Out of darkness, Indiana's first saint

Out of darkness, Indiana's first saint

There are 44 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 14, 2006, titled Out of darkness, Indiana's first saint. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Our position: Blessed Mother Theodore Guerin's historic life provides a lesson in faith and courage edifying for all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Robert Finch

Olive Branch, MS

#21 Oct 24, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
Robert, healing was not a tradition but it was a direct act of God.
I agree with you on many things and we do not have to agree on everything to get to Heaven. As you said, the main thing is to follow Christ and be certain he is first in our lives.
You are my brother and lets be happy in hoping we shall meet in Heaven some day because of our Lord and Savor, Jesus Christ.
Greetings oldthingker:
Healing is a gift from God, by His Grace. This cannot be disputed. But I do remember Paul did some healing, by laying on of hands Acts28:8,9
Also Peter did some healing, Acts3:6, and I love this scripture,"Silver and gold I have not, but what I have I give to you:in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.", as he spoke to the lame man....
And since we are able to do even greater things, I think this "tradition" has been handed to us. The problem is that we live in such a crooked and perverse world, that such are rare (and I regret many psuedo-miracles of healing are taking place). And I think this is what you are "concerned" about.
One might say after years of investigation, the Catholic Church does acknowledge true miracles. And when the circumstance is warranted declare sainthood to those worthy of such recognition in this world. And this sainthood is for the believers, that they can admire, and recognize their devotion to Jesus.
(Lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater and say no one is worthy of admiration in their running the good race....)
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#22 Oct 24, 2006
I have been healed twice. Once from stomach ulcers that occured many times in my life until I was healed on a Sunday morning in a small church.

The second time I had torn the ligaments up in my ankle and had gone on with this problem quite awhile. A group of believers in Jesus gathered around me and prayed for me and I was instantly healed. This ankle is the better ankle I have today.

It is God who does the healing. The new Testament people who saw people healed were very careful to explain that it was not them but Jesus was the healer.

I think some of you may think I do not believe Catholics can go to Heaven. I do not feel that way.
All who accept Jesus and follow Him with all their hearts can inherit eternal life.
Robert Finch

Ville Platte, LA

#23 Oct 26, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
I have been healed twice. Once from stomach ulcers that occured many times in my life until I was healed on a Sunday morning in a small church.
The second time I had torn the ligaments up in my ankle and had gone on with this problem quite awhile. A group of believers in Jesus gathered around me and prayed for me and I was instantly healed. This ankle is the better ankle I have today.
It is God who does the healing. The new Testament people who saw people healed were very careful to explain that it was not them but Jesus was the healer.
I think some of you may think I do not believe Catholics can go to Heaven. I do not feel that way.
All who accept Jesus and follow Him with all their hearts can inherit eternal life.
Healing is a Gift from God, by His Grace. Jesus is the Gift from God.
I do not deny small churches their connection to Jesus, and Jesus healing physical illnesses.
I suggest however, that Jesus is more into healing our relationships with God. And it is much harder for spiritual healings, that last for eternity, than physical healings that last mortal lifetime....But Praise God for them both....
Wranglerman

Jeffersonville, IN

#25 Oct 26, 2006
I am just sort of saddened by persons literal translation of biblical passages. God gave man the greatest gift in the universe, the ability to think for oneself, to learn and grow, and to use his teachings as guide to map the route of our lives.
When a person loses this ability, to think for themselves, to answer for themselves, and to do so, not only as a man, but as a child of God, we have turned our backs on the gifts that he has given to us.
I am sure there are many more people out there who feel that the cannonazation of this nun by the vatican is a bastardazation of Gods laws. To each their own, but when it is not your church, when it is not your saint, then it is not for you to say what is right and what is wrong, there is only one who has that right, I dont think we will see a posting on here from him.
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#26 Oct 26, 2006
Robert Finch wrote:
<quoted text>
Healing is a Gift from God, by His Grace. Jesus is the Gift from God.
I do not deny small churches their connection to Jesus, and Jesus healing physical illnesses.
I suggest however, that Jesus is more into healing our relationships with God. And it is much harder for spiritual healings, that last for eternity, than physical healings that last mortal lifetime....But Praise God for them both....
We are on the same page here. Thank you.
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#27 Oct 26, 2006
How Come wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you think some Catholics can go to heven. Sence they spend their lives trying to get there anyway.
What I want to know, is how come you get instantly healed, while innocent babies and God fearing people die all day long, from cancer and disease's.
They had no control over, yet you are cured?
Whats your connection to Jesus?
I'm sure some GOOD people would love to know?
Honestly, I do not know. I believe that innocent children who die get a shortcut to Heaven so while we are hurting they are blessed by God.

