New archbishop of Glasgow under fire ...

New archbishop of Glasgow under fire for remarks about death of gay MP

There are 25 comments on the The Guardian story from Jul 25, 2012, titled New archbishop of Glasgow under fire for remarks about death of gay MP. In it, The Guardian reports that:

A conservative Catholic just appointed as archbishop of Glasgow has been condemned for appearing to link the death of a Labour MP last year with his homosexuality.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Guardian.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Jul 25, 2012
When catholics start forcing their lunacy upon non-catholics its time to draw the line

Since: Jan 08

Sriracha, Thailand

#2 Jul 25, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
When catholics start forcing their lunacy upon non-catholics its time to draw the line
They've been doing it successfully for years, Dear. It's time to make them understand it's got to stop. Won't be easy, though.
jason norris

Glossop, UK

#3 Jul 25, 2012
the roman catholic church is quite right.They are the sane ones, the sodomites are grit in the dirt.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#4 Jul 25, 2012
jason norris wrote:
the roman catholic church is quite right.They are the sane ones, the sodomites are grit in the dirt.
The church in USA is under attack by Obama and the dems . I agree the Roman Catholic church is correct and sane in a country of looney libs led by Obama.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5 Jul 25, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
The line has been drawen because we Catholics are not going to allow you loons to impose your agenda on us.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#6 Jul 25, 2012
jason norris wrote:
Sodomy is legal between consenting partners. Raping children is not, and neither is hiding the rapists. The RCC wouldn't know sanity even if there was any in the bible.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#7 Jul 25, 2012
If he died because he was gay then he died because he was gay. What's the big deal?
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#8 Jul 25, 2012
More likely he couldn't take the shame of being a former preist.
jason norris

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9 Jul 27, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Sodomy is legal between consenting partners. Raping children is not, and neither is hiding the rapists. The RCC wouldn't know sanity even if there was any in the bible.
Define the word " legal " in accordance with your post.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#10 Jul 27, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
example please of the Catholic church "forcing their lunacy" on you personally if you could.thank you

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#11 Jul 27, 2012
jason norris wrote:
Define the word " legal " in accordance with your post.
It's a pretty specific definition, there isn't much room for interpretation. It means "not criminal", "allowed", "OK to do".
jason norris

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#12 Jul 28, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a pretty specific definition, there isn't much room for interpretation. It means "not criminal", "allowed", "OK to do".
Not according to the Holy Bible. You also forget about a thing called health and safety. Very prevelant nowdays, and they advocate that, even with the rise of aids and other horrible diseases it is ok to stick your cxxx up anothers arse.
Methinks the lawmakers are suspect. Devious trolls who will have their names written in tne Book of Life as satanic keepers of pervert laws.
Hope they all rot in hell.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#13 Jul 30, 2012
jason norris wrote:
Not according to the Holy Bible.
Well, the Bible doesn't determine what's legal in our society. The Constitution does that.

This world is FULL of scriptures which people claim came from gods, but there's no real evidence for that. The evidence looks MORE like cultures throughout history have simply enjoyed inventing myths and writing scriptures about them. The Bible is just one of many.

It's a good thing we don't take our laws from the rules in the Bible. Many of those rules are sheer nonsense. Some are downright immoral. Most are ignored today, even by Christians. Can you imagine KILLING someone, just for working on the wrong day of the week? When was THAT ever "moral"?

If you want to follow the rules of the Bible to be a Christian, that's up to you. You certainly have that right. But that participation is completely voluntary. You can't force OTHER people to follow those rules, if they aren't interested.

Which is why we don't use the Bible for enforcing laws. Actual civil laws are NOT voluntary, they are mandatory for all citizens. You can observe your religion in the way that suits you best, and I can do the same, but neither of us can expect the other to live by someone else's religion. We are only compelled to obey constitutional law. Your religious interpretations are your own.
jason norris wrote:
You also forget about a thing called health and safety.
I don't forget those at all. They should be taken very seriously. I always have. Neither my partner nor I have any STD's. Simply protect yourself, and your health and safety won't be an issue.
jason norris wrote:
Very prevelant nowdays, and they advocate that, even with the rise of aids and other horrible diseases it is ok to stick your cxxx up anothers arse.
As long as you protect yourself, it IS ok to do that, and many other things. Straight people do them all the time, it has nothing to do with being gay. You don't catch diseases from any specific act, you catch them from not wearing a condom. You catch these diseases from carelessness. A careful person is a healthy person, gay or straight.
jason norris wrote:
Methinks the lawmakers are suspect. Devious trolls who will have their names written in tne Book of Life as satanic keepers of pervert laws.
Hope they all rot in hell.
The very idea of a "hell" is immoral. It doesn't make sense to speak of a "loving" god, who felt that his creation wasn't complete unless it included a torture chamber. Why would a god deliberatlely create people who are capable of pain and suffering, with the fore-knowledge that he's eventually going to resign them to eternal pain and suffering? Is it because there's not ENOUGH pain and suffering in the universe?

