you have to look to a higher power asking and praying for permission to live. Start thinking for yourself.

If the God you pray to exists, he/she is smart enough to see through your fake ID......and your name calling of others.

Your thinking is mired in shame and guilt, so subscribing to a particular religion can help you Preston, climb to a higher level of awareness.

BUSTED!

Clay

United States

#403567 Nov 20, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again Clay.
The "Church" you speak of was a Jewish sect for about the first 70 years. They worshiped in temples and prayed as Jews. No one thought Jesus was God. That would have been a BIG no-no for the Jews.
(We know this from Jewish writings of the day.)
After the fall off the Temple (when Christian Jews waited for Jesus to return as he promised), it wasn't so cool to be Jewish in the Roman world. The first Gospel was written and the Jewish term "son of God" took on a completely new meaning.
Sorry your faith requires so many easily verifiable lies.
huh??

I never heard that before. I welcome any links you could provide. Otherwise I have to dismiss you as
another bigot, who wishes things te be true, so you believe them.
Clay

United States

#403568 Nov 20, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
Reality 101 for the deniers....
"As shown by the numerous quotations in the New Testament books and other Christian writings of the 1st centuries, early Christians generally used and revered the Jewish Bible as Scripture... "
"Early Christians demonstrated a wide range of beliefs and practices, many of which were later rejected as heretical."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Christiani...
Nothing shocking there.
Keep reaching!
Clay

United States

#403569 Nov 20, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
"There was great diversity within the Christian movement during the first few decades after Jesus' execution. Some of Jesus' followers (and those who never met Jesus but who were inspired by his teachings) settled in Jerusalem. But others spread across the known world, teaching very different messages. "Even in the same geographical area and sometimes in the same cities, different Christian teachers taught quite different gospels and had quite different views of who Jesus was and what he did."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_chov.ht...
Again, nothing shocking here.
Do you think its a bombshell that Christians had different opinions in the first century? Lol

An Earthly authority determined the correct understandings. This authority was the Catholic Church with the Bishops ordained by the Apostles.
Anything else?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#403570 Nov 20, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>your right,it is a sad sight to see,if there was/is a true church you would not have to live in fear of it,or be afraid of physical abuse if you speak out against something the church does that you disagree with.
Organized religion teaches followers to fear being different, to fear standing up for yourself, and to fear being an independant thinker.

Organized beliefs erode your own self trust by explaining why you are unable to be successful in managing life on your own terms.

I am sure there were millions praying that hurricane Sandy would miss their community. Well it didn't. It was worse than anticipated. If it did change course, we would never hear the end of "OUR PRAYERS WERE ANSWERED" thankyou to God.

There are many religious people who actually believe a God is sitting up on a cloud somewhere watching down on humanity day after day answering prayers and denying others. Counting every sparrow that dies, recording every sin committed.

There are millions who believe their loved ones who have died have ALL GONE TO HEAVEN (never heard anyone at a funeral claim their loved ones have gone to hell) and they too spend day after day looking down from heaven watching over their families on planet earth. If that is what heaven is all about, I will take my chances in hell.(lol)

Clay

United States

#403571 Nov 20, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
http://www.religioustolerance. org/chr_chov.htm
The first Apostles didn't claim Jesus was a god.
"Jewish Christian movement: Jesus disciples and other followers who fled to the Galilee after Jesus' execution appear to have regrouped in Jerusalem under the leadership of James, one of Jesus' brothers. The group viewed themselves as a reform movement within Judaism. They organized a synagogue, worshiped and brought animals for ritual sacrifice at the Jerusalem Temple. They observed the Jewish holy days, practiced circumcision of their male children, strictly followed Kosher dietary laws, and practiced the teachings of Jesus as they interpreted them to be. They are frequently referred to today as the Jewish Christians.(These should not be confused with followers of modern-day Messianic Judaism who follow an evangelical Christian belief system)
"The Jewish Christians under James included many members who had had close relationship with Jesus. They believed that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. They viewed Jesus as a great prophet and rabbi, but not as a deity. There are many references in the New Testament to conflicts between the followers of Paul and the Jewish Christians."
Why do some RCC followers promote so many lies?
And today there are other cults as well.
There were heretic cults in the first century and every century since.
Any other shocking bombshells?

The hierarchy of Bishops, Priests and Deacons determined authenticity of Christian teachings. Through the Church and only the Church could Christ deliver His truth to the world.
Our Lord did not use sporadic cults to deliver His Ministry. Those cults lived and died, and the Church carried on. Different teachings fizzled away, the Truth prevailed.

