Cardinal Peter Turkson: Pope Contender Suggests Gay PriestsTo Blame For Child Rape Scandals

Feb 23, 2013 Full story: NewsOne 98

A firestorm of criticism has erupted involving Cardinal Peter Turkson , who could be next in line to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, all because he has publicly suggested that gay priests are in part to blame for the child sexual abuse scandals within the Catholic Church that have broken and rippled worldwide.

Read more
Dan

Omaha, NE

#45 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
So allowing murder, jail time or the death penalty for being homosexual isn't discrimination? Interesting. His support of supposed cultural issues is like supporting canabalism because its cultural. His failure to publicly condemn says everything about his form of Christianity. No thanks.
Turkson is not in a position to allow nor disallow a proposed action of the Ugandan government, same as your nor I am in position.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#46 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
So allowing murder, jail time or the death penalty for being homosexual isn't discrimination? Interesting. His support of supposed cultural issues is like supporting canabalism because its cultural. His failure to publicly condemn says everything about his form of Christianity. No thanks.
The Vatican has condemned these bills.

What else would you have them do, other than stage a coup or something?

I mean, what do you want from Turkson?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#47 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who would Turkson "go against"? I haven't seen any Church teaching that permits criminalization of homosexuality as described in Africa. Can you cite where that's taught? Your 'elite RC education' should mean that it's at your fingertips.
The Church teaches this about how homosexuals are to be treated:
“The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfil God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition (2358).”
Are you intentionally conflating official pronouncements and what is actually taught?

Location hidden

#48 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vatican has condemned these bills.
What else would you have them do, other than stage a coup or something?
I mean, what do you want from Turkson?
Then why aren't we reading or hearing loud and unequivocal condemnations of such things from all of the African bishops ... and this one in particular?

Smells like the 1930s.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#49 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you intentionally conflating official pronouncements and what is actually taught?
I typically go to what they teach. Thst IS the source.

Where should I go for their official position if not the Catechism?

I haven't located any pronouncements that affirm criminalization of homosexuality.

Location hidden

#50 Feb 25, 2013
Dan

Omaha, NE

#51 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why aren't we reading or hearing loud and unequivocal condemnations of such things from all of the African bishops ... and this one in particular?
Smells like the 1930s.
?

They've made it doctrinal.

It's in the Catechism.

How more unequivocal can they make it?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#52 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =NJG75FJkjr8XX
Funny, but don't twist your own ankles.

You very clear in another discussion we had that you believe that religion and politics should never co-mingle.

You are now demanding that the Church inject itself into politics. I'm not opposed to this, but you stated your opposition to it (unless you meant US politics only).

Location hidden

#53 Feb 25, 2013

Location hidden

#54 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
?
They've made it doctrinal.
It's in the Catechism.
How more unequivocal can they make it?
A lot.

Location hidden

#55 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't located any pronouncements that affirm criminalization of homosexuality.
Review the "official" policy and teaching at the time of the Spanish Inquisition.

I only mention it because it is a prime, well-known, and clar example of such a dichotomy.

Another might be it's "policies" versus it's behaviors in the 1930s.

Location hidden

#56 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, but don't twist your own ankles.
You very clear in another discussion we had that you believe that religion and politics should never co-mingle.
You are now demanding that the Church inject itself into politics. I'm not opposed to this, but you stated your opposition to it (unless you meant US politics only).
It has and does "interject itself into politics".

HOW it does so, or not, is "instructive".
Dan

Omaha, NE

#57 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot.
How, unless they cross the line you'd prohibit them from crossing in the US?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#58 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Review the "official" policy and teaching at the time of the Spanish Inquisition.
I only mention it because it is a prime, well-known, and clar example of such a dichotomy.
Another might be it's "policies" versus it's behaviors in the 1930s.
If we want to go back in time, let's do so.

No Uganda, no problematic legislation, no Turkson, no problem, if we place ourselves at the time of the Inquisition, right?

C'mon, snyper. You're better than this.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#59 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
It has and does "interject itself into politics".
HOW it does so, or not, is "instructive".
To you.

What's instructive to me is how you'd selectively apply their influence.

If not in service to your viewpoint, stay out. Completely.

If in service to it, they can't speak out strongly enough nor often enough.

Again, to do more than they have would require them to inject themselves forcefully into the political arena in Uganda. Do you support them doing so?

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#60 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It is often, in history and religion, what goes unsaid results in death or prison. To ignore it is to accept it. And therein lies the sin of omission.

The Catholic Church is paying great prices for such conduct in many cases. They are getting their just deserts. Not reporting the raping of children to the police is just one fine example. Their silence during WW 2 against Hitler is certainly another. Turkmen has shown himself to be perfectly capable of doing the same in Uganda.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#61 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
It is often, in history and religion, what goes unsaid results in death or prison. To ignore it is to accept it. And therein lies the sin of omission.
The Catholic Church is paying great prices for such conduct in many cases. They are getting their just deserts. Not reporting the raping of children to the police is just one fine example. Their silence during WW 2 against Hitler is certainly another. Turkmen has shown himself to be perfectly capable of doing the same in Uganda.
They weren't "silent" during WW2.

We started with you defending a claim that Turkson publicy supported a law allowing gay people to be executed.

Now, your argument is centered around the absence of evidence that he has anything to say about it specifically.

Long way to go here, snyper.

Location hidden

#62 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
If we want to go back in time, let's do so.
No Uganda, no problematic legislation, no Turkson, no problem, if we place ourselves at the time of the Inquisition, right?
C'mon, snyper. You're better than this.
Temporal displacement. lol

Location hidden

#63 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
I was also thinking of the Spanish Civil War, but the Hitler thing works.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#64 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't "silent" during WW2.
We started with you defending a claim that Turkson publicy supported a law allowing gay people to be executed.
Now, your argument is centered around the absence of evidence that he has anything to say about it specifically.
Long way to go here, snyper.
Sorry-Tom, I meant.

I'm surprised you came back into this one. You started it it with an unfounded claim, now we need to hear you out as you go back to the Inquisition?

Why not mention Galileo while you're at it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min RoSesz 579,050
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 7 hr Hebrewsunite 9,035
News Obamas to host Pope Francis at White House Sept... 8 hr barefoot2626 35
News Allah is great.... (Jul '13) 20 hr YaWay 173
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Mar 25 swedenforever 32
News Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark Mar 22 ELIAS IBARRA 4
News Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... Mar 17 barefoot2626 2,030
More from around the web