Vatican official: Atheist's theories 'absurd'

Mar 3, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MSNBC

Vatican official calls atheist's theories 'absurd' Cardinal Levada: No conflict between evolution science and faith in God A A How we worship A A Judaism Jews pray at the Mount of Olives, matzoh is baked in ...

Comments
221 - 234 of 234 Comments Last updated Jul 1, 2013
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#222 Sep 20, 2012
MattJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I KNOW you disagree with it. What I don't know is how you can live with this inconsistency, since a LOT of what you claim in these forums is NOT proved by the only "scientific method" you admit exists.
<quoted text>
Yet a shocking number of people really do act as if they did -- for a while.
More important: you cannot disprove solipsism with your "scientific method". You need something more. That something more is supplied by philosophy, which gave perfectly find philosophical proofs that solipsism is wrong long ago.
Pyrrhus just deliberately IGNORED the proofs.
<quoted text>
Not at all: how, for example, do you verify the principle of non-contradiction? What model's prediction can you use to do this?
You've simply been plonked, smack bang in the judaism forum.
Solipsism and Pyrrhus...Simone de Beauvoir.
Or are you leading us in a merry dance here?
Pyrrhus must have been lacking one of thse or if we are talkingf the king than it was do or die, never mind the losses.
Daimonon: the inner voice of divine origin, according to the Apologia of Socrates it warned him not to entertain certain actions.

But do continue, makes an interesting read for a change.
Tom

Haldensleben, Germany

#223 Sep 24, 2012
it is naturally no conflict between theory of evolution and faith in God.
God is very complicated eternal Being and He has created very complicated worlds, universes, animate and inanimate matter and everything is logical, complexed dependent on each other
I know what the problem is. Our brain cannot sometimes accept this thought that it can be Being, who is eternal, because our bodies and our universe is dependent strictly on time. But our bodies will die, but souls it means our mind ( this part, which animates body )are eternal too.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#224 Sep 24, 2012
Tom wrote:
it is naturally no conflict between theory of evolution and faith in God.
God is very complicated eternal Being and He has created very complicated worlds, universes, animate and inanimate matter and everything is logical, complexed dependent on each other
I know what the problem is. Our brain cannot sometimes accept this thought that it can be Being, who is eternal, because our bodies and our universe is dependent strictly on time. But our bodies will die, but souls it means our mind ( this part, which animates body )are eternal too.
Tom, as an agnostic, I cannot find too much to disagree with on your above post.

IF there is a Supreme Being, I would think -- because of all the evidence pointing me to this conclusion -- that this Deity employed the processes as described by science (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology -- the latter of which includes the Theory of Evolution) as his 'toolbox' to do His bidding.

I have read somewhere that persons who are of a Fundimentalist mindset, have a psychological need to have "Answers". These individuals are uncomfortable with not having concrete, absolute responses to the Big Questions such as: "How did life begin".

They would rather "KNOW" the answer, no matter HOW rediculous the answer is -- such as the story in Genesis. Science, on the other hand does not claim to "KNOW" the answer, but instead has multiple lines of independant inference that suggests that the Genesis story is completely inaccurate.
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#225 Sep 24, 2012
"If you believe in judgement day I have to seriously question you judgement."

Bill Maher
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#226 Sep 25, 2012
"The Catholic Church is not a necessary organization.
It is a nonsensical organization, a bunch of fat, lazy, do-nothings who have been living off the public dole for centuries. The fact that they do good is a testament to the fact that there are good people who will do good, but the organization is corrupt, it is poison to its core and it serves no good purpose, no true purpose, it's lie after lie promoting harm to real people. The Catholic Church is not a force for good."

-Matt Dillahunty

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Tenerife

#227 Oct 4, 2012
I think the Vatican's theories are absolutely ludicrous, totally wrong and purely evil.
lol

Wheeling, IL

#228 Oct 7, 2012
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
And what Ive always asked for is proof of his nonexistence.
How can you prove that doesn't exist? That's like saying you want prove of your never existent third eye?

