Cardinal Peter Turkson: Pope Contender Suggests Gay PriestsTo Blame For Child Rape Scandals

Feb 23, 2013 Full story: NewsOne 98

A firestorm of criticism has erupted involving Cardinal Peter Turkson , who could be next in line to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, all because he has publicly suggested that gay priests are in part to blame for the child sexual abuse scandals within the Catholic Church that have broken and rippled worldwide.

Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 Feb 24, 2013
He never read the report commissioned by Catholic Church which refutes his claim.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#26 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
It seems none of you have read this article or at least not all of it. This ignorant pig of a priest has publicly supported the killing of gays by African governments. Why would anyone even give thought this pig has a shot of becoming pope?
Tom-

Please cite Turkson's support for this Ugandan bill you refer to here.

Someone else posted this assertion on another thread and no documentation was given.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom-
Someone else posted this assertion on another thread and no documentation was given.
You can start looking at his opinions here:

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/cardinal...

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines...

http://www.bilerico.com/2013/02/top_papal_can...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#28 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
I have read all those before, save for the "bilerico" citation.

None indicate that Turkson has endorsed or defended the Ugandan bill inq uestion.

The "bilerico" site is an activist site and it does not provide a citation for Turkson's having supported or defended the Ugandan bill. The author makes that statement sans citation.

Turkson certainly does not approve of the homosexual lifestyle, but nowhere has he endorsed legislation to allow execution of gay people.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#29 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom-
Retread this article. I can't pull the quotes out on my iPad but he certainly doesn't condemn Ugandas efforts. He "understands" them.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#30 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
Retread this article. I can't pull the quotes out on my iPad but he certainly doesn't condemn Ugandas efforts. He "understands" them.
He makes no reference to the proposed law in question.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#31 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
....and he didn't say he "understands" them.

He said that stigma against homosexuality in Africa has a strong cultural predicate and that this cultural predicate should be understood.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#32 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
You made this accusation without any apparent difficulty with your iPad:

"It seems none of you have read this article or at least not all of it. This ignorant pig of a priest has publicly supported the killing of gays by African governments."

He hasn't done this, Tom.

El Paso, TX

#33 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You made this accusation without any apparent difficulty with your iPad:
"It seems none of you have read this article or at least not all of it. This ignorant pig of a priest has publicly supported the killing of gays by African governments."
He hasn't done this, Tom.
As a leader of the church his job is to lead. Because he "understands" the cultural issues and doesn't condemn them indicates acceptance. He is no follower of Jesus and should be removed from his position in the church.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#34 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
As a leader of the church his job is to lead. Because he "understands" the cultural issues and doesn't condemn them indicates acceptance. He is no follower of Jesus and should be removed from his position in the church.
Turkson isn't on record as having promulgated treatment of gay people in any other manner than what the Church teaches (cited below from the article provided to me).

Your insistence on claiming otherwise without basis is puzzling at the least. Certainly, you can take a position without resorting to making false claims, yes?

From the article:

“The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfil God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition (2358).”

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/cardinal...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#35 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
You're twsiting on this one a bit now-

Now, Turkson's charge is to do what, exactly, respective to African culture (bearing in mind that you'd certainly oppose a US Cardinal speaking in opposition to prevailing US culture should he make the fundamental error of disagreeing with your position)?

It seems you've conceded that you made a false claim about his public support for the Ugandan bill.

Location hidden

#36 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read all those before, save for the "bilerico" citation.
None indicate that Turkson has endorsed or defended the Ugandan bill inq uestion.
The "bilerico" site is an activist site and it does not provide a citation for Turkson's having supported or defended the Ugandan bill. The author makes that statement sans citation.
Turkson certainly does not approve of the homosexual lifestyle, but nowhere has he endorsed legislation to allow execution of gay people.
I agree. The only direct quote that I've seen isn't specifically about Uganda, but a derision of the statement of the UN General Secretary.

More generally he restated that homosexuality (no indication that he recognizes gay orientation) is "disordered", etc.. His other statements regarding gay issues in Africa do not decry any of the mistreatment, but instead asks for understanding of their traditions.

How can one "understand" if one is dead?

Location hidden

#37 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....and he didn't say he "understands" them.
He said that stigma against homosexuality in Africa has a strong cultural predicate and that this cultural predicate should be understood.
It's a typical misdirection.

On the one hand, he complains that it is unfair to "impose" "European mentality" upon "these poor Nations and people", while that is PRECISELY what his organization seeks to do everywhere ... and always has. He is actually complaining about competition and opposition to their attempts to define the terms of any discussions on anything. Arrogant, by definition. Deceptive in practice.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#38 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The only direct quote that I've seen isn't specifically about Uganda, but a derision of the statement of the UN General Secretary.
More generally he restated that homosexuality (no indication that he recognizes gay orientation) is "disordered", etc.. His other statements regarding gay issues in Africa do not decry any of the mistreatment, but instead asks for understanding of their traditions.
How can one "understand" if one is dead?
The direct claim made was that Turkson publicly supports the Ugandan bill.

