What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 Full story: www.christianpost.com 83,830

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Full Story

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#85748 Jan 12, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
this thread has been going on for 5 yrs! LMAO..
This is because Oxcart and OldJug have nowhere else to post.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#85749 Jan 12, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't ask me. I think religion in general is bullshit for the most part.
I don't think that's the reply Oxbow was hoping to hear.

Lord love you.

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#85750 Jan 12, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
religious: Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.
dogma:(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) a religious doctrine or system of doctrines proclaimed by ecclesiastical authority as true
If that be so..
A. He does not believe nor does he show reverence for God.
B. He does not believe in any religious doctrines proclaimed by ecclesiastical authority as true.
You referring to God as god also shows your degree of reverence for God..
Capitalized or not, it's a god. I don't believe in it, but respect those whose Christianity I recognize from my years as a member of the American Lutheran church dogm

He believes in God. He's just not told what that God is and how to behave by anyone but the Bible. Directly. No preacher man in between.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#85751 Jan 12, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Capitalized or not, it's a god. I don't believe in it, but respect those whose Christianity I recognize from my years as a member of the American Lutheran church dogm
He believes in God. He's just not told what that God is and how to behave by anyone but the Bible. Directly. No preacher man in between.
The Bible speaks of you:

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Location hidden

#85754 Jan 14, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>help us out and name one country that nationalized their oil "and Spends the Money on Bringing Food, Work, Infrastructure, Education, Money, Etc. to their Populace". we really do want to make sure that we hate them.
Saudi Arabia.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85756 Jan 15, 2013
the perfect idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Saudi Arabia.
don't worry, pbo is working to fix that.
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#85758 Jan 15, 2013
"If -- anyone -- chooses to do GOD'S Will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from GOD or whether I speak on my own."

http://bible.cc/john/7-16.htm VS 16, 17; http://bible.cc/psalms/25-9.htm

The best preparation http://niv.scripturetext.com/matthew/25.htm we could possibly be making as we "wait" http://bible.cc/psalms/37-34.htm , is to spend some time, each day, to "...find out what pleases the LORD" -

http://niv.scripturetext.com/ephesians/5.htm , http://bible.cc/romans/15-4.htm , http://bible.cc/1_john/2-3.htm ,

http://niv.scripturetext.com/revelation/14-6....

"The heavens declare the glory of GOD;

the skies proclaim the work of His Hands.

Day after day they pour forth speech (I Am);

night after night they display knowledge.

There is no speech or language

where their voice is not heard.

Their voice goes out into all the earth,

their words to the ends of the world...."

http://niv.scripturetext.com/psalms/19.htm

http://bible.cc/romans/1-20.htm

http://bible.cc/revelation/22-17.htm

Location hidden

#85760 Jan 16, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>don't worry, pbo is working to fix that.
You do know that the USA Greatest EXPORT, is OIL.
The USA EXPORTS more Oil then any other item, OIL is the USA's greatest EXPORT.

You should also know that under Mr. Obama Presidency the USA's Production of Oil has reach an all time High,
Never Before in the history of the USA has the USA Produced as much Oil as it is now Producing.

What you may not know is the the Oil Produced in Alaska is Sold to China, simply do to the fact that China is Closer to the Alaska Oil Fields then the Refineries in Southern California.

barry

Rainsville, AL

#85761 Jan 16, 2013
the perfect idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that the USA Greatest EXPORT, is OIL.
The USA EXPORTS more Oil then any other item, OIL is the USA's greatest EXPORT.
You should also know that under Mr. Obama Presidency the USA's Production of Oil has reach an all time High,
Never Before in the history of the USA has the USA Produced as much Oil as it is now Producing.
What you may not know is the the Oil Produced in Alaska is Sold to China, simply do to the fact that China is Closer to the Alaska Oil Fields then the Refineries in Southern California.
that's interesting but my comment was to your pointing out that Saudi Arabia was a country that had naturalized its oil and was actually putting much of the profits [ignoring the corruption that naturally exists] back into infrastructure education and the welfare of the people. not to mention they are an ally of ours. our current president is going to fix that. just as he has been so successful with egypt, lybia, and other places.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#85762 Jan 17, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he's saying anyone can read the Bible and have a relationship with god. You don't need to add religious dogma to do so...?
Bingo, someone else gets it ;-)

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#85763 Jan 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no Christian religion that is not based on the Sacred Word of God.
Your view of Christianity tells it all regards your relationship with God.
Really? So do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when he instructs us to kill adulterers? Do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to eating pork? Lobster? Crab? Shrimp? Carp? Catfish? Sole? DO you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to cutting your hair and/or shaving, as in don't do it?
Do you understand there's a fundamental difference between the Old Testament and the new Testament besides the introduction of Christ?
Or more precisly, do you know what the Old Testament is? And do you now what the New Testament is?

As for my "view" of Christianity, I filtered out the dogma and kept the basic message, love one another. Sometimes I fail miserably with certain individuals but that's because I'm human, not because I have some "messed up view" of Christianity.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#85764 Jan 17, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>that's interesting but my comment was to your pointing out that Saudi Arabia was a country that had naturalized its oil and was actually putting much of the profits [ignoring the corruption that naturally exists] back into infrastructure education and the welfare of the people. not to mention they are an ally of ours. our current president is going to fix that. just as he has been so successful with egypt, lybia, and other places.
I was told by a Kuwaiti that I shared a hosipital room with for short time, that college is fee for all Kuwaiti citizens.

US 62 @ US 81

#85765 Jan 17, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? So do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when he instructs us to kill adulterers? Do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to eating pork? Lobster? Crab? Shrimp? Carp? Catfish? Sole? DO you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to cutting your hair and/or shaving, as in don't do it?
Do you understand there's a fundamental difference between the Old Testament and the new Testament besides the introduction of Christ?
Or more precisly, do you know what the Old Testament is? And do you now what the New Testament is?
As for my "view" of Christianity, I filtered out the dogma and kept the basic message, love one another. Sometimes I fail miserably with certain individuals but that's because I'm human, not because I have some "messed up view" of Christianity.
"So do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when he instructs us to kill adulterers?" Abrogated in the NT by Jesus.

"Do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to eating pork? Lobster? Crab? Shrimp? Carp? Catfish? Sole?" Food laws abrogated in the NT by Jesus reaffirmed by Paul.

"DO you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to cutting your hair and/or shaving, as in don't do it?" Nothing in the OT like that.
Rand M Sutor

United States

#85766 Jan 17, 2013
No church can get ANYONE into Heaven! It was Jesus Who hung on that cross and took the punishment for our sins. Your faith must be in Christ, and Him alone.

Church was meant to be place to point people "TO" Christ, not "TAKE THE PLACE" OF Christ!

US 62 @ US 81

#85767 Jan 17, 2013
Rand M Sutor wrote:
No church can get ANYONE into Heaven! It was Jesus Who hung on that cross and took the punishment for our sins. Your faith must be in Christ, and Him alone.
Church was meant to be place to point people "TO" Christ, not "TAKE THE PLACE" OF Christ!
What he said.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#85768 Jan 17, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know the difference between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant? Are you living under the Old or New?

Location hidden

#85769 Jan 17, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't refute the truth...so you dodged..."There is no Christian religion that is not based on the Sacred Word of God.Your view of Christianity tells it all regards your relationship with God."
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#85770 Jan 17, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
So do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when he instructs us to kill adulterers?

Do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to eating pork? Lobster? Crab? Shrimp? Carp? Catfish? Sole? DO you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to cutting your hair and/or shaving, as in don't do it?

The death decree for adultery and other sin no longer applies since the end of the second temple 70 AD. This is why neither the Christians nor Jewish religion do this any longer.

wikipedia fairly reports this:

"A death sentence could be issued only during the period when the Holy Temple stood, and only so long as the Supreme Torah Court convened in its chamber within the Temple complex. Today, therefore, no death penalty applies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultery#Christi...

The cutting of hair & beard was to conform to their time as men were to be like men today may wear a suit and tie. However long hair is common to rebellion.

The NT covenant only changed that the sacrificial system ended (KJV Col 2:14)

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#85771 Jan 17, 2013
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
"So do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when he instructs us to kill adulterers?" Abrogated in the NT by Jesus.
"Do you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to eating pork? Lobster? Crab? Shrimp? Carp? Catfish? Sole?" Food laws abrogated in the NT by Jesus reaffirmed by Paul.
"DO you follow the "Sacred Word of God" when it comes to cutting your hair and/or shaving, as in don't do it?" Nothing in the OT like that.
The first two are EXACTLY my point. The OT is a covenant between God and the nation of Israel. It contained instructions for the building up of the nation of Israel. The NT is a covenant between God and "the Church". The Church being we the people. The NT supercedes the OT, or is intended to when it comes to Christianity.

As for cutting one's hair and shaving, it is part of the same Levitican Laws the anti-gay crowd likes to continually quote out of context.

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#85772 Jan 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't refute the truth...so you dodged..."There is no Christian religion that is not based on the Sacred Word of God.Your view of Christianity tells it all regards your relationship with God."
Not at all. You happily jumped in when I sardonically asked if the Baptist Church was the only "Bible believing church". Remember? That's how this started.
You then laughingly inferred that my relationship with God is questionable. Guess what sport? I don't need to explain my beliefs to you. Those are between me and God and anyone that's willing to talk about it. Not some overly-righteous, pious git that has the nerve to assume he understands anything about my relationship with God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min June VanDerMark 544,869
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 23 min Crazy 8,316
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... 4 hr heressssssss kenny 11
Vatican exorcism conference warns the Devil is ... 17 hr Sherlayne 21
Catholics react to pope remarks on gays, abortion (Sep '13) 20 hr Gapin Garrika 12
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Sep 26 KidlatNgayon 88
Pope Faces Serious Islamic Threat on Albanian Trip Sep 24 VIVA EVROPA 1

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE