Insurance-paid birth control? Religions react

U.S. Catholic bishops and health experts advising the federal government agree on one thing: The decision to avoid a pregnancy should not have a price tag attached. Full Story
The Duke of Hazard

Portsmouth, OH

#919 Nov 29, 2011
Sos, ahz can be paid fo' dem babies not made?
Muddy

Wise, VA

#920 Apr 12, 2013
Insurance should NOT pay for birth control nor Viagra!

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#921 Apr 12, 2013
Muddy wrote:
Insurance should NOT pay for birth control nor Viagra!
Viagra treats a medical illness. Birth control does not.
Muddy

Wise, VA

#923 Apr 15, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Viagra treats a medical illness. Birth control does not.
Health insurance is to help with life saving drugs like for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. Viagra and Birth Control are just "lifestyle" drugs, NOT vital! People with real medical conditions should not pay higher premiums just so people can have sex!!

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#924 Apr 15, 2013
Muddy wrote:
<quoted text>Health insurance is to help with life saving drugs like for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. Viagra and Birth Control are just "lifestyle" drugs, NOT vital!
I segregated Viagra and birth control because Viagra treats a condition where the body isn't functioning as it is supposed to, whereas birth control does not.
People with real medical conditions should not pay higher premiums just so people can have sex!!
In theory, the rates one pays for insurance should be in proportion to one's personal risk. You should be far more concerned about the amount extra you are paying to cover people who intentionally partake of activities which often result in costly medical treatments, such as smoking. This probably costs several thousand times more than Viagra coverage.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#925 Apr 15, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I segregated Viagra and birth control because Viagra treats a condition where the body isn't functioning as it is supposed to, whereas birth control does not.
<quoted text>
In theory, the rates one pays for insurance should be in proportion to one's personal risk. You should be far more concerned about the amount extra you are paying to cover people who intentionally partake of activities which often result in costly medical treatments, such as smoking. This probably costs several thousand times more than Viagra coverage.
Actually, Tony, birth control is used to treat medical conditions as well--menorrhagia is one of them (heavy menstrual bleeding, sometimes due to hormonal dysregulation).

I have no problem with insurance companies offering such coverage for birth control or even sterilizations, but ONLY IF THEIR CUSTOMERS ASK FOR SUCH. It should NOT be mandated that anyone be required to purchase. I found it completely violating the separation of church and state to force the Catholic church to require that they cover it and violate their own teachings.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#926 Apr 15, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Tony, birth control is used to treat medical conditions as well--menorrhagia is one of them (heavy menstrual bleeding, sometimes due to hormonal dysregulation).
I have no problem with insurance companies offering such coverage for birth control or even sterilizations, but ONLY IF THEIR CUSTOMERS ASK FOR SUCH. It should NOT be mandated that anyone be required to purchase. I found it completely violating the separation of church and state to force the Catholic church to require that they cover it and violate their own teachings.
Absolutely friggin right!
Sky King

Lewisburg, OH

#927 Apr 15, 2013
Free birth control: "NO!"
Gargantua

Cincinnati, OH

#928 Apr 15, 2013
The Observer wrote:
Intelligent, educated, progressive and successful women, and men, do not listen to primitive edicts from the homosexual cult which is the disgraced Catholic priesthood.
Closet queers are the bane of an entire nation, not just the RCC.

The leaders of the american-israeli victim cult, which includes queers, are warmongers and killers of people and civilizations.

Progressives and neoconservatives, the people that promote the supremacy of the american-israeli victim cult, are swine.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#929 Apr 15, 2013
OMG. The whack jobs are crawling out of the woodwork tonight!
Sky King

Lewisburg, OH

#930 Apr 15, 2013
Birth Control: Whack and knob jobs.
WC Taxpayer

Dayton, OH

#931 Apr 15, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
OMG. The whack jobs are crawling out of the woodwork tonight!
Sky king, aka Leon Harrison(Old Cold Warrior, Gun Nut, etc on the Dayton OH forums), is probably the reason. All those Indiana ip's are probably him. One and the same!
The New Cool Warrior

Lewisburg, OH

#932 Apr 15, 2013
Birth Control: Internuts, texters and tweeters having imaginary make-believe solitary sex with their little peeders. Well, at least these goofy youths can not and will not reproduce.
Muddy

Wise, VA

#933 Apr 16, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I segregated Viagra and birth control because Viagra treats a condition where the body isn't functioning as it is supposed to, whereas birth control does not.
<quoted text>
In theory, the rates one pays for insurance should be in proportion to one's personal risk. You should be far more concerned about the amount extra you are paying to cover people who intentionally partake of activities which often result in costly medical treatments, such as smoking. This probably costs several thousand times more than Viagra coverage.
NO! Obesity costs more than smoking related costs!

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#935 Apr 20, 2013
Richard wrote:
Why do insurance companies pay for viagra and not birth control pills? It should be the other way around.
Does the Catholic church ban the use of viagra?
One treats a condition of the body not working as it should, the other does not.
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#936 Apr 20, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Viagra treats a medical illness. Birth control does not.
Oh, please. Hardly an illness. Does it entitle you to call off sick? Get disability?

http://www.bostonmedicalgroup.com/erectile-dy...
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#937 Apr 20, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I segregated Viagra and birth control because Viagra treats a condition where the body isn't functioning as it is supposed to, whereas birth control does not.
<quoted text>
In theory, the rates one pays for insurance should be in proportion to one's personal risk. You should be far more concerned about the amount extra you are paying to cover people who intentionally partake of activities which often result in costly medical treatments, such as smoking. This probably costs several thousand times more than Viagra coverage.
Birth control pills are often used to correct a long list of medical conditions. Having said that, I feel they should be covered as any other prescription. Equal opportunity and all that, you know.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#938 Apr 20, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Birth control pills are often used to correct a long list of medical conditions.
And they should be covered when used for treatment of any of those medical conditions.
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#939 Apr 20, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, please. Hardly an illness. Does it entitle you to call off sick? Get disability?
http://www.bostonmedicalgroup.com/erectile-dy...
No, though if they work too long the ads say to.seek medical attention.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Westerville, OH

#940 Apr 20, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
And they should be covered when used for treatment of any of those medical conditions.
That easily allows women to lie and say they have these issues just to get birth control. There's no real way for a doctor to know if a woman experiences heavy periods, etc. They aren't going to monitor women's periods to see if they're heavy or not. And if they're taken to relieve extreme cramping, a doctor isn't going to try to determine the validity of that either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min confrinting with ... 548,929
Pope to visit Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia in Turkey Tue Serkan Turkbayram 6
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Mr Sir 8,518
Pope Francis leaves the beatification ceremony ... Oct 20 Belle Sexton 11
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Oct 18 ELIAS IBARRA 6
Catholic bishops take first step toward accepta... Oct 16 Mychihuahuawillbite 2
Pope Francis shows strong, unique leadership fo... Oct 15 Gremlin 2

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE