Nicole Kidman 'The Golden Compass' Draws Christian Fire

Oct 30, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Post Chronicle

“This must be the only film attacked in the same week for being too religious and for being anti-religious - and by people who haven't seen it. "I have very friendly and happy relations with the filmmakers, and I'm very happy with what they are doing.”

Nicole Kidman 'The Golden Compass' Draws Christian Fire by Staff Nicole Kidman's new movie has upset Christian groups who fear it will promote atheism to children. via The Post Chronicle

Comments
1 - 20 of 57 Comments Last updated Aug 13, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Karen Cluster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

I do not see how in good conscience a mother would appear in a movie that pushes kids to murder "God"!! So what if she's a practising Catholic? Does that clear her from suffering any bad press, or, more importantly, protect her from the wrath of God when she passes from this life? It also does not shed a good light on mothering skills, saying to her kids in effect that you can say or do whatever you like in movies, even if it promotes killing.
Sorry, Nic, you're way out of line on this one!

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

So, the movie isn't out yet and children are murdering people after seeing it?

I didn't realize Andrea Yates, Patricia Blackmon, Debra Jean Milke, Dora Luz Durenrostro, Caro Socorro, Susan Eubanks, Caroline Young, Robin Lee Row, Michelle Sue Tharp, Franic Elaine Newton, Darlie Lynn Routier, Teresa Michelle Lewis were simpy choosing to play roles.

Effective...
zooooooooooooooo oooo

Healdsburg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

I won't argue religion with you people. I personally get annoyed by right wing Christian fanatics but I am a christian by faith. Churches are full of hypocritical people but at the same time I see athiesm or gnostic beliefs on the rise in the country. It's pretty sad that one is considered ignorant because he believes in some form of creationalism. clearly the bible was written to people in a primative way for those people long ago to understand basic rules. There was much chaos and hedonism in the day. But whether you believe in G-d or not, It's pretty sick to create a childrens animation where a child tries to kill Someone or Something. In this case, her creator. I guess money is more important then Nicoles own faith. The Catholic church is an extreemly strict denomination of the Christian faith. I don't expect she will be welcomed in her next Sunday mass.

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Wow! Some people really can't seperate fact from fiction, especially when the Church tries to mix them up, again.
Rita M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

I think that a story that depicts a child trying to kill anything is simply horribly, even more so when they are supposedly trying to kill God!! I may not know a lot, but the one thing I knowfor certain is that there will not be any athiest in hell, because they will all be crying otu for the Lord to save them. Only it will to late!
American

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

(Proverbs 22:6) Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Sykes

Bellville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

wow middleway , what a POINTLESS point...

Maybe you shouldnt try figuring out who is to blame for the misdirection but rather which side you are on ...

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

Sykes wrote:
Maybe you shouldnt try figuring out who is to blame for the misdirection but rather which side you are on ...
I know what side I'm on, I'll go with reason instead of blind fanatic panic!
And speaking of a pointless point...
Sykes wrote:

awc

“Pepperland”

Since: Dec 06

Pepperland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

it sounds like a preety lame movie anyway, same for harry potter and the other same run of the mill epics. it's the parents responsibility to decide if their kid should see it or not. too many people think christianity is fading, but it's not true, too many christians are just too lazy to stand up for their beleifs, a quiet christian is an unheard christian. i don't judge the atheists, it's not my right, i leave that up to GOD, because i am far from perfect, just forgiven. they say that we are so evolved in this day and time, only a fool would doubt the evolution theory, look at all the hatred, hunger and poverty in this world and say how evolved we really are. technology has evolved dramatically since the caveman days, but we as humans have not...i doubt we ever will, but i put my faith in GOD, not in mankind.

