What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 | Posted by: Paul Zannucci | Full story: www.christianpost.com

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Comments (Page 4,162)

Showing posts 83,221 - 83,240 of83,860
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>so are these the words of Jesus or not?
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Mark 9:43
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 45
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 47
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
vs 48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
and if the Revelation is the revelation of Jesus Christ.....
Revelation 20:12-14
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
sure looks to me as though he believed and taught about a fire in hell.
FREAKSHOW....it's symbolic. Not reality. A loving, caring GOD would NEVER burn imperfect people, prone to mistakes....burn people forever!!! Crazy thinking. Hellfire is symbolic of total death, like Gehenna, a garbage dump. Why would a GOD of love torture imperfect people forever..they are imperfect!!! A loving God of justice would surely destroy those who are truly...truly bad. Your definition of God...is a God of torture..like the INQUISITION. The Inquisition was MAN's doing, the Catholic Churches doing. NOT GODS. Hell is symbolic of total death....only for those who deserve it. Those who are true opponents of Gods Kingdom.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not the post of nettie of which I responded to...
Here tis Oxbow wrote:
A. Nettiebelle wrote: Then, I have noted that you agree with me.
(FYI there is nothing in her post about cherry picking Scripture.)again:
Are you actually this dense or are you playing games? I know which post you replied to and I know that Nettie did not say anything about cherry picking in that post! That does NOT make any difference since it was not the first post in the exchange. My reference to "cherry picking" was not addressing her second post but her first post which I have now posted twice.
And as I have said repeatedly I did NOT make an accusation of "cherry picking," I was responding to Nettie's accusation that Christians did that.
Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can see that the post you are arguing about is the 2d post below the post where Nettie accuses Christians of cherry picking. In the post you replied to Nettie said something about me agreeing with her. Did you even stop to think what was I supposed to be agreeing with her about? Evidently you jumped in with the intent to attack me you didn't even bother with what I was discussing.
As I said which you are too stupid to understand. I did NOT make an accusation that Christians cherry pick scripture. Nettie did and my post which you are ignorantly misrepresenting was addressing that post.
Take your ignorant, chidlish whining somewhere else.
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
FREAKSHOW....it's symbolic. Not reality. A loving, caring GOD would NEVER burn imperfect people, prone to mistakes....burn people forever!!! Crazy thinking. Hellfire is symbolic of total death, like Gehenna, a garbage dump. Why would a GOD of love torture imperfect people forever..they are imperfect!!! A loving God of justice would surely destroy those who are truly...truly bad. Your definition of God...is a God of torture..like the INQUISITION. The Inquisition was MAN's doing, the Catholic Churches doing. NOT GODS. Hell is symbolic of total death....only for those who deserve it. Those who are true opponents of Gods Kingdom.
a Holy god would not tolerate sin. however a Holy god also would have to be perfectly just and perfectly fair. that's why he offers salvation freely to all who will believe and receive by grace through faith. those who reject him... well they are condemned already and the love of God is not in them. so how can the love of God help them?
sorry. a loving God will not save them from the hell fire that is promised to those who die without Christ.
it would not be true love now would it if he would permit unrepentant, unforgiven, unwashed sinners to freely enter heaven.
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>I just replied to barry's question as to whether or not he was insulted. I'm going to be insulted now, aren't I? lol
can we start a club?

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you're a bloody atheist what can you possibly know about a god that you don't even believe exists. Talk about FREAKSHOW, you're it!
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>a Holy god would not tolerate sin. however a Holy god also would have to be perfectly just and perfectly fair. that's why he offers salvation freely to all who will believe and receive by grace through faith. those who reject him... well they are condemned already and the love of God is not in them. so how can the love of God help them?
sorry. a loving God will not save them from the hell fire that is promised to those who die without Christ.
it would not be true love now would it if he would permit unrepentant, unforgiven, unwashed sinners to freely enter heaven.
God