What else does the 'Mind that is free' have to offer?
Never mind, you bore me. I would rather discuss theology with a block wall.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#403572 Nov 20, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Orville"
There may be no evidence of Holy Tongues spoken by Jesus, but they are certainly a gift from Holy Spirit.
John 14:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
""Then Peter said unto them, Repent "(have a change of mind)", and be baptized"" "(i.e. immersed)" every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." "- with the evidence of speaking in tongues - ACTS 2:38.
Tounges:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =G--h5ZfWvugXX
At least three times Jesus was quoted, then the writer said that "being INTERPRETED is..." NO tongues are unknown or strange to God.
As there are 6,000 tongues in the world, I doubt that any 'scholar' could even recognize all of them, much less could they interpret all of them. And THEN there are 'tongues of angels'.
KayMarie
Mark 16:20

20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and <<<<<confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.>>>>>

Paul and Barnabas went as usual into the <<<Jewish synagogue.>>> There they spoke so effectively that a great number of Jews and Greeks believed. But the ~~~~~Jews who refused to believe~~~~~ stirred up the other Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers.

Acts 14:3

3 Long time therefore abode they *speaking boldly in the Lord,* <<<<<which gave testimony unto the WORD of his grace,>>>>> and ~~~~~granted signs and wonders to be DONE BY THEIR HANDS.~~~~~
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#403573 Nov 20, 2012
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
And most of them sound like jibber to me but of course their not.
And of course unknown languages that cannot be interpreted have no meaning...
I believe some here are making this more difficult than it needs to be.
It is not difficult at all, Marge....

You just need discernment of the scriptures....

It is so simple...no one today has the power that was given to the apostles of the laying on of hands and giving someone the "gift to speak in tongues." NO ONE....

DO NOT BE DECEIVED....
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#403574 Nov 20, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing shocking there.
Keep reaching!
As you know there were many scriptures written. The catholic fathers from back in the day, have convinced the followers that they were instilled with "SPECIAL POWERS" to sort out the fraudulent gospels from the real McCoys. WOW!

Why would any gospel that described the life history of a man WHO ACTUALLY LIVED be deemed fraudulent?

Who writes books about an actual character who lived that was wrong?

Catholic agenda, by a handful of powerful religious men, who used the might and manpower of "General" Constantine to fight their cause to the death of others to further their cause.........WALLA! The catholic church evolves.

Sun Worship
The real secret of Constantine and the bishops of Rome was their cunning introduction of sun worship and paganism into Christianity. It was done so shrewdly that, and incredibly, it has been veiled within the faith for centuries. Through Constantine, paganism and Christianity joined hands in the Roman Empire.

Constantine a proud pagan probably said, its 324 AD, if you change the day of worship to the pagan sunday that I worship the sun god on, "I'M IN" Let the fighting begin.

UNBELIEVABLE!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#403575 Nov 20, 2012
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
And an angel of God would not speak contrary the the Word of God, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to deceive one born of Jesus, we go back to again, one must be born-again to know and see the kingdom of God.
Marge,

Are you saying that a Christian cannot be deceived????

If you believe this, Marge, you are SADLY mistaken...

Matthew 24:3-5

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the <<<disciples> >> came to him privately.“Tell us,” they said,“when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered:~~~“Watch out that no one deceives you.~~~

5 ***For many will come in my name, claiming,‘I am the Messiah,’ and <will deceive many.>***
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#403576 Nov 20, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
And today there are other cults as well.
There were heretic cults in the first century and every century since.
Any other shocking bombshells?
The hierarchy of Bishops, Priests and Deacons determined authenticity of Christian teachings. Through the Church and only the Church could Christ deliver His truth to the world.
Our Lord did not use sporadic cults to deliver His Ministry. Those cults lived and died, and the Church carried on. Different teachings fizzled away, the Truth prevailed.
What else does the 'Mind that is free' have to offer?
Never mind, you bore me. I would rather discuss theology with a block wall.
Clay says.......The hierarchy of Bishops, Priests and Deacons determined authenticity of Christian teachings.

So! A very few select Men from 17 centuries ago, that you know nothing in a personal way about, have convinced you 100% of what they said is the actual truth.

The pope today who is in succession of the men from 17 centuries ago that you admire so much, this pope CLAIMS he didn't know about the sex abuse scandals were being committed by his very own minions around the world for years........

I wish I had some swamp land for sale. I could describe it nicely and you would buy it all.

UNBELIEVABLE!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#403577 Nov 20, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, nothing shocking here.
Do you think its a bombshell that Christians had different opinions in the first century? Lol
An Earthly authority determined the correct understandings. This authority was the Catholic Church with the Bishops ordained by the Apostles.
Anything else?

When one becomes afraid or unwilling to assume total respnsibility for your own life, one who prays for permission to continue living, than you're a perfect match for organized religion. CONGRATULATIONS!
Clay

United States

#403578 Nov 20, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay says.......The hierarchy of Bishops, Priests and Deacons determined authenticity of Christian teachings.
So! A very few select Men from 17 centuries ago, that you know nothing in a personal way about, have convinced you 100% of what they said is the actual truth.
The pope today who is in succession of the men from 17 centuries ago that you admire so much, this pope CLAIMS he didn't know about the sex abuse scandals were being committed by his very own minions around the world for years........
I wish I had some swamp land for sale. I could describe it nicely and you would buy it all.
UNBELIEVABLE!
I find it so weird that you'll use any situation and any scenario to post about child sexual abuse.
Even if it has nothing to do with it, you'll find away to bring up this topic.
Sick and pathetic.

