Pope Francis reaches out to gays, says he won't judge gay priests

There are 250 comments on the The Washington Post story from Jul 29, 2013, titled Pope Francis reaches out to gays, says he won't judge gay priests. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Pope Francis reached out to gays on Monday, saying he wouldn't judge priests for their sexual orientation in a remarkably open and wide-ranging news conference as he returned from his first foreign trip.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#22 Jul 30, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Of course there are homosexuals who are afflicted with pedophilia, but the reality is that they are no more common among us than they are among heterosexuals. Something you should probably know about the condition, the paraphilia doesn't always reflect the person's adult sexual orientation. The vast majority of men who sexually abuse boys, heterosexual.
maybe in the muslim world,and of course the numbers are bogus since the numbers of hetro folks are many times than the queers--thank god for that--if u look at percentage then the true number comes out--
chisholm

Columbus, OH

#24 Jul 30, 2013
Walter wrote:
Where the heterosexual celibate priest struggles with physical attraction with women,if he ever gives in to this he has relations with a woman.
Yet the homosexual celibate priest struggles with his physical attraction to men and if he ever gives in to it , he chooses pedophillia with boys. The recent scandals show this clearly.
Not true, of course. Pedophilia is not a matter of heterosesxual and homosexual, it's a completely separate kind of attraction. Many "heterosexual" men have molested little boys, and probably there ar ehomosexual men who've molested little girls. It's pedophilia, not homosexuality.

Now there ARE gay priests who've chosen pederasty, sexual contact with boys over the age of puberty but under the legal age of consent. That's not the same as pedophilia, of course, though it's illegal and should be.

Unfortunately many homophobes and enemies of homosexuals have confused this issue by making ignorant or false statements about it.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#25 Jul 30, 2013
polabo wrote:
Sorry dumpling, but you can't even fake having a clue as to knowing what you are babbling semi-coherently about. Research done in THIS COUNTRY over the last few decades, proves that the vast majority of pedophiles who abuse boys, as well as non-pedophile abusers of them, are HETEROSEXUAL. The single most frequent source of sexual abuse of boys, any man having sex with the boy's mother. Look it up, don't go through life as ignorant as you are.
chisholm

Columbus, OH

#26 Jul 30, 2013
It IS interesting, though, that we accept that a straight priest may struggle with his attraction to women, even giving in to it briefly or occasionally, without condemnation...but vehemently condemn the gay priest who does the same.

Again, I'm not talking about conduct with underage partners here, of course, that's a separate matter...as is pedophilia.
chisholm

Columbus, OH

#27 Jul 30, 2013
polabo wrote:
<quoted text>maybe in the muslim world,and of course the numbers are bogus since the numbers of hetro folks are many times than the queers--thank god for that--if u look at percentage then the true number comes out--
Do you have some reliable numbers not contaminated with your hatred of gay people?

this one

#28 Jul 30, 2013
chisholm wrote:
Do you have some reliable numbers not contaminated with your hatred of gay people?
No, he doesn't. All of the legitimate research done in this area makes a bigger fool out of him than he does himself.

http://www.childmolestationprevention.org/pdf...
polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#29 Jul 30, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry dumpling, but you can't even fake having a clue as to knowing what you are babbling semi-coherently about. Research done in THIS COUNTRY over the last few decades, proves that the vast majority of pedophiles who abuse boys, as well as non-pedophile abusers of them, are HETEROSEXUAL. The single most frequent source of sexual abuse of boys, any man having sex with the boy's mother. Look it up, don't go through life as ignorant as you are.
again,ur just like the blacks saying more whites are on food stamps which is true just like this report about heterosexual are the largest molesters but percentage wish both of the figures fail--this reports says 85 percent of the pop. of males in the u.s. are hetro's which means appx. 100 million are walking around so of course u have more of them by pop. doing this evil--
chisholm

Columbus, OH

#30 Jul 30, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>No, he doesn't. All of the legitimate research done in this area makes a bigger fool out of him than he does himself.
http://www.childmolestationprevention.org/pdf...
Thanks - excellent source!

this one

#31 Jul 30, 2013
polabo wrote:
again,ur just
Sweetie, your semi-literate rants only serve to prove you clueless. While there are gay men who are also afflicted with pedophilia and/or sexually abuse children, the vast majority of men in both categories that abuse only boys are heterosexual.

this one

#32 Jul 30, 2013
chisholm wrote:
Thanks - excellent source!
You're very welcome.