Location hidden

#229 Oct 8, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you prove that doesn't exist? That's like saying you want prove of your never existent third eye?
Aside from not proving a negative,(nor the positive, since that is what believe is about.)
theology (bar judaism) caters in abstractions. It's no use attacking abstractions.
LOVE f.i.
A theoretical phycisist 'proved 'that by certain definitions a god-concept would fall outside the realm of possibilities.
So usually we are left with attacking religion, as a man made institution. And end up getting the wind knocked out by such concepts as 'dogma'and 'doctrine'.
As in we are entirely right to state it is all myth, physically improbable and balderdash, and we acknowledge that, but a believer subcribes to our dogma and doctrines.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#230 Oct 9, 2012
The vatican speaks out!(lol)

Vatican officials, History of sex abuse for 17 centuries, and the rest of them lied, deceived and covered up the worst sins of all, and the vatican has the nerve to question others. UNBELIEVABLE!

http://www.richardsipe.com/patrick_wall/execu...

People wonder why 1 in 10 adult americans today are former catholics.
zubda abbas saeed hakeem

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

#231 Oct 10, 2012
im not an athiest and i wouldnt like to call myself one and i am planning to start my own blog in which i would like to give my real portrayl of who i am!

Location hidden

#232 Oct 10, 2012
We live and learn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia
I used to term that second phase onset pedophilia.
As in man gradually getting older and since they have no concept of decorum and getting old gracefully, but are in their minds-eye still young and attractive.(So a friendly gesture to the old man is translated by him as being found sexually attractive by the person being friendly)
And since he is getting older but surrounded by younger people, the mis-appropriation only grows.
And given that 8 in 10 men have a negative opinion about women, this must be wide-spread.

Ever since reading about that i keep a wary eye on older man.(Lock them up when they are past forty. grin.)

Location hidden

#233 Oct 10, 2012
zubda abbas saeed hakeem wrote:
im not an athiest and i wouldnt like to call myself one and i am planning to start my own blog in which i would like to give my real portrayl of who i am!
And what prompts you to make that announcement in this thread?

Location hidden

#234 Oct 10, 2012
According to the vatican you are of course an atheist. (Those that not adhere to their god-idea) Ah it's all an unholy muddle.
Economist

Grand Island, NY

#235 Jul 1, 2013
Book Description

Evolving out of Eden Robert M. Price (Author), Edwin Suominen (Author)

Amazon Kindle Edition $9.99 Paperback $17.95 4.2 out of 5 stars (21 customer reviews)

Publication Date: March 19, 2013 Length: 353 pages

It is now beyond any scientific dispute that all life evolved by a natural process of random mutation and DNA crossover, genetic drift, horizontal gene transfer, and natural selection.

We are the highly refined but happenstance products of blind experimentation carried out in a design laboratory that has been running itself for billions of years.

We are first cousins to the chimpanzees, descendants not of any biblical Adam but of lumbering hairy ancestors who were making fires and hand axes in Africa hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Accepting this has been especially difficult for Christianity, because evolution challenges many foundational doctrines.

Concerned believers are walking a troubled middle path between Genesis and genetics, threatened with the loss of a cherished faith on the one hand or their intellectual integrity on the other.

Numerous science-savvy theologians have emerged to help them on their way, a whole cottage industry of guides working to establish their own different trails through the hostile territory outside Edens comforting fairyland.

Writing with the combination of high criticism and low humor that fans have come to love from Robert M. Price, he and co-author Edwin A. Suominen survey the apologetic landscape and offer their own frank reckoning of evolutions significance for Christian belief.

This is a fine primer for those who still have not acepted the reality of evolution.

Read it, then we can have an intelligent discussion of the facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Anthony MN 538,905
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 22 hr Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Wed Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••