Catholicism offshoot dissolves after scandals | The Columbus Di...

There are 70 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 4, 2009, titled Catholicism offshoot dissolves after scandals | The Columbus Di.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

An independent Catholic denomination with its global headquarters in Columbus has disbanded, having been torn apart after publicity about the criminal backgrounds of its top leader and a former priest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
tigerhunt

Columbus, OH

#1 Dec 4, 2009
ooohhh... criminals in the (a?) Catholic Church... gee - it's a surprise!

Guilty of fraud? All religions are a fraud!
sister susie

Dublin, OH

#2 Dec 4, 2009
Wow. What a mess. And how about this line from a "man of the cloth", "...,and now it's like,'Oh my God,..." What a bogus bunch of charlatans.
Liberty

Delphos, OH

#3 Dec 4, 2009
Seems like there are plenty of perverts and shady people in all these denominations.

I always remember the famous saying attributed to the Rev. Ike in Detroit. "Money is the root of all evil so send me that evil."

And the 60's song "Pastor, why should I give you 10 dollars when you have $10,000 (Rolex) on you wrist."

Doesn't much matter if it is the Catholic Church, Jim and Tamy Faye, Jimmy Swaggert, Oral Roberts kid, the family enterprise at Harvest Temple and many others; they should do more praying and set a true example rather than being involved in greed and sinful behavior.
TimH

Columbus, OH

#4 Dec 4, 2009
1) One can not be Catholic without recognizing the role of the Pope. That is central to the faith.

2) Homosexuality is CLEARLY defined as a sin in the bible.
Angry Young American

Circleville, OH

#5 Dec 4, 2009
Although I certainly have no leanings towards little children, I think I'll start my own offshoot of the Catholic Church. Maybe buy a vacant storefront in New Rome and lord it over a bunch of gays and old ladies who want to play Mass every Sunday while I watch those tax-free donations roll in.
Every Mothers Son

Willoughby, OH

#8 Dec 4, 2009
"Those loyal to Zimmerman say that disgruntled former clergy members launched baseless attacks in an effort to take power."

Uhhhh, baseless charges?
Robert

Columbus, OH

#9 Dec 4, 2009
You know Small Minded, there is probably a reason why you don't see Atheists doing stuff like that. How about the fact that very Atheist organization has to fight to just stay alive from christian zealots, Atheists don't have the advantage of millions of blind followers with check books and most Atheist groups do not declare everything tax free. Not to mention the christians still have a lot of making up to do for all those lives they have destroyed in the last 2000 years. And how do you pay to do all those works of kindness? You rob people of money by offering then heaven only to give it to people you put in hell.
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#10 Dec 4, 2009
I would say this denomination was guilty of false advertising in it's name. It is not "Catholic" in the popular definition by any stretch of the imagination. It's a play on a well known name in order to enjoy some delusion of grandour.

Kind of like being athiest and celebrating Thanksgiving. Who exactly is our secular culture thanking, and for what?
Joseph

Columbus, OH

#12 Dec 4, 2009
Parasite Government wrote:
I would say this denomination was guilty of false advertising in it's name. It is not "Catholic" in the popular definition by any stretch of the imagination. It's a play on a well known name in order to enjoy some delusion of grandour.
Kind of like being athiest and celebrating Thanksgiving. Who exactly is our secular culture thanking, and for what?
we can be thankful without attributing it to some sort of super daddy god, of course you see yourself made in god's image than the reality that you've made god in yours.
Father Benedict Arnold

Evart, MI

#13 Dec 4, 2009
How many lies will Zimmerman continue to tell? Now he plays the role of victim. He's lucky if he had 500 "members" worldwide. The so-called parishes in Ohio are nothing more than "clergy" sitting in their bedrooms. Anyone who claims to be ordained by Zimmerman is not valid in the eyes of even the independent catholic churches nationwide. There are only a few legitimate valid independent catholic churches in ohio....Zimmerman's cult was never one of them. Simply a legend in his own ego maniac mind...lol
danburyman

United States

#15 Dec 4, 2009
It's whats in your heart to live your life by. not what some parisite in a pulpit tells you to do. If you believe in god,in your heart,you will be saved! all the rest is B.S.!
Sterling Silver

