One Track Mind: The Beatles "Hey Bull...

One Track Mind: The Beatles "Hey Bulldog"

There are 6 comments on the Blogcritics story from Jul 29, 2007, titled One Track Mind: The Beatles "Hey Bulldog" . In it, Blogcritics reports that:

In February, 1968, before departing for an ill-fated trip to India for an extended course in transcendental meditation, the Beatles convened at the Abbey Road studios to cut a single that would keep them in the public eye while they were away. That single eventually became John Lennon & Paul McCartney's "Lady Madonna" with George Harrison's "The Inner Light" on the flip side. It was originally intended for Lennon's "Across The Universe" to make it onto the single, but the group couldn't decide how to record it. Lennon, however, did bring one more tune to the mini-sessions: "Hey Bulldog." Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Blogcritics.

Recital Vinylist

Honolulu, HI

#1 Jul 30, 2007
John had nearly nothing to do with lady madonna.
Paul played the drums and hired a saxophone player..It was mostly him and George Martin.
Hey Bulldog was spontaneously made up on the spot, and is certainly one of my favorite rockers.
You can really hear the group collaborative effort there..What a happy song , although some of those lyrics sound very "George like"..
Recital Vinylist

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jul 30, 2007
good article .Thanks! Yellow Submarine Soudtrack is one kick-ass piece of wax, and they never have discontinued the George Martin Soundtrack side.
The opening soundtrack instrumental is, as you know, "Glorius!"
Iron-Balls McGinty

United States

#3 Aug 5, 2007
"Piece of wax?" No spelling errors, even in words like "saxophone," "collaborative," and "discontinued"? No slang, no stupid Internet shortcuts (ur, h8t, omg, LOL, ROFLMAO, etc.)? Frequent and proper use of words of more than two syllables? Obeying the rules of grammar?

Just what are you trying to do here? You MUST be up to no good! The Devil must have sent you!
Iron-Balls McGinty

United States

#4 Aug 5, 2007
I love John and George's stuff the best: Old Brown Shoe, Here Comes The Sun, Something, Come Together, Don't Let Me Down, Because, Run For Your Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am The Walrus, Dig a Pony, It's Only Love, Rain, Revolution, The Ballad of John and Yoko, Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam...

You're right, though: Hey Bulldog does sound spontaneous, and is a great, rocking track!
Mike C

Kettleman City, CA

#5 Dec 23, 2007
Paul hired famed jazz sax player Ronnie Scott to play on Lady Madonna and John's contribution was the line "See how they run" and sang harmony. Paul wrote it as a tribute to Fat's Domino who loved it when Paul played it for him.
Mike C

Kettleman City, CA

#6 Dec 23, 2007
Wow did anyone see the McCartney show from Paris on A&E? It was great!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paul McCartney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When I'm seventy four Jun 18 Greg 1
Welcome to Saint Bubba's Bar and Grill (Jan '09) Jun 5 -Lily- 10,844
Heather See McCartney--daughter (Apr '08) May 28 DEE 14
News Pure McCartney VR is like standing in a musical... May '16 Hostis Publicus 1
News Paul McCartney fights to get back his songs Apr '16 Ummm 195
News Paul McCartney's concert 'the heaviest show on ... Apr '16 King Prince 4
News Paul McCartney in Portland: As good as it gets Apr '16 Octo Is A Woodpecker 2
More from around the web