What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 Full story: www.christianpost.com 83,901

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Full Story

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#85314 Nov 22, 2012
IF
by Rudyard Kipling.....

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you........

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#85315 Nov 22, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Read what you have posted. Note I said "If anyone is observed..." I did not say people were cherry picking scripture I said "If." I don't feel any need to provide an example of "If" something happens.
You cannot give an example of anyone cherry picking Scripture..that being so, how would you know if they were cherry picking!!!!?????

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85316 Nov 22, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>sweet compassion.
you claimed that Christ never taught or spoke about hell, you were wrong. he was quite explicit about hell so now you throw this up?
Ecc chapter nine is about how what we are going to do in this life we better do now because "For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion."
"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
the dead can't do anything more. the evil man can not do evil anymore and he is forgotten by the living.
" their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun."
his advice to the living; "Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
8 Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.
9 Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.
10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;" because when you are dead; "there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave,"
really has nothing to do with the existence of hell.
Psalm 146 also is an exhortation to the living to praise the Lord while you can; "Praise ye the Lord. Praise the Lord, O my soul.
2 While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help."
because when you are dead your opportunity is gone; "His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."
Psalm 31:17 simply asks God to silence the wicked and dead men are silenced.
17 "Let me not be ashamed, O Lord; for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.
18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous."
there is no Ezk. 4:20...
Revelation 12:9 "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."
Revelation 20:10 " And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
vs 13 "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."
apparently dead isn't dead. you need to rethink your definition of dead.
"14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."
The teaching of HELL comes from Babylon....the 3rd Pagan world power. Same beliefs....the CC and Babylon have the very same teachings..........which are all false FREAKSHOW. A loving God burns imperfect people forever?? Get a life! Would you place your childs hand on a hot stove for eternity when he made a mistake????? Freakshow! God is indeed a criminal.....if He does this crap, He is the definition of such corruption!
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85317 Nov 22, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
The teaching of HELL comes from Babylon....the 3rd Pagan world power. Same beliefs....the CC and Babylon have the very same teachings..........which are all false FREAKSHOW. A loving God burns imperfect people forever?? Get a life! Would you place your childs hand on a hot stove for eternity when he made a mistake????? Freakshow! God is indeed a criminal.....if He does this crap, He is the definition of such corruption!
if you insist. but you must ignore the Bible and claim the Jesus was also a "freakshow" to hold the position you hold so i guess you really aren't bringing anything to the discussion.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#85318 Nov 22, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot give an example of anyone cherry picking Scripture..that being so, how would you know if they were cherry picking!!!!?????
Why don't you read what was actually written and get out of my face and off my case? I was not the one that said anyone was cherry picking. In fact I challenged the person who did say it. You do know what "IF" means don't you?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85319 Nov 22, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>if you insist. but you must ignore the Bible and claim the Jesus was also a "freakshow" to hold the position you hold so i guess you really aren't bringing anything to the discussion.
Jesus didn't believe in hellfire. It's purely symbolic of total destruction. NOT NEVERENDING SUFFERING.....You believe God is loving torture? You are sick, this was never His 1 second thought.

Location hidden

#85321 Nov 22, 2012
318 213
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you read what was actually written and get out of my face and off my case? I was not the one that said anyone was cherry picking. In fact I challenged the person who did say it. You do know what "IF" means don't you?
Thanks for confirming my words:
Quote: You cannot give an example of anyone cherry picking Scripture..that being so, how would you know if they were cherry picking!!!!?????
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85322 Nov 22, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't believe in hellfire. It's purely symbolic of total destruction. NOT NEVERENDING SUFFERING.....You believe God is loving torture? You are sick, this was never His 1 second thought.
so are these the words of Jesus or not?

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Mark 9:43
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 45
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 47
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
vs 48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

and if the Revelation is the revelation of Jesus Christ.....
Revelation 20:12-14
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

sure looks to me as though he believed and taught about a fire in hell.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#85323 Nov 22, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>so are these the words of Jesus or not?
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Mark 9:43
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 45
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
vs 46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
vs 47
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
vs 48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
and if the Revelation is the revelation of Jesus Christ.....
Revelation 20:12-14
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
sure looks to me as though he believed and taught about a fire in hell.
Barry: "sure looks to me as though he believed and taught about a fire in hell."

Jesus wasn't a BELIEVER!
He didn't preach about what He BELIEVED. His Teachings were based on what He KNEW.

