Pope Excommunicates Priest Who Supports LGBT, Women's Rights

Sep 25, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Nearly a week after Pope Francis made international headlines for saying the Catholic Church is "obsessed" with abortion rights and gays, reports now say the pontiff excommunicated a priest who advocates for women's rights and marriage equality, Time magazine reports.

Comments
1 - 20 of 137 Comments Last updated Oct 19, 2013
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Same old, same old. I certainly hope nobody is surprised by this. I'm not surprised at all.

btw, when a sinner came to Jesus, when did He ever excommunicate them ?
Pedobear Gollan

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

1

I think its about time we had rights for pedophile ex school teachers like me.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Fa-Foxy wrote:
Same old, same old. I certainly hope nobody is surprised by this. I'm not surprised at all.
btw, when a sinner came to Jesus, when did He ever excommunicate them ?
Well there is one thing for sure
.
Pope and Jesus will never be drinking buddies at this rate

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Well there is one thing for sure
.
Pope and Jesus will never be drinking buddies at this rate
Do you think that Jesus knocked a few brewskies back after work at the local brewhaus with his buddies after a hard day of work at "Joseph & Jesus Discount All-Wood Furniture Shop" (WHOLESASLE TO THE PUBLIC !:)(closed Saturday))?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Pedobear Gollan wrote:
I think its about time we had rights for pedophile ex school teachers like me.
You already have full civil rights equality
.
That and a 152inch flatscreen is as good as it gets; there isn't anything more
Pedobear Gollan

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that Jesus knocked a few brewskies back after work at the local brewhaus with his buddies after a hard day of work at "Joseph & Jesus Discount All-Wood Furniture Shop" (WHOLESASLE TO THE PUBLIC !:)(closed Saturday))?
I used to get wood a lot when I was a teacher.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 25, 2013
 
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that Jesus knocked a few brewskies back after work at the local brewhaus with his buddies after a hard day of work at "Joseph & Jesus Discount All-Wood Furniture Shop" (WHOLESASLE TO THE PUBLIC !:)(closed Saturday))?
Most definitely!
.
Pictures don't lie
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bassano/...

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Most definitely!
.
Pictures don't lie
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bassano/...
For a very long time, Jesus has always been portrayed as a carpenter. But I read something a year or two ago that argued something differently, which I believe is a much better argument than the carpenter theory.

Firstly, the Greek word traditionally translated into modern English as "carpenter" is actually more accurately translated as "builder" (Hence the "Joseph & Jesus General Contractors, Co., Inc. Call NAzareth-1-6666 "From outdoor suburban patios to pyramids we do it ALL ! WHOLESALE TOT HE PUBLIC !").

And since people use things similes and analogies with which they are most familiar with, AND the fact that Jesus often spoke about rock and stone (He called the disciple "Cephas", "Peter", which is Greek for "rock". He was calling him "Rocky" because apparently he was a TOUGH guy.), a much better argument is made I think that Jesus was in fact a mason, and not a carpenter.

I find this argument convincing.

And btw, when "strong drink" is mentioned in the bible, the writer is almost certainly talking about beer, because what we call "strong drink" nowadays, i.e. "hard liquor" such as whisky, vodka, rum, etc., did not exist at the time. These liquors are made by the process of distillation (i.e. using a "still"), and the distillation of alcohol was not invented until the Middle Ages in about the 12 century CE.
Humblepie

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Most definitely!
.
Pictures don't lie
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bassano/...
That was a good party

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I suspect the fact that this ex-priest also started his own new religious sect had something to do with it.

But no one with any sense should read more into what Pope Francis said, then what he actually SAID. There are no forthcoming weddings in Catholic Cathedrals, and abortion will never be accepted.

The only difference may by in the tone of the voices in the church, and a slightly different focus, not any kind of wholesale changes. Maybe a bit less active persecution.

Better than nothing, but not a sea change.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Pope Francis isn't truley a Catholic or else he wouldn't support gay marriage. He cares more about his image. He's obviously an Atheist pretending to be a Catholic.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Quest wrote:
I suspect the fact that this ex-priest also started his own new religious sect had something to do with it.
But no one with any sense should read more into what Pope Francis said, then what he actually SAID. There are no forthcoming weddings in Catholic Cathedrals, and abortion will never be accepted.
The only difference may by in the tone of the voices in the church, and a slightly different focus, not any kind of wholesale changes. Maybe a bit less active persecution.
Better than nothing, but not a sea change.
I agree.

And I still don't understand why so many LGBT people are Roman Catholics. It's like a black American joining the KKK. It doesn't make sense to me.

ESPECIALLY when The Episcopal Church is accepting of LGBT people, and the times that I have been to a TEC worship service, I have found it indistinguishable from a Roman Catholic service.

(I was raised in The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, and while the Missouri Synod services are formal, there not nearly as formal as RCC or TEC.)
Mohammad Gollan

Kyrgyzstan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I cant wait for child marriage.
Duh I heard that

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Hate Preacher wrote:
Pope Francis isn't truley a Catholic or else he wouldn't support gay marriage. He cares more about his image. He's obviously an Atheist pretending to be a Catholic.
Yep its not hard to just walk in and become the pope

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Duh I heard that wrote:
<quoted text>Yep its not hard to just walk in and become the pope
He originally was Catholic then lost faith but since he was devout for so long Catholocism has become a part of his life. He doesn't believe in Carholoicism but practices it like a culture.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mohammad Gollan wrote:
I cant wait for child marriage.
"Child marriage" ??? There is only "marriage".

And children can marry in all states and jurisdictions of the U.S., and in almost all countries as far as I know.

In fact, as a New Yorker, I remember in the early 80's when New York LOWERED the minimum age for males to marry to 14 years.

Minimum ages for marriage in U.S. states and around the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age
Duh I heard that

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Hate Preacher wrote:
<quoted text>
He originally was Catholic then lost faith but since he was devout for so long Catholocism has become a part of his life. He doesn't believe in Carholoicism but practices it like a culture.
Thtas pretty stupid even from a muzzie, back to making suicide vests for you carpet sniffer

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 25, 2013
 
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
For a very long time, Jesus has always been portrayed as a carpenter. But I read something a year or two ago that argued something differently, which I believe is a much better argument than the carpenter theory.
Firstly, the Greek word traditionally translated into modern English as "carpenter" is actually more accurately translated as "builder" (Hence the "Joseph & Jesus General Contractors, Co., Inc. Call NAzareth-1-6666 "From outdoor suburban patios to pyramids we do it ALL ! WHOLESALE TOT HE PUBLIC !").
And since people use things similes and analogies with which they are most familiar with, AND the fact that Jesus often spoke about rock and stone (He called the disciple "Cephas", "Peter", which is Greek for "rock". He was calling him "Rocky" because apparently he was a TOUGH guy.), a much better argument is made I think that Jesus was in fact a mason, and not a carpenter.
I find this argument convincing.
And btw, when "strong drink" is mentioned in the bible, the writer is almost certainly talking about beer, because what we call "strong drink" nowadays, i.e. "hard liquor" such as whisky, vodka, rum, etc., did not exist at the time. These liquors are made by the process of distillation (i.e. using a "still"), and the distillation of alcohol was not invented until the Middle Ages in about the 12 century CE.
Sorry, but you're wrong about that last.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 25, 2013
 
This Excomm was entirely predictable. The last pucker to sit in the chair gave the warning and the sentence. This one has to carry it out.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 25, 2013
 
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but you're wrong about that last.
Nope. Distillation of alcohol was invented in the 12th century CE.

The distillation of water was invented BC.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••