Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 550,704
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
First Prev
of 27536
Next Last
Elizabeth

Akron, OH

#1 Jul 10, 2007
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Troy

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Jul 10, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
The fact that you said that the Pope's statement is making you 'seriously consider leaving the church', just reinforces why it does matter whether people are Catholic, methodist, lutheran, etc. Spiritual relativsm is not new, you and those like you, who believe that the truth of what the Church teaches is somehow subject to whether you agree with it or not are exactly why the Pope is saying what he is saying. He's not saying something new, it's what the Church has ALWAYS taught! Your comments are just proving the points that the Pope made in the homily he gave at conclave before his election: http://www.oecumene.radiovaticana.org/en1/Art...
You would do well to read this and anyone else who may be guilty of "being tossed to and fro by every wave of doctrine"... Eph. 4:14

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sheryl

Andover, NJ

#4 Jul 10, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
Elizabeth, I had to leave the church because of its air of superiority, and for many other reasons. Of course Benedict's statement will only hurt the church. He has hurt a LOT of people by saying what he did.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Upon THIS Rock MY Church

Mishawaka, IN

#5 Jul 10, 2007
Troy wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that you said that the Pope's statement is making you 'seriously consider leaving the church', just reinforces why it does matter whether people are Catholic, methodist, lutheran, etc. Spiritual relativsm is not new, you and those like you, who believe that the truth of what the Church teaches is somehow subject to whether you agree with it or not are exactly why the Pope is saying what he is saying. He's not saying something new, it's what the Church has ALWAYS taught! Your comments are just proving the points that the Pope made in the homily he gave at conclave before his election: http://www.oecumene.radiovaticana.org/en1/Art...
You would do well to read this and anyone else who may be guilty of "being tossed to and fro by every wave of doctrine"... Eph. 4:14
Great post, Troy. Thanks for the link, as well.

God bless.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
xgolfer

Newington, CT

#6 Jul 10, 2007
Like one of his predecessors he'll soon be announcing his support for the "final solution"

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sheryl

Andover, NJ

#7 Jul 10, 2007
xgolfer wrote:
Like one of his predecessors he'll soon be announcing his support for the "final solution"
And then they'll canonize him.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“It Ain't Easy Being Me”

Since: Jun 07

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jul 10, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
What bothers you about this statement Elizabeth? I really think you are misinterpreting the statement.

He is not saying you can't believe as methodist, lutheran, etc. He is merely saying the Catholic church is the true church of Christ. It doesn't mean anyone is being excluded from salvation.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
keltec 9mm

United States

#9 Jul 10, 2007
Valkyrian Ride:
Roman Catholic church the only true church, huh? Well, if the pope knew anything about history, he'd know that, although Martin Luther was German, the biggest followers of the protestent beliefs were the dutch and the english (I am both). And they kicked catholic butt. And if you go to Holland (Netherlands) even today, the catholics are not welcome there. So keep saying thing like that, pope, and we'll kick your a** AGAIN.>>>>

So who would want to be English or Dutch anyway? One sounds worse than the other. As an added note the nazis made medallions and coins of Martin Luther who was a virulent anti- semitic.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
keltec 9mm

United States

#10 Jul 10, 2007
Like one of his predecessors he'll soon be announcing his support for the "final solution" >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Germany of course was a Protestant nation.
Hitler was elected by a Protestant majority and a Catholic minority.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Luke

Atlanta, GA

#11 Jul 10, 2007
Troy wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen Troy, it is what the Church has always taught and it's high time they re-asserted it. Vatican II caused a lot of confusion and I, for one am glad that some corrective measures are being taken.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Luke

Atlanta, GA

#12 Jul 10, 2007
keltec 9mm wrote:
Valkyrian Ride:
Roman Catholic church the only true church, huh? Well, if the pope knew anything about history, he'd know that, although Martin Luther was German, the biggest followers of the protestent beliefs were the dutch and the english (I am both). And they kicked catholic butt. And if you go to Holland (Netherlands) even today, the catholics are not welcome there. So keep saying thing like that, pope, and we'll kick your a** AGAIN.>>>>
So who would want to be English or Dutch anyway? One sounds worse than the other. As an added note the nazis made medallions and coins of Martin Luther who was a virulent anti- semitic.
And where was Martin Luther when the Church first started and what Church did he spring from? Well, it wasn't the Protestant faith, LOL!

They are the largest religious body IN the Netherlands. While we may not be welcomed there, looks like they are having to deal with us.

http://www.indexmundi.com/netherlands/religio...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tyrone Neuse

Naperville, IL

#13 Jul 10, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
I agree and I find it sad that Pope Moron XVI was even chosen as Pope. The guy is an embarrassment and needs to step down. His statements are ridiculous and improper.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
YC Garrett

Kansas City, MO

#14 Jul 10, 2007
Has Elizabeth been living in a cave? The catholic church has always been hateful and prejudiced. The present pope said last year that the Protestant Church is the scourge of Christianity. Awe yes, wise words from the leader of a loving church. Gee, what would Jesus say. Obviously the pope hasn't a clue!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Luke

Atlanta, GA

#15 Jul 10, 2007
YC Garrett wrote:
Has Elizabeth been living in a cave? The catholic church has always been hateful and prejudiced. The present pope said last year that the Protestant Church is the scourge of Christianity. Awe yes, wise words from the leader of a loving church. Gee, what would Jesus say. Obviously the pope hasn't a clue!
Exactly WHERE did he say that? Please back up your claim with documentation.