Columbus, OH

#16 Dec 4, 2009
Small minded people wrote:
Plenty of them on this board.
Whether you agree with religion or not, one thing you cannot deny is the good that is done in their communities. Do you see any atheist opening schools for the blind? Manning soup kitchens and food lines? Do you see them building houses in Haiti? Do you see them clothing and housing the poor? No, you don't. But you continually see them coming on boards like this and demeaning those that do. Where is the real evil?
I never fail to note how well people pick their posting names. This person is a case in point. Apparently he/she isn't aware of the hundreds of secular NGOs that do work for the less fortunate.
Sterling Silver

Columbus, OH

#18 Dec 4, 2009
I thank the people who helped my life in the past year. I sure as hell am not thanking some non-existent god who could fix my wife's brain injury but chooses not to.
Christian Realist

Columbus, OH

#19 Dec 4, 2009
Whether you agree with religion or not, one thing you cannot deny is the good that is done in their communities. Do you see any atheist opening schools for the blind? Manning soup kitchens and food lines? Do you see them building houses in Haiti? Do you see them clothing and housing the poor? No, you don't. But you continually see them coming on boards like this and demeaning those that do. Where is the real evil?
Are you familiar with the passage in which someone cals Jesus "good", and he answers "Why do you call me good? No one is good, except for the Father."

I think that is the problem with us Christians now-a-days. We think because we wear the name hristian, we think we're perfect. Goodness is relative, and just because we do SOME good in the community does not make us good people.
Christian Realist

Columbus, OH

#20 Dec 4, 2009
... kind of like you calling yourself a Christian, but not resembling Jesus in attitude one iota.

Hypocrite!
My thoughts

Columbus, OH

#21 Dec 4, 2009
Sterling Silver wrote:
<quoted text>
I thank the people who helped my life in the past year. I sure as hell am not thanking some non-existent god who could fix my wife's brain injury but chooses not to.
Boy this explains a lot about the posts I read from you. So in celebrating Thanksgiving are you personally speaking with them? If so, that's great. Your statement "I sure as hell am not thanking some non-existent god who could fix my wife's brain injury but chooses not to." That is pretty contradictory. A "non-existent god" and a God that chooses not to heal your wife. Sounds very conflicted to me. Even though you don't believe, I as always will keep you and your wife in my prayers.
Observer

New York, NY

#22 Dec 4, 2009
List of secular and atheist charities found here: http://techskeptic.blogspot.com/2007/12/athei...
Daniel Fischer

Lima, OH

#23 Dec 4, 2009
I was taught (as a christian) that GOD was all forgiving. Why can't christians adopt the same philosophy?
Sterling Silver

Grove City, OH

#25 Dec 4, 2009
My thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy this explains a lot about the posts I read from you. So in celebrating Thanksgiving are you personally speaking with them? If so, that's great. Your statement "I sure as hell am not thanking some non-existent god who could fix my wife's brain injury but chooses not to." That is pretty contradictory. A "non-existent god" and a God that chooses not to heal your wife. Sounds very conflicted to me. Even though you don't believe, I as always will keep you and your wife in my prayers.
Hey sparky, "god" is non-existent BECAUSE my wife's brain hasn't been fixed. Guess the way I originally phrased it was way too subtle for you. Literally hundreds of people prayed for her recovery (she was a teacher), and eleven years later I'm still waiting. So I don't think a prayer from someone who doesn't even know her is going to be real effective, but you do what you think you gotta do. Finally, yes I thank these people personally, not that it's any of your business.
Got It Right

Columbus, OH

#26 Dec 4, 2009
Just read these post! Nothing like a story about religion to bring out the extremist bloggers: atheist, pagans, sodomites, miss-fits and looney-tunes. Incredible!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min USA Born 589,963
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) 34 min QUITTNER May 25 2015 6
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Sat pazuzu 61
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Gee-Tee 9,391
News Pope Francis endorses Catholic climate petition May 23 Passing thru 8
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) May 22 KristoFMYsagun 10
News Francis expects short papacy May 21 ELIAS IBARRA 12
More from around the web