This is your life Mike.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#403579 Nov 20, 2012
Christians need to prepare themselves spiritually (BE AWARE AND BE WATCHFUL) so that they will not be taken in by false teachings.

2 Peter 2:1-3

1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will <<<SECRETLY>> > introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.

2 <<<<<Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.>>>>>

3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
Clay

United States

#403580 Nov 20, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
When one becomes afraid or unwilling to assume total respnsibility for your own life, one who prays for permission to continue living, than you're a perfect match for organized religion. CONGRATULATIONS!
Whoa. Are you saying I'm Catholic because I'm afraid of something? What is it, death?

Maybe that describes you and your reasons for leaving the Church. Perhaps you feel that if you can somehow demean the Church every single day, you can feel better about your choice.
(that annoying pillar of faith reminds too many people of the Truth in Jesus Christ)

For the record, I'm not Catholic because I read anything. I'm Catholic for lots of reasons, but especially because of the Holy Eucharist. I knew from a very early age there was something special about it. And I never even believed it was the actual body and blood until I was in my twenties.
Clay

United States

#403581 Nov 20, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
As you know there were many scriptures written. The catholic fathers from back in the day, have convinced the followers that they were instilled with "SPECIAL POWERS" to sort out the fraudulent gospels from the real McCoys. WOW!
Why would any gospel that described the life history of a man WHO ACTUALLY LIVED be deemed fraudulent?
Who writes books about an actual character who lived that was wrong?
Catholic agenda, by a handful of powerful religious men, who used the might and manpower of "General" Constantine to fight their cause to the death of others to further their cause.........WALLA! The catholic church evolves.
Sun Worship
The real secret of Constantine and the bishops of Rome was their cunning introduction of sun worship and paganism into Christianity. It was done so shrewdly that, and incredibly, it has been veiled within the faith for centuries. Through Constantine, paganism and Christianity joined hands in the Roman Empire.
Constantine a proud pagan probably said, its 324 AD, if you change the day of worship to the pagan sunday that I worship the sun god on, "I'M IN" Let the fighting begin.
UNBELIEVABLE!
Actually, Sunday Worship can be traced hundreds of yrs before Constantine.
Apostolic Father, Justin Martyr, wrote about the Catholic Mass in the first Century:
"on the day of the Sun, we gather together..."

I heard the Protestant lie that Constantine established the Catholic Church..
I suppose this lie was effective because Constantine was a pagan who converted. And he was the Emperor of Rome. Protestants needed to trash the Catholic Church so they made up a story about Constantine establishing the Mass, Sunday Worship, icons and statues, the Eucharist...
The list goes on.
The truth is: the Church converted Constantine. Not the other way around.
Paganism and Christianity were not joined together under him like you and Protestants claim.
We have writings and other evidence that shows the faith remarkably similar before and after Constantine.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#403582 Nov 20, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.There is a large piece with which this is done very publicly. This is called the Fraction Rite.
That would be the ideal for all of them, but not as practical. I suppose you could argue that it was "broken" by the stamping machine, but I din't really like that idea, and I don't know that that was done after baking, in any case.
The CDF is stricter than the Jews as to what constitutes "unleavened bread," insisting that we have 0% leaven, which makes producing a loaf not especially easy.
I would prefer we use the fairly simple "unleavened bread" many Jews do (strictly speaking, it usually has a tiny amount, not that they decided to "add only a small amount, but that they would have a small mass of dough which they NORMALLY would have added some "more" yeast to, but in the case of the Passover bread, they did not ADD any more. With this type of bread, you can tear it, and get few crumbs.(Think of a soft wheat-flour tortilla, and you will be pretty close to what I mean. We're not supposed to be using that, unfortunately.)
Being no baker, I may not truly understand this. I am only going by my best understanding of what one or two professors said about theorized baking practices among the Jews at the time of the Exodus.
I once had to celebrate mass using Wonder Bread.(I was horrified, but I wasn't going to cancel mass for the scouts just because *I* had failed to pick up the bag of communion breads off the back seat, when I transferred all the mass supplies from my little rollerskate car into the SUV.
Was that mass was technically breaking the rules, in some ways, I think the sign of the Eucharist was better expressed that in most masses, as EVERY piece of Holy Communion was quite obviously torn from a larger piece, and this IS the idea expression of the sign.
Still. Wonder Bread. Yuck.
I may miss Twinkies and Orange CupCakes, but I am sort of glad Wonder Bread is going away... ;-)
Rob
OK, I love my Twinkies...what can I say....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 36 min Gee-Tee 8,537
Voices: In Cuba, a new church, a ray of hope 4 hr Dan Winchester 3
Pope pushes back at creationists 15 hr SpaceBlues 1
Filipino Catholics hails new saints (Apr '14) Wed ELIAS IBARRA 47
Pope condemns gay equality laws (Feb '10) Wed kent 70
German Bishop: Gays a Condemned to Hella (Jun '10) Wed tonyintoronto 65
Vatican exorcism conference warns the Devil is ... Oct 27 Atheist Silurist 23

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE