What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 Full story: www.christianpost.com 83,899

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#85697 Jan 9, 2013
Black Hebrew wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a short article explaining the term "nazarene". It's written by "A skeptic's guide to Christianity"--not the greatest source--but gives a good, brief explanation none-the-less,
Shalom
Link?
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85700 Jan 9, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Which cuss?
;p
sorry, not in my vocabulary. ask the rev jeremiah wright.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#85701 Jan 9, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>that is a good question. it used to be the first letters of a cuss. probably still is, in common use.
<><
G-d is an affectation by Jews and wannabe-Jews so that they don't dishonor God's name. Orthodox Jews say "Ha Shem" Hebrew for "The Name" when referring to God.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#85702 Jan 9, 2013
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
<><
G-d is an affectation by Jews and wannabe-Jews so that they don't dishonor God's name. Orthodox Jews say "Ha Shem" Hebrew for "The Name" when referring to God.
Oh. Ok. Thanks for telling me, I didn't know that and was wondering if I should be offended or not.
Peace <3

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#85705 Jan 10, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics worship God and His Son, Jesus.
No Catholic worships the virgin Mary. She is, however, honored because she is the mother of the Son of God, Jesus.
Really? Cuz I've sure heard more than a fair share of prayers to Mary and any number of "saints".

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#85706 Jan 10, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>help us out and name one country that nationalized their oil "and Spends the Money on Bringing Food, Work, Infrastructure, Education, Money, Etc. to their Populace". we really do want to make sure that we hate them.
Canada did during the days of PetroCan.

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#85707 Jan 10, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
Nettiebelle,
The Catholic church twisting scriptures is nothing new......the Word of God is the final say on all matters involving born again Christians.
A truly saved person will follow the command to get baptized (full water immersion) but that doesn't save them. They are already saved by grace through faith in the blood of Jesus. Salvation cannot be earned.(Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 10:9-13, John 3:16-18)
Anyone reading this post who is saved but not yet baptized, I encourage you to get baptized the scriptural way (full water immersion). Visit a bible believing Baptist church and talk to the pastor, he'll be trilled to baptize a new Christian.
Hmmm, does it have to be a Baptist Church? Or will any Bible believing Church do?

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#85708 Jan 10, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Ok. Thanks for telling me, I didn't know that and was wondering if I should be offended or not.
Peace <3
I do hope you were joking about the near miss on being offended O.O

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#85709 Jan 10, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
I do hope you were joking about the near miss on being offended O.O
I wasn't joking. A lot of people disrespect the name of God on topix, I wasn't sure what it meant, which is why I asked.
<3
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#85710 Jan 10, 2013
god knows why that matters.
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't joking. A lot of people disrespect the name of God on topix, I wasn't sure what it meant, which is why I asked.
<3

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#85711 Jan 10, 2013
Thursday January 10
Don't Be an Older Brother
Lev 15-17, Matt 6:1-8, Ps 46, Pr 1:32-33
'...Son...all that I have is yours.' Luke 15:31

In the parable of the prodigal son Jesus is talking to two different groups: regular people, and religious leaders who complained that Jesus 'receives sinners'.(Luke 15:2) We all know the story. The Prodigal Son 'blew it' and ended up in a pigsty. Later, when he returned home, his father threw a big party. But his older brother wouldn't attend. Here was his reason:'"...These many years I have been serving you...yet you never gave me a young goat that I might make merry with my friends. But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him." And [his father] said to him, "Son...all that I have is yours."'(Luke 15:29-31) It's the kind of thing you hear in church from people who lift themselves up by putting others down. Both sons spent time in the pigsty: one in the pigsty of rebellion, the other in the pigsty of resentment. One came home to a welcome, the other stayed home and wallowed in self-righteousness. Because of his judgementalism, the older son ended up losing more than the younger son:(1) He forfeited the joy of knowing how much he was loved by his father.(2) As the oldest son he was entitled to twice as much of his father's estate, yet he wasn't able to enjoy a moment of it.(3) His younger brother was lost and hurting. What an opportunity to forgive, show grace, help to restore him and have a life-enriching relationship with him. But he forfeited it all because he was judgemental. Don't be an older brother!
The Word for Today
<3
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85712 Jan 10, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Canada did during the days of PetroCan.
apparently that was only temporary during the 70's. canada since has divested itself from petrocan.
however thanks for the info. i didn't know that canada had at one time nationalized its oil industry.

the rest of the countries that have nationalized don't have a very good record of putting the profits back to infrastructure or the general welfare of the people.

Ecuador
Iran
Iraq
Libya
Nigeria
Saudi Arabia
Venezuela
Argentina
Mexico
Russia

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#85714 Jan 10, 2013
barry wrote:
that is a good question. it used to be the first letters of a cuss. probably still is, in common use.
Juicylu wrote:
Which cuss?
;p
<><
Barry was referring to "G-d" in BH's post. That is similar to a curse phrase sometimes written GD which sounds like Gah Dam.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#85715 Jan 10, 2013
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<><
Barry was referring to "G-d" in BH's post. That is similar to a curse phrase sometimes written GD which sounds like Gah Dam.
Someone on another thread or maybe it was this thread, told me it had something to do with the Jewish belief that they can't say God out of respect.
So it is a mockery of God?
I've got some reading to do...

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#85716 Jan 10, 2013
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<><
So, both are true?
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
<3

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#85717 Jan 10, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Cuz I've sure heard more than a fair share of prayers to Mary and any number of "saints".
Catholics pray to the Virgin Mary asking for her prayers for us.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85718 Jan 10, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone on another thread or maybe it was this thread, told me it had something to do with the Jewish belief that they can't say God out of respect.
So it is a mockery of God?
I've got some reading to do...
no, i don't believe he was actually mocking God. he was probably trying to be pious and follow something he had read about Jewish people not writing the name of God as it is a holy name. they would often just write a shortened version that in context would be understood.
i guess i was pointing out that in so doing he was also using a curse that civilized people who would not write or say the words would do the same sort of thing in only putting up the first letters of each word. i do not believe that he had any idea and was trying to show piety.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#85719 Jan 10, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder!!!!

The following, from the Catholic Catechism, teaches to pray to Mary. No supporting Scripture listed...because there is none. This teaching is opposite of the teaching of Christ. He, per Scripture, taught we are to to pray to the Father in His name.

“Mary is the perfect Orans prayer, a figure of the Church. When we pray to her, we are adhering with her to the plan of the Father”(Catechism 2679)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#85720 Jan 10, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, does it have to be a Baptist Church? Or will any Bible believing Church do?
What about a church that believes in and also follows their: Magisterium, Tradition and Catechism of which neither are fully supported by Scripture???

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#85723 Jan 10, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
<3
So you have a problem with Freedom of Speech then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min jethro8 559,664
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... 6 hr John 4
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 12 hr Mr Sir 8,699
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns 21 hr Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift 23 hr Doc Proper 12
The Roman Catholic church: Chronicle of a papac... Dec 18 Stephany McDowell 1
Dogs go to heaven, Pope Francis says Dec 17 cooldude 5
More from around the web