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
lol
I'm not sure, but maybe we can figure it out.
Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Thank you, Nettiebelle. I hope you and yours enjoyed your Thanksgiving, as well.
barry wrote:
can we start a club?
I'm sure we can. We'll have to ask Doris Roberts to be the president, though. She's the actress that plays Ray Romano's mother (Marie) on "Everybody Loves Raymond," and she's, in my humble opinion, got the masked, insulting zinger down to a science! lol

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Here tis again:
(FYI there is nothing in her post about cherry picking Scripture.)
You can play all the infantile word games you want to, it does NOT matter which post you responded to. You behaving like an idiot does NOT change which post I responded to. My reference to cherry picking was in response to this post by Nettie.
Nettiebelle wrote:
Trouble is that many Christians cherry pick scripture in hopes it supports their own personal take on the Bible.
lol

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/christian...
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you, Nettiebelle. I hope you and yours enjoyed your Thanksgiving, as well.
<quoted text>I'm sure we can. We'll have to ask Doris Roberts to be the president, though. She's the actress that plays Ray Romano's mother (Marie) on "Everybody Loves Raymond," and she's, in my humble opinion, got the masked, insulting zinger down to a science! lol
i'll pass.

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>was i just insulted? lol.
Not intentionally.

“Think for Yourself”

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>
..........it would not be true love now would it if he would permit unrepentant, unforgiven, unwashed sinners to freely enter heaven.
Unrepentant, unforgiven and sinner I can take, but unwashed!! I'll have you know I shower regularly and use all the nice smelly stuff too!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
You can play all the infantile word games you want to, it does NOT matter which post you responded to. You behaving like an idiot does NOT change which post I responded to. My reference to cherry picking was in response to this post by Nettie.
<quoted text>
No infantile word game. It does matter which post I responded to!!!!

Here tis again:
(FYI there is nothing in her post about cherry picking Scripture.)

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you're a bloody atheist what can you possibly know about a god that you don't even believe exists. Talk about FREAKSHOW, you're it!
I think he's spot-on, that everything he said about God is true!
And your claiming what he said isn't true, makes apparent he knows a whole lot more about God than you do.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Mary never had other children after the Lord Jesus. She remained a perpetual virgin.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - After Mary delivered our precious Lord Jesus Christ into the world, Joseph did know his wife. Joseph and Mary indeed had children together, plenty of them. They were the Lord's half brothers and sisters for their father was Joseph and mother was Mary.

Matthew 1:24-25 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not TILL she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

Matthew
13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
13:56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?

Mark
6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

The article, The virgin Mary DID NOT remain a virgin includes additional scriptures.

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
And your claiming what he said isn't true, makes apparent he knows a whole lot more about God than you do.
What you "think" is as meaningless as whatshisface's post. Since you're a bloody atheist what can you possibly know about a god that you don't even believe exists. Talk about FREAKSHOW, you're it!
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Unrepentant, unforgiven and sinner I can take, but unwashed!! I'll have you know I shower regularly and use all the nice smelly stuff too!
cute, and we are probably very grateful.
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
barry wrote:
<quoted text>so are these the words of Jesus or not?
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Mark 9:43
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 45
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 47
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
vs 48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
and if the Revelation is the revelation of Jesus Christ.....
Revelation 20:12-14
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
sure looks to me as though he believed and taught about a fire in hell.

janee,
you make this profound statement about Christ:

"Barry: "sure looks to me as though he believed and taught about a fire in hell."
Jesus wasn't a BELIEVER!
He didn't preach about what He BELIEVED. His Teachings were based on what He KNEW."

and then you defend tj with the above statement?
something doesn't add up.

“Think for Yourself”

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>cute, and we are probably very grateful.
No need to be grateful. Why don't you try it yourself sometime soon, showering that is. Try water and soap this time though, I hear you fundies get washed in the blood of the lamb. That must be rather messy and not exactly what you could call hygienic!

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to be grateful. Why don't you try it yourself sometime soon, showering that is. Try water and soap this time though, I hear you fundies get washed in the blood of the lamb. That must be rather messy and not exactly what you could call hygienic!
Haven't you heard? We don't get wet, we walk on the surface.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't you heard? We don't get wet, we walk on the surface.
par five knows better than that.

Try again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 83,221 - 83,240 of83,860
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••