What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 Full story: www.christianpost.com 83,830

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Full Story

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#85648 Jan 5, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I stand corrected. Catholics don't always do full immersion baptism.
Back to the babies. Do they have souls?
Yes babies have souls. Yes they go to Heaven if they die.
Psalm 139:13-16
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
==========
When King David's child with Bathsheba died, he believed one day he would join the child in Heaven. A few scriptures to back my point.

2 Samuel 12:23- But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

Psalm 23:6- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

#85649 Jan 5, 2013
Nettiebelle, the thief on the cross wasn't baptized.

Luke 23:42-43
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#85650 Jan 5, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
Nettiebelle, the thief on the cross wasn't baptized.
Luke 23:42-43
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
The Necessity of Baptism:

Christ Himself ordered His disciples to preach the Gospel to all nations and to baptize those who accept the message of the Gospel. In His encounter with Nicodemus (John 3:1-21), Christ made it clear that baptism was necessary for salvation: "Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." For Catholics, the sacrament is not a mere formality; it is the very mark of a Christian, because it brings us into new life in Christ.
Baptism of Desire:

That doesn't mean that only those who have been formally baptized can be saved. From very early on, the Church recognized that there are two other types of baptism besides the baptism of water.

The baptism of desire applies both to those who, while wishing to be baptized, die before receiving the sacrament and "Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do His will as they know it through the dictates of conscience" (Constitution on the Church, Second Vatican Council).
Baptism of Blood:

The baptism of blood is similar to the baptism of desire. It refers to the martyrdom of those believers who were killed for the faith before they had a chance to be baptized. This was a common occurrence in the early centuries of the Church, but also in later times in missionary lands. The baptism of blood has the same effects as the baptism of water.
http://catholicism.about.com/od/beliefsteachi...

John The Baptist was not baptized as a Christian; if fact, he was not a Christian, yet he died for the faith, she he was canonized and is now a Saint of the Catholic Church.

#85651 Jan 5, 2013
Nettiebelle,
The Catholic church twisting scriptures is nothing new......the Word of God is the final say on all matters involving born again Christians.

A truly saved person will follow the command to get baptized (full water immersion) but that doesn't save them. They are already saved by grace through faith in the blood of Jesus. Salvation cannot be earned.(Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 10:9-13, John 3:16-18)

Anyone reading this post who is saved but not yet baptized, I encourage you to get baptized the scriptural way (full water immersion). Visit a bible believing Baptist church and talk to the pastor, he'll be trilled to baptize a new Christian.

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#85652 Jan 5, 2013
Disciple of Jesus wrote:
The Catholics were created in the fourth century under a Hexagram religion. Look at the Catholics, robes, books, building, stained-glass windows the Hexagram is everywhere.
Don't let their words fool you like the Mormons redefining words to deceive.
The key to Catholics is the Inquisition: murder and more murder. The Eucharist is purely Satanic.
The circumcision of the heart and baptism by fire is when and where one becomes saved. The follow-up by an act of obedience to Jesus ordinance is Baptism by full immersion.
Baptism represent: buried with Jesus and arise back in a new life to walk with Him. Baptism is representative of the grave; pouring and/or sprinkling is not the meaning or the practice. Baptist are 300 yrs older than the organization of CAtholic.
They are Antichrist; which can be proven easily. In the NT the Apostle John (1JN 2:18) spoke of them and you can trace them to Egypt and then on to Rome. Look at the Nicoliatans: the Opus Dei are the same bunch - Jesus said, "But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Rev 2:6 (KJV)" So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Rev 2:15 (KJV) Don't be deceived by words of the Catholics; their Hexagram and the words of STUR are their indicators to let you know who they are in reality. The number value of both STUR and the Hexagram is 666. They have admitted to killing tens of millions of Baptist.
In the first place, the Catholics were the disciples. Do you know what "catholic" means?

And in the second place, the NIV translation of the KJV is no more close to what the Bible says than the NIV recreation of the Bible.

Anderson, IN

#85653 Jan 5, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
Nettiebelle,
The Catholic church twisting scriptures is nothing new......the Word of God is the final say on all matters involving born again Christians.
A truly saved person will follow the command to get baptized (full water immersion) but that doesn't save them. They are already saved by grace through faith in the blood of Jesus. Salvation cannot be earned.(Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 10:9-13, John 3:16-18)
Anyone reading this post who is saved but not yet baptized, I encourage you to get baptized the scriptural way (full water immersion). Visit a bible believing Baptist church and talk to the pastor, he'll be trilled to baptize a new Christian.
The Catholics have some of the original transcripts. ONLY the born again evangelicals has twisted and contorted the teachings of the Bible to make them fit their political agenda.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#85654 Jan 5, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes babies have souls. Yes they go to Heaven if they die.
Psalm 139:13-16
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
==========
When King David's child with Bathsheba died, he believed one day he would join the child in Heaven. A few scriptures to back my point.
2 Samuel 12:23- But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.
Psalm 23:6- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
If there are two ways to attain salvation perhaps there are many more.
Disciple of Jesus

United States

#85657 Jan 5, 2013
Catholics are Catholics; not Christian. Their very first and earliest beginning was 313AD.

They did not adopt Christianity. The NT churches of the Bible rejected their church and doctrine. They are the apostate church of REV 17.

Get a real Bible and read it.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#85658 Jan 5, 2013
Disciple of Jesus wrote:
Catholics are Catholics; not Christian. Their very first and earliest beginning was 313AD.
They did not adopt Christianity. The NT churches of the Bible rejected their church and doctrine. They are the apostate church of REV 17.
Get a real Bible and read it.
where do you think they camefrom? LOL!!!

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#85659 Jan 5, 2013
typo: ...came from.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#85661 Jan 5, 2013
636 646
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible did not come complete with an index, telling us which books, and how many, are inspired writings and canonical or not. It was the bishops of the Catholic Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that sorted out and decided the canon of Sacred Scripture. The bishops were preserved from falling into error, as our Lord promised, on this important matter concerning the Holy Catholic Church.(Matt. 16:18; 28:18-20)(John 14,15, and 16)(1 Tim. 3:14-15)(Acts 15:28) They included Tobit, Baruch, Judith, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus (Sirach), 1 Maccabees, and 2 Maccabees. Roman Catholics call these books deuterocanonical. Protestants call them Apocrypha. There are some additional passages in Daniel and Esther not found in Protestant Bibles.
The Bible came out of the Catholic Church around the end of the 4th century.( No small feat!) The Synods of Hippo, 393 A.D., and Carthage, 397 A.D.,and later, Carthage 419 A.D.,( along with the Traditional Bible or Latin Vulgate ( LV ), 406 A.D., by Saint Jerome ),gave us the canon of Sacred Scripture as Catholics know it today. Relatively recent archeological findings and analysis of the Dead Sea scrolls (Qumran) of 1947 revealed that several deuterocanonical books were originally composed in Hebrew or Aramaic. This is very relevant and significant because earlier Protestant reformers of the 16th century, were very suspicious of, and rejected books, only available to them in the Greek Language. In part therefore, the Protestant canon of 66 books of Sacred Scripture is deficient - short seven (7) books.
The regional or local Catholic Church Councils of Hippo, 393 A.D., and Carthage, 397 A.D., and later, Carthage 419 A.D. gave us the canon of Sacred Scripture as we know it today.
http://www.catholicevangelism.org/h-canon1.sh...
More garbage....and it does not change the truth per the Sacred Infallible Word of God:

