A Guide To Catholic Sex Scandals

A Guide To Catholic Sex Scandals

There are 12 comments on the ABC News story from Aug 15, 2010, titled A Guide To Catholic Sex Scandals. In it, ABC News reports that:

More than a dozen of the church's worst sex abuse scandals of the past 30 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

Soularpowered

Pomerene, AZ

#1 Aug 16, 2010
What is your point in posting this topic? There has never been a mature human being that has not had to make extremely difficult decisions in their life. As human beings, not withstanding the Holy Fathers prayer time with the Holy Spirit, there will in retrospeck a mistake. However, it just might also be that the choice-decisions made were the very best for all concerned at the time and in those exact circumstances that only the Holy Father was privy too.
In your life and the life of every human being decisions are made when you think you have full information to work from and in reality you do not know beans about the truth of anything. Only the involved individuals and God have enough information to be the deciding judge. Get a real Catholic life of service to God's people then you will have something to discuss.
Catholic

Waterloo, Canada

#2 Aug 17, 2010
Soularpowered wrote:
What is your point in posting this topic? There has never been a mature human being that has not had to make extremely difficult decisions in their life. As human beings, not withstanding the Holy Fathers prayer time with the Holy Spirit, there will in retrospeck a mistake. However, it just might also be that the choice-decisions made were the very best for all concerned at the time and in those exact circumstances that only the Holy Father was privy too.
In your life and the life of every human being decisions are made when you think you have full information to work from and in reality you do not know beans about the truth of anything. Only the involved individuals and God have enough information to be the deciding judge. Get a real Catholic life of service to God's people then you will have something to discuss.
Very nice Observation...Let's all Pray for Healing in the Church...inside and to those hostle to it that they also may Pray for peace and healing...
Catholic

Waterloo, Canada

#3 Aug 17, 2010
Catholic wrote:
<quoted text>
Very nice Observation...Let's all Pray for Healing in the Church...inside and to those hostle to it that they also may Pray for peace and healing...
Correcting my word..."and FOR those hostle to it"
Thanks
Economist

North Tonawanda, NY

#4 Aug 17, 2010
The two previous commentators appear as fervently wishing to hush up the news of these rogues as the church leaders were and still do attempt.

These pictures and accompanying words ought to be posted in every parish hall so as to indicate that the church is no longer interested in putting a lid on these pedophile priests and bishops, etc

Not to report these crimes was criminal in and of itself.

That makes most bishops criminal accomplices in the crimes.

Their pictures ought to be posted with the other pedophiles.

Too strong?

Ask the victims for their opnions!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#5 Aug 18, 2010
Catholic wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, let's pray the indecencies of the church away.
I'm sure the children prayed to stop being molested.
Prayer doesn't DO anything if you haven't noticed.
Is it not just as(if not more)'evil' to see abuse being done and do nothing about as it is to do those things yourself?
Maybe you should rethink why you pray to such an obviously immoral and useless being.
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
-Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)
Catholic

Warwick, RI

#6 Aug 19, 2010
critical-thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, let's pray the indecencies of the church away.
I'm sure the children prayed to stop being molested.
Prayer doesn't DO anything if you haven't noticed.
Is it not just as(if not more)'evil' to see abuse being done and do nothing about as it is to do those things yourself?
Maybe you should rethink why you pray to such an obviously immoral and useless being.
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
-Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)
This descibes it better than I could...
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12345b.htm

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#7 Aug 20, 2010
Catholic wrote:
<quoted text>
This descibes it better than I could...
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12345b.htm
I understand why theists pray (I was once a theist), I'm simply asking one to rethink why they pray at all(there is no evidence to support prayer having any effect on the physical world/reality) and to rethink why they pray specifically to a being (which also has no evidence to support it) that clearly does nothing to prevent or stop molestation of children by people who are supposed to be the most 'holy' of all.I added the Epicurus quote to show the problem with the 'He's willing and able but he just chooses not to' issue.
If we have free will and supernatural beings cannot change or effect that free will then prayers cannot be answered.Also, if everything is happening according to 'god's plan', why would you expect prayer to change the 'perfect plan created by a perfect being'? This blog post goes furter into this issue. http://dikkiisdiatribe.blogspot.com/2006/07/h...

Since: Jun 09

DeKalb, IL

#8 Aug 20, 2010
the Dallas charter in 2002 was a strong and bold action of the Church to resolve many years of abuse. The steps taken were implemented for all persons working in the Church - not just the clergy. It also made efforts to reach out to victims for support and healing.

There is no other organization which has done this.
Obi Won

Malta, IL

#9 Aug 27, 2010
All the while people are rehashing the past sins of priests, teacher regularly sexually molest children and teens, under the watchful eyes of their supervisors.

What those preists did to children was terrible, and the bishops seemed reluctant to move too quickly. But if we are really concerned about children Let's stop the sexual abuse by teachers.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#10 Aug 27, 2010
1:10 pm, Friday, August 27, 2010:
RE: A Guide To Catholic Sex Scandals
COPIED from an earlier thread:
QUITTNER Toronto, Canada 5pm, Monday, August 23, 2010:
RE: Canadian cardinal to set tone for Church
..... As for abortion, I repeat that those who advocate strenously the keeping alive the UNborn should with at least the same efforts strenously advocate the keeping alive of the BORN! No more killings! Expel from the church, and excommunicate them, all those who have been convicted of killing anyone, except in self-defense.
..... As for the abuse scandal, my view is that it was up to the victims or their parents, not the church authorities, AT THE TIME, to go to the police and help them collect sufficient evidence that would convict pedophiles and other abusers according to the applicable laws of the land. Only after conviction, if any, should the church authorities have acted to remove these people immediately from leadership positions in the church. Remember: those who have not (yet) been convicted are deemed to be still innocent, even if arrested, and charged..
Furchizedek

Paducah, TX

#11 Jan 24, 2013
Soularpowered wrote:
What is your point in posting this topic? There has never been a mature human being that has not had to make extremely difficult decisions in their life. As human beings, not withstanding the Holy Fathers prayer time
"Call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." (Matthew 23:9)

Since: Jan 12

Kingman, Arizona

#12 Jan 24, 2013
Soularpowered wrote:
What is your point in posting this topic? There has never been a mature human being that has not had to make extremely difficult decisions in their life. As human beings, not withstanding the Holy Fathers prayer time...
"Call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." (Matthew 23:9)

That's what Jesus says about calling priests "Father" and the priest in Rome, "The Holy Father."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min kent 668,045
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 3 hr Phillip 340
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jan 20 Married in 10,389
News Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Jan 14 Serah 14,364
News 7 reasons why Friday the 13th is considered an ... Jan 14 True Christian wi... 3
News Women should breastfeed in church, Pope Francis... Jan 11 Jeremy 3
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory (Jul '15) Dec 30 Dogen 508
More from around the web