Jenner & Block's work weighs in Conne...

Jenner & Block's work weighs in Connecticut same-sex marriage r...

There are 34 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 13, 2008, titled Jenner & Block's work weighs in Connecticut same-sex marriage r.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jenner & Block had a hand in Friday's groundbreaking decision by the Connecticut Supreme Court to legalize same-sex marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned

Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 14, 2008
Who cares, as long as two people love each other so be it.
vivek

Chennai, India

#2 Oct 14, 2008
its boring
Robert

Rahway, NJ

#3 Oct 14, 2008
Once again this shows that today's media rather than reporting the news is concerned about making it. With this change it is also right to rethink the absolute protections to it afforded under the Constitution.
Betty McBitter

Chicago, IL

#4 Oct 14, 2008
Isn't this a little off topic? Reading the article, I don't see how this is "making the news vs. reporting it"... it's one of those human interest pieces that every newspaper is filled with.

One annoying quality about the Chicago media is that they seem to think that every major story has to have some local connection, no matter how strained. It's not so strained in this story, but some others? My Lord.
LastAmerican

Highland, CA

#5 Oct 14, 2008
Believe me people, this is just the start of the liberal pursuit for (depravity) genital freedom. When are they going to give necropheliac, zoophiles their rights? After all aren't they born that way? They aren’t hurting anyone. They have secured the "right" to kill their unborn. Changed buggery from a crime, to a “lifestyle” they want taught to kids. I keep hearing the homo mantra,“keep the government out of our bedroom”. Hey, keep your bedroom out of our schools.
a Concerned Christian

Schaumburg, IL

#6 Oct 14, 2008
These people will have to answer to God for helping to destroy the sanctity of marriage in America. This is a Christian country. The Bible tells us that Sodomy is a great sin against God's plan for the world. We need to get back to basics. I believe our current financial problems are another warning from God to return to the path of righteousness. He love's us but he cannot abide a sinful nation. Those who choose the "gay" lifestyle should not be allowed to pretend they are married in the eyes of God.
Just Annie

Orange Park, FL

#7 Oct 14, 2008
Paul Smith is my hero. Gay Americans are not going to go away, quit falling in love, or quit living together in committed relationships, just because gay marriage is outlawed. Most gay couples get up, eat breakfast, go to work, and then go home to their families, just like other people. There is nothing depraved or remarkable or different about how they conduct their lives. Marriage simply allows them the same rights - the same protections, and the same right to happiness as straight couples. That's all they want, nothing more, nothing less.
moquif

Lake Villa, IL

#8 Oct 14, 2008
a Concerned Christian wrote:
This is a Christian country.
Are you actually going to support this outrageous claim or just keep repeating this lie?

This is a secular country with freedom of religion. That is fundamentally incompatible with the notion of "a christian country".
JimmyO

Naperville, IL

#9 Oct 14, 2008
I do find this sort of ironic. I'm all for two gay people having the right to marry. I can't wait to see how the court handles divorce proceedings, visitation, support orders, etc. for these marriages where children are involved. It would be easy to say the same as heterosexual couples. However, there is still clear gender bias today for heterosexuals couples. Food for thought I guess.
Ed B

Dawson Springs, KY

#10 Oct 14, 2008
Hey.. "a Concerned Christian"

God does not exist.. its a myth.. a made up story to help you live your life.

Let others live their life how they want it and you go live yours.

Get over it.
Florida Jim

Clermont, FL

#11 Oct 14, 2008
Elect Obama/Biden and we'll have more of this perversion.
Study the history of Rome and watch the same take place here.
I feel badly that the homosexual lobby is slowly gaining support because of the public schools promoting this agenda.
It begins with changing the name from queer to gay, then "coming out" , then being seen in public as "couples", then having "parades" celebrating being weird, then asking for "civil rights" to share benefits with employers, then asking for "marriage between men" and calling it "love". What is next in our country?
CountryinTrouble

Washington, DC

#12 Oct 14, 2008
Whenever I read articles like this, I get sick to my stomach. Same sex marriage goes against the very fabric of nature and is a finger in the face of God and all that is good.
Think about it - if being gay is right, why didn't nature allow gays to reproduce? Because it's not a natural behavior.
Saying that same sex unions are the same as a traditional family structure (One man/One woman) is a bold faced lie. Same sex marriage is perverse and objectionable. Kids brought up in that environment have no idea what is right or wrong. Soon, we'll start to hear from those that practice beastiality that they want to marrry their horse, cat or dog. You may say that that is disgusting. Well, it wasn't long ago that people were disgusted with homosexuals. What's the difference between the two? Nothing, they are both objectionable.
People need to wake up and defend traditional marriage. Family values are what keeps this nation strong. I think part of the reason this nation is in such turmoil is due to the weakening of family structures. This nation has become numb to what is right and wrong due in part to the constant homosexual agenda attack on family values. They cloud the picture by using words like "tolerant" and "accepting". Well, this is a bold faced lie too. We can be tolerant at the same time we can remain steadfast. I'm not suggesting putting homosexuals in jail or punishing them in any way - I'm just saying let's not allow them to say we are the same. Because in truth - we are not. Say "NO" to same sex marriage. Do not let these radical judges decide what is right and wrong. Force them to uphold the laws. Fight them if they try to change the law to support something that you know is wrong.
Ralph