US 62 @ US 81

#85324 Nov 23, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
318 213
<quoted text>
Thanks for confirming my words:
Quote: You cannot give an example of anyone cherry picking Scripture..that being so, how would you know if they were cherry picking!!!!?????
What is your problem? Do you have a reading deficency? I did NOT make an accusation that anyone was cherry picking. Someone else made the accusation then I told that someone if they saw anyone doing that for them to deal with it. So why should I give an esample of someone else's accusation?
If my explanation is too difficult for you to undrstadn I will try to use simpler word.
>

US 62 @ US 81

#85325 Nov 23, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian teaching on Hell comes from the NT and that teaching comes from the OT. From the time that Moses was given the law, hundreds of years before the Jews were captive in Babylon, the Jews believed in a place of eternal punishment of the wicked and they called it both Gehinnom and Sheol.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#85326 Nov 23, 2012
I always knew it was bronze age bollocks.
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian teaching on Hell comes from the NT and that teaching comes from the OT. From the time that Moses was given the law, hundreds of years before the Jews were captive in Babylon, the Jews believed in a place of eternal punishment of the wicked and they called it both Gehinnom and Sheol.

US 62 @ US 81

#85327 Nov 23, 2012
Thinking wrote:
I always knew it was bronze age bollocks.
<quoted text>
Your irrelevant opinion is noted.

US 62 @ US 81

#85328 Nov 23, 2012
Oxbow wrote:

As I have said several times I did NOT make the accusation that Christians cherry picked scripture. Nettie did. If you want examples of cherry picking ask her. This is the reply you will get if you continue asking this.
Nettiebelle wrote:
Trouble is that many Christians cherry pick scripture in hopes it supports their own personal take on the Bible.
lol

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/christian...
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85329 Nov 23, 2012
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
Barry: "sure looks to me as though he believed and taught about a fire in hell."
Jesus wasn't a BELIEVER!
He didn't preach about what He BELIEVED. His Teachings were based on what He KNEW.
i agree,
i was however responding to tj's comment that "Jesus didn't believe in hellfire." i was playing off his use of the word believe.
apparently tj doesn't have a very high opinion of Jesus.

Location hidden

#85330 Nov 23, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your problem? Do you have a reading deficency? I did NOT make an accusation that anyone was cherry picking. Someone else made the accusation then I told that someone if they saw anyone doing that for them to deal with it. So why should I give an esample of someone else's accusation?
If my explanation is too difficult for you to undrstadn I will try to use simpler word.
>
From the top:

A. Nettiebelle wrote: Then, I have noted that you agree with me.
(FYI there is nothing in her post about cherry picking Scripture.)

You said: If anyone is observed cherry picking scripture hoping it supports their own personal take on the Bible, then someone knowledgeable should call them on it.

You have a reading deficiency. I did NOT say you made an accusation that anyone was cherry picking. Rather, I said: Just curious...give an example of which you speak..

Location hidden

#85331 Nov 23, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have said several times I did NOT make the accusation that Christians cherry picked scripture. Nettie did. If you want examples of cherry picking ask her. This is the reply you will get if you continue asking this.
<quoted text>
From the top:

You said: If anyone is observed cherry picking scripture hoping it supports their own personal take on the Bible, then someone knowledgeable should call them on it.

You have a reading deficiency. I did NOT say you made an accusation that anyone was cherry picking. Rather, I said: Just curious...give an example of which you speak..
barry

Rainsville, AL

#85332 Nov 23, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
From the top:
no, from the top nettie said this first;

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Trouble is that many Christians cherry pick scripture in hopes it supports their own personal take on the Bible.
lol

maybe you can add something to this conversation besides a stubborn attempt to prove that you are always in some way technically right.

US 62 @ US 81

#85333 Nov 23, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
From the top:
No it is NOT from the top. You DO have a reading deficiency and also an unscriptural, argumentative, contentious attitude and evidently a huge chip on your shoulder. You have deliberately refused to understand/ignored my explanation.

Before you read any further I suggest you scroll up to my post #85328 and read the post which started this line of discussion.

Nettiebelle wrote:
Trouble is that many Christians cherry pick scripture in hopes it supports their own personal take on the Bible.
lol

The post which you keep arguing about is my 2d reply to Nettie’s post #85304, quoted above. When Nettie misunderstood my 1st reply I rephrased it. Please note as I have been saying all along I did not say that anyone was cherry picking, Nettie did and I challenged her by saying,“If anyone is observed cherry picking scripture…then…”
You would know this if you had bothered to read. Nettie’s post is #3 above the one you keep arguing about.
But you evidently are so convinced that you are right and so determined to get in my face that you didn’t even try to check it out..

US 62 @ US 81

#85334 Nov 23, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>no, from the top nettie said this first;
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Trouble is that many Christians cherry pick scripture in hopes it supports their own personal take on the Bible.
lol
maybe you can add something to this conversation besides a stubborn attempt to prove that you are always in some way technically right.
Thanx Barry. If you were able to see what I have been saying all along, then Oxbow should have been able to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 44 min Chess 560,547
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 17 hr Gee-Tee 8,721
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence Fri QUITTNER Dec 26 2014 4
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Dec 23 woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web