COLUMN-The pope's divisions

Dec 31, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: AlertNet

The political roundups of 2013 make little mention of perhaps the most important event to alter the political landscape in the last 12 months.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Jan 2, 2014
Clear Dharma

Inverurie, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

This is as good a New Year's message as any I've seen so far:

"They reject the right of states, charged with vigilance for the common good, to exercise any form of control. A new tyranny is thus born. To all this we can add widespread corruption and self-serving tax evasion, which have taken on worldwide dimensions. The thirst for power and possessions knows no limits. In this system, which tends to devour everything which stands in the way of increased profits, whatever is fragile, like the environment, is defenseless before the interests of a deified market, which become the only rule."

If anyone doubt his clarity, Francis said: "I encourage financial experts and political leaders to ponder the words of one of the sages of antiquity:'Not to share one's wealth with the poor is to steal from them and to take away their livelihood.'"

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

He sounds like a communist.
Clear Dharma

Inverurie, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

A lot of people say that, but they are the ones who lack a nuanced understanding.

He's not primarily interested in financial systems.

Making money is easy. Making money, maintaining incentive to work and bringing on a many-leveled society in a fair, reasonable and aspirational way is much more difficult once you accept that human society is not totally equivalent to jungle animals living for the survival of the fittest.

It's that second bit which requires more than a muscle-man at the steering wheel.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

He didn`t mentioned moral corruption of the west as a problem.
Why is that?
Clear Dharma

Inverurie, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Alexey25 wrote:
He didn`t mentioned moral corruption of the west as a problem.
Why is that?
Who, the Pope? He was talking about moral corruption everywhere, as is the Pontiff's want to speak in general and humanitarian terms. However, I think he was talking especially about the west, if we can still accurately use that term.

(I'm giving you credit for not seeing this as some old fashioned east v west missiles-at-the-ready head bang as Bresznev preferred.)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

I just don`t give a damb about what he says.
No one does here.
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Alexey25 wrote:
I just don`t give a damb about what he says.
No one does here.
Where would 'here' be Alexey nr25?
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

Alexey25 wrote:
I just don`t give a damn about what he says.
So why are you bothering to read it and express an opinion? Illogical.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

In Russia.
Pope has no authority here.
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

Alexey25 wrote:
In Russia.
The Catholic Church in Russia

As of yet not all parishes are connected to the net, but a few are. Just as each parish differs greatly from one another so also do the various sites. If you have some free time, maybe you would like to make a cyber tour or pilgrimage of the various parishes.........

http://www.catholic-church.org/church-unity/c...

Parishes ....

Cheljabinsk lies on the Siberian side of the Southern Urals. In the main parish work several German priests and some American sisters who keep us up to date with frequent newsletters.

Irkutsk lies in the heart of Siberia on the beautiful Lake Baikal, the deepest in the world. Read an open letter of the pastor.

Kazan This site, run by a group of Argentinian priests is highly recommendable. It describes the life of Catholics in one of Russia's most beautiful and historical cities. The site offers a wide range of links and of books on line. It is in English, Russian and Spanish.
Magadan is an isolated city in the Russian Far East. The city grew up out of the gulag system.

Penza a beautiful and historical city in the heart of European Russia, is home to a parish which is only beginning to be born again. Help it with your prayers!
Ryzan one of the cities of the Russian Golden Circle, about 200 km's from Moscow, is a parish struggling to get official recognition, the return of its Church and the permanent presence of a priest.

Samara a major industrial city on the Volga River is home to a historically Polish parish. The church here is one of the most well preserved of Catholic churches in Russia.

Syzran is a small provincial city on the Volga. The parish is mostly ethnic German and strives and thrives in an ecumenical spirit. It is not only a pleasure for people to visit the church in Syzran, but its web-page is well organized and makes an enjoyable visit as well. Why not take a look at our photo album of Catholic Churches in Russia

Ulianovsk is a parish struggling in its revival. It suffered greatly in the town where Lenin was born and is still struggling in the battle with the effects and remainders of atheistic communism.

Vladivostok a major port on Russia's pacific coast. Not far from North Korea and China, the parish and the surrounding areas are served by two American priests.
Yakutsk is a town in the center (almost north) Siberia. Here a group of Salesians are at work.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

Russians are more interested in Oriental religions and untraditional cults than in catholisism.
Even western European catholics in traditionally catholic countries like France are mostly catholics by name and just do lip service.
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

There's truth in what you say. Time for the Catholic church to reform and change.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••