Review: Anti-Catholicism in - The Gol...

Review: Anti-Catholicism in - The Golden Compass'?

There are 725 comments on the Weatherford Democrat story from Nov 12, 2007, titled Review: Anti-Catholicism in - The Golden Compass'?. In it, Weatherford Democrat reports that:

“Roman Catholicism is the evil force in Pullman's writings”

The Catholic League, which responds to incidents of anti-Catholicism, has begun a campaign urging people to boycott "The Golden Compass," a movie set to open next month. via Weatherford Democrat

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Weatherford Democrat.

First Prev
of 37
Next Last
ricc

UK

#1 Nov 12, 2007
I've read all three of Pullman's books and have come to some conclusions about his main ideas.

1 He puts forward the concept that at the core of the universe is a personality (he calls it "dust")
2 This personality has a connection with human beings
3 The essence of this personality is love.

Actually, this is very close to my core beliefs about God. Granted he also attacks Christianity but his attacks are so ludicrously far from the reality of Christian fath and the "strawmen" he sets up to knock down are such caricatures that no thinking Christian will be in the least disturbed.

If children start asking questions a wise parent or counsellor will be able to answer them easily. Who knows, maybe such a discussion will actually lead to deepening of faith.
SF Boomer

San Francisco, CA

#2 Nov 13, 2007
I thought the Church would have learned a lesson from it's own Index of Forbidden Books, i.e. the quickest way to make a book a best-seller is to ban it. The same applies to movies.

Since: Oct 07

Draper, UT

#3 Nov 13, 2007
I HOPE SOMEONE GIVES ME A REVIEW OF THE MOVIE !
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#4 Nov 13, 2007
Prophecy wrote:
I HOPE SOMEONE GIVES ME A REVIEW OF THE MOVIE !
Here is what was printed in my church's bulletin this past Sunday.

The GOLDEN COMPASS, a new movie targeted at children, will be released Dec. 7, 2007. This movie is based on the first book of a trilogy by atheist Philip Pullman. In the final book, a boy and girl kill God so they can do as they please. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "My books are about killing God."

The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is designed to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting parents will take their children to see it and will want the books for Christmas. It has a well-known cast, including Nicole Kidman, Kevin Bacon, and Sam Elliott and will probably be advertised extensively, so it is crucial that we get the word out to warn parents to AVOID THIS MOVIE. You can research this for yourself. Start with this article on Snopes.com , then go to Google.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compa...

And I think Disney is putting this garbage out.
Vista Sux

UK

#5 Nov 14, 2007
Excellent! Sounds like a great movie!!!=D
ricc

Kilmarnock, UK

#6 Nov 14, 2007
Take your kids to the movie and then sit down and talk to them about it.
Christianity has nothing to fear from Pullman - and we don't talk to our children nearly enough!
ricc

Kilmarnock, UK

#7 Nov 14, 2007
Take your kids to see the movie and then sit down and talk to them about it.
Christianity has nothing to fear from Pullman - and we don't talk to our children nearly enough!
ricc

Kilmarnock, UK

#8 Nov 14, 2007
(Sorry for the repetition)
I'd just like to add, please read Michele Thomas's article linked from the head of this page - she makes an awful lot of sense.
fed up with the mess

United States

#9 Nov 14, 2007
Is it true or not? Don't get mad if people are starting to question the catholic religion...not the belief in GOD.
Vista Sux

UK

#10 Nov 15, 2007
If I had kids I would take them to see this. Anything to counter the brainwashing effects of religion. I hope if I have kids they don't fall for that religious BS.
fed up with the mess

United States

#11 Nov 15, 2007
Don't worry. You can't kill GOD...never. This is just another example of satan showing his ugly head. Satan will be defeated!!!! GOD is forever.....
Joester

Mesa, AZ

#12 Nov 18, 2007
Well, what religion or sect are you referring to? Are you referring to the machinations of the Devil, Satan, the Father or lies? Then yes, I'd protect my children from those, and I'd educate them properly. But if you're talking about pure religion, undefiled, that which was given to the people by Christ and his Apostles and which is still given by His Prophet and his apostles, then I'd immerse them in it, because that would protect them from the filth of today's world.
Vista Sux wrote:
If I had kids I would take them to see this. Anything to counter the brainwashing effects of religion. I hope if I have kids they don't fall for that religious BS.
Joester

Mesa, AZ

#13 Nov 18, 2007
Reading the books of the series, "His Dark Material," I am reminded of certain elements of the pure Christian religion. The Golden Compass itself represents our own quest for truth, and also an element in the Book of Mormon, an item know to LDS members as the Liahona, which was a compass that guided the holder of it in the right direction and it only worked with obedience and faith. The Amber Spyglass, that wish Dr. Malone used to see the Dust, that is symbolic of the Urim and Thummim, that seeing device which prophets of the Old Testament and modern times used to see the future and to translate ancient writings. Despite Mr. Pullman's efforts to thwart the belief of God, he's strengthened my belief in my personal God, my Father in Heaven, a God of goodness and love, a God that wants us to think and make wise choices for ourselves, that gives us our agency. It's the Devil, Satan, that wishes to control us and dominate us, stripping us of Agency. Everything evil in this world binds and corrupts. Everything good frees and enlightens.
Joester

