Director of 'Basic Instinct' writes J...

Director of 'Basic Instinct' writes Jesus biography

There are 48 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 23, 2008, titled Director of 'Basic Instinct' writes Jesus biography. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

"Basic Instinct" director Paul Verhoeven has written a book that contradicts biblical teaching by suggesting that Jesus might have been fathered by a Roman soldier who raped Mary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

reza santorini

Skokie, IL

#21 Apr 23, 2008
I want His recipe for middle eastern
lasagne
Mav

Chicago, IL

#22 Apr 23, 2008
Dean wrote:
<quoted text>Open up a history book smart guy and you will find the answer to be yes. Even mentioning Obama in this situation kind of exposes your IQ and furthermore I would not throw ice cream at anyone. I would eat it!
Ah yes, Medieval History. I'll be sure to brush up on that. Got anything more recent and relevant for this discussion, perhaps something that happened within the past 200 years or so?

Nice try stupid. It's always fun debating the unintelligent Obama sheeple.
a Concerned Christian

United States

#23 Apr 23, 2008
This individual is being deceived by Satan, the father of lies. Jesus' father is God. The Bible says it and I believe it. Only Atheists, Satanists and Liberal Secularists would try to blaspheme in this way. And their recompense will be the lake of fire. This is typical of the failed society of Holland, with it's rampant drug use,homosexuality, prostitution and "tolerance" (of sin). I predict that God will show his vengeance on these blasphemers, perhaps by a storm that will inundate this fallen country that hates God. Their tolerance of the evil cult of Islam is also sure to bring the wrath of the one true God upon them.
rjinchi

Matteson, IL

#24 Apr 23, 2008
Cant wait to see what kind of response the Catholic church has for this......for if it is true, they are out-o-business.....
Derrick

Cicero, IL

#25 Apr 23, 2008
This is pure garbage that demeans the Tribune and other media for printing it. The anti-Christian forces in the world are astounding. They're too cowardly to go after Muslims because they will respond appropriately. Maybe it's time for Christians to do the same. Keep the lions hungry.
rjinchi

Matteson, IL

#26 Apr 23, 2008
a Concerned Christian wrote:
This individual is being deceived by Satan, the father of lies. Jesus' father is God. The Bible says it and I believe it. Only Atheists, Satanists and Liberal Secularists would try to blaspheme in this way. And their recompense will be the lake of fire. This is typical of the failed society of Holland, with it's rampant drug use,homosexuality, prostitution and "tolerance" (of sin). I predict that God will show his vengeance on these blasphemers, perhaps by a storm that will inundate this fallen country that hates God. Their tolerance of the evil cult of Islam is also sure to bring the wrath of the one true God upon them.
I think you need to get out the burbs and move to Utah.....better yet,,, find yourself a clue.
Matt

Aurora, IL

#27 Apr 23, 2008
telleroftruths wrote:
Nothing like stepping on the toes of the dim-witted bible thumpers, is there? Next will come the silly, empty threats of damnation by their fictitous undergroud supernatural wizard...Pathetic
How sad. You try to validate yourself and your own lack of faith by mocking others. See, while you mock and denigrate those of us who do believe, we just pray for you. Your condecension reflects a lot more poorly on you than impacts us.
JBS

Anaheim, CA

#28 Apr 23, 2008
telleroftruths wrote:
I'd agree with that theory. It's sure more believable than than the belief that some fictional supernatural space wizard diddled her.
Talk about living in denial.
I'm doubt that anyone performed a hymen test on her to make sure that she was still a 'virgin' before she gave birth to the supposed 'son' of the supernatural space wizard.
See, comments like this directed at any other group is considered "bigotry." But whatever. Believe as you wish, and I will believe as I do. We're both going to die, and the truth will be revealed. If you're right, I'll be dust and not care, anyway. If you're wrong... then at least you'll have lived your way for the few decades you had on Earth, right?
a Concerned Christian

United States

#29 Apr 23, 2008
Rjinchi, Utah is controlled by the cult of Mormonism , another perversion of Christ's true Word as revealed in the Bible. Though they may be pious people they have blasphemed also by following the false "prophet" Joseph Smith who committed the sin of idolatry and sexual perversion. Obviously you are also deceived by Satan. I will pray that you see the Truth through the Holy Spirit.
cub fan