Since: Sep 09

o------------><-----------o

#33 Jul 30, 2013
I guess being gay is fine with the pope and church. But being a woman isn't. They still ban women bishops. The Vatican even has a written bylaw stating any male bishop that openly states women should be ordained will be terminated from their position. They fired a bishop in Australia in 2011 for saying women should be permitted.
polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#35 Jul 30, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Sweetie, your semi-literate rants only serve to prove you clueless. While there are gay men who are also afflicted with pedophilia and/or sexually abuse children, the vast majority of men in both categories that abuse only boys are heterosexual.
go back to math school and learn percentage's my perverted pied piper--if literate means being as intelligent as u,I'll pass--

this one

#37 Jul 30, 2013
polabo wrote:
go back to math school and learn percentage's my perverted pied piper--if literate means being as intelligent as u,I'll pass--
Sweetie, if you want to be an idiot, be an idiot, doesn't bother me one way or another. I learned about percentages a long time ago, you need to work on your sorely lacking reading comprehension skills.
polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#39 Jul 30, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Sweetie, if you want to be an idiot, be an idiot, doesn't bother me one way or another. I learned about percentages a long time ago, you need to work on your sorely lacking reading comprehension skills.
at least being an idiot--one does not feel that perversions or normal--have fun with ur perversions,they want last but a life time then we'll see how smart u r--
chisholm

Columbus, OH

#40 Jul 30, 2013
___Jenny___ wrote:
I guess being gay is fine with the pope and church. But being a woman isn't. They still ban women bishops. The Vatican even has a written bylaw stating any male bishop that openly states women should be ordained will be terminated from their position. They fired a bishop in Australia in 2011 for saying women should be permitted.
Women bishops, Cardinals, priests, even deacons. Their policies toward women are indeed backward and looooong outdated.

I'll believe this Pope is REALLY progressive and reforming when he at least moves toward admitting women as deacons. That would be a start.

“I want to see the world!”

Since: Jul 13

Danville, KY

#41 Jul 30, 2013
commenters wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately, most gay men want sex with under age boys. Sad but true.
No, most gay men want a real relationship with someone they love, a family, friends, a nice job, a cool car, and the occasional fashion show.

“ TRUTH : NOT EXPEDIENCE”

town near Jax, Fl

#42 Jul 30, 2013
ericintroverted wrote:
<quoted text>
No, most gay men want a real relationship with someone they love, a family, friends, a nice job, a cool car, and the occasional fashion show.
Don't forget tickets to a Broadway show.

this one

#43 Jul 30, 2013
polabo wrote:
at least being an idiot--one does not feel that perversions or normal--have fun with ur perversions,they want last but a life time then we'll see how smart u r--
I don't have any perversions that I'm aware of buttercup and you're still an idiot.
polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#44 Jul 30, 2013
ericintroverted wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds stupid if u can't love a wo-man but prefer being corn-holed--and then get mad if someone points that out--always did say if ur going to be stupid-u better be tough--
Devil Anse

Columbus, GA

#45 Jul 30, 2013
___Jenny___ wrote:
So then don't be catholic. Another ignorant female.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min June VanDerMark 590,180
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Gee Tee 9,395
News Ireland's gay marriage vote was 'a defeat': Vat... 12 hr Rainbow Kid 4
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) Mon QUITTNER May 25 2015 6
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) May 23 pazuzu 61
News Pope Francis endorses Catholic climate petition May 23 Passing thru 8
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) May 22 KristoFMYsagun 10
More from around the web