Mt 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
Mr 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Ac 18:8 And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.
Infants cannot:
A.Confess their sins.
B.Cannot believe.
C.Cannot believe on the Lord.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#85662 Jan 5, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>The Necessity of Baptism:
Christ Himself ordered His disciples to preach the Gospel to all nations and to baptize those who accept the message of the Gospel. In His encounter with Nicodemus (John 3:1-21), Christ made it clear that baptism was necessary for salvation: "Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." For Catholics, the sacrament is not a mere formality; it is the very mark of a Christian, because it brings us into new life in Christ.
Baptism of Desire:
That doesn't mean that only those who have been formally baptized can be saved. From very early on, the Church recognized that there are two other types of baptism besides the baptism of water.
The baptism of desire applies both to those who, while wishing to be baptized, die before receiving the sacrament and "Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do His will as they know it through the dictates of conscience" (Constitution on the Church, Second Vatican Council).
Baptism of Blood:
The baptism of blood is similar to the baptism of desire. It refers to the martyrdom of those believers who were killed for the faith before they had a chance to be baptized. This was a common occurrence in the early centuries of the Church, but also in later times in missionary lands. The baptism of blood has the same effects as the baptism of water.
http://catholicism.about.com/od/beliefsteachi...
John The Baptist was not baptized as a Christian; if fact, he was not a Christian, yet he died for the faith, she he was canonized and is now a Saint of the Catholic Church.
You spoke the truth!!!! Quote:Christ Himself ordered His disciples to preach the Gospel to all nations and to baptize those who accept the message of the Gospel.

Infants cannot grasp the Gospel...much less accept the message!!! To baptize an infant is a waste of time and water.....
Amish

El Dorado Springs, MO

#85663 Jan 5, 2013
tickedoffchic wrote:
where do you think they came from? LOL!!!

Catholics? They were the ROMANS until Constantine. Then the religion was mish-mashed. It wasnt the true Christianity of the Nazarenes - the first Christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazarene_%28sect...
Amish

El Dorado Springs, MO

#85664 Jan 5, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
The Bible did not come complete with an index, telling us which books, and how many, are inspired writings and canonical or not. It was the bishops of the Catholic Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that sorted out and decided the canon of Sacred Scripture."

-

It is good you see the importance of the Bible but the RC did not decide the books to be used. They only decided what books they would use. They accepted the same books already in use by the Nazarene Christians. There were many other books correctly rejected.

There are documents and records predating the Council of Nicea that record what books were in use. One is the Muratorian fragment, 170 AD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muratorian_fragm...

We dont get the canon from RC priests rather 1st & 2nd century witnesses who were there and knew what was considered inspired, same as witnessed the virgin birth and other miracles, and knew Paul was also inspired. Besides their witness we can confirm the books are all in harmony, unlike the apocryphal books later added by Rome, correctly removed by Protestant Bibles.

• Who wrote the NT books and when?

http://carm.org/wasnt-new-testament-written-h...

http://www.datingthenewtestament.com/Fathers....

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#85665 Jan 5, 2013
Amish wrote:
Nettiebelle wrote:
The Bible did not come complete with an index, telling us which books, and how many, are inspired writings and canonical or not. It was the bishops of the Catholic Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that sorted out and decided the canon of Sacred Scripture."
-
It is good you see the importance of the Bible but the RC did not decide the books to be used. They only decided what books they would use. They accepted the same books already in use by the Nazarene Christians. There were many other books correctly rejected.
There are documents and records predating the Council of Nicea that record what books were in use. One is the Muratorian fragment, 170 AD.
We dont get the canon from RC priests rather 1st & 2nd century witnesses who were there and knew what was considered inspired, same as witnessed the virgin birth and other miracles, and knew Paul was also inspired. Besides their witness we can confirm the books are all in harmony, unlike the apocryphal books later added by Rome, correctly removed by Protestant Bibles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =V8C-Dl7VpRQXX
The Bible came out of the Catholic Church around the end of the 4th century.( No small feat!) The Synods of Hippo, 393 A.D., and Carthage, 397 A.D.,and later, Carthage 419 A.D.,( along with the Traditional Bible or Latin Vulgate ( LV ), 406 A.D., by Saint Jerome ),gave us the canon of Sacred Scripture as Catholics know it today. Relatively recent archeological findings and analysis of the Dead Sea scrolls (Qumran) of 1947 revealed that several deuterocanonical books were originally composed in Hebrew or Aramaic. This is very relevant and significant because earlier Protestant reformers of the 16th century, were very suspicious of, and rejected books, only available to them in the Greek Language. In part therefore, the Protestant canon of 66 books of Sacred Scripture is deficient - short seven (7) books.