Clearly, he hasn't supported it.

He certainly did make statements decrying some of the treatments as an "exaggeration" and stated “We [the Church] push for the rights of prisoners, the rights of others; and the last thing we want to do is infringe upon the rights of anyone".

What degree of interference in civil law would you permit Turkson to initiate, given that you certainly would oppose his US counterparts' interference in ours?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#39 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a typical misdirection.
On the one hand, he complains that it is unfair to "impose" "European mentality" upon "these poor Nations and people", while that is PRECISELY what his organization seeks to do everywhere ... and always has. He is actually complaining about competition and opposition to their attempts to define the terms of any discussions on anything. Arrogant, by definition. Deceptive in practice.
Do you support a European mentality being imposed upon Africa? You seem to not favor it.

However you may regard Turkson, he certainly hasn't claimed things that Tom did, and you let Tom off without chatisement for his deliberate deception. You actually sought to support it by proffering the links you supplied me.

Location hidden

#40 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The direct claim made was that Turkson publicly supports the Ugandan bill.
Clearly, he hasn't supported it.
He certainly did make statements decrying some of the treatments as an "exaggeration" and stated “We [the Church] push for the rights of prisoners, the rights of others; and the last thing we want to do is infringe upon the rights of anyone".
What degree of interference in civil law would you permit Turkson to initiate, given that you certainly would oppose his US counterparts' interference in ours?
None. But since he's going to mouth off, he'd better get himself right.

I suggest that he doesn't have the stones to go against the entrenched bigotry of his church and that of the people whose attitudes it has cultivated over the past two centuries.

If he doesn't recognize that gay people have Rights to be free of discrimination based upon their orientation (he doesn't), the statement you cite DOES NOT speak against any such behaviors. IT isn't even an equivocation. It is quite clear ... as long as you know how to read RCC-speak.

I received an elite RC education, and was trained in it.

The RCC is institutionally a past master at such non-statement statements. They call such Macchiavellianisms "diplomacy".

Location hidden

#41 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you support a European mentality being imposed upon Africa? You seem to not favor it.
However you may regard Turkson, he certainly hasn't claimed things that Tom did, and you let Tom off without chatisement for his deliberate deception. You actually sought to support it by proffering the links you supplied me.
I leave your issues with "Tom" to you and "Tom".

I deflected the conversation from "Tom" onto myself so we could discuss these issues.

El Paso, TX

#42 Feb 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Turkson isn't on record as having promulgated treatment of gay people in any other manner than what the Church teaches (cited below from the article provided to me).
Your insistence on claiming otherwise without basis is puzzling at the least. Certainly, you can take a position without resorting to making false claims, yes?
From the article:
“The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfil God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition (2358).”
Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/cardinal...
So allowing murder, jail time or the death penalty for being homosexual isn't discrimination? Interesting. His support of supposed cultural issues is like supporting canabalism because its cultural. His failure to publicly condemn says everything about his form of Christianity. No thanks.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#43 Feb 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
None. But since he's going to mouth off, he'd better get himself right.
I suggest that he doesn't have the stones to go against the entrenched bigotry of his church and that of the people whose attitudes it has cultivated over the past two centuries.
If he doesn't recognize that gay people have Rights to be free of discrimination based upon their orientation (he doesn't), the statement you cite DOES NOT speak against any such behaviors. IT isn't even an equivocation. It is quite clear ... as long as you know how to read RCC-speak.
I received an elite RC education, and was trained in it.
The RCC is institutionally a past master at such non-statement statements. They call such Macchiavellianisms "diplomacy".
Who would Turkson "go against"? I haven't seen any Church teaching that permits criminalization of homosexuality as described in Africa. Can you cite where that's taught? Your 'elite RC education' should mean that it's at your fingertips.

The Church teaches this about how homosexuals are to be treated:

Dan

Omaha, NE

#44 Feb 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
So allowing murder, jail time or the death penalty for being homosexual isn't discrimination? Interesting. His support of supposed cultural issues is like supporting canabalism because its cultural. His failure to publicly condemn says everything about his form of Christianity. No thanks.
It most assuredly is discrimnation.

Turkson does not support these things. He is a Cardinal of the Church.

The Church teaches that these treatments are to be avoided.

You have no argument with Turkson.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 9 min kent 83,903
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min Estelle 559,393
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Mr Sir 8,694
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Fri Cat74 11
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Thu Stephany McDowell 1
The Roman Catholic church: Chronicle of a papac... Thu Stephany McDowell 1
Dogs go to heaven, Pope Francis says Wed cooldude 5
More from around the web