Russia gets a slice of GM's Opel oper...

Russia gets a slice of GM's Opel operations in Europe

There are 69 comments on the en.rian.ru story from May 30, 2009, titled Russia gets a slice of GM's Opel operations in Europe. In it, en.rian.ru reports that:

Germany and Magna International, backed by Russia's Sberbank and GAZ, reached a deal early Saturday that will see the consortium take over car maker Opel, part of U.S. car giant GM.

Magna, Canada's largest auto-component maker will acquire a 20% stake in Opel with Russia's state-owned Sberbank and car maker GAZ, owned by billionaire Oleg Deripaska, taking a 35% slice making the consortium a majority shareholder.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at en.rian.ru.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jazz singer

Newbury, UK

#62 Jun 29, 2009
Looks to me that Deripask and Putin made a 'coup' and acquired Opel technology for GAS and Russia on the cheap.

Of course, in view of the allegations against Deripaska, the deal could have been refused, but who else is interested in GM Europe. The prospective buyers are not really queuing up, are they?

So beggers can't be choosers!!
GM Beancounter

Peterborough, NH

#63 Jun 29, 2009
I heard GM offered to throw in Saab for a dollar extra but they shrugged it off, then fell on the floor in a fit of laughter.
GM AdMan

Peterborough, NH

#64 Jun 29, 2009
Jacko wrote:
<quoted text>
They are the world's largest auto manufacturer. Not bad for incompetent.
With enough advertising and chrome fins, we could even sell icemobiles to eskimos in our heyday.
Saab Story

Peterborough, NH

#65 Jun 29, 2009
GM Beancounter wrote:
I heard GM offered to throw in Saab for a dollar extra but they shrugged it off, then fell on the floor in a fit of laughter.
Nobody loves me.........boo hoo hoo :-(
Jazz singer

Newbury, UK

#66 Jun 29, 2009
Jacko wrote:
<quoted text>
They are the world's largest auto manufacturer. Not bad for incompetent.
They are living on borrowed time; literally !!
Tata GM

Peterborough, NH

#67 Jun 29, 2009
Tata motors is bidding on the remnants.

Our future:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/06/2...
George Bush

Peterborough, NH

#68 Jun 29, 2009
Darn it, I told Obama that all he had to do was increase the Jumbo SUV tax writeoff from my humble efforts in order to save our auto industry. "A Hummer in every pot" was my motto.

Why am I such a has been? Didn't even get a darn library in my name, not that I'd ever visit it. Oh well.
Bill Clinton

Peterborough, NH

#69 Jun 29, 2009
Don't despair, George.

"A hummer in every home" was my motto too - but that didn't go over too well either.

Thank God for the Marc Rich golden parachute!
SubliminAd Inc

Peterborough, NH

#70 Jun 29, 2009
What are these sneaky 'blue world pools' links popping up over random vocabulary all about.

Must be Gazprom hackers pushing for South Stream business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oleg Deripaska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Manaforta s plan to a greatly benefit the Putin... Mar '17 spocko 20
News GM recalls 1.3 million Chevrolets, Pontiacs and... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Rick 1
News Russian Press at a Glance, Thursday, February 2... (Sep '11) Sep '11 hygtred 1
News Sberbank, VTB Hunt for Dollars Weakens Ruble: R... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Arctic Region 1
News Russian Oligarch Deripaska Faces $5 Billion In ... (Dec '10) Jan '11 Zorro 34
News Russia's Glavmosstroy to build 300,000 sq m of ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 I_need_a_beer 1
News Air Transport Agency may ground 42 pct of Russi... (Aug '10) Aug '10 bolivianboy 9
More from around the web