Catholicism offshoot dissolves after scandals | The Columbus Di...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

An independent Catholic denomination with its global headquarters in Columbus has disbanded, having been torn apart after publicity about the criminal backgrounds of its top leader and a former priest.
Comments
61 - 70 of 70 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Holiday Faith

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Monettan wrote:
Yet another phony found out at last. Maybe he will repent in his Heart, but somehow I doubt it. But I bet some of his followers will go back to Church (Yes, the One True Church) with the realization of coming back Home.
What is "The One True Church"? If you read The Bible closely you will see we ALL are one, united in the love of Christ. The bible does not define on denomination nor one "True" church.
Hello there

North Sioux City, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

To me, this article still missed the very troubling situation with regard to the church's elevation of one "Barney Canada" as education director(?) of the church, and placing him in that position with full knowledge of his criminal enterprises. Canada has three felony fraud convictions, and is currently under indictment for swindling folks in Florida and other places. Not just a clergy mind you, elevated by Zimmerman and his circle of bishops to the title of monsignor, and given a position of authority in the church, all the while still immersed in the sinfull and fraudulent schemes that would lead to his arrest. That's not the kind of leadership I want in my church, neither him, nor those who put him there, or agreed to keep him there.
philt

Port Orchard, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2009

I never did see any information regarding the actual number of parishioners that classified themselves as "Reformed Catholics". The former blog site had several pictures of men/women attired as priests/bishops etc, but what was lacking was an audience. Did anyone--outside of the clergy--actually attend these installations/masses/celebrati ons? The more I probed, the more I was convinced that this entire establishment was nothing more than one big con job. And now with its sudden collapse, I have my answer.
Redistributor

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2009

Robert wrote:
You rob people of money by offering them heaven only to give it to people you put in hell.
Hey, that sounds like Obama's economic plan!!
Monettan

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

This story is just an example of people being misled by Satan's power. Con artists pretending to be Catholic!! Glad the morons got caught.
MHS

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

Judged:

Sterling Silver wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey sparky, "god" is non-existent BECAUSE my wife's brain hasn't been fixed. Guess the way I originally phrased it was way too subtle for you. Literally hundreds of people prayed for her recovery (she was a teacher), and eleven years later I'm still waiting. So I don't think a prayer from someone who doesn't even know her is going to be real effective, but you do what you think you gotta do. Finally, yes I thank these people personally, not that it's any of your business.
God always answers our prayer. It just may not be in the way we hoped for.
St_Charles_Prep_ 12

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Leave Msgr. Maloney alone. He is a great man, and only intends to do good. Next to Dominic J. Cavello, he is the most influential man in the Diocese of Columbus, and he takes his position with love and care. If he has ever made any mistake, it must have been on accident,he is a human being. He's not he pope. He truly cares about doing the right thing, and if he was bishop he could and would do more good than anyone in the state. He has his orders, and he must follow them. Whatever he did that seems wrong to you, he must have either reluctantly done it, or tried to do the right thing he thought was right at the time
Matt

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

still thankfull wrote:
As I watched my father passing the last 2 yrs of his life,one thing I will always remember is the comfort and assistance provided to him by Mr.Zimmerman and others from the Church.
I myself am not a religious person but I saw the effect that this had on my father. And regardless a of past transgressions, I will remain thankful to Father Phil.
SG from OHIO is crazy!
Todd

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

TimH wrote:
1) One can not be Catholic without recognizing the role of the Pope. That is central to the faith.
2) Homosexuality is CLEARLY defined as a sin in the bible.
Please read the entire book you are quote as the same chapter CLEARLY states you can stone your wife, sell your daughter into slavery, don't mix fabrics, and no pork or shell fish...are you condemning all?
Todd

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

philt wrote:
I never did see any information regarding the actual number of parishioners that classified themselves as "Reformed Catholics". The former blog site had several pictures of men/women attired as priests/bishops etc, but what was lacking was an audience. Did anyone--outside of the clergy--actually attend these installations/masses/celebrati ons? The more I probed, the more I was convinced that this entire establishment was nothing more than one big con job. And now with its sudden collapse, I have my answer.
There were many members and the greatest number served were the homeless every Sunday with food and clothing. It was a wonderful, religious experience that brought me closer to God and was proud to be a member and married in that amazing church. Father Phillip may have been a flawed man, but he was a child of God and spoke from the heart and was not a con artist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Pope Benedict XVI Forum right now

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 20 min Liam 532,693
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 26 min Ecko 8,135
More Thu True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Thu Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Thu ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••