Libertyville, IL

#30 Apr 23, 2008
Relate in book Mary when she withdrew from her family to a place in the east she placed a screen from them then god sent to her angle and appeared before her as a man in all respect and said to her Iam a messenger from the lord to give you a gift a pure son she said how shall i have a son and that no man has touched me the angle told her its the lord miracle . but this idiot said she was raped by a roman soldier .we need to hang high
hypocritesnevern eedproof

Chicago, IL

#31 Apr 23, 2008
As an agnostic, I don't have any faith based argument against Verhoeven's theory. What I can't comprehend is how there could possibly be any physical proof of this kind of theory. This just seems to be another instance of someone who is successful in one medium being given a voice in another due only to name recognition. I mean, if some other celebrity, say Bruce Willis, wanted to write a book saying Mary had been impregnated by aliens, there would be a publisher who'd pay him money to do it. It just speaks to the lack of intellectual accomplishment in media today.

And by the way, even though I'm not a believer, I find people like "Telleroftruths" to be incredibly obnoxious and hypocritical. I'm the first one to bristle when religious folks seek to impose their beliefs on me. On the other hand, I don't otherwise see any reason to be smug and aggressive in trying to seek validation for my own views. I recognize that I don't have any empirical proof that there is no supreme being, so I'd be on very shaky ground to mock other people's understanding of reality.
Bill Donahue

Tilton, IL

#32 Apr 23, 2008
Was he there? How would he know anything? Is there no limit to the rot people will publish? And to dignify it with a story and meek comments like "he's pretty out there." No, he is just plain looney. He stole a line from The Nativity Scene and turned it into a book. How could a publisher even take it seriously? Is there no respect left in this world for the sacred? No one should buy, no one should sell this book.
Phil

United States

#33 Apr 23, 2008
"Rjinchi, Utah is controlled by the cult of Mormonism , another perversion of Christ's true Word as revealed in the Bible. Though they may be pious people they have blasphemed also by following the false "prophet" Joseph Smith who committed the sin of idolatry and sexual perversion. Obviously you are also deceived by Satan. I will pray that you see the Truth through the Holy Spirit. "

Spare me your pitiful superstition and GET A LIFE!
Joe

Chicago, IL

#34 Apr 23, 2008
If you want to read an intersting novel about Jesus, read "King Jesus" by Robert Graves.
Tyler

Villa Park, IL

#35 Apr 23, 2008
So, you who believe this guy think we all just popped up on Earth one day?
bmk

Bolingbrook, IL

#36 Apr 23, 2008
JBS, you are absolutely right about Christians being the only group it's okay to hate. Most importantly, you gave a very good illustration of the consequences of being right/wrong about this matter -- I've heard a version of that before and it is such a good example of what's at stake.

To 'Even hypocrites need proof': I can highly respect your viewpoint because you are humble and rational about it. It's refreshing!

And for all those who tell us Christians to get a life -- well, we already have.
LCK

Venice, FL

#37 Apr 23, 2008
What do you expect from an area that getting high is OK. Some powerful weed that this goof smoked.
u gotta be kidding

Melrose Park, IL

#38 Apr 23, 2008
dude's gotta be doing too much weed there.
Brian Uhrlacher

Orlando, FL

#39 Apr 23, 2008
Wow! What a relief, at least paul didn't accuse an illegal alien or Bill Clinton of raping Mary!

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#40 Apr 23, 2008
telleroftruths wrote:
strut2k: "How does he know what happened 2000 years ago? If it's fiction, OK."
######
That's a laugh. His book can be proven with as many 'facts' as those contained in the book of lies, myths, and legends known as the bible.
"...the book of lies, myths, and legends known as the bible.", you have to admit, has had a long shelf life. If Mr. Robo Cop set out to rewrite Shakesphere or Chaucer, I would find it absurd, just like his desire to rewrite the biblical story.

But it's a free country. If he wants to make a name for himself, have at it.

Let's see what he's capable of...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paul Verhoeven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hollywood Director: "Jesus Was the Son of Mary ... (Jul '08) Jun '11 yosevideo 2
News Oscar winners, Halle & Jamie, couldn't keep the... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Karen 16
News Only Bitter Americans Will Take Offense at this... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Rastislav Mikulas 1
News 'Jesus Seminar' scholar writes Jesus biography (Apr '08) Apr '08 Non-Believer 2
News A darker, better noir, in color: SouthFlorida.com (May '07) May '07 Alana G 1
Interview with Paul Verhoeven on his new film: ... (Jan '07) Jan '07 Jeannie 1
More from around the web