Pope wades diplomatically into gay marriage debate

Jun 14, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Seattle Times

Pope Francis waded diplomatically into the gay marriage debate Friday, telling the Archbishop of Canterbury he wants to work together to promote family values "based on marriage."

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of132
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Pope Francis, " Every person needs a masculine father and a feminine mother to help them settle their identity."

Gee, I had a masculine father and a feminine mother, and my gay identity was "settled" in 1959, when I came out at age 15. And then, there is this (I presume straight) guy who was raised by a lesbian couple: http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

So we have Rome, Moscow and Canterbury marching in goose ste ... uh ... I mean lock step.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

RalphB wrote:
Pope Francis, " Every person needs a masculine father and a feminine mother to help them settle their identity."
Gee, I had a masculine father and a feminine mother, and my gay identity was "settled" in 1959, when I came out at age 15. And then, there is this (I presume straight) guy who was raised by a lesbian couple: http://www.youtube.com/watch...
What happens if the parents are straight but the woman is the masculine one?
Dan

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

What did you guys expect him to say? What position did you expect him to take?

Sitting here hacking on him for affirming Catholic teaching is pretty childish. It's like complaining that water is wet.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
What happens if the parents are straight but the woman is the masculine one?
Oh, you mean like the Bachmanns?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
What did you guys expect him to say? What position did you expect him to take?
Sitting here hacking on him for affirming Catholic teaching is pretty childish. It's like complaining that water is wet.
This is what we do in our TOPIX Gay/Lesbian chat room; sugar
Perhaps Paul should have included eavesdropping in 1 Corinthians 6:9/10?
Dan

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what we do in our TOPIX Gay/Lesbian chat room; sugar
Perhaps Paul should have included eavesdropping in 1 Corinthians 6:9/10?
No problem for me. Its your time to waste. It just seems non-substantive to complain about a prelate affirming his faith.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem for me. Its your time to waste. It just seems non-substantive to complain about a prelate affirming his faith.
If we ignore the enemy; they will whip our butts
We're in it to win it
Dan

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
If we ignore the enemy; they will whip our butts
We're in it to win it
Wrong fight.

You're not going to change the RCC's position on marriage.
AzAdam

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

I think this is a first, subtle step out of the way. He intends to stop obstructing equal rights without changing the churches teachings on it. At least I hope.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong fight.
We don't have to. We want to reach the intelligent, thoughtful people who vote. We are just pointing out that the RCC's position is only viable for those who believe in discrimination and bigotry in law. I don't think that defines the American public, or we wouldn't have made the great strides we have. And will continue to have. So we will continue to point that that "The Emperor Has No Clothes".

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

oops...... So we will continue to point out that.....

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

AzAdam wrote:
I think this is a first, subtle step out of the way. He intends to stop obstructing equal rights without changing the churches teachings on it. At least I hope.
He should stop. Look at all of the countries that have SSM and are mostly Catholic! Amazing.(Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico) the only ones I know of, could be more.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong fight.
Our position on marriage has nothing to do with other people's religious superstitions
So their mandate is to go away and mind their own business; so we can do the same
Qwerty26

Rehoboth Beach, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong fight.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Look at how the RCC has changed over the millennia in response to social pressure. They don't burn witches any more, do they? Or support slavery (once widely accepted).
Dan

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Qwerty26 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Look at how the RCC has changed over the millennia in response to social pressure. They don't burn witches any more, do they? Or support slavery (once widely accepted).
Neither were Church doctrine.

The Pope couldn't change their teaching on marriage if he wanted to.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have much problem with affirming faith, but that isn't the real plan.

These guys are planning to get very political to IMPOSE that faith upon the Civil structures of Free people, whether members of their "faith" or not.

I very much DO have problems with followers of Yeshua being "prelates" when he instructed his followers to be "the best servant"; parasites in palaces who CALL themselves servants then act like medieval "nobility" (read: godfathers), arrogating to themselves to decide who gets to participate in the benefits of non-religious, non-sectarian, Civil society; and further that their teachings and religious impositions pose significant risks to public health and the commonweal of poverty-stricken regions of the world.

There are reasons why "pontificating" is a perjorative.

Since: Jun 13

Montrose, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Judged:

This article was under the heading of the Roman Catholic Forum so why don't all you militant homosexual perverts just go back where yuo belong.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

So, if your father is less than masculine in what, looks? Behavior? Swearing? Sex drive? Beer drinking?

And your mother is less than feminine in, what, looks? Dress wearing? Staying at home? Producing children" Speaking softly? Deferring to her man?

Then, your identity will never be "settled?"

What the heck does ANY of this mean?

Just what is the Church's formal definition of masculine and feminine? It is hormones? Looks? Certain behaviors?

What identity is being settled, exactly?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Judged:

anglicanusepapa wrote:
This article was under the heading of the Roman Catholic Forum so why don't all you militant homosexual perverts just go back where yuo belong.
It's also posted in the gay/lesbian forum.

Cross-posting, anyone?

If a religious leader says silly or irrational things about gay people, the posts usually end up here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of132
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••