My dear wife died from cancer and I do not know why this happened as we attended the same church and had the same faith. Many who knew her said they were encouraged by her life and faith and were determined to follow Christ because of the way she faced all the difficulties of a seven year fight with cancer.

Her death was the most painful experience of my life.
Those present in the room testified to the very real presence of God, in her dying moments. Everyone felt this. I cannot explain it but it was very real.

God does all things in the light of eternity and I will never know the answers to many questions in this life but if we follow Christ we will find out that it all had a positive purpose in the light of the big picture.

Sometimes we forget that life is not about us, but it is about our Creator and our Savor.
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#29 Oct 26, 2006
Wranglerman wrote:
I am just sort of saddened by persons literal translation of biblical passages. God gave man the greatest gift in the universe, the ability to think for oneself, to learn and grow, and to use his teachings as guide to map the route of our lives.
When a person loses this ability, to think for themselves, to answer for themselves, and to do so, not only as a man, but as a child of God, we have turned our backs on the gifts that he has given to us.
I am sure there are many more people out there who feel that the cannonazation of this nun by the vatican is a bastardazation of Gods laws. To each their own, but when it is not your church, when it is not your saint, then it is not for you to say what is right and what is wrong, there is only one who has that right, I dont think we will see a posting on here from him.
While God gave us freedom of choice and a mind to reason with, He did not give us the right to form a god of our own in our mind but He gave us a vivid description of who He is and what he requires of us in His Word.

II Tim. 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

If we decide the Bible is a living document and is not literal then we have no absolute guide to God through Jesus. This leads us down the slipery slope of making our own god to be what we think he is or who we want him to be.

God is not adaptable to our notions but is a Holy God and His Word is Holy. The Catholics believe this as well as most protestant churches, and it is a necessary foundation for an unshakable faith through Jesus.
Robert Finch

Ville Platte, LA

#30 Oct 26, 2006
How Come wrote:
<quoted text>
So... answer my question [email protected]
I think he did answer it. You just were not listening....
Robert Finch

Ville Platte, LA

#32 Oct 26, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
<quoted text>
While God gave us freedom of choice and a mind to reason with, He did not give us the right to form a god of our own in our mind but He gave us a vivid description of who He is and what he requires of us in His Word.
II Tim. 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
If we decide the Bible is a living document and is not literal then we have no absolute guide to God through Jesus. This leads us down the slipery slope of making our own god to be what we think he is or who we want him to be.
God is not adaptable to our notions but is a Holy God and His Word is Holy. The Catholics believe this as well as most protestant churches, and it is a necessary foundation for an unshakable faith through Jesus.
I agree with everything you are trying to communicate. I must add that literal interpretations also lead down the slippery slope. Remember the Bible is not open to personal interpretations. That is the problem with the literal viewpoint, for it is a personal one as well, since everyone can read it literally, and give you differing views....
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#34 Oct 26, 2006
Robert Finch wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with everything you are trying to communicate. I must add that literal interpretations also lead down the slippery slope. Remember the Bible is not open to personal interpretations. That is the problem with the literal viewpoint, for it is a personal one as well, since everyone can read it literally, and give you differing views....
II Peter1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Here Peter is telling us that the Word of God says what it means and means what it says because it came from God. Because of this we may not put our spin on it.
Robert Finch

Ville Platte, LA

#35 Oct 26, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
<quoted text>
II Peter1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Here Peter is telling us that the Word of God says what it means and means what it says because it came from God. Because of this we may not put our spin on it.
Yes. This is the scripture I was writing on.
I think we have a different view of the word "literal". I remember a scripture that Jesus said "Go and do likewise.... And another verse said, "Judas hung himself." You can see my delemma with literal thinking, if the whole Bible is the Word of God.
wranglerman

Jeffersonville, IN

#36 Oct 27, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Oldthinker, I would want to beleive that an unshaken faiths foundation is built upon the confidence that God has given us as men, and the Honor of not only ourselves, but our actions, our words and our personal beleif in God and Jesus. We DO have an absolute Guide to GOD through Jesus with out taking every passage of the bible as a literal, unyeilding steadfast rule. That is the ability to know right from wrong, It is a living document, it has to be, otherwise a book that was 1800 years old would hold no relevence in the world today. The fundamental teaching of the bible are like a GPS system for life, you may wonder off the path, but it will be there to offer you the direction to guide you back on the right path.
We could argue about this for years on end, neither one of us are wholey wrong, nor right. God allows for us to make our own basic interpretations of the bible, if this was not so, there would not be so many diverse sects of Christianity, and I for one am not willing to pass judgement on which sect of Christianity is right and which is wrong. I think a person should be free to Worship God as they choose with out interference or criticism by any others who feel that their interpretation is MORE correct. We will all have our day when it is determined if we lived the right way.
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#37 Oct 27, 2006
Robert Finch wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. This is the scripture I was writing on.
I think we have a different view of the word "literal". I remember a scripture that Jesus said "Go and do likewise.... And another verse said, "Judas hung himself." You can see my delemma with literal thinking, if the whole Bible is the Word of God.
One can read a newspaper and read where someone was convicted of murder, then read a sentence from another article in the same paper saying this was a very progressive plan.