Our lawmakers support laws which give equal freedom to all citizens. That might mean allowing people to do things which you wouldn't want to do yourself. But if you want the freedom to live your life in the way that you feel is best for you, then you MUST extend that same freedom to other people. You can't add the condition that you must first approve of how they use that freedom.

Don't be so focused on what people do for sexual pleasure. If they're going to a hell because of it, let them. It doesn't affect you. You should only worry about people who are committing legal crimes which cause you harm, or which cause you to lose property or freedom of your own.

There's no point in getting worked up over how someone expresses love and sex, or in crafting legislation which restricts these things, or in ostracizing people who are different in these ways. Sexual orientation is a shallow and trivial standard to use when judging someone. There are far more important characteristics to consider when assessing a person's value.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#14 Jul 30, 2012
mikev483 wrote:
<quoted text>
example please of the Catholic church "forcing their lunacy" on you personally if you could.thank you
no? thought not
jason norris

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15 Jul 30, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the Bible doesn't determine what's legal in our society. The Constitution does that.
This world is FULL of scriptures which people claim came from gods, but there's no real evidence for that. The evidence looks MORE like cultures throughout history have simply enjoyed inventing myths and writing scriptures about them. The Bible is just one of many.
It's a good thing we don't take our laws from the rules in the Bible. Many of those rules are sheer nonsense. Some are downright immoral. Most are ignored today, even by Christians. Can you imagine KILLING someone, just for working on the wrong day of the week? When was THAT ever "moral"?
If you want to follow the rules of the Bible to be a Christian, that's up to you. You certainly have that right. But that participation is completely voluntary. You can't force OTHER people to follow those rules, if they aren't interested.
Which is why we don't use the Bible for enforcing laws. Actual civil laws are NOT voluntary, they are mandatory for all citizens. You can observe your religion in the way that suits you best, and I can do the same, but neither of us can expect the other to live by someone else's religion. We are only compelled to obey constitutional law. Your religious interpretations are your own.
<quoted text>
I don't forget those at all. They should be taken very seriously. I always have. Neither my partner nor I have any STD's. Simply protect yourself, and your health and safety won't be an issue.
<quoted text>
As long as you protect yourself, it IS ok to do that, and many other things. Straight people do them all the time, it has nothing to do with being gay. You don't catch diseases from any specific act, you catch them from not wearing a condom. You catch these diseases from carelessness. A careful person is a healthy person, gay or straight.
<quoted text>
The very idea of a "hell" is immoral. It doesn't make sense to speak of a "loving" god, who felt that his creation wasn't complete unless it included a torture chamber. Why would a god deliberatlely create people who are capable of pain and suffering, with the fore-knowledge that he's eventually going to resign them to eternal pain and suffering? Is it because there's not ENOUGH pain and suffering in the universe?
Our lawmakers support laws which give equal freedom to all citizens. That might mean allowing people to do things which you wouldn't want to do yourself. But if you want the freedom to live your life in the way that you feel is best for you, then you MUST extend that same freedom to other people. You can't add the condition that you must first approve of how they use that freedom.
Don't be so focused on what people do for sexual pleasure. If they're going to a hell because of it, let them. It doesn't affect you. You should only worry about people who are committing legal crimes which cause you harm, or which cause you to lose property or freedom of your own.
There's no point in getting worked up over how someone expresses love and sex, or in crafting legislation which restricts these things, or in ostracizing people who are different in these ways. Sexual orientation is a shallow and trivial standard to use when judging someone. There are far more important characteristics to consider when assessing a person's value.
the one thing that you have no answer for is the fact that your anus is to defacate with, exit only. Not sticking things up. Also, what goes on behind closed doors is up to the individual, no problem with that, but it is the fact that as sodomite behaviour is deviant, and this deviant behaviour is now flouted openly, thereby perverting children.
That is the main issue. Perverting ther innocent.Pure lust of an evil timbre.
jason norris

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#16 Jul 30, 2012
what goes on behind closed doors is up to the individual. However, the sodomite perversion teams are now openly roaming the streets, flaunting their deviant lifestyles thereby risking children being subjected to filthy behaviour, and all that follows.
jason norris