United States

#13 Oct 14, 2008
Florida Jim wrote:
What is next in our country?
Maybe the elimination of bigots who are unable to find new groups to hate just because they are different? SSM will do no harm to your marriage if it is strong to begin with, or even if it wasn't strong to begin with. Your marriage is yours, and only you can decide, along with your spouse, if it is in danger. No one, including you, has espoused any real harm that SSM can cause, or any reason, other than religion to withhold it. Or can you?
moquif

Lake Villa, IL

#14 Oct 14, 2008
Florida Jim wrote:
Study the history of Rome and watch the same take place here.
Rome fell after it adopted christianity you know.
moquif

Lake Villa, IL

#15 Oct 14, 2008
CountryinTrouble wrote:
People need to wake up and defend traditional marriage.
You mean the arranged marriages when the "bride" was little more than a child and had to have a dowry? You mean back when the idea of "marital rape" was a contradiction in terms? You mean back when beating your wife was allowed by all and it was socially acceptable for the husband to have affairs and illegitimate children? Because that was all considered part of the history of "traditional marriage". Marrying for love and it being considered an equal partnership is relatively new and doesn't come close to tradition.
chicagogreg

United States

#16 Oct 14, 2008
Congrats & great job!
RegularGuy

Melrose Park, IL

#17 Oct 14, 2008
First of all, J&B is a LAW FIRM. Lawyers are, by nature and training, amoral creatures. For a lawyer, there isn't a line between right and wrong. There's only a client, and the lawyer's job is to make sure their client wins.

I have no doubt that had fate intervened differently, any other law firm would have done the same. Or if J&B had been retained to argue AGAINST same-sex marriage, they would have taken the case and argued just as vigorously.

Morality means I know the difference between right and wrong. Lawyers can take on any client - regardless of the client's position - because they are amoral. No right, no wrong, just a client with a fee.
CountryinTrouble

Washington, DC

#18 Oct 14, 2008
moquif wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the arranged marriages when the "bride" was little more than a child and had to have a dowry? You mean back when the idea of "marital rape" was a contradiction in terms? You mean back when beating your wife was allowed by all and it was socially acceptable for the husband to have affairs and illegitimate children? Because that was all considered part of the history of "traditional marriage". Marrying for love and it being considered an equal partnership is relatively new and doesn't come close to tradition.
LOL - No!, that's not what I said and you know it. But, this is another typical attack by the homosexual agenda. Divert the real discussion to something totally off subject. If you look back into history you will find abuses of all kinds in all walks of human activity. That is not the subject here. And, you know that is not what I was referring too. I will not let you divert the focus on the real subject. Traditional marriage is between one man and one woman.

Michael Anthony

AOL

#19 Oct 14, 2008
These people will have to answer to God for helping to destroy the sanctity of marriage in America. This is a Christian country. The Bible tells us that Sodomy is a great sin against God's plan for the world. We need to get back to basics. I believe our current financial problems are another warning from God to return to the path of righteousness. He love's us but he cannot abide a sinful nation. Those who choose the "gay" lifestyle should not be allowed to pretend they are married in the eyes of God.
1.It absurd to use the words "The Sanctity of Marriage". Heterosexuals can get married on a whim. They are free to divorce on a whim. They are free to marry 1 time, 2 times, 10 times. There is no limit on the numbers of marriages one may have. If you want to maintain that marriage is sacred, then ban divorce.
2. If Sodomy is a great sin against Gods plan, them please enlighten me. What happens to all the heterosexuals who practice sodomy??
3. God as a punisher is a frequently used "tool" by the far right to advance their own personal agenda.
4. The same arguments were used before the historic "Loving vs Virginia" case that allowed mixed race marriages.
5. The US Constitution forbids treating citizens differently. We should all be afraid of those that want to change the Constitution to ban Gay Marriage. It would be the FIRST time in our history, that the Constitution would forbid certain citizens, certain rights. I wonder which European Country did that in the build up to WWII??
Gay Catholic

Chicago, IL

#20 Oct 14, 2008
These people will have to answer to God for helping to destroy the sanctity of marriage in America.
Do you feel this strongly about the more than 50% of straight marriages that end in divorce?

This is a Christian country.
No, this is a country of religious freedom.

The Bible tells us that Sodomy is a great sin against God's plan for the world.
How do you feel about straight people having oral sex or other forms of sex?

I believe our current financial problems are another warning from God to return to the path of righteousness.
A lot of these problems were caused by republicans who are just as bigoted as you.

He love's us but he cannot abide a sinful nation. Those who choose the "gay" lifestyle should not be allowed to pretend they are married in the eyes of God.
Being gay is not a choice. Are you conciously choosing to be straight? If so, you are not truly straight. Bigots like you who insist on judging others - though the Bible tells us we shouldn't - give Christians a bad name.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paul Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ontario family's year-long world tour to show k... Jul 1 How 1
News Threat Of Losing Obamacare Turns Some Apolitica... Feb '17 USA-1 5
News Powerful camps behind Conservative nomination s... (Oct '14) Oct '14 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
News Big names at London Fashion Week (Sep '13) Sep '13 watching them Dan... 6
News Economy strikes USPS (Mar '09) Jun '11 tommyg 15
News Anglican same-sex blessings OK'd in N.S., P.E.I. (May '11) May '11 Vic 1
News Anglican same-sex blessings OK'd in N.S., P.E.I. (May '11) May '11 writewingproxycontin 1
More from around the web