Director of 'Basic Instinct' writes Jesus biography

Full story: Chicago Tribune

"Basic Instinct" director Paul Verhoeven has written a book that contradicts biblical teaching by suggesting that Jesus might have been fathered by a Roman soldier who raped Mary.
Comments
1 - 20 of 48 Comments Last updated Apr 24, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
gilmore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Wow, wait until this hits the fan.
Dean

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Will the christians call for a jihad(crusade) on Paul Verhoeven? Will they be crowding around the publishing house chanting death to the infidel(sinner)? I'm looking forward to this!
Red

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Movie director? Author? This guy knows everything! It must be true! What a prick.

“Hail Flying Spaghetti Monster!”

Since: Nov 07

Callahan, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

I'd agree with that theory. It's sure more believable than than the belief that some fictional supernatural space wizard diddled her.
Talk about living in denial.
I'm doubt that anyone performed a hymen test on her to make sure that she was still a 'virgin' before she gave birth to the supposed 'son' of the supernatural space wizard.
Red

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

That's pp/rr/ii/cc/kk.
wrecksracer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

No....see...it was immaculate conception. This invisible ghost, let's call it the Holy Ghost, that's it!....that's who impregnated Mary. The invisible man.....oops, I mean the Holy Ghost.
GARY

Collinsville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

WHAT A SCANDLE
Gladiator

Dekalb, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

How original, Mr. Verhoerven. This was an accusation made first by some of Jesus' fellow Jews at that time (see John 8:41) and throughout the ages by other psuedo-scholars and crackpots.
Glad to see that you are following up on your other fine cultural achievements having lofty morals (see films, "Basic Instincts" and "Striptease").

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Some guy pulls a theory out of his hind quarters, and it's a news story??

How does he know what happened 2000 years ago? If it's fiction, OK. Label it honestly, put it out there, and sit back. Wait for your Nobel Prize nomination.

I'm not expecting insight from the man who gave the world immortal classics like "Basic Instinct" and "Robo Cop"...
Lowbass

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Rolling on the floor laughing at this one! Can anyone else imagine Sharon Stone in her Basic Instinct role, but as Mary?
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

telleroftruths wrote:
I'd agree with that theory. It's sure more believable than than the belief that some fictional supernatural space wizard diddled her.
Talk about living in denial.
I'm doubt that anyone performed a hymen test on her to make sure that she was still a 'virgin' before she gave birth to the supposed 'son' of the supernatural space wizard.
I'm guessing your "supernatural space wizard" is who most of the rest of the world refers to as God? I guess you're afraid to actually say God in the context of the "crap" you wrote?
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Dean wrote:
Will the christians call for a jihad(crusade) on Paul Verhoeven? Will they be crowding around the publishing house chanting death to the infidel(sinner)? I'm looking forward to this!
We won't do anything. It's too stupid to even bother with.
Mav

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Dean wrote:
Why, do Christians usually respond this way?

Here we go, the Obama goons are out taking shots at anyone whose Christian. They are so brave taking on a religion where the followers do not retaliate or behead for trivial things like cartoons or this story.

People like Dean remind me of the guys from the movie 'Witness' who were mocking the Amish by throwing ice cream at them. Get a life.
Hil

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Everyone knows Mary was impregnated by a visiting alien. Where else did Jesus get his alien superpowers from? Duh! Anyone with a typewriter and a bank account these days. Leave speculative history to Dan Brown.

Callahan, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

strut2k: "How does he know what happened 2000 years ago? If it's fiction, OK."
######
That's a laugh. His book can be proven with as many 'facts' as those contained in the book of lies, myths, and legends known as the bible.

Callahan, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Well reality, I'd guess that it really does take 'crap' to recognize 'crap', right?
Dean

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing your "supernatural space wizard" is who most of the rest of the world refers to as God? I guess you're afraid to actually say God in the context of the "crap" you wrote?
It's kind of funny that you refer to yourself as Reality while maintaining a belief in ghosts.

Callahan, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Nothing like stepping on the toes of the dim-witted bible thumpers, is there? Next will come the silly, empty threats of damnation by their fictitous undergroud supernatural wizard...Pathetic
Nick

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Ha, it has been done.

Always look on the bright side of life !!
Dean

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Mav wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, do Christians usually respond this way?
Here we go, the Obama goons are out taking shots at anyone whose Christian. They are so brave taking on a religion where the followers do not retaliate or behead for trivial things like cartoons or this story.
People like Dean remind me of the guys from the movie 'Witness' who were mocking the Amish by throwing ice cream at them. Get a life.
Open up a history book smart guy and you will find the answer to be yes. Even mentioning Obama in this situation kind of exposes your IQ and furthermore I would not throw ice cream at anyone. I would eat it!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Paul Verhoeven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hollywood Director: "Jesus Was the Son of Mary ... (Jul '08) Jun '11 yosevideo 2
Oscar winners, Halle & Jamie, couldn't keep the... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Karen 16
Only Bitter Americans Will Take Offense at this... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Rastislav Mikulas 1
'Jesus Seminar' scholar writes Jesus biography (Apr '08) Apr '08 Non-Believer 2
A darker, better noir, in color: SouthFlorida.com (May '07) May '07 Alana G 1
Interview with Paul Verhoeven on his new film: ... (Jan '07) Jan '07 Jeannie 1

Search the Paul Verhoeven Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••