Things taken out of context do not have proper meaning and to any thesis there is an anti-thesis and to any real there is the counterfit.

In order for doctrine to based on scripture it needs to be supported in at least three different places in the scripture. Then it can be said to be re-affirmed by the Word of God.
Robert Finch

Olive Branch, MS

#38 Oct 27, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
<quoted text>
One can read a newspaper and read where someone was convicted of murder, then read a sentence from another article in the same paper saying this was a very progressive plan.
Things taken out of context do not have proper meaning and to any thesis there is an anti-thesis and to any real there is the counterfit.
In order for doctrine to based on scripture it needs to be supported in at least three different places in the scripture. Then it can be said to be re-affirmed by the Word of God.
What you are saying is very true about context. Not only must we reason and have faith in a certain passage, but also the paragraph, to who it is written, and by whom it is written.
It is difficult to get 3 different passages. It is therefore better to present the scripture in context. Beside, most people are not impressed with Bible passages, and living them in the heart, that is, having them engraved in one's heart is better than just head-knowledge.
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#39 Oct 27, 2006
Robert Finch wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are saying is very true about context. Not only must we reason and have faith in a certain passage, but also the paragraph, to who it is written, and by whom it is written.
It is difficult to get 3 different passages. It is therefore better to present the scripture in context. Beside, most people are not impressed with Bible passages, and living them in the heart, that is, having them engraved in one's heart is better than just head-knowledge.
Well spoken truth. Thanks.
Robert Finch

Cabot, AR

#40 Oct 31, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings oldthinker:
I was considering your 3 scripture "re-affirmation", on the subject of the "Blessed Virgin Mary". And so I encourage you to go to that thread, as I will continue to write on the scriptures, and quote them, so that the "eyes" might be opened to see. It may just be a few. But if I give you 100 or so, then you might be convinced on the Catholic viewpoint....
oldthinker

Carmel, IN

#41 Oct 31, 2006
It is good to hear from you, Robert. I am not anti-Catholic. I just feel that people place too much emphasis on what other people say and think.

My desire is to please God. Men may or may not approve of me but I am not living for their approval though it is nice to have that approval.

It was nice of the Catholic church to recognize the nun and call her a saint but it is God's approval that really matters. I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Prayer and blessings from our house to yours.
Robert Finch

Cabot, AR

#42 Oct 31, 2006
oldthinker wrote:
It is good to hear from you, Robert. I am not anti-Catholic. I just feel that people place too much emphasis on what other people say and think.
My desire is to please God. Men may or may not approve of me but I am not living for their approval though it is nice to have that approval.
It was nice of the Catholic church to recognize the nun and call her a saint but it is God's approval that really matters. I hope you understand where I am coming from.
Prayer and blessings from our house to yours.
Yes. I understand, and it is comendable. Jesus is The Way....God bless you, and keep you....
Sheryl

Annandale, NJ

#43 Nov 14, 2006
Hi Robert,

You know I think you're a wonderful person, and very intelligent and sensible, but I want you to know that I am officially becoming a Reform Jew. I'm convinced that it's correct, but I promise to always respect your religious views. God bless :)
Robert Finch

Trussville, AL

#44 Nov 14, 2006
Sheryl wrote:
Hi Robert,
You know I think you're a wonderful person, and very intelligent and sensible, but I want you to know that I am officially becoming a Reform Jew. I'm convinced that it's correct, but I promise to always respect your religious views. God bless :)
Greetings Sheryl:

Wonderful....

I encourage everyone to become that which they feel God is calling them to be. Sometimes it is a hard decision. Sometimes not....
Becoming, means changing, growing, learning, exploring. God has made a path. It is up to us to either accept or reject walking on that path.

It takes courage to step out of the human mold, that we are accustomed to in the mundane world. So congratulations! And do continue in this, and all of God's callings in your life....

Peace....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Charles 650,304
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' Jul 24 make Donald Drump... 47
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 20 I Jus Wanna Live ... 10,173
News Holding the left responsible (Sep '15) Jul 20 Crusader 4
News The 'Obamification' of Pope Francis (Sep '15) Jul 16 odG nDmdea yoHl r... 100
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... (Apr '15) Jul 14 Hasan Sasirmaz 32
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... Jul 9 South Knox Hombre 10
More from around the web