Master of Microsoft's Domain? Jerry S...

Master of Microsoft's Domain? Jerry Seinfeld to be pitchman for...

There are 8 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 22, 2008, titled Master of Microsoft's Domain? Jerry Seinfeld to be pitchman for.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Now, add Microsoft software. Seinfeld will be a key pitchman in a planned $300 million fall advertising campaign for the software giant, a person familiar with the plans confirmed to The Associated Press on ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Mike B

Lincolnwood, IL

#1 Aug 22, 2008
When I read that Seinfeld had joined The Dark Side, I immediately thought of the Macs that were prominent on the show, startin with the lowly 128K Mac (maybe it was a Mac Plus or alter model, but one with a 9" monochrome screen) that sat in the back corner by Jerry's window overlooking the street. You never, ever saw him use it... maybe he was so used to DOS and possibly Windows 1.0 that the thought of using MacWrite and MacPaint were abhorrent to him... now, years later, he is going to be a huckster for Vista, one of the worst operating systems to be foist upon the computing world since, possibly, Windows ME, and reminiscent of Microsoft Bob, the user interface enhancement program that I'm sure everyone at Microsoft would love to forget. Times change... but the fact that money can buy anything, including celebrity endorsements for marginal products, goes on. If Vista is so wonderful, why is Microsoft already focusing on telling the world about Windows 7?
MattC

Belcamp, MD

#3 Aug 22, 2008
I lost respect for this guy when he instantly appeared on Letterman defending "Kramer's" racist rant as a joke. I am sure the impact on sales of Seinfeld's DVD sets did not enter into it at all! Next his wife is involved in a lawsuit alleging plagarism over a cookbook for kids. The young people today will not be swayed by this former comedian turned huckster. Those "Bee Movie" ads are still the laughing stock of the marketing world.
Jimmy P

Norfolk, VA

#4 Aug 22, 2008
MattC wrote:
I lost respect for this guy when he instantly appeared on Letterman defending "Kramer's" racist rant as a joke. I am sure the impact on sales of Seinfeld's DVD sets did not enter into it at all! Next his wife is involved in a lawsuit alleging plagarism over a cookbook for kids. The young people today will not be swayed by this former comedian turned huckster. Those "Bee Movie" ads are still the laughing stock of the marketing world.
Come on Matt. He was defending a friend not excusing what he said. Kramer obviously distraught. He lost his job on Murphy Brown, he was first one out of the contest, he had to give his favorite jacket away to the Cubans, and Newman celebrated Newmanium without him.
Can't you cut him a break?
Mike D

Orlando, FL

#5 Aug 22, 2008
What target audience is IBM going for, wouldn't they want someone cutting edge ?

This sounds like another failure for Microsoft.
Old Grouch

United States

#6 Aug 22, 2008
IBM and Microsoft are two separate corporations. IBM creates hardware. Since they thought software was not their thing, they contracted with Gates and his partner to allow Microsoft to install its operating programs in the original PCs when they were shipped.

And thus was born the monster. I'm stuck with Vista, because my laptop died after Vista had been released. When I bought the replacement, all of them had Vista, and the computer geeks at Best Buy told me that Microsoft wasn't going to support XP anymore. That was obviously wrong.

Vista is not compatible with anything you'd want to download. It asks you constantly if you really want to do whatever you're trying to do. And it freezes in the middle of a project.

It'll take more than an outdated standup comic to convince endusers that Microsoft is worthwhile. Next time I get a Mac.
Bryan

Newport News, VA

#7 Aug 23, 2008
Old Grouch wrote:
IBM and Microsoft are two separate corporations. IBM creates hardware. Since they thought software was not their thing, they contracted with Gates and his partner to allow Microsoft to install its operating programs in the original PCs when they were shipped.
And thus was born the monster. I'm stuck with Vista, because my laptop died after Vista had been released. When I bought the replacement, all of them had Vista, and the computer geeks at Best Buy told me that Microsoft wasn't going to support XP anymore. That was obviously wrong.
Vista is not compatible with anything you'd want to download. It asks you constantly if you really want to do whatever you're trying to do. And it freezes in the middle of a project.
It'll take more than an outdated standup comic to convince endusers that Microsoft is worthwhile. Next time I get a Mac.
I bought a Dell last December, I had an option to choose XP over Vista. XP got my vote and I'm a very happy user. No Mac for me, I'm not going to re-fi my house to buy a computer!
Meg

Altamonte Springs, FL

#8 Aug 23, 2008
Vista has been selling well? Sure, because Dell is, as far as I can tell, the only "off the shelf" PC which offers an OPTION of Vista or XP. I do know those who bought XP and installed it on their new PC's.

Never in a million years did IBM and/or Microsoft believe Mac would actually threaten their marketshare, but here we are 20 years later and OOPS! They wouldn't be hiring Seidfeld if they hadn't pushed a product for release which was clearly unready, thinking, mistakenly, that the world could just take whatever they had to dish out.

On Dells part, the option they are offering I'm sure has helped their lagging sales lost with the decline of what aspect put them on the PC purchasing map, their customer service.
Jay Lynch

Brush Prairie, WA

#9 Aug 23, 2008
Elaine and Jerry can have a discussion as to whether Vista is pc-worthy. Elaine declares it is absolutely NOT pc-worthy. She only has 37 pc's and refuses to waste them on Vista. Kramer bursts in. "Are you talking about Vista? I wouldn't wipe Little Jerry's ass with it!!" Kramer mugs, canned laughter follows. Queue Seinfeld theme music.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patrick Warburton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TV tonight: 'Rules,' 'Molly,' 'Castle' (Jul '13) Aug '13 New China 2
Patrick Warburton nude (Sep '11) Oct '11 Brad 2
News Patrick Warburton Joins Ted (Apr '11) Apr '11 the yapper 1
News Seinfeld to be pitchman for Microsoft (Aug '08) Aug '08 ATRose 1
News CBS Makes New Monday 'Rules' - 'Class' ending e... (Feb '08) Feb '08 che aku 1
News Bee Movie gets a "B" from me (Nov '07) Nov '07 Ian 4
News Bee Movie gets a B from me (Nov '07) Nov '07 Intern Anthony 1
More from around the web