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2007

Didn't you know the body of Christ IS mankind?
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2007

Karen Cluster wrote:
I do not see how in good conscience a mother would appear in a movie that pushes kids to murder "God"!! So what if she's a practising Catholic? Does that clear her from suffering any bad press, or, more importantly, protect her from the wrath of God when she passes from this life? It also does not shed a good light on mothering skills, saying to her kids in effect that you can say or do whatever you like in movies, even if it promotes killing.
Oh BROTHER. Since your god is IMAGINARY, nothing is going to happen to Ms. Kidman after she passes on in future. Nor will anything happen to kids who see this movie, except that maybe they'll start to exercise their brains and THINK. A practice totally discouraged by the monument to cruelty and oppression, of course, which is why kids SHOULD see it.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2007

Judged:

Rita M wrote:
I think that a story that depicts a child trying to kill anything is simply horribly, even more so when they are supposedly trying to kill God!! I may not know a lot, but the one thing I knowfor certain is that there will not be any athiest in hell, because they will all be crying otu for the Lord to save them. Only it will to late!
Oh PLEASE. Your god is IMAGINARY, which means no one can "kill" it. Maybe some day, catholic religionists will learn the difference between fiction and fact. But it won't happen anytime soon.
NitaM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2007

Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh PLEASE. Your god is IMAGINARY, which means no one can "kill" it. Maybe some day, catholic religionists will learn the difference between fiction and fact. But it won't happen anytime soon.
They killed Jesus who is the 2nd Person of the Blessed Trinity on the cross stupid. Jesus is God the Son who came down from heaven and became man though still divine in nature.

NitaM

Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2007

NitaM wrote:
<quoted text>
They killed Jesus who is the 2nd Person of the Blessed Trinity on the cross stupid. Jesus is God the Son who came down from heaven and became man though still divine in nature.
NitaM
Oh brother. You can BELIEVE whatever religionist drivel you want to, "genius," but you really need to learn the difference between belief and fact. I doubt that will happen anytime soon, though.

“God is love.”

Since: Mar 07

Central Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2007

O56, do you hate your fellow man?
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2007

liseux wrote:
O56, do you hate your fellow man?
Nope. Loosux, do you always ask moronic questions?
Fall Out Daliah

Chapel Hill, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2007

the polar bears are cool!

“God is love.”

Since: Mar 07

Central Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2007

Only to morons. Oops... did I say that?

Okay, another question to you.

Do you hate yourself?

My point: if you don't hate your fellow man, and you don't hate yourself, then why do you wish death upon them and yourself, in the name of abortion, sterilization, contraception, and the whole bit?

Also, are you always so nasty, even in person?
Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I'm curious about what keeps a person like you going. It's not like you have any hope for mankind, ya know.

Since: Nov 07

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2007

Rita M wrote:
First, this makes no sense since god is immortal by definition...which makes no sense when people say Jesus died. Second, to say that the image of a child killing anthing is simply horrible...and then accept christianity is a hypocritical. Christianity teaches parents to kill their children for disobedience. As an atheist, I will not be crying out for god(s) to save me. First, they gave me no credible evidence for their existence, and second, if they love us like you all claim....hell doesn't exist, it couldn't exist. Would you send your own children to a place of eternal punishment? I hope you don't say yes, or you are clearly a monster-which is what your god is.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

liseux wrote:
Only to morons. Oops... did I say that?
Okay, another question to you.
Do you hate yourself?
My point: if you don't hate your fellow man, and you don't hate yourself, then why do you wish death upon them and yourself, in the name of abortion, sterilization, contraception, and the whole bit?
Also, are you always so nasty, even in person?
Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I'm curious about what keeps a person like you going. It's not like you have any hope for mankind, ya know.
I have plenty of friends, Loosux, none of which are arrogant catholic/christian religionists who want everyone to trade in the pleasures of secularist FREEDOM for the miseries of religionist slavery. Sounds to me that you, like other militant religionists, are just mad that we aren't slaves to gods, religions and churches. Too bad.

Some of us just prefer freedom to slavery. The freedom that allows us to make our OWN rules for our OWN lives, instead of giving up our freedom to arrogant and stupid priests, who hate freethought and despise liberty. If you choose slavery over freedom, that's YOUR problem. Have a nice day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Philip Pullman Discussions

Search the Philip Pullman Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Eva Green - and Kinky Sex in 3D - Almost Sa... Mar '14 TTH 1
Children s books SHOULD have sex in, says best-... (Jun '13) Jun '13 dad of 3 1
Jesus and his twin brother, Christ (Apr '10) Apr '10 TerryL 15
Books that ask questions (Nov '09) Nov '09 ask more questions 1
CULTURE: Atheism for kids (Oct '07) Sep '09 NoGod Needed 12
Christians blast film The Golden Compass for at... (Nov '07) Sep '09 debunker 25
Faith and Religion - The Golden Compass Movie I... (Dec '07) Apr '09 Dom 38
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••