looking for lyrics of folk song - "Th...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Laura Samuelson

Bountiful, UT

#21 Nov 14, 2012
I'm looking for the lyrics of folk song - my grandmother sang to me as child - "There was a man in our town his name was simon slick - he had a mule with dreamy eyes but oh that mule could kick - he'd wink one eye and and shift his tail and greet you with a smile, then slowly telegraph his leg and
send you half a mile - Oh the mule he was a kicker, he'd send you up slicker and set you down quicker than all the Franklin liquor. He'd eat like a micker, that hungry mule sticker. A kicker no quicker could ever be found.
Then there was a verse about a boarding house. I don't remember all of it but in the end:
All the boarders in their nightclothes, stood around and held their breath, while he ... his back legs down his throat and kicked himself to death.
Erin Miller

Chicago, IL

#22 May 16, 2013
My Daddy sang it to me and he learned it from my Grand daddy:
There was a little old china man whose name was Simon Slick
He had a little old kickin mule and how that mule could kick
He kicked the feathers right off a goose, and he broke a poor man's back
Met a Texas railroad train and then he kicked it off the track
All that mule could say was : honkey honkey honk
he dissected sixty china med and killed a yeller dog, bit a Thomas cat in two and he pulverized a hog
All that mule could say was : honkey honkey honk
Byron H Elton

Santa Barbara, CA

#23 Jan 28, 2014
I grew up in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. This is how my Dad sang it ...
I once did know a little man, his name was Simon Slick,
He had a mule with beamin' eyes and how that mule could kick.
He'd wink his eye and wag his tail and greet you with a smile,
Then gently telegraph is leg and he'd kick you half a mile.
Chorus
That mule was a kicker, he'd pick you up slick and set you down quicker than old Boston Licker, he'd eat like a micker, a hungry bill sticker, a kicker no quicker could ever be found.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pete Seeger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Christianity Under an Islamist Crusader Mindset... Jun '15 Vote UKIP 4
News Concert review: Bruce Springsteen at the MidFlo... (May '14) May '14 Gerryg 1
News Marxist minstrel (Feb '14) Feb '14 Philliproy 1
News Pete Seeger: Looking back on a legendary figure (Jan '14) Feb '14 save storm king 5
News Toshi Seeger, wife of folk legend Pete Seeger, ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jeffrey Hedquist 1
News Woody Guthrie's 100th birthday celebrated in Okla. (Oct '12) Oct '12 Friends 1
News Woody Guthrie Centennial Birthday Celebration: ... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Brandt Hardin 1
More from around the web