VCRs endangered by shift to digital TV

The venerable VCR is one of the unsung casualties of the move to digital television. Read more
James Anderson Merritt

Berkeley, CA

#1 Feb 16, 2009
This is c&r(a_p. Over on the radio side, HD Radio is completely compatible with existing receivers, though quality of reception may suffer after the switch. Since we can't get completely analog-compatible digital TV, at least we need on the video side a service (ala Netflix) that delivers ALL network television programs via DVD.

Shame on the FCC, for forcing us all into a digital future that was made necessary only because the government wanted to auction off the old analog tv spectrum space to higher bidders.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#2 Feb 16, 2009
I agree. Total cr*p. This is the first I've heard about the effect the change will have on VCRs.

Just at a time when many people will have to cut non-essentials from their budgets, they will have to forgo time-shifting or pay more.

This is an evil plot to force people to pay for more services (DVRs).
ALL AMERICAN HAWK

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Feb 16, 2009
LUCKILY MY CABLE BOX ALREADY HAS A DVR BUILT INTO IT.I CAN STILL ENJOY MY PRERECORDED DVD'S AND TAPES.
Boby M

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Feb 16, 2009
THe VCR will still have its place in most home entertainment systems for a few more years. There are a lot of computer programs available for resonable prices to convert VHS to DVD. We're simply seeing todays built-in obsolesence to push the consumer to continually purchase the latest electronic format. Old BIll Gates has a winning business plan! Detroit used the similar priciples back in the 1970's. Their cars only lasted about 4-5 years before they fell apart and became costly to maintain. It's the reason the Japanese auto makers lept in with reliable vehicles!
Mr Lapin

Kent, OH

#5 Feb 17, 2009
This may be "collateral damage," but it's certainly not out of line with what the producers want. They've never liked consumers' ability to record movies and programs for personal use and permanent preservation. They'd much rather you gave them your hard-earned money for these items.

The digital future includes much tighter control over what consumers can do with program material. I hope I'm wrong, but it appears to me that their ultimate goal is to charge us for every time we watch a program or movie in our own homes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nielsen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Residents clash with polluters (Sep '11) Sep '11 bomc 1
News Vinyl Takes Another Spin With Music Lovers (Feb '09) Feb '09 Myron Schulz 3
News MySpace Music gets a major upgrade (Nov '08) Nov '08 Trevor 1
News No Oprah, No 'Dreamgirls' Bounce (Feb '07) Mar '07 rita 298
News Nas Scores Third No. 1 Album With 'Hip-Hop Is D... (Dec '06) Jan '07 kev freckle 5
News the Alien Blakk Seek New Label Home (Sep '06) Sep '06 wayne 1
News 'Idol' relishes down-home freshness (May '06) May '06 Enrique Sanchez 1
More from around the web