Mesa, AZ

#14 Nov 18, 2007
If you want to have a discussion with me personally, you can email me at [email protected] I like making friends with everyone from everywhere.
WITNESS OF JESUS CHRIST

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Nov 18, 2007
ITS POOR INTENSIONS OF THE SICK MINDED TO PUT SUCH GARBAGE INTO OUR CHILDREN'S MINDS, AND ITS OBVIOUS THAT SATAN IS BEHIND THAT. IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR CHILDREN'S SOUL AND ABOUT YOUR SOUL, SAY NO TO SATAN!!!THANKS AND GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!!!!!!!
GOD BLESS!!
Gema

AOL

#16 Nov 18, 2007
I would not watch or let my child watch a movie made by someone who publically admits to being atheist, or contribute money to it. MAY THE HOLY TRINITY ENLIGHTEN OUR MINDS AS PARENTS!
Mad Mick

Annandale, Australia

#17 Nov 18, 2007
Gema wrote:
I would not watch or let my child watch a movie made by someone who publically admits to being atheist, or contribute money to it. MAY THE HOLY TRINITY ENLIGHTEN OUR MINDS AS PARENTS!
Gema,

Where does Pullman say he is an Atheist? Do you have a direct link to somewhere that he states this?

As for the Trinity? The Bible does not mention there is a Trinity, we had to wait for a few hundred years till it was decided that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit were one and the same - couldn't be like the Pagans and have multiple gods so had to put the 3 into one and explain it as being to much for mans little mind to comprehend.

And I am a Christian just not Blind!!!
PAD

Louisville, KY

#18 Nov 18, 2007
I read the article from a Catholic who gives comments about the movie and the books. He seems pretty sure that the story does not attack Catholicism. It sounds like a theocracy is what the movie attacks. Humankind will never be able to set up a perfect theocracy, and the world is in such fear, that radicals of religions will set up a theocracy, and woe we will all be slaves to it. So the writer of the Pullman books naturally has some insight as to the fallacy of the world or a country having a theocracy for a gov.t. Don't take it seriously, watch star trek, and you will see the perfect life of an atheist traveling the universe. It is entertainment. Yes broaden the children's imagination, and be there to answer question, if any even arise.

“My Brain hurts”

Since: Nov 07

Wollongong Australia

#19 Nov 19, 2007
Oh dear, the Catholic League definitely are not a very nice mob. Now they are having a go at Scholastic for publishing His Dark Materials: http://www.catholicleague.org/release.php...

Guess they don't like Mr Pullman.
Gema

AOL

#20 Nov 19, 2007
Gema wrote:
I do not know much about computers so I wouldn't know how to give you a link, but there are tons. Just google Catholic reviews on The Golden Compass.(He is not only atheist but he hates christians)
As for THE HOLY TRINITY, Jesus states in the Bible that He and The Father are ONE and that when He departs He would stay with us in Spirit.(reguardless of the fact that there are many things that you believe in that might not be wrong, are true, and might not be in the Bible)
Furthermore, different people have posted that watching this film can broaden our children's imagination, they are right, it will, to the garbage that the devil has in store for them. The two biggest reasons why there are so many problems with the youth is that 1. parents are not monitoring and or making restrictions as to what children watch.(It states it very clear in the Bible he who takes the innocence from a child is better off tieing a rope around his neck and being thrown into the ocean)2. Because prayer and GOD have been taken out of so many things, people are believing less in the devil and his power, if you don't believe in something it has that much more power over you. The lack of prayer has brought about that we have less discernment and knowledge which creates a problem not only in our parenting decicions but our happiness and well being in general along with problems world wide.

MAY THE HOLY TRINITY BLESS US, MARY GUIDE US, AND OUR GUARDIAN ANGEL PROTECT US. AMEN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 37
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Philip Pullman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Eva Green - and Kinky Sex in 3D - Almost Sa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 TTH 1
News Children s books SHOULD have sex in, says best-... (Jun '13) Jun '13 dad of 3 1
News Jesus and his twin brother, Christ (Apr '10) Apr '10 TerryL 15
News Books that ask questions (Nov '09) Nov '09 ask more questions 1
News CULTURE: Atheism for kids (Oct '07) Sep '09 NoGod Needed 12
News Christians blast film The Golden Compass for at... (Nov '07) Sep '09 debunker 25
News Faith and Religion - The Golden Compass Movie I... (Dec '07) Apr '09 Dom 38
More from around the web