Pope Francis orders overhaul of U.S. nuns to continue

Full story: The Washington Post

Nearly a year after the Vatican announced a makeover of the largest umbrella group for American nuns, Pope Francis has directed that the overhaul of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious continue.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Apr 19, 2013
Really

AOL

#1 Apr 15, 2013
I think the pope should concentrate on getting the priest phedophiles straightened up first before he starts in on the nuns. I have never heard of a nun molesting a child, but I have heard more than I want to know about priests rapeing little boys.
Catholic Who Knows Nuns

Birmingham, MI

#2 Apr 15, 2013
Really wrote:
I think the pope should concentrate on getting the priest phedophiles straightened up first before he starts in on the nuns. I have never heard of a nun molesting a child, but I have heard more than I want to know about priests rapeing little boys.
Bravo to our new pope these nuns are not really Catholic they want to change the Roman Catholic into some type of sect. Really, why don't they disassociate themselves and start their own church. Sad but truth the majority of the nuns in the USA have lost their way...Pray for them!

“Boot to the Head”

Since: Jul 08

Mogadore, OH

#3 Apr 16, 2013
Catholic Who Knows Nuns wrote:
<quoted text>Bravo to our new pope these nuns are not really Catholic they want to change the Roman Catholic into some type of sect. Really, why don't they disassociate themselves and start their own church. Sad but truth the majority of the nuns in the USA have lost their way...Pray for them!
What happened to speaking the truth with love?

I don't know if the LCWR represents the majority of sisters and nuns. They are the majority of the leadership, which is scary.

The encouraging thing is that the more traditional orders are thriving and expanding, while the fringe elements continue to age fail to bring in young members.
UH-HUH

AOL

#4 Apr 16, 2013
98% Of Catholic women use birth control {pills} is he going after them next?
razzmatazz

Falls City, NE

#5 Apr 16, 2013
Cathoholic wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened to speaking the truth with love?
I don't know if the LCWR represents the majority of sisters and nuns. They are the majority of the leadership, which is scary.
The encouraging thing is that the more traditional orders are thriving and expanding, while the fringe elements continue to age fail to bring in young members.
You are so right. Ever notice the nuns who are liberal are not getting new members? That the average age is fifty something? Notice the stricter Orders are young and thriving esp the cloistered nuns. I grew up with the Ursuline nuns as teachers and they were so liberal in the seventies my bishop asked them to leave. Now I hear several want to be priests! Wow. I notice to that the Order is dying out.

“Boot to the Head”

Since: Jul 08

Mogadore, OH

#6 Apr 16, 2013
UH-HUH wrote:
98% Of Catholic women use birth control {pills} is he going after them next?
While use of contraceptives is a serious moral issue for a Catholic, and until recently was also considered out of bounds for protestant Christians, it does not rise to the level of preaching contrary to Church doctrine by vowed religious sisters.

Apples and oranges, both rotten, both probably well meaning.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7 Apr 18, 2013
Cathoholic wrote:
<quoted text>
While use of contraceptives is a serious moral issue for a Catholic, and until recently was also considered out of bounds for protestant Christians, it does not rise to the level of preaching contrary to Church doctrine by vowed religious sisters.
Apples and oranges, both rotten, both probably well meaning.
Cathololic - Just stopped by to say hi; haven't seen you for a while. Hope you're doing okay :)

“Boot to the Head”

Since: Jul 08

Mogadore, OH

#8 Apr 19, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Cathololic - Just stopped by to say hi; haven't seen you for a while. Hope you're doing okay :)
Doin fine, hope you are too.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9 Apr 19, 2013
Cathoholic wrote:
<quoted text>
Doin fine, hope you are too.
As well as can be expected, thanks :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min seriously the ori... 539,024
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Thu Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Aug 27 Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••