The regional or local Catholic Church Councils of Hippo, 393 A.D., and Carthage, 397 A.D., and later, Carthage 419 A.D. gave us the canon of Sacred Scripture as we know it today. Although these were just local councils, Saint Augustine did insist that the list given by these councils be sent to Rome for approval. Pope Saint Siricius (384-399 A.D.) approved the canon just as his papal predecessor Pope Damasus I had done in a Synod in 382 A.D. with a formal writing "Decretal of Gelasius", de recipiendis et non recipiendis libris.(The archeological findings and analysis pertaining to the Council of Rome 382 A.D. and some of the Popes may not be a settled fact.)

A friend of Saint Jerome, Saint Exuperius of Toulouse, a Gallican bishop, wrote to Pope Innocent I in a formal letter requesting the list of canonical books. The Pope replied - honoring Saint Exuperius - with a letter listing the canonical books:

Consulenti Tibi Dated February 405 A.D.
. This list is the same as the canonical list that Catholics have today. This includes the Protestant apocrypha or Catholic deuterocanonical books of the Holy Bible.
http://www.catholicevangelism.org/h-canon1.sh...

“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#85666 Jan 5, 2013
Think what divides us are the statues, confession, praying to Mary, having direct access to God and not, sacraments and the 7 deadly sins, I'm sure there's a few others too. Maybe we should focus on the things we have in common? Just a thought.
Peace and love and heaven above <3

Anderson, IN

#85667 Jan 6, 2013
Amish wrote:
Nettiebelle wrote:
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =V8C-Dl7VpRQXX
Nazarene Christians?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Na...

The Church of the Nazarene is an evangelical Christian denomination that emerged from the 19th-century Holiness movement in North America. With its members colloquially referred to as Nazarenes, it is the largest Wesleyan-holiness denomination in the world.[1][2] At the end of September 2011, the Church of the Nazarene had 2,136,122 members in 27,524 churches in 157 different "world areas".[3][4][5] Most members of the Church of the Nazarene are found in the United States and Canada (663,901),[3] Haiti (116,000),[6] Bangladesh (65,000),[7] and India (59,039).[8] The denomination has the highest per capita population in the nations of Cape Verde, Samoa, Barbados, Haiti and Swaziland.[9]

Seems to have been developed a bit later than your comments.

Let me try to find it again.

This article is about the 4th Century Jewish Christian group contemporary with the Ebionites. For alternative etymologies for Nazarene and comparable terms in Hebrew, see Nazarene (title).
For other uses, see Nazarene (disambiguation).

The Nazarene sect (&#7969; &#964;&#8182;&#957 ; &#925;&#945;&#950; &#969;&#961;&#945; &#943;&#969;&#957; &#945;&#7989;&#961 ;&#949;&#963;&#953 ;&#962;) is used in two contexts:

Firstly of the New Testament Church where in Acts 24:5 Paul the Apostle is accused before Felix at Caesarea (the capital of Roman Judaea) by Tertullus of being "a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes."[1]

Secondly of a 4th Century Jewish-Christian sect located in Transjordan called the Nazarenes by Epiphanius,[2] Jerome and Augustine of Hippo.[3][4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazarene_%28sect...

Nope...they came 400 years after Christ.

Where's your link?
Disciple of Jesus

United States

#85668 Jan 6, 2013
Catholicism is SATANIC. Their rituals are SATANIC. The Eucharist is SATANIC.

The Catholic Babylonian religion was birthed in the fourth century and they have been killing Christians ever since.
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#85669 Jan 6, 2013
Repent & Believe The Gospel
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#85671 Jan 6, 2013
Earth in crisis: Is the planet on the verge of a ‘meltdown’?

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/20...

http://bible.cc/matthew/24-12.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min hojo 542,144
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... 5 hr pazuzu 74
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Hebrewsunite 8,297
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sep 10 ELIAS IBARRA 5
Pope Francis pursues a thaw in relations with m... Sep 9 Andrez Lopez 2
Francis' letter to Cubans: Imitate Mary's joy, ... Sep 8 Crusader 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Sep 5 ELIAS IBARRA 49
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••