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17 Jul 30, 2012
The Archbishop is to my mind totally correct in what he says. No doubt about it, he is obeying the Holy Bible.The days we live in now can be read about in the Bible for all to see.
Years ago I used to wonder at signs that said outside some Churches "todays news today" referring to the contents of the Holy Book.
I believe every word. I believe that advocates of the sodomite life style are doomed unless they repent.
I believe that any country that advocates and goes along with the sodomite life style is doomed.
So, in effect, the West is doomed. I believe that. Shortly, all the people who disdain the Holy Word are in for a terrible shock.
The innocent will be punished with the guilty, so no winners. Except where you go after you die.
The simple way out of it is just to not believe and have no moral compass. Easy. Until you lie on your death bed.
The meek shall inherit the earth, not the glammed up human monkeys that pass all these obnoxious laws against the majority.They will pay a terrible price.
To tell you the truth, it disgusts me that this scum has the power to to what it does.
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#18 Jul 30, 2012
jason norris wrote:
The Archbishop is to my mind totally correct in what he says. No doubt about it, he is obeying the Holy Bible.The days we live in now can be read about in the Bible for all to see.
Years ago I used to wonder at signs that said outside some Churches "todays news today" referring to the contents of the Holy Book.
I believe every word. I believe that advocates of the sodomite life style are doomed unless they repent.
I believe that any country that advocates and goes along with the sodomite life style is doomed.
So, in effect, the West is doomed. I believe that. Shortly, all the people who disdain the Holy Word are in for a terrible shock.
The innocent will be punished with the guilty, so no winners. Except where you go after you die.
The simple way out of it is just to not believe and have no moral compass. Easy. Until you lie on your death bed.
The meek shall inherit the earth, not the glammed up human monkeys that pass all these obnoxious laws against the majority.They will pay a terrible price.
To tell you the truth, it disgusts me that this scum has the power to to what it does.
If you believe every word of the bible then aren't you a little worried at the moment?

After all, it says 'Judge not lest ye be judged', doesn't it?

So if the cost of you making that post was an eternity of torture in a burning pit of fire, don't you think you should have made a better post?
jason norris

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#19 Jul 30, 2012
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe every word of the bible then aren't you a little worried at the moment?
After all, it says 'Judge not lest ye be judged', doesn't it?
So if the cost of you making that post was an eternity of torture in a burning pit of fire, don't you think you should have made a better post?
not one bit. Said what I believe. Jugement made of Biblical teaching. Same as theft, murder etc. If you believe what you say then all judges are going to hell.
You are really of the chattering class persuasion, liberal if you like, or like the maybe to be scots independent government. A gaggle of idiots, nincompoops and imbeciles.
You will do well.Poor old Scotland,what an encumbrance of human dung it has to abide with.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#20 Jul 30, 2012
jason norris wrote:
the one thing that you have no answer for is the fact that your anus is to defacate with, exit only. Not sticking things up.
I DO have an answer, and here it is: My body is MINE to do with as I please, from head to toe. No one is in any position to tell me what I must do with it. Go enjoy your body, I won't tell you how. See that you extend me the same favor.

Gay people did not invent anal sex. We learned it from straight people. Many of them enjoy it. Do you tell THEM that they must avoid it, as well? Or are your rules ONLY for gay people?

There are even some gay people who DON'T enjoy anal sex, and don't practice it. Is it still okay for THEM to be gay, since they're not doing something which bothers you?

There are gay and straight people who enjoy oral sex, too. Is it okay with you if people put their mouths together with genitals? What about masturbation? Is all this forbidden, since that's not what they're "for"?

Grown-ups can decide for themselves how to use their bodies. They don't need your input, telling them what's allowed and what's not.
jason norris wrote:
Also, what goes on behind closed doors is up to the individual, no problem with that, but it is the fact that as sodomite behaviour is deviant, and this deviant behaviour is now flouted openly, thereby perverting children.
That is the main issue. Perverting ther innocent.Pure lust of an evil timbre.
If you're concerned with the RAPE of children, then I can certainly support this concern. Children should be protected from predatory adults.

But otherwise, you aren't clear about what you think will happen. Can you give a better explanation? Do you think that children will BECOME gay, simply because gay adults are treated with respect, dignity and equality?

Don't you think that young people who are realizing that they are gay should have a positive and hopeful attitude about their future? Shouldn't they feel like they have every opportunity for happiness and success, without fearing that their friends and loved ones will turn against them?

Are you helping anything by deciding that people you've never even met are "evil"? Wouldn't we all benefit more if you made the effort to get to KNOW people, BEFORE you condemn them? Shouldn't you wait until someone commits a WRONG against you, before you treat them like a criminal?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min truth 654,705
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 11 hr StillNotSure 10,211
News Pope Francis wades into transgender debate, lam... Aug 24 South Knox Hombre 2
News Pope Francis' Remarks Disappoint Gay and Transg... Aug 4 Leon 2
News The Pope s War Aug 2 The Proclaimer 1
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Aug 1 Bob 1
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' (Feb '16) Jul '16 make Donald Drump... 47
More from around the web