What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 | Posted by: Paul Zannucci | Full story: www.christianpost.com

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Comments
83,121 - 83,140 of 83,830 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2013
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>... I would also be wrong, then, for using the actual, literal translation "Passover" at Acts 12:4 and not "Easter," considering that the actual, literal translation of "pascha," which is the actual, literal Greek term found in the verse and the actual, literal Greek equivalent of the Hebrew "pecach," is "Passover" and not "Easter."
NOTE: I'm fully aware that many concordances have "Easter" as a proper translation for the term "pascha." I believe this is most erroneous, though, as it's factual that the Israelites never observed, by commandment, any feast called "Easter," and the Greek "pascha" is, indeed, the equivalent of the Hebrew "pecach."
~sigh~
so, you can be so sure. what is the greek phrase for "happy easter"? what is the spanish phrase for "happy easter"? how about the italian, french, dutch? they all use the same root word as the greek "pascha"
all these languages and they all translate easter the same way.
perhaps you should realize that the word pascha is really a chaldean word and may have a broader meaning than you wish to apply.
while the hebrew word for "passover" appears similar it may not even have any relationship to it.
the hebrew word for "pass over" as used in Exodus 12 is "pacach" which has an obvious relationship to "passover" in the hebrew which is "Pecach" always the feast.
however the Greek word for "pass over" is "parerchomal". it has no relationship to "pascha" which is translated "passover" or "easter".

so if this word "pascha" is really a chaldean/pagan word what do you think it could also mean?
the word it's self does not support your claim.
the universal use of the word does not support your claim.

now if you look at Acts 12, it says that peter was held during the days of the "unleavened bread" [Then were the days of unleavened bread, vs3] the Passover was the 14th day of the month and beginning with the 15th day to the 21st day [7 more days] was the feast of the unleavened bread. so the passover was already past. but easter, the pagan holiday or the celebration of the resurrection may not have already passed.
the words of the context do not support your claim.

now, why would herod wait for the passover to pass before he would execute peter? they had previously had no problem with executing Jesus on the passover. why would herod hold the passover as special? he was not a strict jew by any stretch of the imagination. but he could have held the pagan holiday as something special because ceasar did.
the context of the culture does not support your claim.

easter is the right translation as agreed by the 40 some translators of the KJ Bible who were certainly more gifted and learned in the languages than you or i and by those who went back and "corrected" mistakes that were found later.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>really?
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Mark 9:43
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mark 9:45
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mark 9:47
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Revelation 20:12-14
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
perhaps you need a new Bible. your's apparently is missing theses words of Jesus.
FREAKSHOW....ECC. 9:5, 10 Dead cannot be tortured forever......Ps. 146:4...Ps. 31:17.......Ezk. 4:20....The dead are dead...look in a dictionary...dead is dead. Gehenna is a dump outside Jerusalem...it ONLY symbolizes complete death. A God who would burn people FOREVER....imperfect people YET....is worse than a serial killer today...God is the instigator of the INQUISITION????....CRUSADES??? ...Look at the history of your GOD!!!!!.....False religion teaches this crap from Babylon. It's paganism that Constantine combined into the dogma of crap. You Freakshows don't know God. Not even His name.....You Tools should change your handle on this site to MAN...no name, just MAN. The same thinking is what you so-called christians use in indentifying who God..WHICH ONE?....is. Falsehoods abound......Who do you serve?...Rev. 12:9.....2 Corinthians 4:4.......I DARE YOU TO READ THESE SCRIPTURES THAT YOU OMIT IN YOUR MISLED LIVES..........TJ

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
FREAKSHOW....ECC. 9:5, 10 Dead cannot be tortured forever......Ps. 146:4...Ps. 31:17.......Ezk. 4:20....The dead are dead...look in a dictionary...dead is dead. Gehenna is a dump outside Jerusalem...it ONLY symbolizes complete death. A God who would burn people FOREVER....imperfect people YET....is worse than a serial killer today...God is the instigator of the INQUISITION????....CRUSADES??? ...Look at the history of your GOD!!!!!.....False religion teaches this crap from Babylon. It's paganism that Constantine combined into the dogma of crap. You Freakshows don't know God. Not even His name.....You Tools should change your handle on this site to MAN...no name, just MAN. The same thinking is what you so-called christians use in indentifying who God..WHICH ONE?....is. Falsehoods abound......Who do you serve?...Rev. 12:9.....2 Corinthians 4:4.......I DARE YOU TO READ THESE SCRIPTURES THAT YOU OMIT IN YOUR MISLED LIVES..........TJ
Blah, blah, blah Lies, lies, more lies, blah, blah, blah misrepresentations blah, blah, blah twisted information blah, blah, blah misquotes blah, blah, blah out-of-context blah, blah, blah bulk warp blah, blah, blah

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Blah, blah, blah Lies, lies, more lies, blah, blah, blah misrepresentations blah, blah, blah twisted information blah, blah, blah misquotes blah, blah, blah out-of-context blah, blah, blah bulk warp blah, blah, blah
LOVE YOUR FREAKSHOW....GOD, origionator of the INQUISITION and the 12 CRUSADES.....BILLIONS of lives have been extinguished by the Catholic Church and Protestants. That's why we still have WAR today..........TRUTH.......TRU TH......BURY your little HEAD in sand.

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
LOVE YOUR FREAKSHOW....GOD, origionator of the INQUISITION and the 12 CRUSADES.....BILLIONS of lives have been extinguished by the Catholic Church and Protestants. That's why we still have WAR today..........TRUTH.......TRU TH......BURY your little HEAD in sand.
Yeah right. Try learning something instead of parroting the same ol' lame ol' lying gas garbage! Tell that to the Jews in Israel right now be rocketed, not by Christians but, by Islamic Jihadists. There are an average of 130,00-160,000 Christians killed, per year, for their faith somewhere in the world mainly in Islamic countries. That is 200 a day, one every minute. Tell me some more of that mindless anti-Christian dog puke!

“Think for Yourself”

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right. Try learning something instead of parroting the same ol' lame ol' lying gas garbage! Tell that to the Jews in Israel right now be rocketed, not by Christians but, by Islamic Jihadists. There are an average of 130,00-160,000 Christians killed, per year, for their faith somewhere in the world mainly in Islamic countries. That is 200 a day, one every minute. Tell me some more of that mindless anti-Christian dog puke!
Israel is a terrorist state, it reaps what it sows!

“Land of Entrapment”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
<quoted text>
You really buy this.that Israel is the terrorist state. You are whacked.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
FORGET JEWS.....Catholics Killed millions more souls.....read a history book you FREAKSHOW.....HOW could you be so ignorant????

“Think for Yourself”

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Repeat: Israel is a terrorist state, it reaps what it sows!

“Think for Yourself”

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
http://www.ifamericansknew.org /stats/deaths.html
Thank you for this link, par five.
I bookmarked it and will read it.
I have heard others say exactly what you say about Israel.
I need to be more informed.
:)

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
Israel has been repeatedly attacked by neighboring Islamic states since it became a nation. It is not terrorism to defend their country.

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
Repeat: Israel is a terrorist state, it reaps what it sows!
Repeat you are just spewing anti-Israel propaganda. Sean Connery had a line in the movie the Untouchables that I think fits Israel's situation here. "He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue."
When all the Islamic states surrounding Israel, who are constantly attacking sites and people in Israel, get the message that Israel will not sit idly by and tolerate it, the violence will stop.

“Think for Yourself”

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Israel has been repeatedly attacked by neighboring Islamic states since it became a nation. It is not terrorism to defend their country.
I agree that a nation has a right to defend itself, but so often in the Israeli Palestine conflict, Israel's response to violence has been totally disproportionate. Their treatment of the Palestinian people over the years has been appalling. It is hardly surprising that things are the way they are today!

“Think for Yourself”

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeat you are just spewing anti-Israel propaganda. Sean Connery had a line in the movie the Untouchables that I think fits Israel's situation here. "He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue."
When all the Islamic states surrounding Israel, who are constantly attacking sites and people in Israel, get the message that Israel will not sit idly by and tolerate it, the violence will stop.
"He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue." That's the sort of John Wayne mentality that only leads to more bloodshed and violence. I'm not really surprised that that sort of attitude appeals to you Allen!

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
"He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue." That's the sort of John Wayne mentality that only leads to more bloodshed and violence. I'm not really surprised that that sort of attitude appeals to you Allen!
Thank you.
soapmann

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

http://youtube.com/watch... Old Fart divides the Mass's
Jaimie

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Israel?

Afhganastan? what was that story in 1960-1970s? I heard these are the people that we never met that are assigned to hurt us for a hate crime. Who were they, wait, dont want to know, I live in a partment complex and dont even know all my neighbors nor a desire to.

So who gives a shit really. You have a home or apartment or inbetween stadnard living in sheter or other, it takes about 3 months to get back that 18 year old industrial feel, give it time. No sense pointing fingers at USA it is only 1 % consumers of the planet. It is the size of a pea to a giant melon compared to all their naitons what bug crawled under their skin or in their ear chattering.

Go see a Doctor and leave us alone.

“Think for Yourself”

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
Thank you? for what, for thinking you are a prat who believes violence is the answer? How biblical of you!

“Think for Yourself”

Somewhere in Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Jaimie wrote:
<quoted text>
Israel?
Afhganastan? what was that story in 1960-1970s? I heard these are the people that we never met that are assigned to hurt us for a hate crime. Who were they, wait, dont want to know, I live in a partment complex and dont even know all my neighbors nor a desire to.
So who gives a shit really. You have a home or apartment or inbetween stadnard living in sheter or other, it takes about 3 months to get back that 18 year old industrial feel, give it time. No sense pointing fingers at USA it is only 1 % consumers of the planet. It is the size of a pea to a giant melon compared to all their naitons what bug crawled under their skin or in their ear chattering.
Go see a Doctor and leave us alone.
It's you who needs to go and see a doctor Jaimie, if your rambling mess of a post is anything to go by! Perhaps I am being too harsh, maybe English is not your first language.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Oxbow 533,519
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 27 min Cultastic 8,196
Filipino Catholics hails new saints 12 hr INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 31
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... 15 hr psycho 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... 21 hr ELIAS IBARRA 60
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Jul 26 Link Forrester 3
More Jul 24 True Christian witness 2
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••