Before people go nuts over this why don't you all try reading the actual document?

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregatio...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Peter Jeong

Naperville, IL

#16 Jul 10, 2007
Luke wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly WHERE did he say that? Please back up your claim with documentation.
Before people go nuts over this why don't you all try reading the actual document?
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregatio...
Luke, it is not the responsibility of the CUSTOMER to have to read between the lines to see what that idiot "really meant". The reality is in today's world the church needs to get better at communicating with its CUSTOMERS and needs to not make such boneheaded statements.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
keltec 9mm

United States

#17 Jul 10, 2007
YC Garrett:
Gee, what would Jesus say. Obviously the pope hasn't a clue! >>>

What do you mean what would Jesus say, He already said it

" Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"
Matthew 16:17-19

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
keltec 9mm

United States

#19 Jul 10, 2007
Valkyrian Ride:
They also branded Mel Gibson as an anti-semite just for making that movie. And yes, Gibson made anti-semitic remarks last year, but I believe it was because they backed him into a corner. They drew first blood.>>>>

Martin Luther wrote a book called 'On the Jews and Their Lies"

The following is from Wikiquote which is is run by the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a US-registered 501(c)(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity

On the Jews and Their Lies (German: Von den Juden und ihren Lügen) is a treatise written in January 1543 by Martin Luther, the German theologian, in which he advocated harsh persecution of the Jewish people. Four centuries later, the Nazis used quotations from this pamphlet to justify their Final Solution.
Sheryl

Andover, NJ

#21 Jul 10, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
Benedict has managed to make millions of people furious twice in a row in a very short time. He wants the prayer returned to Mass which calls for the conversion of the Jews because they're in "darkness"...then the prideful "vicar" publicly states that the Protestant churches aren't true churches at all and can't provide the means to salvation. I have never heard such uncharitable remarks from a pope. He needs a lesson in humility. He has hurt MANY people, but I'ms sure it won't bother him one bit...after all, he's the modern-day Jesus!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
keltec 9mm

United States

#23 Jul 10, 2007
Valkyrian ride:
Yes, He said I will build MY church, MY church (Christ's Church) not the Pope's church or the RC church. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

He built His church on Peter the first pope of the Roman Catholic church.

When GOD gave authority to someone in Scripture, HE changed the name of that person.

GOD renamed Abram to Abraham when He made him the 'Father of a Multitude of Nations', in Gen 17:5. HE gave Abraham 'primacy' over all other men.

GOD renamed Sara to Sarah when HE made her the 'Mother of Nations' in Gen 17:15-16. HE gave Sarah 'primacy' over all other women.

GOD renamed Jacob to Israel, the name of the Jewish Nation, and Jacob became the first Israeli in Gen 32:29.

GOD renamed Simon to Peter in Matt 16:18, thus giving him 'primacy' over all of the Apostles. Why else would GOD give a new name to Simon?

Peter, who is called 'the rock on which the church should be built,' who also obtained 'the keys of the kingdom of heaven...'”
Tertullian, On the Prescription Against the Heretics, 22 (c. A.D. 200).

"Peter, upon whom is built the Church of Christ, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail, left only one epistle of acknowledged genuinity. Let us concede also a second, which however is doubtful."
Origen (Commentaries on John 5,3)(240 AD)

It is Peter himself that He says, "You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church.' Where Peter is, there is the Church. And where the Church, no death is there, but life eternal."
Ambrose( Commentaries on Twelve of David's Psalms 40,30)(375 AD)

"I follow no leader but Christ and join in communion with none but your blessedness, that is the chair of Peter. I know that this is the rock on which the Church has been built. Whoever eats the Lamb outside this house is profane. Anyone who is not in the ark of Noah will perish when the flood prevails...He that is joined to the chair of Peter is accepted by me."
Jerome, Letter to Pope Damasus 15:2, 374 A.D.

"Peter himself the chief of the Apostles, the first in the Church, the friend of Christ, who received a revelation not from man, but from the Father, as the Lord bears witness to him, saying,'Blessed are thou, Simon Bar-Jona, because flesh and bone hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven'; this very Peter,- and when I name Peter, the great Apostles, I name that unbroken rock, that firm foundation, the great Apostle, the first of the disciples, the first called and the first who obeyed."
John Chrysostom (Homily 3 de Poenit. 4)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gunslinger

Montgomery, AL

#24 Jul 10, 2007
Hell, I've been saying that Catholics are the only folks who do not piss God off for three months now. About time the Pope picked up on my lead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27536
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Mr Sir 8,536
Pope pushes back at creationists 8 hr SpaceBlues 1
Filipino Catholics hails new saints (Apr '14) 17 hr ELIAS IBARRA 47
Pope condemns gay equality laws (Feb '10) Wed kent 70
German Bishop: Gays a Condemned to Hella (Jun '10) Wed tonyintoronto 65
Vatican exorcism conference warns the Devil is ... Mon Atheist Silurist 23
Pope to visit Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia in Turkey Oct 21 Serkan Turkbayram 6

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE