Pope Francis joins the Catholic civil war

Sep 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Journal

Pope Francis has put the world's 1.1 billion Catholics on notice that major changes are on the way.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2013

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#1 Sep 24, 2013
For a MAJORITY of its existence, the Roman Catholic Church allowed its priests, and other officials, to be married. So in the history of the RCC, an unmarried clergy is a "recent" requirement.

If THIS requirement is not changed first (which can be done by the Pope at any time on his mere say so), then I don't see anything else on the horizon changing also.
achyfi

Arlington, MA

#2 Sep 24, 2013
This idiot writer has completely misunderstood what the Pope said - probably because he was too lazy read the actual interview but wrote his column based on someone else's column.

The Pope did NOT say that the Church is going to change its teachings on contraception, abortion and homosexuality. What he said was simply that he wants the Church to stop speaking out so much on those issues and focus more on the Church's spiritual message and helping the poor.

As for the priestly celibacy requirement - This began in the Middle Ages when bishops lived off the tithes from their dioceses, and tried to pass the dioceses on to their sons like personal property. The Church decided that bishops could not marry in order to prevent this abuse. The rule didn't apply to ordinary priests until the 12th century, and thus still does not apply to them in the Eastern Orthodox Church. Most other Christian denominations not only do not forbid their clergy to marry, but actually encourage it.

There would appear to be no purpose in continuing the priestly celibacy requirement in the modern era. The Church has already allowed Orthodox and Anglican clergy who convert to Catholicism to remain married. At some point, the Church will face a choice between change and extinction.

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#3 Sep 24, 2013
achyfi wrote:
This idiot writer has completely misunderstood what the Pope said - probably because he was too lazy read the actual interview but wrote his column based on someone else's column.
The Pope did NOT say that the Church is going to change its teachings on contraception, abortion and homosexuality. What he said was simply that he wants the Church to stop speaking out so much on those issues and focus more on the Church's spiritual message and helping the poor.
As for the priestly celibacy requirement - This began in the Middle Ages when bishops lived off the tithes from their dioceses, and tried to pass the dioceses on to their sons like personal property. The Church decided that bishops could not marry in order to prevent this abuse. The rule didn't apply to ordinary priests until the 12th century, and thus still does not apply to them in the Eastern Orthodox Church. Most other Christian denominations not only do not forbid their clergy to marry, but actually encourage it.
There would appear to be no purpose in continuing the priestly celibacy requirement in the modern era. The Church has already allowed Orthodox and Anglican clergy who convert to Catholicism to remain married. At some point, the Church will face a choice between change and extinction.
Good post. The RCC also allows some Roman Catholic married men, born and raised RCC, to become priests and remain married, by special dispensation. But for some stupid reason they are not allowed to have sex with their wives.(They're on the "honor system" and we all know how well that has worked out for Roman Catholic priests. LOL)
SHYKORA arts paul

Calgary, Canada

#4 Sep 25, 2013
..Vhaat ??...no civil war ,here...
Catholic Girl

Linthicum Heights, MD

#5 Sep 27, 2013
Another wonderful day in the neighborhood. Got to admire Pope Francis. He is right, we can keep on pursuing these issues like abortion, same sex marriage, contraception and what ever else that has been popular these past few decades. We have the message, straighten up and fly right, praise Jesus, so we hopefully will end up in that wonderful place called "heaven". So lets get on with other things like the real spiritual stuff, like pray for mercy, peace, love of fellow man, thank your guardian angel for watching over you. Tell us how to pray for these things. The world could use some good chants, song, etc. some tune that you can't get out of your head. All so we can praise our Lord, Jesus Christ on a daily basis. Isn't this what Jesus really wants, is to be remembered, cherished, loved, glorified. of course He does. Lets get started doing something for our creator on a daily basis.
Blessed Be God Forever...

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#6 Sep 27, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
Another wonderful day in the neighborhood. Got to admire Pope Francis. He is right, we can keep on pursuing these issues like abortion, same sex marriage, contraception and what ever else that has been popular these past few decades. We have the message, straighten up and fly right, praise Jesus, so we hopefully will end up in that wonderful place called "heaven". So lets get on with other things like the real spiritual stuff, like pray for mercy, peace, love of fellow man, thank your guardian angel for watching over you. Tell us how to pray for these things. The world could use some good chants, song, etc. some tune that you can't get out of your head. All so we can praise our Lord, Jesus Christ on a daily basis. Isn't this what Jesus really wants, is to be remembered, cherished, loved, glorified. of course He does. Lets get started doing something for our creator on a daily basis.
Blessed Be God Forever...
"goof chants" ???!!! Are you kidding me ?! THIS is what Catholics think is gong to get them into heaven ?!

THIS is part of exactly what's wrong with the Roman Catholic Church !
eric cartman

Portland, OR

#7 Sep 27, 2013
Who cares what the pope says or thinks?I sure don't. This is one of the worse religions out there. Why there are still people catholic baffles me.?

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#8 Sep 27, 2013
achyfi wrote:
What he said was simply that he wants the Church to stop speaking out so much on those issues...
Hmmm... For several decades the church didn't say anything about molesting the kids; and look how THAT turned out.
achyfi

Arlington, MA

#10 Sep 27, 2013
eric cartman wrote:
Who cares what the pope says or thinks?I sure don't. This is one of the worse religions out there. Why there are still people catholic baffles me.?
Apparently you do care, since you read this thread.
achyfi

Arlington, MA

#11 Sep 27, 2013
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm... For several decades the church didn't say anything about molesting the kids; and look how THAT turned out.
You almost articulated a point there, but somehow you didn't.
eric cartman

United States

#12 Sep 27, 2013
What kind of retarded logic is that? I read something so I care? You should talk about things you know about.--- like having girls piss on you.
Catholic Girl

Linthicum Heights, MD

#13 Sep 28, 2013
Well, topix hasn't changed since I left. silly people. God is great!! Wolf Wolf...yes chants may help get you into heaven...why not give it a try, perhaps the Holy Spirit will come knocking at our soul....
Have a good evening.
SHYKORA arts PAUL

Calgary, Canada

#14 Sep 29, 2013
SHYKORA arts paul wrote:
..Vhaat ??...no civil war ,here...
..this is a ''propaganda hype..by the ..enimies of the church..!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min seriously the ori... 539,011
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Thu Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Aug 27 Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••