Drake Levin dies at 62; guitarist

Drake Levin dies at 62; guitarist

There are 7 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 7, 2009, titled Drake Levin dies at 62; guitarist. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Drake Levin, far right, died Saturday at his home in San Francisco after a long battle with cancer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

That guy

Palatine, IL

#1 Jul 8, 2009
"Thigh high boots?" What kind of sick fetishes are you harboring? They never wore anything higher than the knees.

Elgin, IL

#2 Jul 8, 2009
fun band!

Oviedo, FL

#3 Jul 8, 2009
The Raiders were my favorite band when I was growing up. Rest in peace, Drake

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 8, 2009
That guy wrote:
"Thigh high boots?" What kind of sick fetishes are you harboring? They never wore anything higher than the knees.
Now, now...can't fault those too young to remember if they mess up a little detail like that.

Still - that's the detail that leapt out at you, eh? Who's the fetishist now?

Dear Drake, RIP. Just Like Me, Hungry, Good Thing, Kicks - great songs I still love. Cute guys in a kick@ss band with silly hats. And boots. Those were the days.

Naperville, IL

#5 Jul 8, 2009
I echo "Hungry's" sentiments - they were the best thing on "Where The Action Is". Drake's joining the Raiders is noted tongue-in-cheek on the "Here They Come!" album where, as the youngest member of the band at age 18, he's called The Kid: "...Drake arrived in Raider country from Chicago where he was an avid bicycle and hubcap collector and former grade school dropout, moving west to conquer new territories for his nocturnal habits. His parents had great hopes for him, but, alas, all hope was abandoned upon his joining this infamous band of swinging gentlemen...Paul Revere spoke prophetically,'trade in your hubcaps for a rock-'n'-roll guitar, and you too may attain to great great magnificence.' And it came to pass." Rest in peace Drake, and enjoy the great gig in the sky.
That guy

Palatine, IL

#6 Jul 8, 2009
fanta wrote:
<quoted text>
Still - that's the detail that leapt out at you, eh? Who's the fetishist now?
It was in the first paragraph talking about the band, fergoodnessakes! The boots were not a big deal back then, unlike the Rutles' trousers...

Casa Grande, AZ

#7 Jul 10, 2009
"thigh-high boots?" knee-high Flamenco boots as I recall. Also, Where The Action Is was a daily show that ran on ABC from 1965-67, not weekly. A precursor to MTV.
Other than that, a nicely done -- and appreciated -- tribute.
Some thoughts...
Sure, the Revolutionary War uniforms were on the campy side, but gimmicks and TV exposure aren't enough, as the Raiders had the talent to establish themselves as the top show band in the Northwest long before Dick Clark found them.
The Raiders' recordings were, for the most part, impeccably produced (by Terry Melcher and Mark Lindsay), performed at a high level, and hold up quite well today when compared to many of their contemporaries.
Drake's guitar work was a big part of their sound, and the Raiders' hit-making lineup's ongoing absence from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is inexcusable.
RIP Drake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paul Revere & the Raiders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Heartbreak Hotel' knocked him flat on the grou... (Jan '15) Feb '15 Sadie Hawkins 3
News Head Raider Paul Revere to retire, but band wil... (Sep '14) Sep '14 sue bowden 1
News Formerly homeless rock star Bobby Hayden Jr. bu... (Mar '12) Mar '14 Redeemed by the b... 3
News Almanac March 9, 2012 (Mar '12) Mar '12 Carl 1
News Good Thing (Apr '11) Apr '11 jenny82 1
News Off the Record; There's no business like horse ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Basic 2
News Star-watching at the California Theatre (Jan '10) Jan '10 jesse 1
More from around the web